• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Richard Bergman

I'll start: no surprise here.

George Hobson - Let it be real.

Anyone who can possibly prefer this to Paula Parfitt must have something wrong with them. whistling.gif

I'm almost positive that this thread will open up a dozen can of worms,

What's the defintion of a " soul snob " Pete ?

Social source share

Both George Hobson and Bobby Kline are pretty good records. Maybe we're all a bit sick of hearing BK, but for the fiirst few years it sounded really monumental. George Hobson is a class record and I make no apologies for liking it: it's one which would have created a buzz for soul fans at any time in the scene's history: by any stretch of the imagination it's preferable to Paula Parfitt (which in itself is a fairly competent pop record, though nothing more than that).

Social source share

Can I defend The Ascots as well? Talmadge Armstrong is a good artist, with a credible and unified back catalogue of pretty individual-sounding soul music. "Just A Few Feet From The Gutter" is probably due a rest, but I recall being blown away when I first heard it.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

We all have different ears from early RnB,oldies,newies,Crossover etc etc tec..Bobby Cline is magic for me and many others,plus the Ascots is a class track...Real feel good track...I can't stand that Dance Dance Dance track,it makes me feel ill but others love it...This post will just go on and on and solve nowt..Live and let live...James T and Mr Smith on this thread,that should keep it interesting for a while..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Can I defend The Ascots as well? Talmadge Armstrong is a good artist, with a credible and unified back catalogue of pretty individual-sounding soul music. "Just A Few Feet From The Gutter" is probably due a rest, but I recall being blown away when I first heard it.

"few feet from the gutter" is every inch a class soul record

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Yes mate

Better than the deep disco from the Stockport taxi... :shhh:

I'll tell her that .....no more lifts for you , you will have to ask your twin brother at Streetcars to take you places whistling.gif

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

ascots tune mentioned above is marvellous. whistling.gif

mello souls doesn't do much for me. i wont say i dont like it but its all a bit 'crash, bang, wallop' for me and that vocal always reminds me of Al Jolson :shhh:

Shane

Social source share

TOP THREAD!!! :shhh:

Ascots - Few Feet From The Gutter. Belongs in the gutter, absolute shite.

How dare you whistling.gif Only heard this one in the last 6 months and it's one of my favourites tunes I've heard this year .... absolutely fantastic ..... so there :)

Social source share

How dare you whistling.gif Only heard this one in the last 6 months and it's one of my favourites tunes I've heard this year .... absolutely fantastic ..... so there :D

No, you're wrong, it's depressing shit. :):D Has all the makings of being an interesting thread this!! :shhh:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Bobby Kline - Say something nice to me.

Absolute rubbish with no redeeming features whatsoever.

Horrible, horrible record, no wonder they put most of the labels on the wrong sides, it was to stop this getting played

thank god for that ! i thought i was the only one who thought Bobby Kline was shite whistling.gif

Social source share

thank god for that ! i thought i was the only one who thought Bobby Kline was shite whistling.gif

I think Bobby Kline is a fantastic record to be honest. :shhh: Letting me'self down here, I can see it already!! :D

Each to his or her own.

What's yours then?

Bottle of Bud, please. :)

Social source share

George Hobson = classy, soulful, proper soul music

Paula Parot = weak! poppy! second rate dross, that should be melted down :shhh:

So if im a snob for liking George Hobson so be it, God forbid we go into another POP era whistling.gif like back in the cathedral!

Social source share

No it's not, it's dull uninspiring crap.

I only mentioned Paula Parfitt because it was the first name that came into my head when I was trying to think of a British record that was quite good.

But yeah, I'd take Paula Parfitt over that turd any day, and yes, you are a soul snob. Because you like George Hobson, a record so bad it should be ashamed to exist.

Social source share

mello souls doesn't do much for me. i wont say i dont like it but its all a bit 'crash, bang, wallop' for me and that vocal always reminds me of Al Jolson :shhh:

Shane

And it's just that crash, bang, wallop that I absolutely love about it, from the intro that sounds like someone rattling a stick off some railings to the practically indecipherable lyrics in places to the not quite in tune brass - bloody fantastic and makes me grin whether I'm dancing to it or deafening myself through my headphones :)

I think Pete's just trying to be mischievous whistling.gif

Social source share

Paula Parot = weak! poppy! second rate dross, that should be melted down :D

So if im a snob for liking George Hobson so be it, God forbid we go into another POP era :) like back in the cathedral!

Perhaps you can remember better than me, but I would have associated PP more with Cleggy than Wigan whistling.gif

Yes its commercial, but it was popular to dance to. Thats what used to happen at NS events before the right wingers decided it was better to stand around nodding politely to "smooth" mid-tempo records :shhh:

Bloody good thread....where's Col? :D

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

and pete i never met you but you are an arse if that helps

what have you got against arses cookie? whistling.gif

hi dave, you allright bruv?

oh yeah.....shit records.......JAN JONES

Social source share

Perhaps you can remember better than me, but I would have associated PP more with Cleggy than Wigan whistling.gif

Yes its commercial, but it was popular to dance to. Thats what used to happen at NS events before the right wingers decided it was better to stand around nodding politely to "smooth" mid-tempo records :shhh:

Bloody good thread....where's Col? :D

All the best threads that I start contributing to get pulled :)

Social source share