Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Wonderful birds - just so unusual in so many ways. I wonder what the entity or force responsible for their existence was thinking!

a hiccup, like the tree that got the Timebandits in trouble in the film of that title, the pink Bungado or something similar sounding if my memory serves me well(ish)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-33051-0-62175400-1416648735_thumb.jpost-33051-0-13043200-1416648757_thumb.jpost-33051-0-04714500-1416648778_thumb.j

This is Lantana camara, still in profuse flower here, and a great candidate for bonsai, comes in a myriad of colours now thanks to intense cross breeding, so I'm looking at digging up some established plants this winter to put into pots and train as bonsai, at least that is my plan, it may constitute a move to a bigger place.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

attachicon.gifDSC09616.JPGattachicon.gifDSC09617.JPGattachicon.gifDSC09608.JPG

This is Lantana camara, still in profuse flower here, and a great candidate for bonsai, comes in a myriad of colours now thanks to intense cross breeding, so I'm looking at digging up some established plants this winter to put into pots and train as bonsai, at least that is my plan, it may constitute a move to a bigger place.

Dave. It's great to see plants in bloom like that. It's been raining in Manchester for the last 18 hours. Dark and miserable. Just starting to brighten up. Still all this rain keeps the dust down.

Steve

Social source share

Dave. It's great to see plants in bloom like that. It's been raining in Manchester for the last 18 hours. Dark and miserable. Just starting to brighten up. Still all this rain keeps the dust down.

Steve

We are due some rain Steve, and as long as it comes about once a fortnight I don't mind, it's grey at the moment, but warm enough, so I can't complain.  The first of the narcissi are in flower, but too far away for me to get to photograph them this year.  Just 3 months until the spring flowers start showing, until then the bougainvilleas, bignonias, hibiscus, lantana and aloes will keep me happy. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG_0387.JPG

This cauldron of boiling water was taken on the  afon llugwy above betws y coed and about a mile below swallow falls and believe it or not the river was very low due to insufficient rain fall.

Managed to see four dippers, three grey wagtails, plenty of long tailed, great and blue tits, a few herons and a male bullfinch. No pictures unfortunately

Steve

You got your new camera yet?

Social source share

Russell. I,m caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Do i pay the rip off uk price of £1600 or buy a American import without a uk warranty for £1100 or do i wait six months for the price to drop by around £500 

Steve

Hmm, I see your problem. However, based in that equation the simple answer in my view is to wait. Spend the £500 saved on some additional kit or a weekend in Amsterdam or some 45s or…or…or…  :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Saw a robin this morning, not a juvenile and no red breast, he was all over black.  I know there's a black robin native to New Zealand, but wondered if it's just a case of too much melanin, i.e. the reverse of the white melanin deficiency type?  If the weather improves I'll take my camera out and try to get a shot if he's still around, but it's wet at the moment and not too inviting. 

Social source share

Saw a robin this morning, not a juvenile and no red breast, he was all over black.  I know there's a black robin native to New Zealand, but wondered if it's just a case of too much melanin, i.e. the reverse of the white melanin deficiency type?  If the weather improves I'll take my camera out and try to get a shot if he's still around, but it's wet at the moment and not too inviting. 

Did you catch sight of its rump? If not, could it have been either a black redstart or a black wheatear?

Waiting for the weather to improve? I thought it was always sunshiny in your neck of the woods…  :wicked:  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did you catch sight of its rump? If not, could it have been either a black redstart or a black wheatear?

Waiting for the weather to improve? I thought it was always sunshiny in your neck of the woods…  :wicked:  :lol:

Yes, Russell, saw it's rump, all black, all over, definitely a robin, seen it twice now, first time I dismissed it as a black redstart, which there is at least one locally, but this is different.

We need rain desperately, and I'm happy if it comes about once a fortnight, but when it comes it tends to come in buckets.

Social source share

Dave. It could be a female black redstart. They look very much like a black robin.

Steve

Social source share

Dave. Just been looking through all my bird books and I can only see the one bird like you have described mate either a female or immature male black redstart. The black wheater has a white tail and rump.

Steve

I still think it could be a robin with too much melanin, I've known it happen before, hopefully I can get a photo if I can find it again.

Thanks for having a look Steve, I don't have any bird books here.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have seen one, many years ago caged in New Zealand, I don't know where they got it from though, looked quite perky and obviously well loved.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No Dave ... I shall keep a look out for that now

I was sat on a bank eating my lunch when a pair swam past slowly, their teeth were the first thing I noticed as I was going to throw some bread, then I thought that beak is meant for something far more serious than bread.  Lovely birds, but they have a prehistoric look to their bills

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was sat on a bank eating my lunch when a pair swam past slowly, their teeth were the first thing I noticed as I was going to throw some bread, then I thought that beak is meant for something far more serious than bread.  Lovely birds, but they have a prehistoric look to their bills

Dave you needed the fishes to go with the loaf. All sawbill ducks are fish eaters.

Steve

Social source share

Dave you needed the fishes to go with the loaf. All sawbill ducks are fish eaters.

Steve

I haven't eaten meat or fish since I was a teenager, and the last time I touched any was to feed a guillemot that I rescued when it was covered in oil, surprisingly it liked sardines in tomato sauce, that was all I could find in the convenience store on a Sunday night.
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

martyn pitt, on 30 Nov 2014 - 4:54 PM, said:

A nice pair of Goosander fly past ... a gentleman and his lady  :)

attachicon.gif430_077.jpg

TattooDave, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:46 PM, said:

Have you ever seen one close up Martyn?  Surprisingly they have big teeth!

martyn pitt, on 30 Nov 2014 - 9:52 PM, said:

No Dave ... I shall keep a look out for that now

post-5734-0-24294900-1417442459_thumb.pn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Steve the camera's sensor has been fooled, you need to be adding +EV 1 or 2 stops.

Do you have any image processing software at all?

Martyn. I was shooting into the sun which was very low in the sky. Could hardly see myself. Big thanks for advice again thou mate  :hatsoff2: always appreciated

Regarding image processing . I have the Cannon supplied dpp software which i don't use apart from to crop my images

Steve,

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share