Top Tips For 2014

Notations, great record Chalky, and worthy of your opinion, this, however, no chance of a venue outing is my favourite, been looking for ages but its tough and maybe out of my price bracket, think a lot of Sweet Soulers who haven't heard it will love it,  therefore a hit IMHO

The Whole Truth-Can you lose-EFE

Kev

Great piece of soul music Kev.  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Not unknown of course but if I was jocking at certain events such as Just Soul, Majestic, Horse & Groom etc I'd be bashing the shit outta this

Clarence Reid - Living Together Is Keepin' Us Apart

Bigger dance floor smash than the Monster Mash   :D

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Not unknown of course but if I was jocking at certain events such as Just Soul, Majestic, Horse & Groom etc I'd be bashing the shit outta this

Clarence Reid - Living Together Is Tearing Us Apart

Great version Dave, new to me, the Lew Kirton driven Invitations version on SBR is also worth checking out

Kev

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Great version Dave, new to me, the Lew Kirton driven Invitations version on SBR is also worth checking out

Kev

Thanks Kev, wasn't aware of it and thought I'd heard all the Silver Blue sides ... there's always summat new mate, a bottomless pit of soul

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Probably been played to death anyhoo I only got it at the end of last year (nov) and imo superb double sider will be playing in 2014 a lot :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdxQIVAWCS8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4rEQQLmi4Xk

Nice pick Kieran

From the pens of Bobby Womack and Jerry Butler. Got a version of this by Al Perkins which I think is the first one - I could be wrong. Mr Deep Dave T will put me right if I am. :D

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK, as it's Sunday and if we're going back to church, here's a couple I've played that may not be widely known and as they are both pretty uptempo, I reckon could still gain wider acceptance.

Play loud!

Sean

Love that Messiahs of Glory track Sean  :thumbsup:  top tunage sir!  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Nice pick Kieran

From the pens of Bobby Womack and Jerry Butler. Got a version of this by Al Perkins which I think is the first one - I could be wrong. Mr Deep Dave T will put me right if I am. :D

Peter

Not certain mate but Jerry Butler did "Yes, My Goodness Yes" on his "The Soul Goes On" album (Mercury 1968) and I suspect that may be the first, but like I say not certain.

Al Perkins sister Velma Perkins (aka Vee Allen) also put it out on Twinight

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Probably well known but I'm going to post it anyway - super, super soul music from that brilliant Hi label from Memphis.

Quiet Elegance - I'm Afraid of Losing You

Peter

https://youtu.be/89e5k3TSGZ8

Wonderful record from a wonderful group mate.

F**k the dancefloor, if I could go into a place and prop the bar up listening to stuff like this all night I'd be very happy bloke ... probably end up pissed as well   :D

Social source share

Wonderful record from a wonderful group mate.

F**k the dancefloor, if I could go into a place and prop the bar up listening to stuff like this all night I'd be very happy bloke ... probably end up pissed as well   :D

Stunning group aren't they Dave.

We ought to try and get a session sorted later in the year mate. I'd like that.

:shades:

Peter

Social source share

Great call, dont forget the fabulous flipside...also a great story how label owner my old mate Atze Knauf from Frankfurt got to know the singer while enjoying the sun at one US east coast beach and Paul Craver came along singing this song...

https://youtu.be/IiKmKRm0XVY

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Don,t think this is that well known, wouldn't surprise me though if it had some success somewhere, FJ Jones-Gone and found another-PS

Kev

Hi Kev, nic one. Me and my fellow resident at the Hip City, Franz, do both have this in our playboxes. Some three releases later. Sounds fantastic played out :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Kev, nic one. Me and my fellow resident at the Hip City, Franz, do both have this in our playboxes. Some three releases later. Sounds fantastic played out :)

New to me Marc, fantastic, the horns are marvellous, lovely mid-tempo cross over, thanks for posting

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's a 'proper' Soul record in my book.

You may like this spin of mine from a few years back.

Only vinyl format is Japanese.

The master, Otis Clay.

Sean

Soul indeed Sean, thanks. PM from me on the way to Dave in Japan I think :thumbsup:  :D ....But there is "PLENTY to look forward to" this year I think! :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Last one form me today. Love to play this early doors or late (last spot). I just love the way Carl Holmes aka Sherlock Holmes (of "Standing At A Standstill" ) imitates Marvin Gayes "Whats Going On" towards the end.

Have had this on W/D CRS for over 30 years Marc. Would be nice to hear that played out!

BTW, How about that other thing we have in common? Are you tipping that one? :wink:

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Clarence Reid - Living Together Is Keepin' Us Apart

Nice one Dave. Same track as the Invitations. Used to play 'Please Stay Home' off this LP.

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice pick Kieran

Peter

Hi Peter, Al Perkins 'Yes My Goodness Yes' actually came out twice by Al Perkins, originally on ATCO then later with strings overlayed on BUDDAH.

Has an amazing pedigree with Womack, Butler and Hughes at the helm!

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Have had this on W/D CRS for over 30 years Marc. Would be nice to hear that played out!

BTW, How about that other thing we have in common? Are you tipping that one? :wink:

Cheers,

Sean

jump on over for the next Hip City in March and I guarantee you WILL hear it played it out loud. On a side note...white CRS demo ...lovely ! 

you mean our "Rimini" situation...? No, LOL

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice version - one to look out for . German only b side ?

Yes Andy.

Its on the 'Maybe' Roulette LP which is what I used to play it from 30 odd years ago, Bradford Queens Hall etc. But then I later came across the German Bellaphon 45. With the interest in the unreleased Motown versions, which turned up a few years ago, I feel this certainly has legs, in a storming 'old school' Northern stylee!

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

jump on over for the next Hip City in March and I guarantee you WILL hear it played it out loud. On a side note...white CRS demo ...lovely ! 

you mean our "Rimini" situation...? No, LOL

Yes Marc, talking the fabulous uptempo c/u you played at Rimini that I blurted out the artist to you... as I've had that for about 35 years too!

Say no more :shhh:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I just mentioned that above Mike.

To be honest, I've always felt the Buddah 45 was the same vocal take as the ATCO 45, with a changed backing track and strings overlayed, rather than a seperate recording.

Sean

I realised that Sean, and had attempted to blank out my post before anyone noticed.   That will teach me to try and dip my toes into the strange world of Rare Soul talk !!! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm with you on that Mike. They are a strange lot if this thread's owt to go by! :D

OK Folks, any more for any more?

Gonna do a consolidated list later tonight and then wrap it up!

Always believed that as a Soul DJ and Soul lover the biggest part is to share, spread and promote the music.

Thanks for all the positive contributions so far.

Quite possibly the most varied list we've had in the past 7 years.

If you've been turned on to just one new track that someone has kndly taken the time to post on here, it's been worth it!

Cheers,

Sean

Well done Sean.

Plenty added to my list and a few over night impulse purchases! :D

Cheers buddy.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXZtPaVXFo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtjXZtPaVXFo

Probably had a lot of plays but bought this a couple of months ago one of those feel good retro tunes still fairly cheap

Great choice Mark, have championed Lucinda since release and a popular Waterfront play- as with many on this thread just needs one of the big mainstream djs to get behind and regularly play for wider exposure Edited by andybellwood
Social source share