• Replies 33
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hey,

am sure you can help me. Searching for a tune i heard in a mix but can´t remember the Artist or the Title. Only know that it came out on BOOTs records, and that it was bootlegged. There was a thread about this some longer time ago.

Help appriciated hatsoff2.gif

Sven

Well there's a bootleg label called BOOT - releaesed 3 or 4 singles including Suspicion, MVP's, Joe Tex etc

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Hey,

am sure you can help me. Searching for a tune i heard in a mix but can´t remember the Artist or the Title. Only know that it came out on BOOTs records, and that it was bootlegged. There was a thread about this some longer time ago.

Help appriciated hatsoff2.gif

Sven

If your talking about the "Boot" bootleg label.......do think there was Alfie Davidson,Drapers,Eddie Whitehead and Sammy Davis

Social source share

Never heard of that record in my life - was it really booted back in 75/76 along with George Blackwell, Salvadors, Mel Britt etc?

Played in about 76, I did not know it had been booted till just now!

Kinda explains why it never took off.:hatsoff2:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Never heard of that record in my life - was it really booted back in 75/76 along with George Blackwell, Salvadors, Mel Britt etc?

Don"t think it was booted with those classics Pete but I believe the Dave Newman "Make Up Your Mind"boot also has PB in the run out and have been told these and some other tunes were booted at the same time before they had the chance to really become big sounds

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

This is mine will have to check the dead wax....

post-1832-0-70309400-1302812498_thumb.jp

Social source share

Soussan did it Pete about the same time I believe. Eddie Daniels is in refosoul, great record but I do wonder why it was booted, wouldn't have though it a typical 1975ish northern soul record?

Social source share

Don"t think it was booted with those classics Pete but I believe the Dave Newman "Make Up Your Mind"boot also has PB in the run out and have been told these and some other tunes were booted at the same time before they had the chance to really become big sounds

Cheers Paul

Dave Newman was a massive record when it got booted (or at least it was at the Mecca)

Social source share

Dave Newman was a New York bootleg same pressing plant and counterfeiter as Anderson Bros, Epitome Of Sound etc, nothing to do the the P.B. batch.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest martyn

Thought it was a new one to me as well until I played the refosoul clip . Think it may have been one of Gingers spins ???

Social source share

Dave Newman was a New York bootleg same pressing plant and counterfeiter as Anderson Bros, Epitome Of Sound etc, nothing to do the the P.B. batch.

Sorry to post inncorrect info.... my memory is crap ........I wasn't around at the time of these "PB"boots but had been told of some done on tunes that hadn;t had chance to go big yet.

Maybe you know the other ones John ?

Once again sorry to all for posting wrong info

Cheers Paul

Social source share

This record must have gone way under most peoples radar, its not in JM's price guide 4th edition (although its in the 5th) or in his early bootleg guide and theres no mention in Tim Browns latest guide.

Not many saying they can remember it from the 70s either, strange one - great record though!

Social source share

Thought it was a new one to me as well until I played the refosoul clip . Think it may have been one of Gingers spins ???

Eddie Daniels was a Dave Raistrick discovery bitd.Booted? If it was we're back to the "making a few dollars locally" syndrome as mentioned on a recent thread.(lee rogers - sock some love power).

Social source share

Eddie Daniels was a Dave Raistrick discovery bitd.Booted? If it was we're back to the "making a few dollars locally" syndrome as mentioned on a recent thread.(lee rogers - sock some love power).

Nope, it wasn't Dave, it was Soussan. This was originally on Soussan's list at the time and only a couple of copies made it over here as far as I know. I don't think those were boots either. It's an incredibly obscure record and I've certainly never seen any more than one original in my entire life. It could because it was around at that particular juncture that everyone assumes it was booted. If it had been booted there'd be loads of 'em over the years wouldn't there?

Ian D :huh:

Social source share

Ian,

Eddie Daniels - was bootlegged in the same P.B. batch along with the Salvadors, Johnny Vanelli, George Blackwell, Mel Britt etc. etc. This load was originally offered to Bob Cateneo by Simon Sousann, Bob spotted they were bootlegs immediately, as he was a master-counterfeiter himself.

we sold an original copy to "Butch" about 2 years ago - ironically I also authenticated a "Counterfeit" copy, for a name DJ last month. The bootlegs are RARE, the originals are stupidly rare. They are very easy to tell apart.

As for it being a Dave Raistrick discovery I think this was bootlegged before Dave went to the USA, it's an L.A. record and I beleive Sousann bootlegged it before it got played in the UK. He did this on several occasions previously and wasn't an unusual thing to do. He just considered anything good in the 70s would go big - with this title he got it wrong. Dave may have had a copy, because he did find some wonderful Los Angeles rarities over the years.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

..yep..i heard this prob at wigan or mecca way before dave went to the US..however dave did find a copy (which i think he still has) in an obscure mom and pop store in Calif.I looked it over some years ago, but couldn't afford it at the time ..apparently the bootlegs (orangey?) are diff to originals..another great sound that never really made it due to being booted too early...

Social source share

Ian,

Eddie Daniels - was bootlegged in the same P.B. batch along with the Salvadors, Johnny Vanelli, George Blackwell, Mel Britt etc. etc. This load was originally offered to Bob Cateneo by Simon Sousann, Bob spotted they were bootlegs immediately, as he was a master-counterfeiter himself.

we sold an original copy to "Butch" about 2 years ago - ironically I also authenticated a "Counterfeit" copy, for a name DJ last month. The bootlegs are RARE, the originals are stupidly rare. They are very easy to tell apart.

As for it being a Dave Raistrick discovery I think this was bootlegged before Dave went to the USA, it's an L.A. record and I beleive Sousann bootlegged it before it got played in the UK. He did this on several occasions previously and wasn't an unusual thing to do. He just considered anything good in the 70s would go big - with this title he got it wrong. Dave may have had a copy, because he did find some wonderful Los Angeles rarities over the years.

John

Mmmm. Interesting. I saw the George Blackwell and Johnny Vanelli boots and they were incredibly good at the time I seem to remember. I didn't realise that the Eddie Daniels were boots as well. I wonder how many of each he did 'cos that Eddie Daniels must be shit rare on a boot 'cos I never see that anywhere?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mmmm. Interesting. I saw the George Blackwell and Johnny Vanelli boots and they were incredibly good at the time I seem to remember. I didn't realise that the Eddie Daniels were boots as well. I wonder how many of each he did 'cos that Eddie Daniels must be shit rare on a boot 'cos I never see that anywhere?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Soussan it was then Ian,must have been a DR spin.Anyone shed light on the copy that went thru ebay last year? (apparently?).

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Soussan it was then Ian,must have been a DR spin.Anyone shed light on the copy that went thru ebay last year? (apparently?).

Great to to read all thhis storys about that record. The More i read the more i would like to have one. :thumbsup:

Do you remember how much it went for? Boot or original?

Thank you all.

Sven

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert