• Replies 73
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dundeedavie

I see you played this on that night,,,,,,,,,,Don Gardner - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo - Tru-Glo-Town

I only heard it for the first time last year

the emporers do a nice version on Mala ...

Davie

Social source share

Albrighton, in it's day, was in my opinion, the top Soul night / allnighter in the country for hearing new sounds. There were loads of things that were played there that went on to become massive all over the country. The allnighter playlist is what was played at the niter, but the Soul nights were even better sometimes.

I just had to dance when i heard it...took me a few months to track a mint one down...£50 if I remember but I've seen it on manship for £100 now

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I just had to dance when i heard it...took me a few months to track a mint one down...£50 if I remember but I've seen it on manship for £100 now

really wink.gif bloody hell ..... i gave one away as well ohmy.gif ...

bought 2 due to an ebay mix up a couple of years ago

bought the emporers one after hearing lee miller playing it at the glasgow weekender

Davie

Social source share

Davie, I have seen ones with a coloured rainbow type thing at the top and some which the rainbow is black and green ( same green as label) are both right ?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie, I have seen ones with a coloured rainbow type thing at the top and some which the rainbow is black and green ( same green as label) are both right ?

gotta be honest karen and say i don't know .... i know the demo is white with black/white design ..

Davie

where are the anoraks when you need them wink.gif

Social source share

gotta be honest karen and say i don't know .... i know the demo is white with black/white design ..

Davie

where are the anoraks when you need them ohmy.gif

Come on you guys, I bet one of you know wink.gif

Social source share

Never been booted I understand...I've got the plain one......
I'm here...

Yes both are OK

Cheers guys, mine is the plain one and was never sure if it was OK or not.

Social source share

Hi Joe, do you know why?

LOL Martin, I was wondering that, is it different pressing plants ? I have to say I wish mine had the coloured rainbow bit, just a girl thing I suppose but it looks nicer IMO

Social source share

LOL Martin, I was wondering that, is it different pressing plants ? I have to say I wish mine had the coloured rainbow bit, just a girl thing I suppose but it looks nicer IMO

One might have been a local and one national or west coast and east coast.........ect wink.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

'plain' as in 'ugly' green and black?

This was a ten quid record on the Mod secen then as soon as a Northern DJ got hold of it, it jumped up to £50 overnight.

Bloody hundreds of them about.... must have sold a fair few on release

get them on ebay cheap as well .... i think the peak (ebay wise) was about 2 years ago

Davie

Social source share

Two different issues... probably had a 'hot' record on another label and the company tried to cash in by re-releasing it.

Don't think it's the National versus Local issue in this case.

Thats blew my theory out the window wink.gif

Social source share

i had a choice, but the plain one was mint and the rainbow wasn't...so easy......

Social source share

Karen, can you confirm the number on yours...

Is it 501 or something like 101/1001... can never remember which is which

its 1002 Joe, the b side is 1001

Edited by KarenC
Social source share

Confirms what I was thinking... definately two seperate issues...

Black and green label doesn't fit in with the label # sequence (500's) so I reckon it is a second issue (60s)

LOL oh no does that mean its a ............................. re issue ?

Social source share

Tru-Glo-Town 1002 - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo / I Wanta Know Where Did Our Love Go - 1966 (White Label)

Tru-Glo-Town 501 - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo / I Wanta Know Where Did Our Love Go - 1967 (Green Label)

But looking at this it doesn't explain the rainbow ones. White label, wouldnt that be a demo ? and the 1002 is 66 but the 501 is 67 or have I read it wrong ?

Social source share

Tru-Glo-Town 1002 - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo / I Wanta Know Where Did Our Love Go - 1966 (White Label)

Tru-Glo-Town 501 - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo / I Wanta Know Where Did Our Love Go - 1967 (Green Label)

But looking at this it doesn't explain the rainbow ones. White label, wouldnt that be a demo ? and the 1002 is 66 but the 501 is 67 or have I read it wrong ?

True.....you would hardly describe the rainbow one as white.......what's so bad anyway Karen...at worst we've got an original 2nd issue wink.gif

Social source share

True.....you would hardly describe the rainbow one as white.......what's so bad anyway Karen...at worst we've got an original 2nd issue wink.gif

Oh not bad at all Martin, but looking at that it would seem the 1002 came out in 1966 and the 501 in 1967 so maybe we have the first ?

Social source share

Perhaps some were released as 5## series and some 1### series? On the labels there is a 5## number under the artist and a 1### in the middle left under tru glo town production. The white labels are demos, with the raibow / TGT tunning folk logo. However some like Joe Moore came out on a white demo with just big block captitals logo. Either way MBLTB sold many, many copies and the Royal Robins bugger all so that's another label not to start collecting!

Social source share

Another theory could be:

1st issue of the record comes back from the pressing plant (Black and Green label) and the label owner thinks that no one will buy it because it is butt ugly.

Has the label redesigned in wonderful technicolor and repressed in quantity.

Then sticks with the second label for the rest of the releases.

but...

If you were a label owner would you follow the 1000 series with a 500 series, or would you go for a higher number?

Social source share

Another great Don Gardner 45 released on Tru Glo Town 505 is I aint gonna let you down which is superb , and far superior to My Baby likes to boogaloo and cheap to pick up. I think I posted it up in the sounds section some time ago but dont think it would be worth playing out as it would clear most dancefloors.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/uploads...3_90_346654.mp3

Social source share

The Soulfulkindamusic discography seems to confuse people.

All label variations are originals, pressed the same year, at the same pressing plant. All have 501 as its catalogue number (as far as I'm aware). The numbers 1001 and 1002 are the matrix numbers for each of the songs. Check out the scans below. I'd guess that the white ones are demos and the multicoloured ones are issues.

Please send in scans if you have a label that doesn't state 501 as its catalogue number.

post-1392-1129277697_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1129277709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest the dukester

GOT 2 FROM PITTSBURGH LAST YEAR, SOLD ONE FOR £20 AND GAVE THE OTHER AWAY.

NOT A TUNE FOR ME :angry:

Social source share

The Soulfulkindamusic discography seems to confuse people.

All label variations are originals, pressed the same year, at the same pressing plant. All have 501 as its catalogue number (as far as I'm aware). The numbers 1001 and 1002 are the matrix numbers for each of the songs. Check out the scans below. I'd guess that the white ones are demos and the multicoloured ones are issues.

Please send in scans if you have a label that doesn't state 501 as its catalogue number.

Just looked at mine again and yes 501 is under the title, looks the same as your white scan except its green if you know what I mean

Social source share

£20 seems about right. And i am with ya, not a tune for me either.

not a tune for me neither really, though if pressed I prefer the Emperors because it's just so doggone groovy and hammondlicious.....not very 'norvern soul' though at all IMO but a great tune at a more wide ranging sort of night....

Social source share

not a tune for me neither really, though if pressed I prefer the Emperors because it's just so doggone groovy and hammondlicious.....not very 'norvern soul' though at all IMO but a great tune at a more wide ranging sort of night....

I only heard the Emperors take at Luton a few weeks ago....I like both

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert