Guest dundeedavie

• Replies 56
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mattmale

Bloody hell, i'll pay anyone £150 for a copy. Last i heard it was at least £200! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if it's that rare, but it's the kind of sound that languishes in people's collections once they get one it seems.

Matt

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

one went at cala gran and the guy thought he paid over the odds at £125

Davie

be a pity if it has fallen into the trap of overpriced tunes cos i ain't paying £200 for it

Social source share

I think some people think ALL records should increase in value at least two times a year.....which is bad really cus its a blatant rip off when that happens, ok if its massively in demand the price will increase, but there is not a great demand for it, it seams nothing is safe :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I think some people think ALL records should increase in value at least two times a year.....which is bad really cus its a blatant rip off when that happens, ok if its massively in demand the price will increase, but there is not a great demand for it, it seams nothing is safe  :thumbsup:

link

couldn't agree more chief

Davie

Social source share

Anything more than £100 sounds over the top to me...

I paid about £40 for mine three years ago.... surely demand hasn't risen that much?

link

Paid £25 about 5 years ago - saw it rise to about £60 / £70 about 2 years back and thought that was about as high as it would go....if anything interest on the Northern Scene seemed to die off after that.

Agree with Joe - £100 max, though £80 sounds more than fair.

Then again, this is what happens when R&B gets accepted by the Northern Scene.

Same happened with the likes of A C Reid, which should be a £30 record in reality....(and a hundred other tunes to boot) :lol:

So what's the going rate on Willie McDougal 'Don't turn away' nowadays? :thumbsup:

Glad I buy these things when the majority still class them as Rock'n'Roll :lol:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

I'm as willing as the next person to pay less than £100 for this. I love it, but it went for $255 on ebay in april. :thumbsup: I'll be surprised if anyone will sell it for less than £100 these days once a precedent has been set. :lol:

Like Davie, i'd love to own one but not at a rip-off price.

Matt

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

Like Davie, i'd love to own one but not at a rip-off price.

Matt

link

...and that is the logic that is needed off everyone to bring prices of such items down to a realistic level.

If everyone said the same dealers would have to lower prices...but not everyone will (and will admit to being a hypocrite at this point as I've done the same myself many times in the past) :thumbsup:

There are still certain records that I would probably pay over the odds to own, top wants and the like, but on the whole I have turned plenty of things down in the last year or so, to eventually get them much cheaper a few months later from a different source. :lol:

Social source share

Then again, this is what happens when R&B gets accepted by the Northern Scene.

Same happened with the likes of A C Reid, which should be a £30 record in reality....(and a hundred other tunes to boot) :yes:

So what's the going rate on Willie McDougal 'Don't turn away' nowadays? :lol:

Glad I buy these things when the majority still class them as Rock'n'Roll :D

link

AC Reid...£30....even thats too expensive :lol::yes: was literally 100's about at one time, think most ahd trouble giving em away never mind selling them for the fiver it was fetching :lol:

Willie McDougal, would say in the region of £150 now. Biggie at Queens Hall in Bradford in the 80's for Carl Fortnum. Got one late 80's, can't remember what I paid. Forget what I sold it for too :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

AC Reid...£30....even thats too expensive  :lol:   :yes:   was literally 100's about at one time, think most ahd trouble giving em away never mind selling them for the fiver it was fetching  :D

Willie McDougal, would say in the region of £150 now.  Biggie at Queens Hall in Bradford in the 80's for Carl Fortnum.  Got one late 80's, can't remember what I paid.  Forget what I sold it for too  :thumbsup:   :lol:

link

Probably right on A C Reid, but think £30 is fair - compared to £100 + I've seen it for many times (has anyone actually ever sold one for that amount? :lol: )

Used to pick them up on the mod scene for £4 in the late 80's.......along with many other items that are £50+ nowadays.

Thought Willie McDougal was about £80, so if Chalky says £150 it will probably fetch £300 :yes:

Result!

Looking forward to having same conversation about Little Annie in 9 months time :lol: ...after seeing Jo Ann Henderson fetch £480 or thereabouts...looks like R&B is the new Northern.... :D

Social source share

Guest rachel

Probably right on A C Reid, but think £30 is fair - compared to £100 + I've seen it for many times (has anyone actually ever sold one for that amount? :thumbsup: )

Used to pick them up on the mod scene for £4 in the late 80's.......along with many other items that are £50+ nowadays.

Thought Willie McDougal was about £80, so if Chalky says £150 it will probably fetch £300  :lol:

Result!

Looking forward to having same conversation about Little Annie in 9 months time :yes: ...after seeing Jo Ann Henderson fetch £480 or thereabouts...looks like R&B is the new Northern.... :lol:

link

Playing devil's advocate here a little :lol: It's always the same when a sound becomes in demand on two scenes... funk/soul for example... more people want it so price goes up. And then the two scenes like to wind each other up over who 'had it first' :lol::yes:

Social source share

...and that is the logic that is needed off everyone to bring prices of such items down to a realistic level.

If everyone said the same dealers would have to lower prices...but not everyone will (and will admit to being a hypocrite at this point as I've done the same myself many times in the past) :thumbsup:

link

Do all my buying on ebay now much easyer on the pocket, all though do do a little buying from deallers as long as the price is right :lol:

Social source share

Playing devil's advocate here a little  :lol: It's always the same when a sound becomes in demand on two scenes... funk/soul for example... more people want it so price goes up. And then the two scenes like to wind each other up over who 'had it first'  :thumbsup:   :lol:

link

Not really debating where it was spun first Rachel, only ever went Stafford once near the end, so never heard it there, but got to know it off the mod scene in the late 80s....no question about it being R&B though..... :lol:

Point being, if the Northern Scene hadn't picked up on it again a few years back it would still be £30 / £40 max.

Social source share

Do all my buying on ebay now much easyer on the pocket, all though do do a little buying from deallers as long as the price is right :thumbsup:

link

I buy plenty off ebay, both for myself and to sell on.

Don't like sending silly amounts of money overseas though, so prefer to buy any biggies from U.K. dealers...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Point being, if the Northern Scene hadn't picked up on it again a few years back it would still be £30 / £40 max.

link

and frankly it's getting right on my tits :thumbsup:

Davie

Social source share

and frankly it's getting right on my tits  :lol:

Davie

link

You have to try and get in there early mate....only takes a few weeks nowadays and the game is over :lol::lol::lol:

Have heard things up Hideaway etc in the past, and have picked a few copies up off ebay within a week or so and then bang...every f*ckers onto it! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Fairly sure Keb and Guy were both spiining it at one time. I got mine for £30 at Stafford. Surprised to hear people were still buying it for that price five years ago.

I dont particularly like it any more, but wont sell, just because it's a physical part of my Stafford memories.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

You have to try and get in there early mate....only takes a few weeks nowadays and the game is over :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Have heard things up Hideaway etc in the past, and have picked a few copies up off ebay within a week or so and then bang...every f*ckers onto it! :thumbsup:

link

getting in there early is the trick and no doubt you have to be part of the club to do that ....

i'll have to carry on buying the tunes when they go mental lolol

Davie

Social source share

Guest rachel

Not really debating where it was spun first Rachel, only ever went Stafford once near the end, so never heard it there, but got to know it off the mod scene in the late 80s....no question about it being R&B though..... :lol:

link

Nah I know you're not, having been involved in both mod and soul scenes heard a lot of these debates though and one scene 'blaming' the other for pinching their tunes and putting the prices up. Not saying you're doing that though. Oh I'll shut up now :thumbsup:

Prices are getting silly when things people bought a couple of years ago have more than doubled :lol:

Social source share

getting in there early is the trick and no doubt you have to be part of the club to do that ....

link

Not really mate - have heard loads of tunes just by delving through record boxes at Hideaway and making mental notes.....not just R&B either.

Then back home for 3.00 a.m. and straight on ebay!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

It's always been played on the Northern Scene, just gained some what in popularity with the returnees. Not going down the R&B route again :lol::lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Darrow Fletcher is another one...what the f*ck is going on there

£100+ lately.... :lol:   :thumbsup:   :lol:

Was a common joke on the mod scene that no Darrow Fletcher U.S. 45 would fetch more than £4..................they were everywhere!

link

which Darrow Fletcher record?

Social source share

It's always been played on the Northern Scene, just gained some what in popularity with the returnees.  Not going down the R&B route again  :yes:   :lol:   :lol:

link

Wheel / Torch / Wigan....??????? :lol: (someone will probably tell me it was played at Wheel now!!!)

To be fair, it is a tune that does easily crossover in that Bud Harper et al group of Northern / R&B.

Just like to throw a few lines out when these threads come up........always seem to catch something decent... :yes::thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Fairly sure Keb and Guy were both spiining it at one time. I got mine for £30 at Stafford. Surprised to hear people were still buying it for that price five years ago.

I dont particularly like it any more, but wont sell, just because it's a physical part of my Stafford memories.

link

It was Dave Thorley's top tune at Stafford

think it's the last number on the Label

Social source share

About 100-150 at a guess davie i think :thumbsup:

link

:shhh::P:D I'll have as many copies as you've got for that price mate. Have tried to buy this on ebay many times, goes for £200-£250 every time. Pat Brady wanted £300 for a copy :thumbsup: Always thought the record was fantastic, still do. Great dancer. The problem is when you get a record of this quality, everybody wants it, and those that have it don't want to part with it. I may be wrong but I think that the mods are the ones that pay very high prices for this one.

Phil.

Social source share

Have tried to buy this on ebay many times, goes for £200-£250 every time. Pat Brady wanted £300 for a copy :thumbsup:

link

:thumbsup: £200 - £300 :shhh:

Waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much.

Anybody paying this sort of price should be singing..

'Oh, oh, oh, I've been robbed, so many times...' :P

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

:thumbsup: £200 - £300 :thumbsup:

'Oh, oh, oh, I've been robbed, so many times...' :shhh:

link

won't be me ...... very few records i'd put in that bracket

Davie

Social source share

won't be me ...... very few records i'd put in that bracket

Davie

link

Ah you say that now Davie lad.......

I think most of us vinyl junkies experience the same 'ever expanding boundaries' once we start collecting.

It starts off with the ones that cost a couple of quid, to the tenners and onto the fifty quidders...into a slippery slope from then on.....I remember thinking I was off my head for paying £150 For L. Allen many years ago.....and never imagined paying four figures for a record..... :thumbsup:

Tis a disease is collecting records mate..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

It starts off with the ones that cost a couple of quid, to the tenners and onto the fifty quidders...into a slippery slope from then on.....I remember thinking I was off my head for paying £150 For L. Allen many years ago.....and never imagined paying four figures for a record..... :thumbsup:

link

Unfortunately this is so true these days. Unless you have good contacts in the states or go there regularly on hunts where else can you buy but ebay and dealers? Even dealers who are mates still have to make a profit.

I've experienced the slippery slope over the last few years and swore blind i'd never pay stupid prices, but i know i have. My 'ceiling' has crept up and up.. :P

Sometimes i wonder if it's worth it..... What am i saying!! :shhh:

P.S. I just restrained myself for bidding on Johnny Howard on ebay. It went for £255 about an hour ago. Now that was willpower :thumbsup: Must buy some food for the children tomorrow....

M.

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

:shhh:   :P   :D I'll have as many copies as you've got for that price mate. Have tried to buy this on ebay many times, goes for £200-£250 every time. Pat Brady wanted £300 for a copy :thumbsup: Always thought the record was fantastic, still do. Great dancer. The problem is when you get a record of this quality, everybody wants it, and those that have it don't want to part with it. I may be wrong but I think that the mods are the ones that pay very high prices for this one.

Phil.

link

No wonder most things are way over priced :thumbsup:

Social source share

ranting_1.gif £200 - £300 whistling.gif

'Oh, oh, oh, I've been robbed, so many times...' :thumbsup:

link

I'm always amused by this type of topic.

It's on a par with the "did you see what ??? went for on Manship's Auction? They must be mental etc. etc." posts that should be boring us all rigid by now.

We buy records in a scene where values are essentially meaningless and frequently overhyped. None of the record we buy are actually "worth" what we pay for them in reality. It's mostly a bizarre oneupmanship exercise. We feel better about paying more for records than we should. This is the essence of the Rare Soul scene, rightly or wrongly (I personally think wrongly).

Look at the Vanguards Good Times, Bad Times. How many of you brave souls would have given Rod Dearlove £25 for the copies he had for ages, when it was an obscure oddity? Many are happier buying one now for Four figures now it's been hammered to death.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. If a constant stream of people are willing to pay £2-300 for this record (or any other) then it's true to say that that's its value. Because it was a £25 record 10 years ago (when I bought mine) it doesn't necessarily mean that this should still be the case. If you had a copy of this would you sell it for what YOU think it should be worth? I doubt it.

The last few copies I've seen for sale on E-Bay have all gone for well over £200. Some dealers are listing it for more, so I guess it really is selling (again and again) for that amount. Dealers are (mostly) realistic, if mercenary. If they are aware that a particular record is popular they'll cane it for all it's worth, because these days you never know when you'll see a copy of the thing again for less. Very few records I've bought in the last 10 or so years are actually worth less than the purchase price.

Maybe the Rare Soul Scene should be nationalised with a maximum price of £5 (linked to inflation) for all 45s. THAT would put the cat amongst the pigeons!

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

It's on a par with the "did you see what ??? went for on Manship's Auction? They must be mental etc. etc." posts that should be boring us all rigid by now.

We buy records in a scene where values are essentially meaningless and frequently overhyped. None of the record we buy are actually "worth" what we pay for them in reality. It's mostly a bizarre oneupmanship exercise. We feel better about paying more for records than we should. This is the essence of the Rare Soul scene, rightly or wrongly (I personally think wrongly).

Look at the Vanguards Good Times, Bad Times. How many of you brave souls would have given Rod Dearlove £25 for the copies he had for ages, when it was an obscure oddity? Many are happier buying one now for Four figures now it's been hammered to death.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. If a constant stream of people are willing to pay £2-300 for this record (or any other) then it's true to say that that's its value. Because it was a £25 record 10 years ago (when I bought mine) it doesn't necessarily mean that this should still be the case. If you had a copy of this would you sell it for what YOU think it should be worth? I doubt it.

The last few copies I've seen for sale on E-Bay have all gone for well over £200. Some dealers are listing it for more, so I guess it really is selling (again and again) for that amount. Dealers are (mostly) realistic, if mercenary. If they are aware that a particular record is popular they'll cane it for all it's worth, because these days you never know when you'll see a copy of the thing again for less. Very few records I've bought in the last 10 or so years are actually worth less than the purchase price.

Maybe the Rare Soul Scene should be nationalised with a maximum price of £5 (linked to inflation) for all 45s. THAT would put the cat amongst the pigeons!

link

This makes sense to me. I missed out on the last eBay sale by a whisker then got offered one from a bloke in Holland off-line. Didn't hesitate to agree to USD300 which is about 160 quid. Difficult to find "bargains" (whatever that means in vinyl-land) when you don't live in UK so you just have to grab your wants whenever they become available. So for me at least the value of Larry Davis is 160 quid.

Cheers

Pete Down Under ranting_1.gif

PS did somebody say its R&B? To my ears its an out & out Northern Dancer.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

This makes sense to me.  I missed out on the last eBay sale by a whisker then got offered one from a bloke in Holland off-line.  Didn't hesitate to agree to USD300 which is about 160 quid.  Difficult to find "bargains" (whatever that means in vinyl-land) when you don't live in UK so you just have to grab your wants whenever they become available.  So for me at least the value of Larry Davis is 160 quid.

Cheers

Pete Down Under ranting_1.gif

PS did somebody say its R&B? To my ears its an out & out Northern Dancer.

link

Christ I just realised the name of the Dutch bloke who sold it to me...

Gerrit Robs

No shit.

Social source share

Christ I just realised the name of the Dutch bloke who sold it to me...

Gerrit Robs

No shit.

link

Been thinking about selling my demo for a while, however everytime I think about I put it on the turntable ............then it goes straight back into the collection, great record...... ranting_1.gif

Social source share

link

The Tangeers is in this catagory cant remember the last time there was Not one for sale on ebay and yet it still goes for £350+

Social source share

link

It is true that most dealers will want top dollar for any item - but most dealers I know (including myself if I had a spare) would sell this for the £100 mark (in fact I'm sure I saw one on a list a few months back for £80.

To say there is a steady stream of buyers willing to pay £200 because it has fetched that on ebay is not necessarily true either, as it only take 2 buyers who are willing to pay over the odds to take the selling price to such a level (would be interested on the 3rd, 4th and 5th bidders highest bidds on such items)

Also, such auctions may include 'ghost bidders' pushing the price up for the seller (ie if the seller has more than one ID)

We all know this happens. :thumbsup:

How many times have you seen somthing go for silly money on ebay whilst you have a spare second copy.

You offer to the second highest bidder, and many times you'll get no reply or an answer along the lines of 'I've just got one off a website' or 'I'm not sure I still want it now' ranting_1.gif

Manships auctions have always been a point of discussion, and a healthy one in my eyes.

He recently auctioned the Ascots 'Another day' for over £1000.

I've just bought a M- off a well known U.K. dealer (who knows his stuff) for £400.

How does that work then...........? whistling.gif

Social source share

It is true that most dealers will want top dollar for any item - but most dealers I know (including myself if I had a spare) would sell this for the £100 mark (in fact I'm sure I saw one on a list a few months back for £80.

link

I would have thought that on a list this would now be £175ish ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert