Karmello Brooks Tell Me Baby ( Milestone)

Thejan

4021294284.jpg

Milestone was a NYC jazz label which was owned by Orrin Keepnews, the man behind the legendary Riverside jazz label. When Riverside folded he started Mileston in the late 60s, with LPs from Gary Bartz, Joe Henderson and Phil Upchirck among others. It was not until the mid-70s that the venture rose to prominence with jazz/funk hits from the likes of Azymuth, Flora Purim and Sonny Rollins.

In the early days a handful of singles were issued and this Karmello Brooks one is almost certainly a one-off. It was aimed primarily at the supper club jazz market judjing by the A-side ballad 'You're Breaking My Heart', but perhaps producer Phil Moore III cut his own ballad, then she would get to put one of her own compositions on the flip.

That turned out to be 'Tell me baby', which is very removed from the world of jazz, save for one moment of scat singing slipped into the middle. It's basically one of those well-orchestrated pop songs that were recorded by the likes of Laura Nyro, Samantha Jones or Azie Mortimer in the late 60s and this one has the best tune of them all.

An outstanding record , and a bargain at any price :thumbsup:

Edited by 123-motown
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Magic Record.. Top 10 for me! Nearly had a copy in 1991/92. Micky Cruise swapped The Counts for Karmello Brooks with Lenny Harkins to get the copy for me! Never got it in the end cos John Powney begged Micky for it on trades Micky just couldn't refuse.

Gutted and a long standing guilt trip Mr C has been on for 20 years after betraying his bezzie mate!

I have forgiven him (I think) lol

Social source share

Magic Record.. Top 10 for me! Nearly had a copy in 1991/92. Micky Cruise swapped The Counts for Karmello Brooks with Lenny Harkins to get the copy for me! Never got it in the end cos John Powney begged Micky for it on trades Micky just couldn't refuse.

Gutted and a long standing guilt trip Mr C has been on for 20 years after betraying his bezzie mate!

I have forgiven him (I think) lol

Remember the night well alas later than 92 , shotts was all done and dusted and we were back in Duncan Polletts flat after driving back from a do in Dundee... Possibly 93-94, deal done with Mickey that night, I had fell out of love with the record ... A bit too jazzamatazz for my era ... And on the rarity .... Myself , Duncan Pollet and Jim Tennant all had the record within a 5 mile radius of each other, mines and Duncan's costing £35,,, not my cup of tea any more but that could be sour grapes , every man to their own.

Social source share

Was a big tune at both Yate & Stafford, found my copy in a junk shop in Swindon, by the old tech collage around 77/78. Sold it to John Anderson in the mid 80's. Think that was the copy that he then sold to Richard Searling, that he was then playing on the radio in the late80's/early 90's

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

In the wants guidelines the following advice appears

If members do not want comments to appear within the ad then lock the topic and ask for all responses to be via PM. If the topic is not locked then members are asked to restrict their comments to those which may help to locate the item. Any wider discussion can be accommodated by opening a new topic in LAYB.

Have I written this in Latin? Are the people posting on here devoid of comprehension?

Locking the topic.

ROD [Forum Moderator]

Social source share