Frederick Hymes Iii - Time Ain'T Gonna Do Me No Favour (Fab Vegas)

Guest aflynn

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dave Have you read my comments on threads to do with this? AS I took an over indulgent interest in this record.

Im telling you that the evidence suggest they were pressed up and to say it wasnt around in the 70s etc is a misnoma - Isnt thats what the Northern scene was about - finding new things one year after another and is still happening to a lesser degree today.

Their are new people on the scene Dave and this site IMO is to help them when purchasing records - Its called "Informed choice" Dont tell me you never made a mistake cos I certainly have on quite a few occasions and would have welcomed the advice of be careful! etc.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz how does that help the individual?

ATB Steve

Social source share

Because its all been said before steve. Did anybody have this before the mid 90s and every copy i seen looks and feels the same. To be honest i'd had a shed load of beer at the chillout yesdy hic and didnt have time for it

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please put up the old thread where I believe we spoke about Sam's original copy and the difference to the others knocking about :rolleyes: .

Social source share

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please put up the old thread where I believe we spoke about Sam's original copy and the difference to the others knocking about :thumbsup: .

i know sam had the first copy and it wasnt cheap. but he had it around 1999 and not before. in what way was it different.is there a scan of it ? who has that copy now? i know it was done as a ballad in the 70`s by some other bloke called hymes( first name escapes me). saw it at andy dysons when fredrick111 first surfaced. i thought all the copies came from the same source in the states around 10 years ago and the first copies were £1000 and over the next 3 or 4 years and it tumbled down in value. fair enough its very in demand these days and has gone back up to £200 as the copies have long dried up. but i`d love to see a copy thats different so i can be totally convinced. and by the way its still a tremendous 45

dave

Social source share

i know sam had the first copy and it wasnt cheap. but he had it around 1999 and not before. in what way was it different.is there a scan of it ? who has that copy now? i know it was done as a ballad in the 70`s by some other bloke called hymes( first name escapes me). saw it at andy dysons when fredrick111 first surfaced. i thought all the copies came from the same source in the states around 10 years ago and the first copies were £1000 and over the next 3 or 4 years and it tumbled down in value. fair enough its very in demand these days and has gone back up to £200 as the copies have long dried up. but i`d love to see a copy thats different so i can be totally convinced. and by the way its still a tremendous 45

dave

its tony hymes on azibul. Possibly / probably same personits a much slower stripped down version ?

moerer had at least a couple up on ebay for auction in last couple of years. The 2 I saw were both used records not deadstock.

Social source share

Picking lots of plays up again, and still sounding good, glad we never moved our copy on yes.gif

Back in the taking out box for sure.

got mine off ebay about three years ago,got outbid and was then given a second chance offer,seller must have had a few copies at that time,yep still in the collection

Mick

Social source share

its tony hymes on azibul. Possibly / probably same personits a much slower stripped down version ?

moerer had at least a couple up on ebay for auction in last couple of years. The 2 I saw were both used records not deadstock.

It's actually ToNNy. Andy Mac also had a copy for years. It is the same guy if you ask me.

Social source share

Would be great if someone could post up some real evidence of the two different pressings existing and not just stuff like "I saw a copy once and it looked different from the other one".

This way we're only going around in circles.

Scans, photos, matrix details, record held in front of a light source (proving the alleged transparency in vinyl) etc. would be superb. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Well yes that would be easy if we could do that Sebastian. Unfortunately in the heat of the record bar at Cleethorpes with frenzied buying and selling going on, I forgot to ask for a scan :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I assume the other theory is that it was pressed up by the Las Vegas lot in the 90ss? If I am reading this thread correctly....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Would be great if someone could post up some real evidence of the two different pressings existing and not just stuff like "I saw a copy once and it looked different from the other one".

This way we're only going around in circles.

Scans, photos, matrix details, record held in front of a light source (proving the alleged transparency in vinyl) etc. would be superb. :thumbsup:

Posting the evidence would mean some admitting they paid over the odds (way over the odds in some cases) for a re-issue Seb ph34r.gif

Social source share

thats the boy dylan. just couldnt remember off the top of my head :thumbsup:

dave

Social source share

Well yes that would be easy if we could do that Sebastian. Unfortunately in the heat of the record bar at Cleethorpes with frenzied buying and selling going on, I forgot to ask for a scan :lol::thumbsup:

I assume the other theory is that it was pressed up by the Las Vegas lot in the 90ss? If I am reading this thread correctly....

well thats what i think steve altho its not a reissue as such because it never existed before 1998. only in the ballad format by tonny hymes

dave

dave

Social source share

Well yes that would be easy if we could do that Sebastian. Unfortunately in the heat of the record bar at Cleethorpes with frenzied buying and selling going on, I forgot to ask for a scan :lol::thumbsup:

You're just not trying hard enough! :lol: :lol:

But seriously, do you know who bought it?

Can that person (or someone he/she knows) throw up some scans/info on here?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Well on the other thread John Manship says there is no proof there was a boot..................but got me thinking, what if this so called 'original' copy was in fact a boot...and all the others are originals..................ph34r.gifwink.gif

Ps...got my copy out again, held it up to the light, can't see a thing through the vinyl, it has clear edged text plus a blunt edge not sharp.

Plus..I don't really care for the tune anymore, but seeing as i don't sell my records i can't help the initial poster.......

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

I have Sams Copy ! -Get John Weston on here because we compared them at the Ritz in Manchester and thats why the difference in blurred text under a spyglass/ see through vinyl as opposed to thick vinyl you cannot see through. sharp edge of record as opposed to blunt edge of record suggested that it had been repressed together with a statement form a dealer in the US that shocked me but obviuosly he wouldnt admit it directly.

AS for John Manship I cant remember if I sent my copy to him and the 2 copies he had might have been both originals or both boots because they are very similar. Very much like the Dwight franklins.

Anyhow Im just saying to anyone just have a :thumbsup: look before you buy thats all!

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I have Sams Copy ! -Get John Weston on here because we compared them at the Ritz in Manchester and thats why the difference in blurred text under a spyglass/ see through vinyl as opposed to thick vinyl you cannot see through. sharp edge of record as opposed to blunt edge of record suggested that it had been repressed together with a statement form a dealer in the US that shocked me but obviuosly he wouldnt admit it directly.

AS for John Manship I cant remember if I sent my copy to him and the 2 copies he had might have been both originals or both boots because they are very similar. Very much like the Dwight franklins.

Anyhow Im just saying to anyone just have a :thumbsup: look before you buy thats all!

Good advice, re Fred Hymes, but it's clear on the Dwight Franklins, that the repress had something scratched out in the deadwax ( unlike the originals), i got 3 off Dwight Franklin that were originals, then i recall on here someone saying that he had then done a run of re-presses with the scratch out as i mentioned.

Point being that isn't a dispute there is a clear guide via deadwax, that there is a known difference.

ATB Brett

Its getting like groundhog day on this forum of late...laugh.gif

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

playing devils advocate, 1999 it was unknown, doesn't mean it didn't exist. Records do turn up even today that were not previously known about. Maybe there are two different presses of this, done at or around the same time but at different plants for financial reasons?

Social source share

there wouldnt just be one original copy tho. naturally there would be a first run. surely someone else on here would also have one

dave

Without dredging throught the archives ,,i recall people saying things like " the repress is thinner than original" and if you hold it to the light you can see light through the 2nd press ?

I bought one off some kind fella on here a few yrs back ,who went out of his way to give as much detail as possible to state it being 1st press original .

It was heavier but you could see daylight through it when held up to the light ..............through the big round hole in the middle :D

Great record that, thanks to all the hype, cost me about £100 and went for more when the demand rose again for it :thumbsup:

Now please stop going on about it and find something more creative to do with your time :(

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

got mine off ebay about three years ago,got outbid and was then given a second chance offer,seller must have had a few copies at that time,yep still in the collection

Mick

There was a (U.S.) seller on Ebay a number of years back that clearly had a big-ish batch of them as he was regularly selling them at around the £75 mark, i know as this record was on my watch list and the search was popping up quite regularly...seems to be quite a few copies in circulation, or sat in collections now at least...

Ste.

Social source share

Source Advert