Album Track Carvers

Greety

2O singles for a dj?... but what if you get 3 punters ask you for requests and you say "not brought em', only got 20".... the looks you'd get!

I reckon a dj should have at least a hundred tunes at hand. Oh, and would a sound man be on the minimum wage? :)

Requests ?

What's that all about Neil ?

You need to get one of them T,shirts that say " I'm a DJ ,not a f##kin Juke box "! :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Roger Banks and Rob Smith have been lugging their merchandise around every weekend since the Roman times,

they sweat & toil & grimace and still have the same enthusiasm.... good on em'

That's right - instead of lugging a heavy LP box around, do what Rob does and use an Asda carrier bag

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Must be weird seeing everyone else dancing and you sitting down all upset because it's not being played off an album.

Nah i don't get upset Pete.But if you want to talk about Weird whats weirder than paying a few hundred quid to get bootleg carvers done from Albums you already own at home but are not strong enough to carry the box out to play .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nah i don't get upset Pete.But if you want to talk about Weird whats weirder than paying a few hundred quid to get bootleg carvers done from Albums you already own at home but are not strong enough to carry the box out to play .

I don't think it's weird at all, just think it's common sense, get all the records in one box don't have to worry about an extra bag with some lp's in...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most LPs only have one track - so it's common sense to get a double sided carver cut of 2 tracks, if you are likely to play quite a few album only tracks in your sets.

Sometimes you can't adjust the volume on a system without screwing the entire sound up for the evening - most DJs aren't Sound Technicians, and really shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of the master volume - so again, a carver cut louder than an LP is also sensible (although in my experience carvers/modern acetates aren't as loud as a 45)

Social source share

Requests ?

What's that all about Neil ?

You need to get one of them T,shirts that say " I'm a DJ ,not a f##kin Juke box "! :)

Stop picking on me :( :( :( It is the honourable thing to do to play a request if you have it, afterall, they pay your wage. :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I quite admire 12" Willie (West) He does the occasional dj spot with..... LP's only, he did excellent at Radcliffe a while back,

to have the patience to cue in every track and not cock up at all was some achievement.

It's just aswell Willie doesn't get involved on here, he'd be raging

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I quite admire 12" Willie (West) He does the occasional dj spot with..... LP's only, he did excellent at Radcliffe a while back,

to have the patience to cue in every track and not cock up at all was some achievement.

neil have you been watching  those carry on films again  :wicked:

Social source share

Most LPs only have one track - so it's common sense to get a double sided carver cut of 2 tracks, if you are likely to play quite a few album only tracks in your sets.

Sometimes you can't adjust the volume on a system without screwing the entire sound up for the evening - most DJs aren't Sound Technicians, and really shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of the master volume - so again, a carver cut louder than an LP is also sensible (although in my experience carvers/modern acetates aren't as loud as a 45)

I resemble that remark!...............as soon as I step up to the decks My S.F.D. kicks in, Ive suffered from it for years.............................................................Sausage Finger Disease.  :boxing:

Social source share

Well If you cant use the equipment properly you shouldn't be djing then- cos any numptie can put a record on!

Social source share

My mate Tubbs on here did a double with me at a Charity event a few months ago and played nothing but lp tracks and he did fine!

The skill of a Dj is not just to source the records but to be able to use the equipment reasonably competently. If you cant use the sliders/gain /master volume etc then you really shouldn't be on the decks! Your just a collector who wants his 60 mins of fame!

Social source share

My mate Tubbs on here did a double with me at a Charity event a few months ago and played nothing but lp tracks and he did fine!

The skill of a Dj is not just to source the records but to be able to use the equipment reasonably competently. If you cant use the sliders/gain /master volume etc then you really shouldn't be on the decks! Your just a collector who wants his 60 mins of fame!

But Ernie, maybe 70% maybe more, are useless under the car bonnet, should all those drivers be off the road? :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No but you are legally required to maintain certain parts of the car as well as drive! - Sorry your anecdote did not work!

Come on Ernie, we can't all be a technical wizard, most of us are mere novices, not the Pete Tongues of the scene :)

Social source share

Im not saying that but you should have the skill of the basics I quoted not just to move the slider across and back as well as cue in! and lastly move the volume accordingly! So if an lp has a lo-fi sound then you know you have to increase the volume - Having it transferred to a carver(At a Higher fidelity) as was originally suggested because of lp lo-fi tracks- That in my opinion is either because the presenter is either lazy or incompetent at using the equipment!

I have asset of decks in my house where I play lp tracks and make a comment on the internal sleeve as to volume shift or even speed shift - Its called a craft as is one of the tools of being a good dj besides having the skill to put a good set together! If you cant do it then wear" L plates" or a T-shirt with DJ under instruction! :D

Social source share

Im not saying that but you should have the skill of the basics I quoted not just to move the slider across and back as well as cue in! and lastly move the volume accordingly! So if an lp has a lo-fi sound then you know you have to increase the volume - Having it transferred to a carver(At a Higher fidelity) as was originally suggested because of lp lo-fi tracks- That in my opinion is either because the presenter is either lazy or incompetent at using the equipment!

I have asset of decks in my house where I play lp tracks and make a comment on the internal sleeve as to volume shift or even speed shift - Its called a craft as is one of the tools of being a good dj besides having the skill to put a good set together! If you cant do it then wear" L plates" or a T-shirt with DJ under instruction! :D

What a load of b*llocks.   Cue a record in, put the fader in the right place and then adjust volume to suit, that's all people want unless you're from Mixmag or something.  It's not the world DJ championships from Ibiza, it's some pokey back room in a Miners Welfare Hall.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Having it transferred to a carver(At a Higher fidelity) as was originally suggested because of lp lo-fi tracks...

I can see what you're getting at, but to be precise you can't record from vinyl with 'higher fidelity'. Fidelity is a term used to refer to how faithful a copy is to the original source ie how much a record sounds like the original recording. You can re EQ the recording, by boosting base frequencies and/or enhancing the volume before having a carver or acetate cut to make it sound more aesthetically pleasing, but unless you have the master tapes to a badly pressed LP or 45 and really know what you're doing, you're certainly not producing a more accurate copy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Do any SS members out there know of someone who can transfer album tracks on to 7" acetates for me.

Reason being I'm getting fed up with dragging albums all over the place for dj'ing and also giving certain tracks off a particular album, undue wear and tear.

Some idea of price and sound quality would be helpful. And a contact phone number please.

If you want to be discreet, it might be best to pm me.

Thanks

Dave

Probably time to lock this thread as the above has been more than answered. Far too many  Ex-Spurts chirping in now with their fonts of knowledge, there`s a limited amount of room in ones brain for so much information to sink in.

:wave:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Probably time to lock this thread as the above has been more than answered. Far too many  Ex-Spurts chirping in now with their fonts of knowledge, there`s only so much room in ones brain for so much information to sink in.

Why not just stop reading if you're getting lost..

Social source share

I thought about getting some done to be honest. The main reason relates to the higher audio level you can get with the wider grooves of a 45 compared to a narrow grooved lp track. The wider the grooves, the louder the record which is why 12" singles sound so good. Now the reason I nearly got some done was because some of the equipment that you have to use when DJing is very poor and doesn't have the necessary b*llocks in the amp power, so when you turn up your narrow grooved lp track to give it the necessary volume boost to match the level of the previous 45 you've played, you get an almighty howl or hum of feedback coming from the speakers. So you then have to start dipping the bass down and messing around to try and get the thing to stop feeding back. If you've got a good sound system with a good powerful amp this won't happen as there's always some juice in the amp to cope with turning it up for your lp tracks.

Jordi

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Probably time to lock this thread as the above has been more than answered. Far too many  Ex-Spurts chirping in now with their fonts of knowledge, there`s a limited amount of room in ones brain for so much information to sink in.

Steve L.... the new moderator.... hi Steve :thumbup:

Social source share

I can see what you're getting at, but to be precise you can't record from vinyl with 'higher fidelity'. Fidelity is a term used to refer to how faithful a copy is to the original source ie how much a record sounds like the original recording. You can re EQ the recording, by boosting base frequencies and/or enhancing the volume before having a carver or acetate cut to make it sound more aesthetically pleasing, but unless you have the master tapes to a badly pressed LP or 45 and really know what you're doing, you're certainly not producing a more accurate copy.

yes godz I wasn't being precise. its about volume etc

Social source share

What a load of b*llocks.   Cue a record in, put the fader in the right place and then adjust volume to suit, that's all people want unless you're from Mixmag or something.  It's not the world DJ championships from Ibiza, it's some pokey back room in a Miners Welfare Hall.

Im not saying much more than you Pete - The person wanting a carver wants it to be same volume generally as other 45s so he doesn't have to touch volume/treble or Bass/Gain etc - Sheer laziness in my view. p.s. You've not been going out much these days if all you remember is Miners Welfare. Theres some really nice venues these days!

As I said I tend to make comments on my lp inserts as to what might be required ( I commnet eg Low volume track)  Bit of extra bass or volume etc but I do tend to listen to the kit being used. I heard kits being used when the sound is crap because no-one can be arsed or skilled to move the buttons around to try to find a good quality output and that's without asking what the cartridges are! Britaania hotel Wigan last year for the Mecca revival was absolutely amazing sound and I watched Colin Pete Andy etc use the kit skilfully to get that sound. Anyhow just my ageing opinion! Maybe the youngsters coming through might suggest DJing is a bit more skilful these days in soul music!

Social source share

Im not saying much more than you Pete - The person wanting a carver wants it to be same volume generally as other 45s so he doesn't have to touch volume/treble or Bass/Gain etc - Sheer laziness in my view. p.s. You've not been going out much these days if all you remember is Miners Welfare. Theres some really nice venues these days!

As I said I tend to make comments on my lp inserts as to what might be required ( I commnet eg Low volume track)  Bit of extra bass or volume etc but I do tend to listen to the kit being used. I heard kits being used when the sound is crap because no-one can be arsed or skilled to move the buttons around to try to find a good quality output and that's without asking what the cartridges are! Britaania hotel Wigan last year for the Mecca revival was absolutely amazing sound and I watched Colin Pete Andy etc use the kit skilfully to get that sound. Anyhow just my ageing opinion! Maybe the youngsters coming through might suggest DJing is a bit more skilful these days in soul music!

But does it need to be, thats my point

Social source share

The production on most Northern 45 mono tracks is similar, i'd say most dj's just get on with what the set-up lads set,

a happy medium in other words. Sometimes when you dj you are unaware of whats coming out the speakers cos' they

face away but a punter will often point this out to you

Social source share

Greety thats fine mate if your not bothered and happy with it but i wouldnt be happy paying to hear them.The fact that you can prove you have the original LP is the same as saying its ok to play a carver of a 45 because i have the original at home.Whats the difference apart from the size of the disc. The only carver i think is ok is an unissued track.I know lots disagree these days but some respect for the Scene and the Punters has to be preserved in my opinion,which is more important that the weight of the box.Don't want to come accross the wrong way as the odd legit reissue at the right venue doesn't bother me too much but i hate to see a guy using carvers

I'm 100% for ovo but dont agree with you. The problem with lps, in our style of music, isn't that they're heavy, it's that there just isnt enough that anyone's playing to justify taking an lp box out. Taking 2, or 3, lps out is actually a right pain in the arse - you cant use an lp box, so you put them in a bag, they're likely to get bent, the sleeves creased etc. It means taking a whole other bag, which still wont protect them. If you played 20 lp tracks in a set, it'd actually be less of a problem.

I'm a right stickler, but I'd be happy fir folks to play lp tracks off carvers. Like the man says : I'll know that they've actually got the lp.

the volume issue is right too; mostly you cant get much more out of systems set up with 12"s, 45s or cds, not enough to boost an lp track anyway, not in our average venue. The only time I would forego ovo, is for better sounding music, which isnt to say I'd appreciate someone playing a boot cos their original was crackly!

A carver might well be the only way to play an lp track so it sounds good out.

its not the same as a carver of a 45 you might or might not have, cos there'd be no reasonable explanation for doing that.

]

Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry, but that's just a lame excuse. If you want to play LP and stick to OVO you have to play them from the original not from a carver. There are small LP boxes available. Sturdy ones for about 10 LPs. Not too heavy to carry around.

Edit: when I was dj'ing I used this one here. Good for up to 25 LPs/12":

https://www.bestellung.musictools.de/koffer-cases/lp-koffer-fuer-25-lps.html

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Sorry, but that's just a lame excuse. If you want to play LP and stick to OVO you have to play them from the original not from a carver. There are small LP boxes available. Sturdy ones for about 10 LPs. Not too heavy to carry around.

Edit: when I was dj'ing I used this one here. Good for up to 25 LPs/12":

https://www.bestellung.musictools.de/koffer-cases/lp-koffer-fuer-25-lps.html

You've left one of your Human League records in it, Benji :lol:

Social source share

2O singles for a dj?... but what if you get 3 punters ask you for requests and you say "not brought em', only got 20".... the looks you'd get!

I reckon a dj should have at least a hundred tunes at hand. Oh, and would a sound man be on the minimum wage? :)

That`s the whole point of taking a 50-100 45 box to cover ya set for requests/records already played etc. That way you can go light on lp`s . I always take at least 3 sets worth in case you get an extra hour or cover for another dj. Weekenders are a whole different ball game.That`s when i try and get a lift lol.

Sound man is on beer Tokens lol

Edited by Hammersoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!