Staying To The End

Just interested in the statistic ,are there many people out there that like to be at a nighter to the very end ? on a regular basis .

I suppose a promoter is more equipt to answer this question , do you see a large mass on thr floor when the lights go up ? ( they have to be standing :) Percentge wise 100 50 20 10 ?

Social source share

Just interested in the statistic ,are there many people out there that like to be at a nighter to the very end ? on a regular basis .

I suppose a promoter is more equipt to answer this question , do you see a large mass on thr floor when the lights go up ? ( they have to be standing :) Percentge wise 100 50 20 10 ?

Depends which team you support. :yes::D :D :D

Social source share

Good question. It depends on my mood. I don't see it as any kind of duty. The last one I attended in Barcelona I stayed till the very end, the night just flew past and the crowd were definitely up for more when the lights went up. Back in the 70s, I'd slope off beforehand on numerous occasions and for various reasons, i.e. the music was boring me or I wasn't feeling as "enthusiastic" as I had earlier on in the evening, but then you'd be faced with the dilemma of asking your mate for the car keys or walking home if the all-nighter was on home ground, as it was on many occasions, living in Peterborough.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Though I sneak out of nighters I'm guesting at an hour or two before the end (due to being bolloxed), I'm always surprised at people who leave about 5-5.30 when they're nearly at the end. Apart from it feeling like a bit of an achievement (silly I know), it's a very emotional time for me and I'm sure the regulars who hang on for the end and probably the best bit of the nighter in many cases; or perhaps it's just me being soppy and the satisfaction of having had another good night.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Though a lot have left by the end, there's always a very good dancefloor for the last few records and I'm sure that everyone who is there makes that effort to catch the last of the action.

Actually Den it is very much like the footie thing where you can't believe the home fans are leaving 5 mins early to get away quicker. My mates missed 3 goals in a 3-3 draw when we came back from behind with Arsenal (one of Bergkamps most famous hat tricks) by leaving a bit early.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Rarely leave before the end of a nighter, although I did at the last Rugby, no reflection on the music/people/venue by the way, it's just I wasn't driving, so options were limited. The last hour has always been the pinnacle for me, and the time to say to myself, yep I survived another one :lol: :lol:

The last hour has always been the best for dancing :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Good question. It depends on my mood. I don't see it as any kind of duty. The last one I attended in Barcelona I stayed till the very end, the night just flew past and the crowd were definitely up for more when the lights went up. Back in the 70s, I'd slope off beforehand on numerous occasions and for various reasons, i.e. the music was boring me or I wasn't feeling as "enthusiastic" as I had earlier on in the evening, but then you'd be faced with the dilemma of asking your mate for the car keys or walking home if the all-nighter was on home ground, as it was on many occasions, living in Peterborough.

I can testify, he did stay right until the absolute end and had to be dragged kicking and screaming from the premises...As we departed in a taxi all we could hear echoing from a nearby Spanish alleyway was a muffled voice screaming 'More! More! More!.......... :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Macca I bet its great leaving a club in Spain in the early hours of the morning , I can just see that lovely sunrise . I would have to go back a few years to recall staying to the very end , being ushered out of Tonys by the old lady sweeping up , then getting to the B&B , climbing the stairs on my knees for three hours sleep to then do a 6 hour journey back to Essex !

I used to love the twilight hours att the 100 because I always felt Ady was a master at the cool off , bringing you down to that relaxed state after a frantic night of dancing .

What I do recall at Tonys was it took an absolute age getting out of the venue at Tonys , it was like a mass hugathon, and everyone danced the last dance !

Edited by Carms
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Hi Carms,

At the Samanthas Allnigter last November there must have been more than 70% that stayed till the very end, cant blame them Rob Smith was on and was Outstanding as usual.

Would have thought that the number of people that are around at the end of a nighter is an indication of how good the night is/was throughout, even though a number of people will start to leave from 4am ish onwards, if the nighter is great they are less likely to do so.

Many times when I have gone to a nighter with the intention of leaving at 4am because of commitments the next day but end up staying to the end.

Cheers Phil

Social source share

Hi Phil , thats great , glad to read you had a great success with Samantha's. I guess its a personal thing really I loved Lifeline , the music was just out of this world for me , but I knew my limitations , I couldn't have stayed more than I did , faced with the journey home and what I needed to do the next day I know when to draw the line , that has come with years of practice :)

Also I am finding it depends what time you get to the venue , I like to catch the earlier spots so by 2am I have usually been there 6 hours already which is more than enough for me. I reckon if I arrived at 1am I could probibly make it to 7am :)

Social source share

I used to love the twilight hours att the 100 because I always felt Ady was a master at the cool off , bringing you down to that relaxed state after a frantic night of dancing .

After leaving the 100 into the daylight one morning, I wandered down to get the tube East back to Rovverhive. The only people on my side of the platform were a few who had also been up all night at various places, the other side was empty.

Then the strangest thing happened.

The other side slowly started filling up with thin people in running kit. After about ten minutes it was absolutely rammed. The few of us on our side, looking like sh*t, stared in amazement at them whilst they, looking like they had had a good nights sleep after a large plate of pasta, did the same to us.

The trains turned up and we boarded and disappeared in different directions.

Turned out it was the day of the London Marathon. I've always wondered what route to the start they had been given as they were all heading west.

Social source share

These days I am probably more likely to stay to the end if the night finishes at 6 am, lightweight that I am. That doesn't mean to say I won't still be there at kick out though.

I think Friday nighters suffer more due to the fact that a lot of people work on Saturdays now.

Social source share

i will always try and stay til the end,,,love coming home on the sunday mornning after a niter,,,the people on the scene today are just BRILLIANT! love it love it love it

I normally stay, because i`m normally trying to round up the wife, otherwise i`m pulling Ian james outta a manhole :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

to be honest 5ish is normally my time....but ive normally been there since early doors and dancin to the fast stuff!!..

not a cop out but since being diagnosed type 1 diabetic a few years back once ive hit the wall its a nightmare trying to get through it and keeping my sugar levels right and the day after i can get into such a deep sleep sometimes i dont wake up when i need to which can cause fits ...not pretty for nicci who has to sort me out...

saying that i do make the end occasionally..and yes its an achievment...fair play to those who do it regular

dean

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

I normally stay, because i`m normally trying to round up the wife, otherwise i`m pulling Ian james outta a manhole :yes:

I've read this a few times and cant work out if you are being Very Rude

Social source share

Was at Wigan revival in Wigan with couple of mates a few years ago, who always stay to the end.

The night was awful, by approx 5am it was sparse, just a few walking wounded

Managed to persuade the promoter to end it early, so we could leave with our dignity in tact.

Social source share

I must admit I can't get my head around this dignity in tact thing . And I know where you are coming from on it , I do understand those feelings.

I think that a promoter is only too glad that you supported his or her night . I wouldn'd think and ill of anyone leaving before the end . We are all grown up and some have more commitments than others . Some have children and hard jobs and some are not in 100 % good health , some may like to get home to do other things :wub:

It doesn't make things easy I know when you do leave early , cause it feels like you walking the gauntlet sometimes lol because many are outside smoking you can't really crawl out on your belly lol

I say hold your head up high and bugger what anyone else thinks :)

Edited by Carms
Social source share

After leaving the 100 into the daylight one morning, I wandered down to get the tube East back to Rovverhive. The only people on my side of the platform were a few who had also been up all night at various places, the other side was empty.

Then the strangest thing happened.

The other side slowly started filling up with thin people in running kit. After about ten minutes it was absolutely rammed. The few of us on our side, looking like sh*t, stared in amazement at them whilst they, looking like they had had a good nights sleep after a large plate of pasta, did the same to us.

The trains turned up and we boarded and disappeared in different directions.

Turned out it was the day of the London Marathon. I've always wondered what route to the start they had been given as they were all heading west.

Paul you wanna try arriving in London and making a crazy commitment to visit your friend at St Katherines having just landed from the North " Souling " on Marathon day,,,,,, Never again ! Tower Bridge was something else .

Social source share

you might have been better served with a poll Carms?

I leave when I'm ready and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. Been there, done it and out grown the tee shirt as far as nighters and the scene is concerned and don't have to explain myself to anyone and don't really see why anyone else should to be honest.

If you want a poll Carms I'll sort it for you within this topic?

I thought you'd put on a bit of weight, but didn't like to say :lol:

Social source share

No need for a poll Chalks , I just wanted peoples views on it. and we have had a great response to the question. I get the impression most people understand that people that do leave early are no light weights , they just have a different set of priorities depending on their own circumstances at the time.

I think I might play a trick on you all at skegy and sleep in until 3am and then pop in as fresh as a daisy and stay to the end lol

Edited by Carms
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No need for a poll Chalks , I just wanted peoples views on it. and we have had a great response to the question. I get the impression most people understand that people that do leave early are no light weights , they just have a different set of priorities depending on their own circumstances at the time.

I think I might play a trick on you all at skegy and sleep in until 3am and then pop in as fresh as a daisy and stay to the end lol

No Carms.People who leave ARE lightweights.....Hi i'm Kev and i'm a lightweight.!!! There,i said it.Phew.!!!! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Distance travelled to venues, specific venues, whether you stay to the end or not, they all count for nothing really, they're only ''improved status'' to those who are of that particular limited mindset :thumbsup:

Social source share

I work a lot of hours, can be away all week then I'm up early again on Monday morning. I don't mind going out it is the waste of a Sunday feeling like sh*t I can no longer be doing with. Plus I guess some apathy is creeping in with very few venues offering anyting new and having been going somewhere for all these years, many have had many years off the scene. Anyway like I said I go when I'm ready.

As for Skeggy i'll have Kerry with me so deffo wont be there all night, I have to hide to keep her there till 4 :-)

Social source share

Hi Carms, I can't see any difference if you go early or stay late. Everyones circumstances is different, as long as you participate, and enjoy that's all you got to worry about. Hope you're keeping well,

Cheers Billy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Carmen, in the past I have been known to take a nap, then wake up, ready to dance lol, my secrets out now,its all based on personal circumstances, for us anyways , the latest I have ever stayed is 8 am, but that was a about 3 years ago,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

would it be OK if i had a small snack - perhaps something like a cheese toastie and a cup of tea - and then stay until the end - or would this deem me a lightweight and disqualify me from saying I've been to an allnighter. Would only the time up until the snack was taken be counted ? - which would make it a mini nighter, which of course does not exist and is really only a Soul night !

Social source share

would it be OK if i had a small snack - perhaps something like a cheese toastie and a cup of tea - and then stay until the end - or would this deem me a lightweight and disqualify me from saying I've been to an allnighter. Would only the time up until the snack was taken be counted ? - which would make it a mini nighter, which of course does not exist and is really only a Soul night !

Most definately . I shall join you :) I always take a sugar snack and have a nibble when I feel I am getting tired , also I find I get acid indegestion around 3am ? I guess because you are drinking alcohol and still awake when you are normally sleeping the tums crying out for some food .

I have been known to take some bread with me and this has calmed the situ. Another must is a pair of earplugs , you know when you attend those constant 100 mile an hour do's where the tempo is fast for many hours and it gets to a point in the night when the music feels like its starting to get too loud and you are wanting for it to slow down , welll I have found earplugs have been a god send . I can still hear the sounds , but its much softer :)

Yes me thinks its an age thing :( I used to love having a coffee and a bar of chocolate at 4am at Tonys .

Notice the time I posted this :ohmy:

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!