[Rs] mr floods party - compared to what - bulldog uk promo

On 7/23/2010 at 23:15, dthedrug said:

:thumbsup: HI ALL..I HAVE ASUMED IT WAS RELEASED ON THE (PATCHES RECORD LABEL) 1st, in fact i am sure it was???:rolleyes: DAVE KIL

post-13241-013709000 1279923287_thumb.jp

never seen this imprint before..i thought the patches label was a fake being used by SS on his Willie Hutch bootleg..

Social source share

Thanks. It does look like a word, doesn't it - and it's definitely not done in the Greek Cyrillic alphabet. Spent half an hour online trying to see if I could identify the script/language and wonder if it's Arabic, in which case the word reads from right to left. See attached image of the Arabic alphabet - it is possible to make out several, but not all of the characters.

No idea what it means though and I could just be completely wrong - it really might just be a squiggle after all. Any Arabic speakers here?

If it really is a word, you have the puzzle of why a record made in Greece has Arabic (or whatever language it is) on the sleeve...

post-9478-062316900 1279528063_thumb.jpg

It's all Greek to me.......................... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think they are all here ?

https://www.soul-sour...0floods%20party

I had a gander at that Ken and only one 'could' be the GM cut but the data in refo says 'Label: Soul-TBC'

It could well be but I have no way of knowing for sure - the comparison I'm after really is GM against Bulldog..

If anybody can post up a clip of the GM cut much appreciated..

Thanks

Greg.

Social source share

Guest Guest

I had a gander at that Ken and only one 'could' be the GM cut but the data in refo says 'Label: Soul-TBC'

It could well be but I have no way of knowing for sure - the comparison I'm after really is GM against Bulldog..

If anybody can post up a clip of the GM cut much appreciated..

Thanks

Greg.

I'm sure someone will ost it up when refo-soul is back up or will post a utube job ?

Social source share

the carol woods lp is worth checking out

hatsoff2.gif Hi All...I have looked through mmpler LP BLACK INC. y LP collection and sadly have not got the track, only Carrol woods tracks i have are on the sampler EMBER LP - BLACK INC 2 tracks however it has Mickey Stevonson which although not on this LP but on his own LP , if you follow a brilliant track "STORMY" I remember Mick Smith having the Album of me after I played it to him, it's a shame that ember did not put this out as a 45, did the Carill Woods you talk about make it to a 45:ph34r: DAVE

Social source share

• 2 months later...

if you like the record listen to the origanal by ray charles its ten times better.

The original version was not done by Ray Charles. Ray Charles did record it, and it's a good version, but that was recorded in 1980 on Crossover/Atlantic 3762. Other notable versions include Della Reese.

The original version appears on the album 'Swiss Movement' by Les McCann with saxophonist Eddie Harris from their performance at the 1969 Montreaux Festival. Also interesting is that the lyrics and Swiss Movement vocal came courtesy of Gene McDaniels

There's a good blog here for more https://funky16corner...ed-to-what.html

Regards

Greg.

Social source share

The original version was not done by Ray Charles. Ray Charles did record it, and it's a good version, but that was recorded in 1980 on Crossover/Atlantic 3762. Other notable versions include Della Reese.

The original version appears on the album 'Swiss Movement' by Les McCann with saxophonist Eddie Harris from their performance at the 1969 Montreaux Festival.

There's a good blog here for more https://funky16corner...ed-to-what.html

Regards

Greg.

della reese - compared to what -

Bulldog version is best.

mr floods party - compared to what -

Of coarse my opinion.

Social source share

In 1969, Atlantic Records released Swiss Movement, a recording of McCann with regular collaborator and saxophonist Eddie Harris and guest trumpeter Benny Bailey at that year's Montreux Jazz Festival. The album contained the song "Compared To What," and both the album and the single were huge Billboard pop chart successes. "Compared To What" featured political criticism of the Vietnam War. The song was not actually written by McCann; fellow Atlantic composer/artist Eugene McDaniels (A Hundred Pounds of Clay) wrote it years earlier. "Compared To What" was initially recorded and released by soul vocalist Roberta Flack. Her version appeared as the opening track on her debut recording, First Take (1969).

kev

Social source share

• 3 years later...

A LITTLE LATE IN THE DAY FOR THIS COMMENT BUT,...IT SEEMED EMBER RECORDS HAD A  "MARY WHITEHOUSE" (IF YOU REMEMBER HER) WOMENS RIGHTS BUSY BODY ! MOMENT.... ANYWAY IT WAS BROUGHT TO THE POWERS THAT BE THAT THE PHRASE   "UNWED MOTHERS NEED ABORTIONS" WAS A STEP TOO FAR & WITHDREW IT, SHARPISH FASHION, THATS WHY ITS RARE ON UK EMBER,....HOPE THIS HELPS ...GLEN.

Social source share