Harringtons And Sexy Rexy Of Sheffield

Harringtons was in castle market and Sexy Rexy was on the corner of pinstone street. Harringtons for me as teen in the 70s was were I got kitted out. This were I got my first Harrington jacket, sta-prest trousers,Y cardigans ,crombies,two-toned suits, polo shirts and levis jeans. The sales men were pushy and the changing rooms was up some wooden steps which lead above the shop which you shared with other customers.

Edited by 3 before 8
Social source share

Remember them both very well did not buy much from Harringtons but bought loads of Shermans and Brutus shirts from Paul Rex aka Sexy Rexy also bought amongst other things from there a leather trench coat .What was the name of the shop that sold work wear and camping gear next to the pub The Brewer On The Bridge , bought my first pair of Doc Martens and a Harrington jacket from there with one of my first wages as a fifteen year old . There was also a Paul Rex in my home town of Rotherham also in Rotherham was a shop called Kendrick Fieldsend which sold an amazing selection of Ben Shermans shirts which came in presentation boxes at that time . Also bought a two tone suit from Kendrick Fieldsend which i still remember with great fondness ,great clothes and great times , then you look at most of the youth today arses hanging out of there jeans with underpants showing hands down there pants feeling theire privates.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

Guest saddler

Remember them both very well did not buy much from Harringtons but bought loads of Shermans and Brutus shirts from Paul Rex aka Sexy Rexy also bought amongst other things from there a leather trench coat .What was the name of the shop that sold work wear and camping gear next to the pub The Brewer On The Bridge , bought my first pair of Doc Martens and a Harrington jacket from there with one of my first wages as a fifteen year old . There was also a Paul Rex in my home town of Rotherham also in Rotherham was a shop called Kendrick Fieldsend which sold an amazing selection of Ben Shermans shirts which came in presentation boxes at that time . Also bought a two tone suit from Kendrick Fieldsend which i still remember with great fondness ,great clothes and great times , then you look at most of the youth today arses hanging out of there jeans with underpants showing hands down there pants feeling theire privates.

Have to agree about todays youth got no style. I remember buying my first crombie on the knock for a pound a week from Burtons in 71 took me 21 weeks to finally own it but i was only earning 5 quid a week :)

Social source share

The shop for the Martins was Mortimers.

Social source share

Social source share

The shop for the Martins was Mortimers. I also remember a shop on The Moor for Sta-press and two tone suits, I think it was Neville Reeds

Social source share

Remember them both very well did not buy much from Harringtons but bought loads of Shermans and Brutus shirts from Paul Rex aka Sexy Rexy also bought amongst other things from there a leather trench coat .

Indeed .... same hear a general rule of thunb was to call in sat mornings after our fix of sammies :thumbsup:

Social source share

Remember well Sexy Rexy's aka Paul Rex in Rotherham. Spent many a Saturday afternoon in there putting together my huge collection of Ben Shermans and Levi Sta-Prest! Was only telling my kids about it last week. Kendrick Fieldsends too - full of great clobber! Kids today, they've never lived!

:0)

Sean

Social source share

rememer them well as a rotherham lad ! got my first parka from paul rex and my first leather bomber, kendrick's too ..slazenger jumpers, ben shemans sta prest etc great shops for all the top gear ... fav has to be keith Malinsons though .. remember the chalk boards outside with all the designs on with how much for each channel seam , different pocket designes etc . and only closed about 18 months ago .... great days ... you are spot on Sean , they have not lived , so glad i was born when i was !

pete

Social source share

In 1973 all our crowd who went to the nighters from Sheffield wore suede bomber jackets - not the posh brand new type ,

no..these were second hand American truck drivers ones. Absolutely brilliant they were - from MORTIMERS a fiver a piece.

Trouble was, I was soaking some BENZEDREX nose inhaler wicks in a little jar full of wine, in my wardrobe.(These stunk like f**k).

My jacket was in there too and afterwards it had a most peculiar odour to it - my mum thought so too and slung it!!

Got my Crombie from COLVINS on Waingate, Sheffield, 100 yards towards town from MORTIMERS.

My SKINNERS came from RAY ALAN's (before he met Lord Charles) on the Moor in 1972/3.

Happy Days Indeed

Social source share

We also had a kendrick fieldsend in Chesterfield on the high street and I think that there was a shop just called fieldsends across from the market hall in Chesterfield ????

Not only did they sell clothes but also if I remember correctly it was a jewlers/ pawn shop ?????

Used to go to Sheffield as a young kid circa 1971/2 now the memory is playing up!

What was the clothes shop across from the castle market called?

I thought that sexy rexy was on the moor??

Was there a shop called tramps????!

Help

Spike

Social source share

We also had a kendrick fieldsend in Chesterfield on the high street and I think that there was a shop just called fieldsends across from the market hall in Chesterfield ????

Not only did they sell clothes but also if I remember correctly it was a jewlers/ pawn shop ?????

Used to go to Sheffield as a young kid circa 1971/2 now the memory is playing up!

What was the clothes shop across from the castle market called?

I thought that sexy rexy was on the moor??

Was there a shop called tramps????!

Help

Spike

Tramps was up from the Castle Market near Fitzalan Square.

Colvins was across the road from Castle market towards the Wicker.

On the Wicker was a shop ingeniously entitled "Wicker Discount" - This was the best place for Prince of Wales checked trou,

Slazenger jumpers, Brutus shirts etc.There used to be a lad I new who would take orders (what size, colour etc) then go and nick em from there and sell them to you.There was Jacksons tailors for the best lairey suits.

Going back even further, there was MAN BOUTIQUE on Orchard Street for the best mod gear.

Social source share

Circa 73-4 I seem to remember Sheffield lads spray painting your doc marts either silver or gold??

Was it a football thing????

Spike

Can't remember the sprayed Martens , but this was the time when fashion went tits up , i went from wearing classic clothes such as a Crombie ,loafers ect. to shite like Oxford bags, wide checked jackets , penny round shirts and stacked heeled shoes ,what twats we all looked.

Social source share

Think there's a secondhand shop & a tailors down chapel walk now chalky

there was a shop called stone-dri on Chesterfield high street got a beige gabberdene full length mac from there in 1976 went to my first nighter at sammys in it

What a twat I looked!! Cos my two mates also had the same coat looked like the three stooges!!!

Happy days;)

Social source share

Think there's a secondhand shop & a tailors down chapel walk now chalky

there was a shop called stone-dri on Chesterfield high street got a beige gabberdene full length mac from there in 1976 went to my first nighter at sammys in it

What a twat I looked!! Cos my two mates also had the same coat looked like the three stooges!!!

Happy days;)

The record shop closed years ago, the clothes shop was few shops down if I remember rightly.

Back to Chesterfield, I can remember Mr Six Togs, up the side road at end of post office. Also the one on the corner of where Fascinstion was and the alley that went up to the Spire, used to go down steel spiral staircase. Can't remember what it sold though.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

There was a shop for clobber down I think Chapel Walk but can't remember the name. There was a record shop down there too, I've load of records up stairs from there, some of me dads too, all the old style brown card with coloured edging.

The record shop was Vallances, I worked for the company at the time...

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Remember well Sexy Rexy's aka Paul Rex in Rotherham. Spent many a Saturday afternoon in there putting together my huge collection of Ben Shermans and Levi Sta-Prest! Was only telling my kids about it last week. Kendrick Fieldsends too - full of great clobber! Kids today, they've never lived!

:0)

Sean

Often went in the Rotherham shop, if Sound Of Music or Boylans hadn't taken all my money... :)

Social source share

The record shop closed years ago, the clothes shop was few shops down if I remember rightly.

Back to Chesterfield, I can remember Mr Six

Togs, up the side road at end of post office. Also the one on the corner of where Fascinstion was and the alley that went up to the Spire, used to go down steel spiral staircase. Can't remember what it sold though.

Mr six togs sorsbry street don't know who owned it but it was "managed " by a guy called johnny Moore from grangewood he's about 5 years older than me old skinhead mod soul boy

Proper character one of arthur dudlys mates

That shop with the spiral staircase did it sell more today than yesterday??

;)

Social source share

Trying to remember the clothes i bought from all the shops mentioned which would have included my first Crombie , Dr Martens boots , loads of Shermans and Brutus shirts , Levi Sta Prest , Fred Perrys and Slazenger jumpers. Also the accessories the ready folded jacket pocket hanky wore with a tie tack the red and lime green socks the black brolly , never owned a bluebeat though with my ears i would have looked like Freddie Parrot Faced Davis.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

I'm sure they had a Sexy Rexy in Liverpool, my Wigan days were over, the fred perry was binned, football terrace fashion kicked in, remember getting a 'small collar' shirt from there, circa 80ish, went well with my Fioriucci jeans, pod shoes & fishermans v-neck jumper, top collar buttoned up & wedge to complete, oh and scally walk, just to finish the look, that meant staring at the pavement & flicking my wedge as often as I could, those were the days my friend.

Social source share

Bringing back a few memories here.

Harringtons was owned by a guy called Brian I think & the last time I was in the Castle market it was still there & so was he but with a lot less hair now.

Tramps that was mentioned above was on King Street (behind what was C&A).

Remember Vallances on Chapel Walk but there was another record shop on there that was part of a musical instrument shop. Think it was called Cann's & seem to remember having some covers with Cann the music man on them.

Also remember a shop near the Castle Market called Pooles as my Dad got me my first Ben Sherman from there.

Anyone remember Revoloution Records on the market balconies?

Social source share

Harringtons was owned by a guy called Brian I think & the last time I was in the Castle market it was still there & so was he but with a lot less hair now.

Remember Vallances on Chapel Walk but there was another record shop on there that was part of a musical instrument shop. Think it was called Cann's & seem to remember having some covers with Cann the music man on them.

Also remember a shop near the Castle Market called Pooles as my Dad got me my first Ben Sherman from there.

Canns was on Chapel Walk selling instruments ,sheet music and records etc.

Social source share

Mr six togs sorsbry street don't know who owned it but it was "managed " by a guy called johnny Moore from grangewood he's about 5 years older than me old skinhead mod soul boy

Proper character one of arthur dudlys mates

That shop with the spiral staircase did it sell more today than yesterday??

;)

:D

Vaguely remember the name Johnny Moore, didn't know his though.

The other shop I was thinking of was at the end of Chapel Walk just below the Rutland pub and the nightclub which had several name. O'Neill's across the street, can't remember what it was called back then.

Social source share

Ah ah thought you were on about chapel walk in Sheffield!!!

That shop next to the Rutland was called something like jeanius???? In the seventies yes they sold jeans!!

Next door to

Lynne flower box ( Lynne is derrick Fantom's wife)

Usd to call in and have a chat with either of them when passing from work if about. They had another shop just up from what was old Wagon.

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Remember buying some baggies from Harrington's, also remember going in Tramps and Ray Alan's rings a bell.

Went to the E.I.T.B. (Engineering Industrial Training Board) 1976/77, pay day on thursday calling at the firm on Effingham Street for the wages then into town and straight on the balcony to Revolution record shop. A lad I knocked about with at that time (Martin Cocker) was into the Sheer Elegance stuff and Tavares so we had to call in at the CO-OP record stall for him. Great days, Barry, KGB, KTF.

Social source share

Spooky that Barry cos I was at the EITB in 1976 (about June I think).

£17 a week wages & like you say straight to Revoloution records via Kenny's records on the Wicker. Had some nice stuff out of there, Motown demo's & such like for pennies.

Doubley spooky, I was on a course funded by E,I,T,B, as well at this time. :ohmy:

Social source share

Usd to call in and have a chat with either of

them when passing from work if about. They had another shop just up from what was old Wagon.

Yes it was on the corner I think?

Derrick ran the record centre next door but one to linns flower box owned by Neil St John (noddy) from Rotherham I think

As Kids in 75/6 we used to "work" in the record shop (it was better than school!)

Fridays Saturday's and Sunday's were very interesting with all these strange guys with long leather coats sunglasses (even in the dark) chewing like mad, dancing, talking about sammys Cleethorps Wigan ect

No wonder I ended up a naughty soul boy !!

Social source share

Canns was on Chapel Walk selling instruments ,sheet music and records etc.

Just ben through some of me dads old records, most are from Cann's, others from Wilson Peck on Fargate and London Road and some others from MJ Thomas on Middlewood Road. When I got them there wasn't much soul in them as dad was Teddy Boy then Country and Western but loads of Beatles (with pictures out of press stuck on sleeves) and other pop of me mothers. I did get stuff like Please Mr Postman on UK Fontana which I sold to Saus.

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

£17 a week wages & like you say straight to Revoloution records via Kenny's records on the Wicker. Had some nice stuff out of there, Motown demo's & such like for pennies.

Ey up Martin, haven't looked at this thread for a while. Yes, the E.I.T.B., I was there from Aug 31st '76 to the end of July '77. Must have brushed shoulders at some time. Perhaps didn't get on, you being a Blade and myself an Owl. :lol: I was just getting in to northern at this time and I remember a lad called Tony, tall lad with dark hair, 'tache, handsome lad, he was in to northern but can't remember his surname. Didn't do Kenny's until years later, Barry, KGB, KTF. :thumbsup:

Hope you are keeping well. :yes:

Edited by Barry Holland
Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Just ben through some of me dads old records, most are from Cann's, others from Wilson Peck on Fargate and London Road and some others from MJ Thomas on Middlewood Road. When I got them there wasn't much soul in them as dad was Teddy Boy then Country and Western but loads of Beatles (with pictures out of press stuck on sleeves) and other pop of me mothers. I did get stuff like Please Mr Postman on UK Fontana which I sold to Saus.

Treble spooky, I live on Middlewood Road and have done for 24 years, Barry, KGB, KTF. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Memory is going Martin, Kennys didnt open until 1979/80. Prior to that the shop that you would have visited on the Wicker in '76 was Windmill Records, run by Mike Kersey.

Kenny used to work for Mike for a while and they did the Fairs together. In 79 when Mike moved up round Division Street and renamed the shop Hitsville, Kenny went with him. But some months after he left he set up 2-3 doors down from the old shop opening 'Kennys'.

A few that spring to mind, I got from Mike at the original shop, circa '75:

PP Arnold, Everything Is Gonna Be Alright - UK Immediate Issue

Incredibles - Theres Nothing Else To Say Baby - UK Stateside Demo

O'Jays - I Dig Your Act - UK Stateside Demo

Isley Bros - Why When Love Is Gone - UK TMG Demo

Dee Dee Sharp - Standing In The Need Of Love - UK Cameo Parkway Demo

Jon Ford - You Got Me Where You Want Me - UK Philips Issue

The last two were 10p each :0)

Happy days.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Yes it was on the corner I think?

Derrick ran the record centre next door but one to linns flower box owned by Neil St John (noddy) from Rotherham I think

As Kids in 75/6 we used to "work" in the record shop (it was better than school!)

Linn was Linn Taylor. I knew her and her brother Alan very well, as a lad.

Sean

Social source share

Along with Boylans and Sound of Music, Revolution did a good line in new releases (picked up The Fantastic Puzzles in there for 80p etc.) and had good stocks of all the Soussan pressings of the day, during the Sammys years. Was always a 'must visit' location on a Saturday afternoon.

Sean

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Talking of the Revolution Record shop, I've just been looking in a book about the night club and music scene in Sheffield in the '70's, and there's a picture of a young Paul Weller taken outside the Revolution shop in about '77. Barry. KGB, KTF.

Social source share

Circa 73-4 I seem to remember Sheffield lads spray painting your doc marts either silver or gold??

Spike

I remember the Martens spraying, long time ago now but think it was Silver for Wednesday and Gold for United

About the same time as the trend for wearing a football scarf around you wrist.

Martin

Social source share

Spike

I remember the Martens spraying, long time ago now but think it was Silver for Wednesday and Gold for United

About the same time as the trend for wearing a football scarf around you wrist.

Talking of the Revolution Record shop, I've just been looking in a book about the night club and music scene in Sheffield in the '70's, and there's a picture of a young Paul Weller taken outside the Revolution shop in about '77. Barry. KGB, KTF.

Martin

Seen that book Barry, Wellers standing next to the Scottish guy that ran Revolution, cant remember his name now but remember all of the hand written lists on the wall and spending hours going through them.

He had lots of US imports, didnt know at the time but a lot of them were boots.

I bought Bobby Paris Night Owl for 2 quid thinking it was an original Cameo demo copy, only to find out years later that it was a boot.

Only earned 13 quid a week at Dunford Hadfields. :(

Martin

Social source share

Memory is going Martin, Kennys didnt open until 1979/80. Prior to that the shop that you would have visited on the Wicker in '76 was Windmill Records, run by Mike Kersey.

Kenny used to work for Mike for a while and they did the Fairs together. In 79 when Mike moved up round Division Street and renamed the shop Hitsville, Kenny went with him. But some months after he left he set up 2-3 doors down from the old shop opening 'Kennys'.

A few that spring to mind, I got from Mike at the original shop, circa '75:

PP Arnold, Everything Is Gonna Be Alright - UK Immediate Issue

Incredibles - Theres Nothing Else To Say Baby - UK Stateside Demo

O'Jays - I Dig Your Act - UK Stateside Demo

Isley Bros - Why When Love Is Gone - UK TMG Demo

Dee Dee Sharp - Standing In The Need Of Love - UK Cameo Parkway Demo

Jon Ford - You Got Me Where You Want Me - UK Philips Issue

The last two were 10p each :0)

Happy days.

Sean

Now you mention it I can remember Windmill records but thought it was Kenny's shop (I am a bit younger than you Sean LOL).

Had some nice UK Motown & Stateside demo's out of there myself & also a handful of Andre Brassier (spelling?) demo's of the Kid for 10p each. Happy days indeed :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!