Crossover Soul

Tommy1

CAN ANY BODY WHO PASSIONATELY COLLECTS CROSSOVER GIVE A DEFINITIVE DEFAMATION ON THERE USE OF THE WORD CROSSOVER, AS THIS THREAD WILL BECOME POINTLESS, INSTEAD OF CONSTRUCTIVE??

SOUL BROTHER :D DAVE KIL

Dave - Just as classic Northern Soul is music from the mid to late 60's - Crossover Soul is from the period late 60's to early 70's.

Simple as that.

Music that 'Crossed Over' the decades.

That's it.

No other explanation necessary.

But if you're still unsure - buy this CD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-My-Groove-Crossover-South/dp/B003WRK0OE/ref=pd_ts_m_h__44?ie=UTF8&s=music

Crossover Soul currently in the Amazon Top 50... and every home should have one!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/386760011/ref=pd_ts_pg_3?ie=UTF8&pg=3

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

• Replies 119
  • Views 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There is a ballad topic in refosoul somewhere. Thats where things start to get confusing when tracks that aren't what the topic is about are added.

Sorry just seen this Chalky - I think the Crossover thread has long had an anything goes policy - I think must of us know what the definition of Crossover is but the regular contributors to the thread who tend to be broad minded often post tunes that fall outside of that strict definition and don't allow themselves to be restricted by a beat, time period or format ( CD tracks are sometimes included). I don't really think there is any confusion amongst the regulars but Baz has changed the heading of the thread to reflect the eclectic nature of the thread.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL,, THANKS MATE & SEAN, I HAVE GOT THE RIGHT PICTURE IN MY NOGGIN, SO WE CAN AGREE, CROSSOVER MEANING IS SOUL GOOD SOUL, THAT FOURSOME REASON THE SOUL SCENE HAS IGNORED OR TOTALLY MISSED, AND CROSSOVER IS THAT YOU HIGH LITE THE RECORDS EXISTENCE BUT ESSENTIALLY IT'S QUALITY, AS A SCENE FOR WANT OF BETTER WORDS, PEOPLE SHARE THERE FINDS AND TURN OTHERS ON TO IT EITHER BY DJ'ING SOUND SWAPPING AND PLAYING DOWN THE PHONE, ALMOST THE SAME WAY AS THE RAREUPTEMPO SOUL SCENE HAS DONE SINCE IT'S FORMATION, BUT WITHOUT THE LIMITS OR REMIT, ANYTHING GOES, IF THAT'S RIGHT OR CLOSE, YOU HAVE 100000'S OF RECORDS TO KEEP YOU HAPPY, :yes:

FINALLY I HAVE LISTENED TO JAMAICAN MUSIC FOR YEARS IN PARTICULAR REGGAE, I CANT STAND THE TERM OF CALLING EARLY REGGAE AS SKINHEAD REGGAE, I YET TO MEET SOMEONE APART FROM THOSE PEOPLE I KNOW WHO HEARD ALL THE REGGAE THAT'S NAMED SKINHEAD REGGAE 68 TO 71, POST 71 THE SKINHEAD CULT WAS OVER, I AM AN OLD ORIGINAL BOVVER BOY, AND HAVE NEVER RECOGNIZED ANYONE WHO CLAIMS TO BE SKINHEAD WHO WAS UNDER 15 IN 1968, THATS MY RANT OVER :yes:

:D DAVE KIL

Social source share

Sean. Having followed this thread with some amusement .. and now with comprehensive clarity as to the particular 'crossover' meaning the thread was intended to cover, I commend you on the patient, clear thinking, reasonability of your posts. So many tags and divisions to break up a wholesome thing which we all love. What's it called again?

Social source share

Sorry just seen this Chalky - I think the Crossover thread has long had an anything goes policy - I think must of us know what the definition of Crossover is but the regular contributors to the thread who tend to be broad minded often post tunes that fall outside of that strict definition and don't allow themselves to be restricted by a beat, time period or format ( CD tracks are sometimes included). I don't really think there is any confusion amongst the regulars but Baz has changed the heading of the thread to reflect the eclectic nature of the thread.

Cheers

Manus

Not saying what posted is in any way bad. I know mnost of us are aware of what is what and all fine with what is in there but I've seen comments got to the Crossover Friday topic to find out what crossover is, some will go away thinking ballads as crossover.

Keep doing what you do, some great music in the topic.

I'd have called it Simply Soul or something like :ohmy:

Social source share

Sean. Having followed this thread with some amusement .. and now with comprehensive clarity as to the particular 'crossover' meaning the thread was intended to cover, I commend you on the patient, clear thinking, reasonability of your posts. So many tags and divisions to break up a wholesome thing which we all love. What's it called again?

You're very welcome Doc.

Your last played clip (JJ Barnes) is a superb example of 'Crossover Soul' - Soul music from the late 60's / early 70's (post Motown Hit Sound - Pre DISCO).

Great record too, regardless of when it was made.

Many thanks,

:D

Sean

Social source share

...I'd have called it Simply Soul or something like :D

I used to do a small gig in Durham City in the '90s called 'Nothing But Soul' just to play soul music, new and old or whatever. It was a bit of a low-profile event mainly for mates and like-minded people who had nowhere else to go on a Monday night.

There was no pressure on getting the numbers or packing the dancefloor so it was a chance to be self-indulgent.

Social source share

Not saying what posted is in any way bad. I know mnost of us are aware of what is what and all fine with what is in there but I've seen comments got to the Crossover Friday topic to find out what crossover is, some will go away thinking ballads as crossover.

Keep doing what you do, some great music in the topic.

I'd have called it Simply Soul or something like :lol:

:D

Social source share

I used to do a small gig in Durham City in the '90s called 'Nothing But Soul' just to play soul music, new and old or whatever. It was a bit of a low-profile event mainly for mates and like-minded people who had nowhere else to go on a Monday night.

There was no pressure on getting the numbers or packing the dancefloor so it was a chance to be self-indulgent.

Pity I was living in the south at this time Paul - must have been some fantastic music played.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

:D HI ALL...TURN THE CAPS OFF, SO YOU CAN SEE BETTER? THAT'S A TED MASSEY'S, "CATCH PHRASE"....:lol: .

As you have asked me to, i will oblige, but I don't see how it improves your eyes, I suffer from block eye, and it helps me see better, block eye and Wrigley jaw are the long term effects of all-nighters, the pupils get stuck open wide, you think I jest,

As you have asked me to do you a favor, it's your turn to do one for me? yes i will list a few records from my collection of quality soul music, and all you or anyone need to do is yes if it's crossover, unsure as it fits in another bag defiantly not, you are having a laugh, write piss taker!

1. THE THIRD GUITAR - SAD GIRL - ROJAC,

2. FRANK LYNCH - YOUNG GIRL - MY RECORD,

3, GEORGE WILSON - "HERE STANDS THE MAN WHO NEEDS YOU" - BLACK CIRCLE/

4. LITTLE JOHNNY TAYLOR - WILL GIVE IT BACK TO YOU - ICHIBAN.

5. CLARANCE CARTER - MESSIN WITH MY MIND - ICHIBAN

6. NEWCOMERS - THE WHOLE WORLD IS A PICTURE SHOW - TRUTH

7.THE KNIGHTS - LOVE KNOCKED YOU DOWN - LITTLE STAR/

8. LARRY MARKS - EYE TO EYE - PALA.

9. TEMPREES - COME AND GET YOUR LOVE - WE PRODUCE

10. WILLIAM BELL - THE MAN IN THE STREET - STAX.

11. DERRICK HARRIOTT - TOGETHER - UK. ISLAND WI-245

12 FRANKIE GEARING - TEARS ON MY PILLOW B/W CHILD PLEASE - SOUND SOUND RF 1004

13. KEN LAZARUS - THE RECORD - JA-SOUL

14. 125th STREET CANDY STORE - STRANGE SENSATION - UPTITE.

15. THE INVERTS - LOOK ON YOUR FACE - TOWER (REISSUE)

AND THE LAST ONE, IS JUST A GREAT SOUL RECORD AND ONE OF THE TOP SOUL ACTS OF ALL TIME?

16. MAZE - WHILE I AM ALONE - CAPITOL, IF THIS AIN'T SOUL I WILL "CROSSOVER". ALL THESE YEARS AND I CLASS THEM ALL,

IN THE CATEGORY:- YOU HAVE GOT TO HERE THIS ONE, IT'S RARE, IT'S AN ALL TIE CLASSIC. HANG ON 3 MORE BEFORE I GO, AS YOU MUST GOTTA HERE THIS CLASSIC :lol: DAVE KILWORTH .

Social source share

Guest Brett F

:( HI ALL...TURN THE CAPS OFF, SO YOU CAN SEE BETTER? THAT'S A TED MASSEY'S, "CATCH PHRASE"....:yes: .

As you have asked me to, i will oblige, but I don't see how it improves your eyes, I suffer from block eye, and it helps me see better, block eye and Wrigley jaw are the long term effects of all-nighters, the pupils get stuck open wide, you think I jest,

As you have asked me to do you a favor, it's your turn to do one for me? yes i will list a few records from my collection of quality soul music, and all you or anyone need to do is yes if it's crossover, unsure as it fits in another bag defiantly not, you are having a laugh, write piss taker!

AND THE LAST ONE, IS JUST A GREAT SOUL RECORD AND ONE OF THE TOP SOUL ACTS OF ALL TIME?

16. MAZE - WHILE I AM ALONE - CAPITOL, IF THIS AIN'T SOUL I WILL "CROSSOVER". ALL THESE YEARS AND I CLASS THEM ALL,

IN THE CATEGORY:- YOU HAVE GOT TO HERE THIS ONE, IT'S RARE, IT'S AN ALL TIE CLASSIC. HANG ON 3 MORE BEFORE I GO, AS YOU MUST GOTTA HERE THIS CLASSIC ph34r.gif DAVE KILWORTH .

Hi Dave,

Maze isn't crossover in my world, just a brilliant soulful 70's record. period, i'd class Frankie Beverly's original early 70's take of the song on Gregar records as crossover though...all in all Dave, Frank Lynch, Newcomers, William Bell etc fit into what i'd term crossover, but i feel the term 'Crossover' is an elastic and loose term, its very subjective and people have their own take on it, but i feel in general most venues where 'crossover' is heavily featured ( example, Dab Of Soul, Nantwich, Filthy Soul, London ) all have more or less the same understanding of that sound. ( ps, whats the flip to Larry Marks on Pala ?)

Brett.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

:thumbsup: HI BRETT... LARRY MARKS VOICE, I WILL SAY POWERFUL, STRONG & SOULFUL SOUTHERN , WITH THE ABILITY TO HIT SWEET HIGH NOTES, NOT FALSETTO, ON THIS RECORD BUT VERY ENJOYABLE, THE FLIP, DEPENDING ON MOOD WOULD BE MY CHOICE, IT'S RHYTHM IS GREAT, MID TEMPO SHUFFLE NATIVE AMERICAN IN IT'S STRUCTURE, SOUNDS LIKE RED INDIANS DANCING ARON'S A TOTEM POLE, IT'S TITLE IS :- EYE TO EYE THE ARRANGER IS THE GREAT HAROLD BATISTE, IT#S ON PALA 175, NOT A CLUE AT WHAT IT'S VALUE IS, BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS RECORD AS A GOOD BUY WITH 2 VERY SOULFUL SONGS, THAT WOULD FIT INTO A PLAY LIST EASY,I RARE IT AS **** BOTH SIDES/

AS TO CROSSOVER AS A DESCRIPTIVE, FROM NOW ON FOR ME IT WILL MEAN, GREAT SOUL FROM MY COLLECTION THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND TO OTHERS, AS RARE GOES, I AM PREPARED TO EAT MY WORDS ON EARLY REMARKS, AS ALTHOUGH ON MY LIST NOTHING MASSIVE, RECORDS LIKE JACKIE GEARINGS ARE DIFFICULT TO GET, BUT WORTH TRACKING DOWN, HOWEVER THERES NOTHING BETTER THAN A WOLVERHAMPTON STOMPERS, KTF AND IF YOU LIKE ANY OF THE RECORDS, SEE BUTCH, TELL HIM I SENT YOU, :lol: DAVE

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL...TURN THE CAPS OFF, SO YOU CAN SEE BETTER? THAT'S A TED MASSEY'S, "CATCH PHRASE"....:lol: .

IN THE CATEGORY:- YOU HAVE GOT TO HERE THIS ONE, IT'S RARE, IT'S AN ALL TIE CLASSIC. HANG ON 3 MORE BEFORE I GO, AS YOU MUST GOTTA HERE THIS CLASSIC :lol: DAVE KILWORTH .

Some great records in that list Dave

George Wilson a big fav of mine, and Newcomers is a fantastic double sider, with a great deep flip :lol:

steve

Hi Dave,

Maze isn't crossover in my world, just a brilliant soulful 70's record. period, i'd class Frankie Beverly's original early 70's take of the song on Gregar records as crossover though...all in all Dave, Frank Lynch, Newcomers, William Bell etc fit into what i'd term crossover, but i feel the term 'Crossover' is an elastic and loose term, its very subjective and people have their own take on it, but i feel in general most venues where 'crossover' is heavily featured ( example, Dab Of Soul, Nantwich, Filthy Soul, London ) all have more or less the same understanding of that sound. ( ps, whats the flip to Larry Marks on Pala ?)

Brett.

Brett, flip to "Eye To Eye" is "Lookin Through The Eyes Of Love" (not the Marlena Shaw tune, tho the lyrics are certainly similar? mebs an ans. tune?)

Kev Cane posted it up in the "crossover thread a year or so back, they about £30

steve

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hu Dave, Steve, yes I have the 45' on pala, but I play the looking through the eyes of love, and didn't recognize the flip Dave listed.

Atb Brett

Social source share

Hi Dave,

Brett.

isn't the maze record an identical recording to frankie beverly on gregar??

Social source share

thanks, they are similar sounding enough that I never listened closely (although they are clearly different recordings listening back to back). What is it about the first version that makes it crossover but the second not crossover? Thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert