Holland-Dozier Holland: The Complete 45S Collection - Box Set

Blimey. That is a killer price. No wonder it went No.1 on 3 of their charts. To be able to get the ENTIRE 7" catalogue of Invictus/Hot Wax and Music Merchant plus all the unreleased stuff and the Moulton mixes for under £50 is the bargain of the century. And I'd say that even if I wasn't involved!

I think Amazon use some algorithms which tell 'em what's going to work over the long term and the moment a release is looking good it kicks in a lower price automatically. This release is selling incredibly right across the board - export sales have also been exceptional.

All good. It couldn't happen to a more deserving release and I'm over the moon for HDH!

Ian D :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Hope I get my refund.... :wicked:

Received my HDH on Friday....looks great ....well put together.

As I always loved HDH's album on Dionne Warwick "Just being myself", which always sounded like an Invictus project, I was interested to read that the tracks were originally intended for Eloise Laws....and given away to DW.

In fact DW has stated that she hated working with HDH and hates the album (recording to pre recorded tracks didn't suit her.............also applies to Carla Thomas who hated Don Davis (RIP) for that same reason.)

Seems pre recorded tracks was a Detroit thing.

Social source share

This is just an incredible collection. I have just finished listening to the whole thing from start to finish. It's taken a couple of days and I am about to start all over again. There is so much I didn't know and the quality is really, consistently high. I really like the classy packaging and the informative booklet. I can't believe you can get this kind of quality for this price!

Big, Big Congratulations and Thanks to Ian, Dean and everyone else involved. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: 

What's next chaps - not sure how you could top this?

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

About 9 years ago I had the pleasure of meting up with Gwen Owens in LA. While we were out and about she said I have to nip into work for a few minuets would you like to meet my boss, why not we said. What a shock it was only Eddie Holland.  What a true gentleman, he gave us about an hour and half of his time at the drop of a hat. His walls were covered in gold & platinum discs from his early Motown days up to (what was) present day. On my return I sent him a cd with daydreamer on as he couldn't remember it 

post-9619-0-69520000-1404240745.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Gave this a plug on radio Friday.,…..it really is a very nice box set.

Cheers Steve. We really do try and get these as right as possible under present day conditions. We've had a bit of stick because we couldn't always get hold of the original mono tapes, so in some cases we had to edit down a stereo or album version which is a pain but what else can you do?

Master retreival and access are the biggest problems for me these days. All eras too. It's amazing how many masters are destroyed, unusable or have been dumped forever.

But I'm happy with the HDH box set. Invaluable as a quick reference tool so always handy to have on the shelves!

Ian D :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

LOL, Aretha Franklin's people just contacted the office asking for a copy of the HDH Box set 'cos Aretha read David Nathan's review and wants to hear it! 

Ian D  :D

I am happy to deliver it, I would even buy one to give to her if you arrange the meet! Would be nice to say how much one of my heroes means to me when they are still alive!

Okay I have now just bought it, should sit nicely with my Wilson Picket box set finally bought and about 8 Kent CD's just waiting on the holiday to listen them to.

It really is a great time for retrospective music output!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

As I always loved HDH's album on Dionne Warwick "Just being myself", which always sounded like an Invictus project, I was interested to read that the tracks were originally intended for Eloise Laws....and given away to DW.

There is an acetate by Eloise Laws doing ""I Think You Need Love""

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I am happy to deliver it, I would even buy one to give to her if you arrange the meet! Would be nice to say how much one of my heroes means to me when they are still alive!

Okay I have now just bought it, should sit nicely with my Wilson Picket box set finally bought and about 8 Kent CD's just waiting on the holiday to listen them to.

It really is a great time for retrospective music output!

OK Jocko. Good thinking! You book the flights and we'll go together and get it on film! I'll supply the box set. How does that sound?

Social source share

There is an acetate by Eloise Laws doing ""I Think You Need Love""

Cheers Paul

I know Dionne Warwick hated the album, and the project/ HDH. Probably because she was asked to sing to backing tracks.....not the Bacharach way at all

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Demon have just announced this delayed until November but with no confirmed release date!  

It's the vinyl manufacturing plants that are causing the problem. They're all full-up! The deadlines are extending every day at the moment, so what was a 4 week turnaround is now becoming a 10 week turnaround. It's very frustrating! 

I'll post up details of this special 10 x 7" box set shortly!

Social source share

And to demonstrate the current problems that vinyl manufacturers and record companies are having, here's an article from today's Independent......

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/manufacturers-are-struggling-to-keep-up-with-the-resurgence-in-vinyl-records-9695409.html?origin=internalSearch

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Has this post-30456-0-93386900-1409664688_thumb.jbeen released yet..........where can I get it

8th December release date.  Available from Juno Records (link in post 77).

Also Amazon.......https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holland-Dozier-Rare-Vinyl-VINYL/dp/B00N86M7M2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414571430&sr=8-1&keywords=holland+dozier+holland+45s

Edited by Steve S 60
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!