Collecting British...why Bother?

• Replies 395
  • Views 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just to please D The Drug...........give me ten minutes and there will be a reggae thread although I don't know where its going because it's not soul.Pete Smith won't be happy. We will be at it all year....laugh.gif

Pete's a wee bit single minded :lol: so don't worry about upsetting him. :thumbsup:

gogs

Social source share

Guest john s

When will it end......btw are we going to go on to reggae next???. Dave Kil has jumped the gun.

Jealous of that David Walker, a bugger to find! sad.gif

Social source share

Whats the Christine Quaite and Joe Wilson like?.Is the B side to the Soulmates track You Got Me Hooked?

Christine Quaite is an okay version of Jimmy Radcliffe.

Soulmates was a big record about 10 years back and even came out in the States.

You Got Me Hooked is by The jet Set on Parlophone, well the one I know is.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

hi chris, your'e just too young to understand!!

whippersnapper!!

max...

Abso-bloody-lutely! They're just Be-yoo-tiful!

post-4950-12722364633687_thumb.jpg

post-4950-12722365293661_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest mel brat

For many of us Chris, having a box of fantastic soul records on British labels still holds an attraction. It's where the UK scene started before imports became the norm. I also often wonder what the guys in the record companies in London were doing putting out some of the records they did. Steve

Right... I don't think I'd even seen a US release until C.1971 anyway, and by then I had a "wants list" as long as my arm, all on UK labels. I don't collect 60s UK sides as such - I just prefer them! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Right... I don't think I'd even seen a US release until C.1971 anyway, and by then I had a "wants list" as long as my arm, all on UK labels. I don't collect 60s UK sides as such - I just prefer them! smile.gif

hatsoff2.gif NICE QUOTE - TIP_TOP DAS GOOD! :-Heres a copy off not THE VOLUEMS on PAMA.....?

post-13241-12722421816365_thumb.jpg

Social source share

thanks for posting all those stunning label scans .Such an interesting thread ,fascinating.

hatsoff2.gif Hi Heres a couple of winners both Rare in a sort of UK collecters frame of mind? Rare = Elusive, Not cash alone/ph34r.gif DAVE K

post-13241-12722447486183_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12722447786076_thumb.jpgPAID #2Quid for this of Mick S years agoyes.gif

Social source share

post-13241-12726852438064_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726852673074_thumb.jpg[]post-13241-12726853222634_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726853502325_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726853821237_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726854636622_thumb.jpg[]post-13241-12726851848721_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726857862426_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726856782972_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726855407706.jpgpost-13241-12726855034357_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726850369317_thumb.jpgpost-13241-1272685089267_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12726851284554_thumb.jpghatsoff2.gif Hi All Did I post these:-

yes.gif the JAMES WALSH IS HARD ON A ISSUE. LALO SCHIFRIN IS A CLASSIC MOD/HAMMOND NUMBER REALY GREAT (I HAVE A MINT ISSUE FOR TRADE, IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED) BIG Sound. PIONEERS IS THE RAREST AND BETTER LOOKING AND LONGER THAN THE MERCURRY 1st Issue IS THERE A 12" COPY???THERE SHOULD BE?JOHNY NASH IS QUITE HARD AS IT IS THE ONLY DEMO I HAVE FOUND ALL THE REST HAVE BEEN ISSUES?. THE GINNY ARNELL I FOUND AT SHARESHILL CAR BOOT ALONG WITH QUEENS BOHEMIAN RAP EMI DEMO, THE JAMES WALSH ISSUE FOUND IN CHARITY SHOP IN WOLVES, THE FREDDIE WATERS IS AN OLD WHEEL SOUND OR BEDFORD BLETSO! I LOVE IT AND BEETS ALL THE MODERN STUFF ONCE AGAIN I DONT KNOW THE PRICES JUST THE RARETY OF 45,Sph34r.gif DAVE

post-13241-1272685928474_thumb.jpg

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, I know. I posted earlier about not seeing the attraction of collecting British, however I have some questions to ask of you all. Please bear with me. :yes:

1. Do you only collect UK releases, which were released in the 60's & 70's (stuff like Phillips, Stateside, Cameo etc.,)?

2. Do you also collect the newer UK releases (such as Kent, Grapevine 2000, Joe Boy, etc.,)

3. If you only collect the 60's & 70's releases, why not the newer stuff as well?

4. (Please forgive me if this question maybe going over very old and well worn ground :hatsoff2: ) Why if it's seemed acceptable to play (this is only an example) the UK release of say, Walter Jacksons Uphill Climb, but maybe not the Kent release of Unique Blend's Yes I'm In Love. Both were/are legitimate UK releases, but for some reason most if not all ovo fans would find one acceptable and the other not (imho :hatsoff2: ), why is that?

In my previous post I stated about can't seeing why buy something UK instead of US (or along those lines), since then I've been thinking about this thread. Now I have a few Kent singles and buy the odd one here and there (to be honest would like a complete set), but is buying something British more to do with us trying to keep a link with our youth? I mean there's quite a few posts on here about buying stuff as new UK releases back in 68,69,70,71 etc., but very few about buying a new UK release these days 2008, 09, 10?

This is just somethings that have been puzzling me and I just wondered what all your thoughts on the subject were/are? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I also often wonder what the guys in the record companies in London were doing putting out some of the records they did. Steve

Steve, they were smoking pipes wearing pinstriped suits in boardrooms.....when I worked at Universal, I dealt with the archiving stretching back to the late 5ts with some of the labels. I found the original licenses for one of Ernistine Anderson's releases on Philips from '64'ish.....who said 'I know, let's put this out' - it baffled me as there was no auditable trail that showed the process from an exec. thinking about it and then having it pressed up. From the horse mouth, John Schroeder told me that he picked Motown to license to Oriole because of the number of Top 10 entries they had in one week in the States. Plus I found the letters from Esther Gordy Edwards on Motown headed airmail paper to a bod at Fontana outlining which releases could be issued on the UK label....that sort of documentation is RARER than the RAREST record on one sided white label mint demo laugh.giflaugh.gif I'm just off to sniff the label of my R&W's.....biggrin.gif x

Social source share

A few more from me to keep this topic going.

Just wondering,does anyone else know or have the Shevelles on UA 1125?Great dancer,very catchy blue eyed soul.Not in JM's book.

post-4019-1272708564439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff B
Social source share

Lady Jane David Garrick..........................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmno.gif

Fair enough,maybe should have posted the other side his version of Lets go somewhere,but i thought with the black A and date, it looked nicer.Maybe not!

Social source share

THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR POSTING UP THEIR SCANS DON'T THEY LOOK GREAT thumbsup.gif SOME FANTASTIC RECORDS THERE FULL OF NOSTALGA & MEMORIES OF WHEN I FIRST STARTED COLLECTING CIRCA 1965 WHEN THE ONLY WAY OF HEARING & COLLECTING WAS ON 'BRITISH LABELS'

SO YES - COLLECTING BRITISH STILL HAS A PART TO PLAY

PETE

Social source share

I found the letters from Esther Gordy Edwards on Motown headed airmail paper to a bod at Fontana outlining which releases could be issued on the UK label.

Hi gorgeous :hatsoff2:

Interesting point you raise there...who had the final say as to what was actually going to be released in the UK (and indeed other countries!)...Motown themselves?

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi gorgeous :wave:

Interesting point you raise there...who had the final say as to what was actually going to be released in the UK (and indeed other countries!)...Motown themselves?

:g:

It must have been Motown because no way would UK Oriole have chosen Mike & The Modifiers and The Valadiers by choice!

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

The Topic starter appears to be saying, "My Hobbies better than yours"

Isn't collecting records a hobby that many enjoy regardless of music style.

Why collect UK releases, Why collect US releases, i'm sure that most people that collect records do so within the finanical constraints of Modern Lfe. Collecting four figure records which will always have an element of risk regarding holding their value is most definately not for me, though would not knock others if that's their thing. Surely the most important thing is to actually collect something you enjoy and treasure, UK issues of American recorded soul tracks are reissues, that however does not detract their appeal or values that in the most attract higher values than american counterparts.

I collect both so have no preference.

The simple fact that with a bit of effort i can find UK records in the UK at well below bargin prices, Who wants to buy my Mint- Yellow labeled Lou Johnson as it's no longer required, £40, £100 in manships as I now have a lovely M- London copy

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL.. WHAT A NICE SET OF SCANS ESPECIALLY THE ACETATES, WE NO THEY ARE RARE, BUT WHAT IS VALUE MONEY WISE?

THE FOLLOWING ARE FROM THE PYE GROUP, EXCEPR THE JR CAMPELL DERAM DEMO THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED LAST WEEK SEE RELEASE DATE? THIS GREAT SONG COME FROM THE SEDDION SINGER AT HIT THE LOWER END OF THE TOP 50 IN THE WEEKS FOLLOWING THE TORCH CLOSEING A GREAT RECORD, THE CAMEO PARKWAYS ARE ALWAYS NICE TO OWN, THE TYMES HAS THE CRACKING "MALIBU" THATS WORTH HEARING AGAIN IF IT HAS BEEN YEARS SINCE YOU PLAYED IT. THE TIMEBOX WAS ONE OF THE UKs CIRCUIT BANDS AND ALONG WITH GENO ALAN BOWN, BILLIE DAVIS, KIETH POWELL, AND JIMMY JAMES AND THE VAGS WHO RECORD A MUST HAVE VERSION OF "THIS HEART OF MINE" WHICH IS ON SOME EARLY CO PIES OF THE LIVE AT THE MARQUEE CLUB WITH ALAN BOWN ON SIDE A, GETTING BACK TO TIMEBOX WHEN THEIR "BEGGIN" WAS POPULAR. I TOURED THE UK WITH HIS BAND BOXER, A GREAT MAN AND MUSICIAN WHO SEEMED OVERWHELMED BY MY KNOWLEDGE OF HIS MUSIC AND SOUL, TIMEBOX WERE CONTROVERSIALLY AT THAT TIME WITH THE STUDENT FEMINISM (I hate any thing that ends with ISAM) THERE IS A MELODY MAKER WITH A FRONT PAGE ARTICLE ON TIMEBOX AND THE BURNING MAN AT BATH UNIV THAT MAN WAS ME, I HAD SET MYSELF ALI TE WHILE LIGHTING UO A FAG AND THE PETRO OIL FROM AN EFEX GUN HAD LEAKED OVER ME, I JUMPED OF A 15 FOOT STAGE FLAMES ALL OVER ME AND RUN THROUGH THE PROTESTERS PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WAS A PART OF THE ACT, ALSO WE DID A 5 DAY CONFERENCE AT THE NEWLY OPENED NEC IN BRUM, ALONG WITH TIMEBOX JIMMY HELMS AND ALEXIS CORNER, WE SMOKED DOPE AND HAD CARAFE'S OF RED WINE FOR BREAKFAST AND TALKED BLUES AN SOUL, ALSO I THREATENED THAT MUPPET FROM GUYS AND DOLLS HE WAS A COMPLETE ASS HOLE, AND IN FRONT OF 400 EXECUTIVES FROM THE COMMERCIAL RADIO CONFERENCE, I WAS GOING TO KNOCK HIM OUT EVERY ONE CRAPPED THEMSELVES UNTIL I SAID "THE SHOW GOES ON"..HAPPY DAYS & WHY COLLECT BRITISH? HAVE A GANDER AT THESE FEW:-ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

post-13241-12728617201507_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12728617580215_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12728618054345_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12728618451281_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12728618788083_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12728619075691_thumb.jpg

post-13241-1272861947272_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12728619845701_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12728620212372_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, I know. I posted earlier about not seeing the attraction of collecting British, however I have some questions to ask of you all. Please bear with me. :yes:

1. Do you only collect UK releases, which were released in the 60's & 70's (stuff like Phillips, Stateside, Cameo etc.,)?

