The Players " He'll Be Back " Album On Manship's

Well great album this had it around 6 years now the northern track   " Why did i lie " was originally played by me way back in the early 80's covered up as Riley Hampton  " I never should have lied "  i later sold it to one Mr  Dyson after he pested me for it for several weeks  . I have been playing the second mentiond track  " Get hep to love " covered as The Cashmeres  " Boy you'd better  get smart 2 for the last 3 years at various local nights. this track is a nice mid-tempo group vocal that has huge potental , i will be spinning it in the rare room a skeggy next week

atb steve :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  

Social source share

I've got "why did i lie" on minit demo, great track :yes: . I don't go for lp's so had to find other track on youtube, not bad at all.

Social source share

well, i also posessed this lp until just recently, when one mr. searling commendeered it!...it didnt register at first but he must have sniffed something happening or perhaps, quite innocently, had been looking for a copy for a while...but then again the man has immense taste....then WOW!, jm is auctioning a copy, rung richard to let him know, very surprised, but in essence why shouldnt it be...it has to be quite obscure and this one must also be mint as well as the sleeve. THE standout track though, is "get hep to love"...is this CURTIS or not?, this would be right up mr. mayfield's repetoire...covering it up? ok, from the point of view of not too many people knowing it, i wouldn't bother, even though i no longer have it, fact is these were a talented enough group without having to resort to cloak & dagger.

Social source share

I picked this album up some 25 years ago now from Manship, I cant believe "Get hep to love" has been covered up, this was a huge track at various clubs 20+ years ago i.e the Munster Arms Birmingham, Canal Tavern Thorne, The Derby Big City Soul Nights, it also saw action at Chris Anderton's Bretby nights, Pitches in Rotherham and it has had repeated spins over the years at Soul Essence.

It is a cracking tune though, several months ago I played an album only early hour spot at Snooks Northern night in Raunds and dropped it to a very healthy response.

Gouch

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I know we covered this just recently, but the 2 Vietnam ballads are the killers for me "He'll be back" and "Im so glad you waited" are sublime

Kev

:thumbsup:  absolute killers Kev.

I also really like "Peace of Mind" which was later covered by Skip Jackson on Capitol, Executive Branch on Express, and someone else I just can't think of at the moment.

Social source share

Well great album this had it around 6 years now the northern track   " Why did i lie " was originally played by me way back in the early 80's covered up as Riley Hampton  " I never should have lied "  i later sold it to one Mr  Dyson after he pested me for it for several weeks  . I have been playing the second mentiond track  " Get hep to love " covered as The Cashmeres  " Boy you'd better  get smart 2 for the last 3 years at various local nights. this track is a nice mid-tempo group vocal that has huge potental , i will be spinning it in the rare room a skeggy next week

atb steve :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  

Have to choose my words carefully here!!! Why would someone claim " Why did i lie " was originally played by me way back in the early 80's covered up as Riley Hampton when the record was and is quite common and generally well known by most collectors since the late 60's early 70's. Also the album only track GET HEP TO LOVE is also very well known and has been played at northern nights since the early 70's. I sold a copy to Ian Levine in '73 and he played it at the Mecca. Just goes to show that some of you out there think an unknown is just something you have never heard regardless of whether the rest of us know it. Perhaps I should come to one of your gigs and uncover all of your exclusives if they are as well known as these tracks.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

that peace of mind (there are a few songs with that name) was originally done by the magnificent men.

That's it Bob, just couldn't think of it  ... a blank moment  :D

Jerry Butler as well

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

:thumbsup:  absolute killers Kev.

I also really like "Peace of Mind" which was later covered by Skip Jackson on Capitol, Executive Branch on Express, and someone else I just can't think of at the moment.

Yes Dave, know this aswell, my mate Gaz Simon put 4 of the tracks on tape for me years ago "Peace of mind" was one of em, quality again, remember Boba telling me they were from The Cabrini Green projects which looked more like a war zone when I saw a documentary about it years ago, remember thinking, if you can survive that, you can survive "The Nam"

Kev

Social source share

hi george didnt know either had already been played in the early 70's  as i didn't start on the scene till 75   the get hep track i had played to several top d.j's and they didnt know it  so covered it for fun . at end of the day tracks like this deserve air time far better than the same top 500  i hope you agree  . as for the chose words  no harm done mate
Social source share

the get hep track i had played to several top d.j's and they didnt know it  so covered it for fun . at end of the day tracks like this deserve air time far better than the same top 500  i hope you agree  . as for the chose words  no harm done mate

That sounds about right - most DJ's are so 45rpm obsessed that they wouldn't recognise most of the album only killers out there. In addition to a vast collection of singles I have also collected albums since the early 70's and have often done DJ spots where I have played only obscure album tracks - causes much head scratching and puzzled looks from some of the punters. Interesting that someone mentioned the original version of Peace Of Mind by The Magnificent Men on this thread because they have recorded some brilliant album only Northern tracks also - KEEP ON CLIMBING and JUST WALK IN MY SHOES - for starters.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the get hep track i had played to several top d.j's and they didnt know it  so covered it for fun . at end of the day tracks like this deserve air time far better than the same top 500  i hope you agree  . as for the chose words  no harm done mate

That sounds about right - most DJ's are so 45rpm obsessed that they wouldn't recognise most of the album only killers out there. In addition to a vast collection of singles I have also collected albums since the early 70's and have often done DJ spots where I have played only obscure album tracks - causes much head scratching and puzzled looks from some of the punters. Interesting that someone mentioned the original version of Peace Of Mind by The Magnificent Men on this thread because they have recorded some brilliant album only Northern tracks also - KEEP ON CLIMBING and JUST WALK IN MY SHOES - for starters.

Have to agree here, as i previously stated i don't buy lp's, so i do miss out on a lot of tracks. but carrying a 200 count 45 box and a lp box does not appeal to me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!