Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Larry Semmins

News: Ortheia Barnes RIP

Rest in Peace Ortheia Barnes.

I first heard her track, I've Never Loved Nobody on Kent's Soul Class of 66 album. Years later I heard it played at Soul Revolution by Matt Male and it sounded fantastic played out loud. It's safe to say it's one of my favourite records and one which I don't intend parting with.

Edited by Supercorsa

Rest in Peace Ortheia Barnes.

I first heard her track, I've Never Loved Nobody on Kent's Soul Class of 66 album. Years later I heard it played at Soul Revolution by Matt Male and it sounded fantastic played out loud. It's safe to say it's one of my favourite records and one which I don't intend parting with.

Great memories of this track. In the mid-eighties after interviewing J.J. Barnes in Detroit I guested on Ortheia's radio show.  During the show she ask me for a quiz question, of the top of my head I took this album from my bag, played " I've Never Loved Nobody" and asked listeners to name the artist. Not surprisingly nobody got it right, but what floored me was that Ortheia and her producer Sylvia Moy didn't get it either. After the show we went to Sylvia Moy's house,  during the afternoon, Ortheia got an urgent phone call from Aretha Franklin, the Rolling Stones were  in town and would she come over to the studio to help out on backing vocals! That's stardom for you!  A giant of a lady in every sense.

Guest Johnny One Trout

Sad news indeed RIP Ortheia, you will be missed but your SOUL will endure...

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts