Deon Jackson On Carla

Can someone please tell me how many label designs were there for Carla? It's just that after buying Deon Jackson's Ooh Baby back in March, I've been looking at buying some of his other stuff. The only thing putting me off is the amount of different label designs, not too sure if stuff was booted or not. sad.gif

for example:

6e_1.JPG

0740.JPG

Anyway, any info & recommendations gratefully received.

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can someone please tell me how many label designs were there for Carla? It's just that after buying Deon Jackson's Ooh Baby back in March, I've been looking at buying some of his other stuff. The only thing putting me off is the amount of different label designs, not too sure if stuff was booted or not. :shades:

for example:

6e_1.JPG

0740.JPG

Aha! Another Ollie Fan! I have all of his stuff with Deon Jackson and none of it is expensive or particularly rare. As far as I'm aware it was never booted either. The Carla Records by DJ are all on the Red label variants. A quick serach of gemm or ebay should throw up results for you. As far as recomendations are concerned, try this link here

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/articles/art001/art001.html

for an intro to Ollie's work which includes DJs stuff as well, but basically you can't go wrong with any DJ track, he didn't make a bad one.

If you like Deon's stuff then the rest of the labels' soul output is certainly worth investigating, there's some fantastic music on the labels. He also has an LP of Detroit songs that's worth having. Once again, not rare at all.

I think Deon Jackson is currently living in Memphis. If anyone has any contact details I'd appreciate them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

PS. You've made my day with this post! Strange how it's the little things that put a spring in an ole soulies step eh? frusty2.gif

Social source share

Can someone please tell me how many label designs were there for Carla? It's just that after buying Deon Jackson's Ooh Baby back in March, I've been looking at buying some of his other stuff. The only thing putting me off is the amount of different label designs, not too sure if stuff was booted or not. sad.gif

The only 'odd' one I've seen by him is 'Some day that sun will shine' which is evidently some kind of reissue / boot

'That's what you do to me'

Social source share

I personally like the Crimson design labels with the silver lettering, I have "Ooh Baby " and " Love makes the world go round " on that variant. One of my fav' Artists is Deon, " You said you love me " the flip to " Love makes the world go round " is my Favourite I'd have to say.

Social source share

I personally like the Crimson design labels with the silver lettering, I have "Ooh Baby " and " Love makes the world go round " on that variant. One of my fav' Artists is Deon, " You said you love me " the flip to " Love makes the world go round " is my Favourite I'd have to say.

The B to 'thats what you do to me' my favourite. find it quite haunting :lol:

Social source share

Can someone please tell me how many label designs were there for Carla? It's just that after buying Deon Jackson's Ooh Baby back in March, I've been looking at buying some of his other stuff. The only thing putting me off is the amount of different label designs, not too sure if stuff was booted or not. :lol:

Here`s the different Carla label designs that i have,hope this helps :lol:

Dave f.........

post-2848-1150368411.jpg post-2848-1150368470.jpg post-2848-1150368603.jpg post-2848-1150368582.jpg

post-2848-1150368649.jpg post-2848-1150368691.jpg post-2848-1150368720.jpg post-2848-1150368778.jpg

Social source share

Thoroughly recommend all Deon's material, but my absolute fave is 'When Your Love Is Gone' his most underrated tune!

Simply beautiful and been a regular spin of mine for years at Soul Essence.

Sean Hampsey

Deffo agree Sean, this is my fave track from this excellent artist, have played it out a couple of time to moderate dancefloor action, gonna keep plugging it tho, superb! :lol:

Lenny

Social source share

Good Man Lenny.

You've got impeccable taste Sir!

I've been plugging it for well over 10 years - Interesting how it's taking so long to get noticed.

It's certainly the least formulaic of all his 45's and just builds and builds throughout.

I'm sure though that the day will come for "When Your Love Is Gone"... and everybody will want one.

:lol:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Good Man Lenny.

You've got impeccable taste Sir!

I've been plugging it for well over 10 years - Interesting how it's taking so long to get noticed.

It's certainly the least formulaic of all his 45's and just builds and builds throughout.

I'm sure though that the day will come for "When Your Love Is Gone"... and everybody will want one.

Its starting to gather plays Sean. Soulsville, Greatstone etc. His best, and another rec from you if my memory serves me correctly.

Seen the draft CH reunion flyer. You get first billing, as always :lol:

:lol::lol:

Steve

Social source share

Steve M

Steve,

No need to be upset. Apart from my impeccable taste in music, vast knowledge (See Latest Quiz), Prowess behind the decks and enormous record collection I'd just put that down to my boyish charm and good looks!

Looking forward to sharing the platform with you once again old mate, after these 20+ years. A pleasure and a privelege.

We'll have a ball!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Steve M

Steve,

No need to be upset. Apart from my impeccable taste in music, vast knowledge (See Latest Quiz), Prowess behind the decks and enormous record collection I'd just put that down to my boyish charm and good looks!

Looking forward to sharing the platform with you once again old mate, after these 20+ years. A pleasure and a privelege.

We'll have a ball!

Sean Hampsey

You are lucky, haven't even put me on it....... yet... :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Hard To Get Thing Called Love" is fantastic, and his originally unreleased version of "I Remember The Feeling" is pretty nifty too. Even so, it's hard to better "Ooh Baby", innit?

TONE :D

Social source share

Having taken your advice John, I've just purchased this near mint copy off Ebay for the princely sum of £8.30, including postage from the States! :D

43_1_b.JPG

Social source share

Thoroughly recommend all Deon's material, but my absolute fave is 'When Your Love Is Gone' his most underrated tune!

Simply beautiful and been a regular spin of mine for years at Soul Essence.

Sean Hampsey

Spot on Sean!! What a cracking tune and one of my all time favourites. Used to plug it myself and always had people coming up to see what it was.

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

Deon lives in the suburbs of Chicago. I was spinning records at a bar and a pretty square looking young man asked me if I had any Deon Jackson. turns out this dude is Deon Jackson's son. I took his info cuz we were gonna try and get Deon in on the radio show I was doing at the time, but after a couple phone calls it just fizzled out. apparently Deon had a booze problem so he stays out of the bar. He was doing some piano man type gigs around town but had to give it up on the count of the tempting devil alcohol.

Social source share

Deon lives in the suburbs of Chicago. I was spinning records at a bar and a pretty square looking young man asked me if I had any Deon Jackson. turns out this dude is Deon Jackson's son. I took his info cuz we were gonna try and get Deon in on the radio show I was doing at the time, but after a couple phone calls it just fizzled out. apparently Deon had a booze problem so he stays out of the bar. He was doing some piano man type gigs around town but had to give it up on the count of the tempting devil alcohol.

Thanks for the update.

Sad. Great talent. Would love to see him straighten out and get back to gigging. The curse of the demon drink strikes again eh?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest soul stormers

Thanks for the update.

Sad. Great talent. Would love to see him straighten out and get back to gigging. The curse of the demon drink strikes again eh?

Regards,

Dave

hi all

just found this one, dont no if ever come out on a 45

Deon_Jackson___I_m_Telling_You.mp3

Social source share

Good to see the interest in Deon - his stuff is fantastic.... :yes:

I've got an LP called "His Greatest Recordings" with loads of nice stuff including the following

"Hard To Get A Thing Called Love"

"Still Remember The Feeling"

"When The Love Is Gone"

"The Reason Why"

All unreleased and on the Smoke label circa 1984!

Wonder why the interest in his work at that date - i.e mid 80's :yes:

Anyone else got this one ? its terrific..... :D

Social source share

Good to see the interest in Deon - his stuff is fantastic.... :yes:

I've got an LP called "His Greatest Recordings" with loads of nice stuff including the following

"When The Love Is Gone"

"The Reason Why"

Wonder why the interest in his work at that date - i.e mid 80's :yes:

Anyone else got this one ? its terrific..... :D

Hi Ian,

Yes, great album, however, the sleevenotes are incorrect in that Carla 2533 "Hard To Get a Thing Called Love" B/W "When Your love Is Gone" did gain a 45 release.

Nice stuff though all on one LP

:D

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

"When The Love Is Gone"

"The Reason Why"

Wonder why the interest in his work at that date - i.e mid 80's wink.gif

Anyone else got this one ? its terrific..... whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert