Gut Wrenching Soul - Lads V Lasses

Guest Brian Fradgley

Guest Brian Fradgley

Soul music is personal to every individual and replies to this topic will vary accordingly but going through collection recently some recordings really "hit the spot" for sheer FEELING.

The question is - DO THE GIRLS DO IT BETTER THAN THE LADS ?

Listen to tracks like "If you can learn to cry" by Stephanie Mills (B side)

"Here I am again" Denise Lasalle.

or "I

Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

Male track missing is "I'm so afraid" Bobby Taylor

Do the lasses really wring their hearts out better than the lads ?

Social source share

tough question, i reckon female singers just "beat" male singers, but listen on youtube to bobby sheen "sweet, sweet love" and clydie king "soft and gentle ways" ,and theres not much in it, two brilliant tracks by the way .

Social source share

I'm not sure over all whether its the guys or the gals, but 'After all' by the mighty soulful Sam Dees is probably as gut wrenching as this man can stand.

If those lyrics haven't come from a personal experience, then he is more of a genius than I could ever give him credit for. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Superb thread,

One of hundreds both male/female =

Ben E King : I Who Have Nothing, After my ex turned my kids against me after marriage broke up, I heard this and i cried for weeks.

Like it's been said, If you can link a song with an event in your life, it gives that extra meaning. :(

Garry

P.S. The Dells : Make Sure

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Soul music is personal to every individual and replies to this topic will vary accordingly but going through collection recently some recordings really "hit the spot" for sheer FEELING.

The question is - DO THE GIRLS DO IT BETTER THAN THE LADS ?

Listen to tracks like "If you can learn to cry" by Stephanie Mills (B side)

"Here I am again" Denise Lasalle.

or "I

Not quite gut wrenching, but oh so soulful Edward Hamilton MaryJane "With A Willing Mind"

Social source share

Satchmo - Wonderful World, gets me weepy everytime dont know why Louis sings this brilliantly maybe it makes me wonder about how bad this world is sometimes especially after it was on the good morning Vietnam film with it playing in the background as people were being blown up etc  that made it worse I blubbed away find it hard to watch the film now.

Big tough geordie eh LOL

and there are a lot of male vocals that just hit the spot The Panic is on Roy Hamilton is superb, but on the whole if i really press my brain its a 50/50 split there are some superb fenale tracks that just do it, Gladys Knight, the way we were just reduces me like Satchmo, Areatha,  could name a whole host of hers that send shivers down the spine she tackles each song uniquely

Geeoooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

two of my faves, ella washington-can't afford to lose him, and freddie hughes-send my baby back

gut wrenching soul of the finest order, when it gets near the end and freddie is pouring his heart out, gets me every time...enjoy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

two of my faves, ella washington-can't afford to lose him, and freddie hughes-send my baby back

Excellent sides   :thumbsup:

Not making any comparisons as to which are best as they are all superb but a couple of covers of those are also worth a good listen.

Baby Washington's cover of "I Can't Afford To Lose Him" on Cotillion and The San Francisco TKO's cover of "Send My Baby Back"

Social source share

Excellent sides   :thumbsup:

Not making any comparisons as to which are best as they are all superb but a couple of covers of those are also worth a good listen.

Baby Washington's cover of "I Can't Afford To Lose Him" on Cotillion and The San Francisco TKO's cover of "Send My Baby Back"

:hatsoff2: Oh yes Dave

Kev

Social source share

Levi Stubbs, does it for me, he always sang with so much emotion. Ask the Lonely being a favorite of mine.

Oh yeah - top bloke and top tune. I think if you are a man and you listen to soul music (especially the really sad emotional stuff about heartaches and break ups) you often put yourself into the position of the singer and pretend/imagine it is you that is singing. There is nothing quite as invigorating as a good old tearjerker. I like to listen to one every morning - sets me up for the day - Originals - Baby I'm For Real - usually hits the mark or perhaps Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A couple from the great O.V.Wright, he makes emotional torment sound so believable. Unfortunately "I Can't Take It" cuts off at the end.

Wonderful, one of the few artists I could listen to all day

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

And a couple from the lasses

Soul of the highest order ...

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

And a couple from the lasses

Soul of the highest order ...

Didn,t know the Kim Tolliver Dave, wow, shades of Laura Lee, "Guess who I saw today" or the full length "Since I fell for you"  made my day mate, the Lady Margo is another gem that you put on a CD, not that technical myself, but hearing them 2 belters has given me the urge to listen to The New Births album version of "Wildflower"

Cheers Dave

Kev

Social source share

gotta be the ladies. check out the opening moans of this bessie banks track. i heard those three backing voices are doris troy, cissy houston, and dee dee warwick. not a bad crew of back-ups!

Bessie Banks - sounds like my baby (Tiger)

Ruby Johnson - when my love comes down (Volt)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!