Crap Quality Pressings

Guest Little Anthony

Once heard a rumour that these were recorded straight off the decks.

Then another one as to who did them.

But don't think it would be true as they'd have killed 2 of Richard's biggest sounds stone dead.

Both pressings had their original B-sides ("Are You Kidding" by Vickie Baines and "The Light Of Day" by the Group) in as equally bad quality, so I guess that probably answers the rumour of them being recorded straight off the decks.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Both pressings had their original B-sides ("Are You Kidding" by Vickie Baines and "The Light Of Day" by the Group) in as equally bad quality, so I guess that probably answers the rumour of them being recorded straight off the decks.

Also may explain where they came from then as only a couple of people had the records at the time (Xmas 79 I think)

Social source share

Eric pressings of Toby Legend use to say " I'm just a PubBub" on the beach ...

Purple Super K pressings of Christine Cooper HAMB wore out after a couple of dozen spins, and sounded absolute shite

Ritchie - funny you should say that because I mentioned it somewhere else recently, saying I can never hear it without expecting it to jump at that part!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

May well have been awful, but at least the original was recorded in true stereo!

Seem em going for buttons these days, sure one went for about $9 last month, wouldn't have minded a copy back in '79 aka Bob Segar would've fetched a fair few bob back then, not very soulful, but massive.

Aid.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Yeah that was truly awful, done along with Barbara English - Sitting in the corner, equally bad quality. Other horrors are the orange label Exus Trek from the 80's (not the 70's orange one), Marsha Brody - Right Combination and Earl Harrison - Humphrey Stomp, neither of which have any bass on them at all.

Marsha Brody - Right Combination sounds like it was recorded inside a dust bin,it was that tinny.

Stu.

Social source share

The blue vinyl bootleg of Hang On by Wall of Sound - it seems to have been pressed in a rush - the run-out groove starts before the music has faded out.

The Marketts - Bela Delana/Balboa Blue on the Magic label - Terrible sound and pressed very off-centre.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest allnightandy

You were unlucky Andy!

Really ? i thought they might all be the same ! is there anyway of telling boot from original by just looking at pictures as when i bought it years ago i assumed it was original Lol
Social source share

What about the bootleg copies of Johnny (john) Hendley, "my baby came from out of nowhere" (on white mutt & jeff) with the

sunlovers "you'll never make the grade" on the 'b' side. it played at 50rpm and it sounded like SH*T.

tony warot.

I'll have to check mine, from what i can remember mine plays perfect?

Social source share

Worst i ever came across was the White label Bobby Paris Night Owl

Booted by Selecta Disc of Nottingham !

You have to turn the volume up full just to hear it and it sounds like it was recorded in a cornflake factory !

Jeanette Harper on "Green BEE " Massive hiss all the way through !

Lenny Curtis (boot) on END His all the way through

mine plays perfect ... no hiss and great sound quality

Social source share

The worse quality bootleg I ever heard in my life was Velvet-Satins Nothing Can Compare To You, I think it was made a blizzard.

Aid.

and this one of mine is fine .... you guys must have been unlucky with the copies you picked up

Social source share

and this one of mine is fine .... you guys must have been unlucky with the copies you picked up

Again, agree with this. Though the VS has been done four or five times. The first one, on the white label with the swirl, is perfect. I think the red one is ok too. Maybe the one sided blue one is the bad one.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest nickybackflip

here is one recorded in a bake bean tin - how to make a sad man glad - capris - just sounds awful through my krells!!!!!!!

Social source share

Some that I had that were pretty bad: all 70s pressings:

Phil Lowman - Rock Me - Palos

Pat Lewis - Warning c/w Debonairs Loving You..... Solid Hit

Carstairs - although at the time I didn't realise just how bad it was.

Jerry Fuller - Double Life

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Three examples I can think of...

I've never had a good copy of 'At Last' by Jesse James on Zay. I've had quite a few unplayed copies over the years and they're all distorted so there's no point buying any more.

I've had similar problems (but not as bad) with 'I'd Rather Be A Blind Man' by Fugi on Checker.

'Rain In My Life' by Prophecy on All Platinum is another 45 which I've never found a good copy of. The problem was obviously in the mix or mastering.

It's annoying.

ranting_1.gif

Paul

Paul that's very strange I bought the Prophecy track of Tim Ashebende on a really bad looking acetate it was dirty bent and looked like it was once a fiberglass patch for a ford anguler and you won't beleive the sound quality is fantastic regards Simon.

Social source share

Some that I had that were pretty bad: all 70s pressings:

Phil Lowman - Rock Me - Palos

Pat Lewis - Warning c/w Debonairs Loving You..... Solid Hit

Carstairs - although at the time I didn't realise just how bad it was.

Jerry Fuller - Double Life

Phil Lowman is shocking, my Jerry Fuller is fine but most copies I get now seem to hiss!

Social source share

Paul that's very strange I bought the Prophecy track of Tim Ashebende on a really bad looking acetate it was dirty bent and looked like it was once a fiberglass patch for a ford anguler and you won't beleive the sound quality is fantastic regards Simon.

My Prophesy has got no bass. A bit like the old Maurice Williams - Being without you purple boot.

Jordi

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!