Gerri Grainger Acetate

shute

Is this the one where there were two acetates, Ady sold one to Saus who sold it on and then the other's wife broke it up? Was talking about one to Ady at Cleggy, can't remember if this was the one we were talking about :thumbsup:

Can someone post this in refosoul, full version?

Social source share

There were two copies and I sold the 2nd to Saus on the understanding that it was for him alone. I heard later that he'd sold it on to a bloke whose missus had caught him at it and had destroyed his collection including that one. Perhaps I was mislead and this is the second copy or perhaps this is a dub of one of the originals.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

OK this gets really bizarre now!

The story as far as I was concerned was how I've described it earlier so imagine my confusion when a very good friend rang me up to tell me he'd made a cock up.

He had been sifting through some old albums and 12"s which he hadn't gone through for years and in among them was a 10" acetate he knew nothing about. As he was outing a few things via John Manship he took that along and was chuffed when told it was a big money item. So it went on the auction as described and when he read the description he realised it was my record! Worried sick that he'd sold one of my top tunes, I was actually rather pleased that I'd got a super rare disc that I'd totally forgotten about and I'd have probably flogged it through John anyway.

What must have happened is that I had three not two copies and took it to the Great Yarmouth TAC weekender with him where we shared a record stall and the thing just got mixed up with his old vinyl. I probably stashed it in there when i was pissed. Though it seems ridiculous that I wouldn't know the complete story of a major discovery that I had found the only three copies of, you have to remember that this would be before it went to cult 100 Club status and it wouldn't have been as big a deal then as it is now. Also people didn't appreciate how rare, good and valuable some acetates were. I actually did a similar thing with my second copy of Lou Johnson's The Panic Is On and left it in Jim Eddlestone's LP bag, he brought it back for me at the next 100 Club and called me a c**t!

So yes it's authentic and assuming the second copy really did get broken which appears likely as its never re-emerged, is now the second copy of a very rare acetate.

Social source share

yes my good mate (*******) bought it off Steve Chadwick ,who is also a good friend

we drove to the travel lodge just off the motorway @ knutsford

he bought the studio acetate and i bought --

studio acetate 7" frankford wayne--imperial Cs

and richard caiton-- Id like to get near you--uptite

still have both mine

as the story goes-- the gerri granger is probably a bent frizbie as all mates records

were said to of been taken by his ex lady to a layby and smashed with hammer

Social source share

actually did a similar thing with my second copy of Lou Johnson's The Panic Is On and left it in Jim Eddlestone's LP bag, he brought it back for me at the next 100 Club and called me a c**t!

Aha! This has puzzled me every now and then, as way back when you first turned up the GerriG and LouJ I seem to recall talking to you about potentially purchasing one of the GerriG's, as you said you had three copies! I also believe one was cut at 78rpm...or was that the LouJ?! Anyhow, any chance we can complete the GerriG deal now, then?!

:lol:

Social source share

Current bid: £ 256.00

Time remaining: Approx. 3 days, 10 hours

still far to cheap..... get your bids in folks, golden oppertunity to own one hell of song

proberly never to be repeated

its not mine - but will plug this for anyone - unbeleiveble track - the dogs b*****ks

Social source share

hi ya shute.

andy peake here....

just to throw my hat into the ring. i had suas`s / wendy`s copy.

when i sold up i traded it with steve chadwick (AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM) for his 2nd copy of the "TRANNELS"

which ended up with my mate bob hinsley....

i also heard the story about the angry missus and the hammer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hill & Range

Why Can't It Be Tonight

Mp3 file removed as per terms of use, please use refosoul

Social source share

"Same, here but I'm assuming it's gone to a very good home and will get some plays up north now.

I reckon half a dozen collector's will be kick ing themselves!"

I know! Gill was hoping I'd have a go on it as its one of her top 5 all time faves but i'm happy with her hassling you over it instead Ady! Anything for a quiet life thumbsup.gif

God forbid a copy of Carla Thomas ever crops up!laugh.gif

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!