Unlimited Four-Walk Away Lover-Chanson

Got it on Blue and Yellow Wayne, the yellow says "Dist by All Platinum" where as Blue dont, but both records are pressed off the same stamper vinyl's identical and both seem about the same price wise? classy little cheapie mate. One of there other Chanson 45's is well worth picking up "True Love Is Hard To Find" too! tho a bit harder than "Walk Away"

steve

Edited by Soul-Integrity
Social source share

Got it on Blue and Yellow Wayne, the yellow says "Dist by All Platinum" where as Blue dont, but both records are pressed off the same stamper vinyl's identical and both seem about the same price wise? classy little cheapie mate. One of there other Chanson 45's is well worth picking up "True Love Is Hard To Find" too! tho a bit harder than "Walk Away"

steve

they have 3 45s. the true love record is much harder than the other two.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All..I totaly agree with this being a great cheapies, I found my copy along with 25 other classics on Bilston Market 1981, 10p each & they all have a sticker on, with the name "Tiny Eastman" whoever he is he had some great records, as I have not sold any on? :g: DAVE
Social source share

I know Bob, Wayne's already got 2 of them :thumbsup: Out of interest are there any other releases by them elsewhere?

steve

I don't know anything about the group. Actually the chanson label is weird, as there are maybe multiple labels with that name in different parts of the country. That seems strange to me because it isn't a common name / reference (at least that I know of). I just googled "chanson" and it's some sort of french song or something...

This chanson label was new jersey / all platinum affiliated.

One thing vaguely amusing was that I was looking for "true love is hard to find" for years as I managed to collect the other two pretty easily. It was obnoxious because there was this huge ad in discoveries every month where the seller had a list of store stock he had, including that title. I wrote him like twice and never received a reply. Finally at a record show once there was a dealer that had some of the guy's stock and I bought it from that guy that one time, he only had one copy. I told the dealer to get more copies of the title from the guy and I would buy them but he never did. I wonder what happened to all that stock. Most of the other stuff was crap.

Social source share

I don't know anything about the group. Actually the chanson label is weird, as there are maybe multiple labels with that name in different parts of the country. That seems strange to me because it isn't a common name / reference (at least that I know of). I just googled "chanson" and it's some sort of french song or something...

One thing vaguely amusing was that I was looking for "true love is hard to find" for years as I managed to collect the other two pretty easily. It was obnoxious because there was this huge ad in discoveries every month where the seller had a list of store stock he had, including that title. I wrote him like twice and never received a reply. Finally at a record show once there was a dealer that had some of the guy's stock and I bought it from that guy that one time, he only had one copy. I told the dealer to get more copies of the title from the guy and I would buy them but he never did. I wonder what happened to all that stock. Most of the other stuff was crap.

also, there was that studio group chanson that did that nice cut "did you ever". obviously the word meant something to someone at some time.

Social source share

cheers Bob. One thing I have noticed is their "Calling" record seems to be a take on The LMNOP's "Calling" on James Brown's JBP label out of Pulaski that is credited to Skip August as writer, with Unlimited Four's being the usual writers Brown, Harrison & Collins?

steve

Social source share

cheers Bob. One thing I have noticed is their "Calling" record seems to be a take on The LMNOP's "Calling" on James Brown's JBP label out of Pulaski that is credited to Skip August as writer, with Unlimited Four's being the usual writers Brown, Harrison & Collins?

steve

I never noticed that, will have to play them to compare. There are so many instances of soul songs being stolen from other records. That's not "the" James Brown that had that label by the way.

Social source share

I never noticed that, will have to play them to compare. There are so many instances of soul songs being stolen from other records. That's not "the" James Brown that had that label by the way.

You know Bob, in my ignorance I'd always assumed it was THE James Brown! frusty2.gif Thanks for that!

and of course ones of the writers (and I assume group members) of Unlimited Four is J M BROWN! (along with Young, Collins & Harrison) So is this the "James Brown" of J.B.P. label? and indeed are the LMNOP's and Unlimited Four the same group?

...and where does Skip August fit in?

Interesting stuff, I'm curious!

steve

Social source share

Think most people prefer the 'True Love' side but for me it's the flip which is a killer and always gets a great dancefloor reaction when I play it:

Social source share

You know Bob, in my ignorance I'd always assumed it was THE James Brown! frusty2.gif Thanks for that!

and of course ones of the writers (and I assume group members) of Unlimited Four is J M BROWN! (along with Young, Collins & Harrison) So is this the "James Brown" of J.B.P. label? and indeed are the LMNOP's and Unlimited Four the same group?

...and where does Skip August fit in?

Interesting stuff, I'm curious!

steve

I doubt the lmnops are the same group as the unlimited four but I don't really know anything about either group.

The JBP label is the same label as the Tee Vee label (the combined catalog numbers line up).

When I bought LPs there was always this LP by some other "George Clinton" (the cover had an astronaut on it or something like that) that people would buy and get pissed off at.

Social source share

Social source share

I would presume the yellow label copies came after once the record picked up distribution although not much later?

Nice to see a good cheapie getting talked about.  I used  to play it out a bit maybe 10 or 12 years ago but it never worked.

So Blue was first?Just found out that all the Yellow copies have a hiss even if they look mint.Can anyone who has a copy confirm either way pls?i`ve got a record on hold after seller confirmed all 200 copies he has over 25 years+ were the same. I wanna be happy on the Blue Chanson copies are the same,has a hiss on the spoken intro half way throu track.I thought this would be a nice easy find,straight transaction ,driving me nuts.. Edited by Hammersoul
Social source share

So Blue was first?Just found out that all the Yellow copies have a hiss even if they look mint.Can anyone who has a copy confirm either way pls?i`ve got a record on hold after seller confirmed all 200 copies he has over 25 years+ were the same. I wanna be happy on the Blue Chanson copies are the same,has a hiss on the spoken intro half way throu track.I thought this would be a nice easy find,straight transaction ,driving me nuts..

My yellow label copy of Walk away is hiss free. Curiously, I could swear that the first copy I had of Happy/Callin' had surface noise toward the end - a swoosh at a certain part of the rotation that carried on into the runout grooves, but I played it the other day for the first time in ages and there was no noise whatsoever. I thought perhaps I'd mixed the two copies up, but no, both are clean.

I can only put it down to differences in stylus/weight and tracking as that last time I played it would have been on a different turntable.

Social source share

My yellow label copy of Walk away is hiss free. Curiously, I could swear that the first copy I had of Happy/Callin' had surface noise toward the end - a swoosh at a certain part of the rotation that carried on into the runout grooves, but I played it the other day for the first time in ages and there was no noise whatsoever. I thought perhaps I'd mixed the two copies up, but no, both are clean.

I can only put it down to differences in stylus/weight and tracking as that last time I played it would have been on a different turntable.

For some reason I've only seen yellow copies of walk away and blue copies of happy. Probably the different colored stock is all in the UK? I have a few copies of the walk away and they all play okay for me.

Social source share

I would presume the yellow label copies came after once the record picked up distribution although not much later? Nice to see a good cheapie getting talked about. I used to play it out a bit maybe 10 or 12 years ago but it never worked.

cleared the floor a few years ago in Newton Aycliffe when I played it.

nice record,maybe one day.

Kev

Social source share

My yellow of Walk Away is hiss free, would never have DJ'ed with a record that hissed all way through.

Ok good to hear not all copies hiss,i`ve always eventually found good clean copies except in 1/2 where i gave up(Might post up a few wants of them at a later date).Anybody got a clean copy for sale?Liberty takers need not apply,it`s only a cheapie,just saves me messaging loads of sellers for condiion etc.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!