2. Do you also collect the newer UK releases (such as Kent, Grapevine 2000, Joe Boy, etc.,)

3. If you only collect the 60's & 70's releases, why not the newer stuff as well?

4. (Please forgive me if this question maybe going over very old and well worn ground :thumbsup: ) Why if it's seemed acceptable to play (this is only an example) the UK release of say, Walter Jacksons Uphill Climb, but maybe not the Kent release of Unique Blend's Yes I'm In Love. Both were/are legitimate UK releases, but for some reason most if not all ovo fans would find one acceptable and the other not (imho :hatsoff2: ), why is that?

In my previous post I stated about can't seeing why buy something UK instead of US (or along those lines), since then I've been thinking about this thread. Now I have a few Kent singles and buy the odd one here and there (to be honest would like a complete set), but is buying something British more to do with us trying to keep a link with our youth? I mean there's quite a few posts on here about buying stuff as new UK releases back in 68,69,70,71 etc., but very few about buying a new UK release these days 2008, 09, 10?

This is just somethings that have been puzzling me and I just wondered what all your thoughts on the subject were/are? :thumbsup:

It's been a couple of days and still no replies to these questions? :huh: Was it something I said? :(

Social source share

1) About 99% 60's, though there are a few 70's to collect like Skullsnaps, Jon Ford, Ray merrell etc.

2) I buy what I like, if I buy Kent, Joe boy etc they would go in my reissues box.

3) I think it's because they are easily available. The 60's records were only on catalogue for a few months so it's real record collecting trying to obtain them.

Sorry the answers are brief!

Social source share

It's been a couple of days and still no replies to these questions? huh.gif Was it something I said? sad.gif

HI MATE...NO YOU AINT SAID OR DONE ANYTHING WRONG AT ALL? I AM PUTTING A FEW BITS ON HERE BECAUSE I CAN, AS I HAVE COLLECTED THEM OVER THE YEARS, YOUR SET OF QUESTIONS ARE VERY ECLCTIC AND AS YOU ARE ASKING BUT NOT REPLYING TO THE FEEDBACK I AM CURIOUS TO ACTUALLY TO WHAT THE REAL QUESTION IS THAT YOU ARE ASKING, :-

1. As I live in the UK and purch esd my 1st 45 in 65 "shapes of things" Yardbirds & the Who "mY Generation" and the 1st EP I got of my sister best Friend Joe Gibson who was 4 years older (Both Joe & my sister are on the classic film "here we go round the Mulberry Bush, Mods?) was on a UK London Label "Green Onions Pt1". Now looking at your question or any one who keeps asking this question! would you ask me if I was living in France and had buy Pop and Soul music why French or you don't have the originals it was issued and made in the UK 1st if you applied this stupid scenario apart from the UK & The USA no country in the world would have any of the most popular music of all time be it rock R&B, SOUL, FOLK, BLUES, REGGAE.
  2. It is this point I struggle with? lets get a bit of logic & history going on here, the question would not even be considered these days with receiving music digital the question of what country did your download come from is to weird even for my Acid Head (lateral thinking), you tell me how many Stax copy's of "Green ONIONS" Were knocking around the UK when it was released and available to Jo in 65 on an EP? that's put that to bed, I HOPE.
  3. The real start of my record collection started in 67/8 when I met the 1st collector, KEN ? HE WAS A GRAMMAR School kid the same age as me, but KEN who come from WEST HAM in East London collected BLUES Records and he also played a guitar, when i used to go to his place I was introduced to the BLUES Led Belly, Doctor Ross, Lux Meed Lewis, Mississippi John Hurt, Sonny Boy Williams, Little Walter, Howlin Wolf. Robert Johnson, the LP King of the Delta Blues Players is and has been an inspiration to many (why collect UK) and along with Elmore James every body had to learn the Blues as i tried with the guitar but could never get right, I Lent the Harp it was quick and easy and portable, Ken also had a collection of Blues recordings by white artist copying the blues like Cyril Davidson , John Mayel, and all the artists that were on the Blue Horizon Label these artist you could go and see at places like the Round House in Chalk Farm, The Middle Earth, I went to the Earth based on Portable Road opposite the Dog shop saw Fairport convention and Quintessence there and even closer to home the Blues-ville 67/68 clubs had taken over from the Ricky-Tic clubs Rory Gallagher Taste, Duster Bennit, Christine Perfect? Fleetwood Mac the New Yardbird, Manor House best was john Mayel and his mouth Harps in Gun Holsters Phew they were the days. It was Ken who introduced me to the Home of the Blues mag and the Paul Oliver book and LP the Story of the Blues, and my 1st look at an original US Chess recording, Very Rare Ken explained as handled all his records with care and wiped every time with EMITEX.
  4. The first imports I have mentioned before some where that meant something to me were from Jamaica and over the next 4 years i started my collection of about 1000 records initially I got the record that were om Tighten Vol-2 some of the Red Red Wine LP bad 4 from the Bang Bang Lulu Pama LP. While Mary Hopkins was winning opportunity Knocks taking the mantle from Freddie (Parrot Face) Davies Those were the Days my Friend, I thought they would never end, now Reggae came in 2 forms UK release AND JAMAICAN RELEASES, These where in several different variations called PRE RELEASE and Versions of a popular record or production of rhythm my first find was when i listoned a record by ANDY CAP who produced a version of the old FAT MAN standard that had been a hit for Derrik Morgan in 62 as REGGAE developed many JA fave had to be re recorded from SKA to the new format and FAT MAN appeared on both TROJAN AND PAMA outlets , but it was the RHYTHM track that every one love and Andy Cap turned us on to VERSION With DJ' mimicking the tune Dubbing Vocals on top, although PO-PA TOP period on treasure Isle at the time (I NOW KNOW DIFFERENT) you had to get the imported version.
  5. This leads me to the conclusion :- Soul collect ores understand that i/we collect as such we buy which means especially in the 6ts & 7ts without hearing the record at all, as such digging for new tunes in junk shops was not only fun it was profitable, if you are new to the soul scene that means you first attended after 1973, you have it so easy, if you all you need to do is type northern soul onto a computer or go to John Manships Excellent Soul Shop on the net you can buy all the records you want in and at your own pace, but you can only imagine what finding a UK SOUL CITY or ACTION is like, then what about Carl Douglas UA, or Bok Bach once you start you will be at it for years, and finally you should applaud those UK collectors who made the 1st trips to the US as there knowledge enabled the rare Soul Scene move into Northern Soul which opened the gates for modern crossover and so on, for me I will stick to collecting all soul but as Niel Rushton said or was it KEV Roberts there is nothing more satisfying as owning a a few dozen UK demos
  6. DREAM ON, if you don't get it now you need a kick, and yes i do have the Kent 6ts 100 club collection however since no 17 I did not get any more, as it was like asking Mick to give me 50 pounds for nothing every year as they fetch good money,
  7. hatsoff2.gif Dave
Social source share

Hello Dave & Pete,

My questions weren't meant to be taken as having a pop, so to speak (that's the problem with the written word).

From what you wrote, I still think alot of it is connected to our youths. As Dave stated that he bought his 1st records in '65, I know that for the only way to own alot of American music (whether it was soul, blues or whatever) was to get it on new (at the time) British releases.

All I'm trying to say is that I feel that the older UK releases seem to be held in greater esteem (or with even greater affection) than the newer releases. From what Pete said about stuff being only on catalogue for a few months, I get the impression that some at the time were probably available in greater numbers than say for instance, the current Kent Select series. Whereas the new releases nowadays will sit with record sellers (or remain for sale on ebay for evermore :D ), I'd imagine back in the day stuff that didn't sell (and let's be honest there were agreat deal more record buyers back then, than there are now) was just returned to the distributors to be disposed of. Most record shops then would probably push what was popular, which explains why theres so many Beatles and Cilla Black records at car boot sales nowadays and so few Walter Jackson uk demos :thumbsup: . I wonder if currently out there is some 14 year old who has just bought a copy of Lily Fields Changes, who in say 30 years time will be proudly showing it off to other record collectors (if there are any then) with the same affection as lot of people have posted on here.

As I wasn't buying records until 1979 (couldn't buy them in '65 as I wasn't born until '67 :lol: ), I don't have the affinity with UK releases that some others have, but I stand by what I say about connecting them to our youth, rightly or wrongly. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert