Absoloutely Useless Records Which Soul Snobs Like

Pete S

Perhaps you can remember better than me, but I would have associated PP more with Cleggy than Wigan whistling.gif

Yes its commercial, but it was popular to dance to. Thats what used to happen at NS events before the right wingers decided it was better to stand around nodding politely to "smooth" mid-tempo records :)

Bloody good thread....where's Col? :D

Like it was yeasterday :shhh:

I was mearly refering to said and poopy era....As i for one glad there is a sertain 'snobbery' about gets the quality IMO better.................and you should know for well i would be up dancing to 'smooth' mid tempo records :D

Social source share

• Replies 163
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest woolie mark

Thats not so much a shite record.... more done to death!!

yeah, spose so.....i hate it now though

btw, talking of shit records, what was this place like?

post-1980-1131480592_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I believe it had quite a following at one time. :shhh:

Is that your membership card? whistling.gif

no mate, they didn't play enough cheesy disco for my tastes :)

Social source share

hi garv

Hi Mark whistling.gif , well this is a good topic....................... i really love pea`s.................marrow fat or garden.

That should get Pete & Baz going :shhh::)

Social source share

Hi Mark whistling.gif , well this is a good topic....................... i really love pea`s.................marrow fat or garden.

That should get Pete & Baz going :shhh::D

:)

Social source share

That should get Pete & Baz going :):D

Mmm peas :shhh:

Oh yeah, don't reckon much to the Oxford Knights either :D

Social source share

good thread this :shhh:

would be even better if we stopped saying hello to each other like nutters on buses and discussing the importance of peas whistling.gif:D:D

lets keep it flowing please :)

cheers

Shane

:D

Social source share

Mmm peas whistling.gif

Oh yeah, don't reckon much to the Oxford Knights either :)

Rachel

I forgot to add mushy.......mmmmmmmmmmmm, i really hate True Image as has been mentioned " bog brush" :D:D had me crying :shhh: but Bobby Kline is (imo) a fine record but suffers from being overplayed, Oxford Knights................so so

Social source share

good thread this :D

would be even better if we stopped saying hello to each other like nutters on buses and discussing the importance of peas whistling.gif:):D

lets keep it flowing please :D

cheers

Shane

:D

Hi Shane :D

Its called politeness :shhh:

I think Mello Souls is a great record btw :D

Social source share

primers - how does it grab you....erm it dont wanker.gif .........vanguards - good times bad times..played out...boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing whistling.gif

and pete i never met you but you are an arse if that helps

cookie :shhh:

Actually you have met me Cookie and I've sold you a record or two, it was at the Dome Xmas 2001... :)

Social source share

Really? Or do you think it's just quite good? Brilliant? Baz come on. whistling.gif Repetitive and dull I thought.

As i said brilliant IMO, must be like marmite an accuired taste :) BTW i hate marmite :shhh:

Social source share

I was listening to an old Wigan tape the other day & found meself singing & taping me feet to Bobby Goldsbrough " too many people"................. now most of the "pop" stuff left me cold but i allways liked this & still do whistling.gif .

From the man on the top deck with the can of pea`s in his hand :shhh:

Social source share

TOO MANY PEOPLE READING THIS TOPIC AND NOT INSULTING ME!

You must've been for a balti last night , got pissed , got some naan bread stuff in your lug and listened to George Hobson. Take out the naan bread and LISTEN !

It's not about being a snob. This sounded brilliant the first time it was played at Wigan and still sounds class today. NAAN BREAD EARS !

Social source share

You must've been for a balti last night , got pissed , got some naan bread stuff in your lug and listened to George Hobson. Take out the naan bread and LISTEN !

It's not about being a snob. This sounded brilliant the first time it was played at Wigan and still sounds class today. NAAN BREAD EARS !

I wasn't going when that was first played, thank God, though I wouldn't have gone the next week if I had heard it. Go on then, tell me whats so brilliant about it. I'll send you some cotton buds tomorrow ok.

:D:D

George Hobson is class ..... pure class

Bottom of the class more like. Even his name is rubbish.

Social source share

Don't you DARE complain about the Ascots! Come on, Another Day is just the absolute cream of the crop. Fantastic build up and calm down through out the entire record. Great simplistic harmonies and a massive turn on :D

Social source share

I wasn't going when that was first played, thank God, though I wouldn't have gone the next week if I had heard it. Go on then, tell me whats so brilliant about it. I'll send you some cotton buds tomorrow ok.

Bottom of the class more like. Even his name is rubbish.

You must've turned right on the M6 and ended up in Moss Side's Reno Club , got hooked on reggae (10 years too late coz we used to listen to that Sca stuff when we were little skin heads) and missed all the good , proper black music Pete.

You don't need me to tell what's good about it - you either got it or you haven't mate

Don't you DARE complain about the Ascots! Come on, Another Day is just the absolute cream of the crop. Fantastic build up and calm down through out the entire record. Great simplistic harmonies and a massive turn on :D

You'll do for me Soulgirl - TOP DRAW man !

Another Wigan sound Pete - did you miss this one as well . (or do your ears just close to real music) !

Social source share

What's the defintion of a " soul snob " Pete ?

Pete-S dictionary says a soul snob is anyone who expects a soul record to sound remotely soulful, allegedly.

Oops forgot to add George Lemons for a record that I hate but seems to be popular with some people with otherwise good taste.

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Decent enough record but I thought it was A Few Feet From The Gutter we were talking about earlier? :D

And that's elevator music! :D

Social source share

Just a thought..................If it wasn't for some of the likes of some of the mentiond records, and 'soul snobbery' as to put it........the rare soul scene would have just been a passing 'phase' :D

Social source share

Pete-S dictionary says a soul snob is anyone who expects a soul record to sound remotely soulful, allegedly.

Pete wouldn't know coz he's got no handle on what is and what is'nt.

Does he ever get out ? (Another John Powney)

Social source share

Decent enough record but I thought it was A Few Feet From The Gutter we were talking about earlier? :D

And that's elevator music! :D

Yes, but before earlier, they were talking about the Ascots... keep up sir :D

Social source share

Just a thought..................If it wasn't for some of the likes of some of the mentiond records, and 'soul snobbery' as to put it........the rare soul scene would have just been a passing 'phase' :D

How so?

You could make that argument for any record that has ever been played on the scene, then. :D

And don't get me started about the snobbery alienating people... especially newcomers! :D

Social source share

A brilliant - brilliant Pat Brady spin this one.

Anorak soul question- What does Mir-a-don translate to (Chalky ?)

Social source share

Dave, you could put me in an elevator and I would have probably pissed off the serious soul fans in there but I would have a few new joiners from the rest of the carriage :D

Social source share

How so?

You could make that argument for any record that has ever been played on the scene, then. :D

And don't get me started about the snobbery alienating people... especially newcomers! :D

Sure she didn't mean it Dave !

Social source share

Just about managing to, thank you :D

Yes... A Few Feet From The Gutter by The Ascots.... the record mentioned on p.1

Edited by Dave
Social source share

How so?

Some would say the snobbery has kept the scene decent, and its when the snobbery is overwritten that you get a scene not worth having, I take it you would prefer a scene full of passers by that wont hang around?

As Dan said on another thread (sortof, excuse me for paraphrasing you Dan) we dont think we are better than non soul fans, we know.

Jock

Social source share

Dave, you could put me in an elevator and I would have probably pissed off the serious soul fans in there but I would have a few new joiners from the rest of the carriage :D

If that were the case, I would put up with, applaud even, the playing of it :D

Social source share

How so?

Suppose you could! what i was getting at was say if the quality of records being spun was in the same vein as Paula Parot-shit and no diversity, then my god i would walk away and never come back! :D

Not sure what you mean about 'snobbery alienating people' :D

Social source share