Bankhall Miners,burnley

Have some great memories of Bank Hall, the soul nights, nighters and dayers great times.

Also the 1st soul do Louise (my wife) went to, so very special to us, still together 23 years later. :D

P. S. Pat turned up at the Burnley Nighter a few months back, we had a good chat to catch up.

Hi mate...well then, it will be your silver wedding anniversary in a couple of years time...it has been said to me several times in the past that if I added up ALL MY wedding anniversaries I still wouldn't hit 25 :yes::D

I too have fond memories of Bank Hall Miners...especially the Boxing Day All Dayers...never missed one after my first one until the last one I don't think...sometimes we used to stay over at Karen Sweenies and get absolutely hammered...my Crimbos were never quite the same after they stopped...I've still got some tapes of the modern stuff somewhere...taped on some contraption...would it have been my portable cassette player or had we advanced to ghetto blasters by that era? I can't for the life of me remember now. I'm going back to at least the mid-8os I reckon...think it was ghetto blasters by then...and I've still got one now :lol: ...techy I am not :D ...mind you I do now have a dongle for my pc and I knew I'd have one one day, just was never sure what one was :D

Social source share

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest little_pat

Event run by Drew (the hat)Garlick and Bill Ball,ringing any bells Frank ?,still got a pic of you me and Jackie Green(Bicknell) with JJ Barnes at the Ritz

,very old thread i know but would that be bill ball from rochdale if so ,anyone still in touch wi bill pass me an e mail or let him know i am tryin to contact him :thumbup:

cheers little pat

Social source share

Fond memories of this place,great venue ,no music policy (if its good play it)Ran by Pat Allen.If you had a decent collection you could dj,Geoff BUCKLEY,FERGIE,MIKE KEMP,DAVE COMER,PETE THORPE,ADY HARLEY,WILLIE FROM TOD,CHRIS SHEPPARD,ME!,DEREK PEARSON,GEORGE SHARP AND SOME OF THE LESSER KNOWN DJ'S GINGER,DICKY MINT,DAVE WITHERS,REALLY APPRECIATIVE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE CROWD, BRILL ATMOSPHERE.IT ALWAYS SURPRISED ME ,THAT FOR A SMALL TOWN,IT HAD SUTCH A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HARDCORE NORTHERN FANS.ANY STORIES ,ANECDOTES,PICS(that means you pearson). oh and cheap beer. :thumbup: forgot to mention Barrie Wadd

the preston cybermen had many a good night at this place,we was always geared up to beat the daleks.

Social source share

,very old thread i know but would that be bill ball from rochdale if so ,anyone still in touch wi bill pass me an e mail or let him know i am tryin to contact him :ohmy:

cheers little pat

Yes its Bill from Rochdale,was still promoting events until recently.PM me for contact details

Social source share

Guest little_pat

the preston cybermen had many a good night at this place,we was always geared up to beat the daleks.

hi mate not sure if i done this right sent message not sure if you got it ...bring back the fire and blankets for the smoke signals lol

pat neary

Social source share

• 6 months later...
Guest bankhallman

How are you all,

Pat Allen here just reading through the threads of these old memories of a club I loved running and one that gave me immense satisfaction im glad that you cut your first teeth at Bankhall and you have great memories of that exceptional venue . I was fortunate as it was a transitional time and one that was alive with excitement and the overall atmosphere that northern was never going to end and bankhall just culminated all the inspirations and needs at the time.

I was purely the lucky one who had the priviledge to be involved with its running, It was a fortunate day when i first arrange to see the committee to arrange the first event there that was set for the august bank holiday in 1983 the first night was a great success with a good turn out and we had some very special people to spin the sounds, i remember someone coming up to me on the night and saying casually to me looks like this place could take off pat the rest is history did it take off(heh he he).

The two room policy was i think necessary as at the time the modern soul crossover was taking hold in a big and exciting way and i have always tried to be liberal in my attitude towards all soul music as we all love that stuff so lets incorporate everybodies taste and then we can all enjoy a great time at a popular venue well at least that was my true desire to achieve. so i contacted martin arthur ands richard with a view to establishing the modern room and looking back in my opinion that was the best thing i did and i have to thank Martin, Richard and Arthur fenn for the magnificent job they did making this one of the best modern rooms in the north of england.

THE ALLDAYERS were very special to me and i thoroughly enjoyed the events because boxing day was always an anti climax to christmas and usually abhorently boring so having an alldayer was an absolute must and lucky for all us these helped get through the festive seasons back then with some good music played by incredibly knowledgeble deejay collectors , the club ran from 1983 to nov 1992 and then we had to close the night as the club people had become very greedy and wd could'nt sustain such large increases in hiring charges remember the soul nights there were never more than a couple of quid to enter and about 3 or 4 quid for the alldayers that was one of my aims to give great sounds and not rip punters off.

well there you have it in a nutshell and thanks for your comment by the way yes i did enjoy spinning the sounds myself even with my meagre collection im currently starting up another night soon and hopefully this will do ok so once again many thanks and glad you have those happy memories regards

Pat Allen

The place where I cut my real northern soul teeth after a few years with the baby ones..

I remember walking in to this wall of sound and then stood there transfixed for an hour.... I think I fell in love with it then and was there as often as possible until I graduated to the All Nighters. A brilliant introduction to northern soul, every track was new to me, even the ones I had on compilations that i played on an old dancette..

I think it was also the only soul do I've ever been to that ended in a beer fight when one of my mates who'd been drinking thought it would be funny to cover me in lager. How we didn't get thrown out I'll never know, many thanks Chalkie for that biggrin.gif

After a while I stopped going as I was usually travelling by public transport to an all nighter, maybe Stafford? It seemed to have been an instituion in the area and I was surprised to find out it had been finished some time when I was looking for a soul do one weekend fairly recently as i thought it would always be there.

You could say I enjoyed it.

Thanks Pat Allen.

Social source share

I have many fond memories B H,I remember Pat bringing Lew Kirton over to see me and my Missus It was Dionnes 21st birthday must have been the early 90's,Lew was telling us that Pat wanted him to sing heaven in the afternoon,he told us he couldn't recall the song even after listening to it in his dressing room,I'm sure he sung the song over the record.

Very enjoyable times,It was a great shame when it came to an end.

Paul.

Social source share

Guest toaster

Great venue ace music .I worked in France at the time and used to only get to to the boxing day do,s.Remember Steve Plumb &co in the back room suited up,me and the chaps in the front room doing hard times in wrecked Levi,s and Bass Weejun loafers.Tune for me,from the back room was,Me and you and love,Milt Mathews.Regards Tim.

Social source share

Hi,

Me and ex wife used to go to the Boxing Day all dayers and the Easter Monday all dayers. We were mostly in the modern room with our friends Arthur Fenn and his then wife Elaine. We went there the first time as we had heard the Arthur was playing. We used to drive up from Derby on Christmas day and stay with family then drive over the hills from Oldham ( usually in ice or sometimes snow) on Boxing Day. WE took butties, mince pies etc as we were there all day from the doors opening. Used to get ther for the start and dance all day and night. Soul Sam and Arthur were good mates then and both liked modern at the time...they used to play some absolute crackers and kind of do a double act. Wife and me would also go into the northern room and dance to old favourites as a change from the modern tuff. Christmas was never really the same again after the all dayers stopped. Was at Elaine Fenn's 50th earlier this year and wonderded where the time had gone so fast since the Burnley Days. Great times sadly missed.

Phil( Now in Somerset).

Social source share

Fond memories of this place,great venue ,no music policy (if its good play it)Ran by Pat Allen.If you had a decent collection you could dj,Geoff BUCKLEY,FERGIE,MIKE KEMP,DAVE COMER,PETE THORPE,ADY HARLEY,WILLIE FROM TOD,CHRIS SHEPPARD,ME!,DEREK PEARSON,GEORGE SHARP AND SOME OF THE LESSER KNOWN DJ'S GINGER,DICKY MINT,DAVE WITHERS,REALLY APPRECIATIVE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE CROWD, BRILL ATMOSPHERE.IT ALWAYS SURPRISED ME ,THAT FOR A SMALL TOWN,IT HAD SUTCH A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HARDCORE NORTHERN FANS.ANY STORIES ,ANECDOTES,PICS(that means you pearson). oh and cheap beer. biggrin.gif forgot to mention Barrie Wadd

Yes, Pat did a marvellous job, us lads from the North East were regulars, like you say great venue with no pressure on the DJ,s which consequently lead to some great nights, the all-dayers were brill aswell.

Kev

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

would love to see these videos - any chance of buying copy's off you?

cheers, derek

PM or email me please D.Pearson@bradford.ac.uk

hey up Mister Raith nice to see you at Burnley last month

Hello Derek,

Its been a long long time since i have seen you and hope you are ok are you still editing the soul mag,its amazing to see how many of the old gang still exist on the scene

as for myself well ive had a stint in the land of the leprechauns, Back here in Burnley now and decided to put together another club event although this is only on a smaller scale than

the halcyon days of Bankhall Miners.

Im wanting to try something with a twist to it ie play all the really forgotten sounds that because of their neglect haven't had air time in years plus they are not currently costing the earth to buy so have been relegated to the vauxhall division shame because theres still great dancers and exciting music there to be enjoyed again anyway ive got the cricket club here in town and hopefully we can give the lads a great night of soul sounds. its at the rear of turf moor and ive got some of the old gang on again steve rfay geoff buckley paul harris .

theres an open invite to all potential up and coming djays and the lads from the old clubs to do spots ive no quibble over who should have the chance to djay to me its if you want a chance then get yourself there and show what you can do. well Derek hope all is good with you and maybe we'll see you at a future date regards and best wishes

Pat Allen

Social source share

Hi Pat,

Good luck with the Cricket Club Mate. You may well need it. Last time I was there when Phil K ran it there were more DJs than punters. Have you tried upstairs at Co-Cos? Just a thought. Town Centre location, modern facilities, in house quality speaker system.

Think the Cricket Club may have had it's day Mate. Christ....Moses was Ginger and Eddie's first guest there! :thumbup:

Good luck with it though. I'll drop in when I'm in town to catch the Mighty Clarets campaign en route to the European Cup Final!

Take Care....

Social source share

would love to see these videos - any chance of buying copy's off you?

cheers, derek

PM or email me please D.Pearson@bradford.ac.uk

hey up Mister Raith nice to see you at Burnley last month

Hi there,

I was the guy pat sent the videos to, have them now on vhs I did let j manship borrow them with some of the oddfellows in leics back in the early 80s he may have copied a few ?best

andy.

used to love the "shades of soul " mag

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I have many fond memories B H,I remember Pat bringing Lew Kirton over to see me and my Missus It was Dionnes 21st birthday must have been the early 90's,Lew was telling us that Pat wanted him to sing heaven in the afternoon,he told us he couldn't recall the song even after listening to it in his dressing room,I'm sure he sung the song over the record.

Very enjoyable times,It was a great shame when it came to an end.

Paul.

whistling.gifg.gif ...............................seems someone does read my old postings on EMS, but glad you could recall the evening.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hi,

Me and ex wife used to go to the Boxing Day all dayers and the Easter Monday all dayers. We were mostly in the modern room with our friends Arthur Fenn and his then wife Elaine. We went there the first time as we had heard the Arthur was playing. We used to drive up from Derby on Christmas day and stay with family then drive over the hills from Oldham ( usually in ice or sometimes snow) on Boxing Day. WE took butties, mince pies etc as we were there all day from the doors opening. Used to get ther for the start and dance all day and night. Soul Sam and Arthur were good mates then and both liked modern at the time...they used to play some absolute crackers and kind of do a double act. Wife and me would also go into the northern room and dance to old favourites as a change from the modern tuff. Christmas was never really the same again after the all dayers stopped. Was at Elaine Fenn's 50th earlier this year and wonderded where the time had gone so fast since the Burnley Days. Great times sadly missed.

Phil( Now in Somerset).

Hi Phil, nice to read the above,

You must of rubbed shoulders with Adey from Derby, Graeme Ellis, Gary Welsh, Pete Shirley and Mick and Mary Godfrey.................... back then laugh.gif . Always remember Graeme Ellis reactivating Little Dooley - "Now Or Never" and Lou Rawls - "See You" on Boxing Day 1986 int' mozzern ruum. Like you say Phil great times, but back them wasn't Kev Kelly and Graeme Ellis also a double act.........laugh.gif .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Maybe Pat would be able to recall how many niters ran at BHM - I can only recall 2 or even 3.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Hi there folks ,

have great memories of the bankhall miners toothumbup.gif have to agree with most previous comments ..went to every boxing day one plus the easter mondays ..also very fond memories of mr pat allen lived on dall st off parliment street..great bloke and quite witty when really pushed laugh.gif always remember our kev buying me a ticket to see the awesome mr jr walker ..i had only been out of hossy a couple of days and couldnt really walk but made the effort only to get there and be told he wouldn`t entertain us cause the money was`nt enough wanker.gif also remember concorde as our dave ran it for a few years thumbup.gif circ was great and the kestral suite was pretty awesome thumbup.gif went to the allnighter back in may was a bit rare for me but had a great night and catch up with pplgood.gif some one asked about mick moore ? well what can i say still a soulie at heart but not on the scene personal responsibilities and all that .....see gaz taylor at prestatyn every year ...thanx for listening to my drabble whistling.gif all is left to say is must have been some of the best soul nights the scene has seen in good old BURNLEY ...........GREAT PPL GREAT MUSIC AND LOTS AND LOTS OF SOUL.....and phil keep the kestral suite going mate ...good reviews on all forums that i frequent .well thats my twopennieth imput hope i have`nt bored you too muchsleep3.gif

regards

julie moore

Social source share

Guest souloman

Fond memories of this place,great venue ,no music policy (if its good play it)Ran by Pat Allen.If you had a decent collection you could dj,Geoff BUCKLEY,FERGIE,MIKE KEMP,DAVE COMER,PETE THORPE,ADY HARLEY,WILLIE FROM TOD,CHRIS SHEPPARD,ME!,DEREK PEARSON,GEORGE SHARP AND SOME OF THE LESSER KNOWN DJ'S GINGER,DICKY MINT,DAVE WITHERS,REALLY APPRECIATIVE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE CROWD, BRILL ATMOSPHERE.IT ALWAYS SURPRISED ME ,THAT FOR A SMALL TOWN,IT HAD SUTCH A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HARDCORE NORTHERN FANS.ANY STORIES ,ANECDOTES,PICS(that means you pearson). oh and cheap beer. biggrin.gif forgot to mention Barrie Wadd

yeah, i remember bank hall miners, always had a good night there. a few of us from rochdale used to jib over now and again, myself, roffer, tinny, mal and one or two from halifax, linda and her mate from burnley, karen i think it was. KTF.

Social source share

Guest souloman

,very old thread i know but would that be bill ball from rochdale if so ,anyone still in touch wi bill pass me an e mail or let him know i am tryin to contact him unsure.gif

cheers little pat

hi pat, i live quite near bill, my son is a mate of his son. i havent seen him for a few years but if you look up bill ball roofing thats him.take care, tony, KTF

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest bankhallman

Derek,if you manage to get a copy ,let me know ,wouldnt mind one meself,Upwards, Salmon

Derek,

Pat Allen here ive a dvd of some small part of the old Bankhall Miners days and you're very welcome to do a copy anytime by the way do give us a bell sometime 07754 136 277 and we should be able to do that for you nice to see you're still in touch with the scene.

Regards Pat Allen

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

soulsalmon - yes, I remember Rochdale Tiffs. Can't remember the jocks tho at's me all over, half right :-) ... or half wrong :-(

Hello Mate,

Pat here and having a good old giggle to your dilemna with the day of the week listen bud it doesnt matter as we had a tremendous time when you came to the miners and i always will be grateful to you for all the help you gave me via your column. Frank they were halcyon days and i was a very priviliged fella to have been involved with the fantastic venue.

However how the hell are you lad do you still go to the gigs I have been in Ireland for a long time and recently back still as mad as always on the soul scene then fortunately its indemic in me and cant do anything to quieten my ardour.

well mate hope you are fine and doing good do mail me if you have the time in the meantime take it easy and stay focust regards PAT ALLEN

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

I think I'd have it as my favourite mid-week night of all.

Still think back to those days with a lot of pleasure.

Hello Mate,

Pat here ive mailed you but ive a feeling that its gone on another mail post anyway its good to see you're still around and hopefully healthy halcyon days hey we had a blast mate and thanks to you and you're scripts in the mag we always had a phenomenal good responce, im here in Burnley back from a long old time there still crazy on the soul scene and the music but thats indemic in me thankgod my number is 07754 136 277 and you can always mail me.

Take care lad good to know you're ok stay focust regards Pat Allen

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

The place where I cut my real northern soul teeth after a few years with the baby ones..

I remember walking in to this wall of sound and then stood there transfixed for an hour.... I think I fell in love with it then and was there as often as possible until I graduated to the All Nighters. A brilliant introduction to northern soul, every track was new to me, even the ones I had on compilations that i played on an old dancette..

I think it was also the only soul do I've ever been to that ended in a beer fight when one of my mates who'd been drinking thought it would be funny to cover me in lager. How we didn't get thrown out I'll never know, many thanks Chalkie for that biggrin.gif

After a while I stopped going as I was usually travelling by public transport to an all nighter, maybe Stafford? It seemed to have been an instituion in the area and I was surprised to find out it had been finished some time when I was looking for a soul do one weekend fairly recently as i thought it would always be there.

You could say I enjoyed it.

Thanks Pat Allen.

Hello lad,

It was good to read your recollections of your visits to the old club i had the privilige to run back in the halcyon days of soul sanity,

and especially gratified to see that Bankhall had that satisfying and lasting effect on your good taste in music. It was a geat era and it was lads like yourself and many many

others that made that the institution you so rightly thought it was although i prefer to consider it as haven of my personal soul music education as i was always astounded at

what these lads could teach me, some of the jocks and they know who they are had such a profound effect on my charactor and musical taste that i owe them a great deal of gratitude.

Seems sometimes that these are forgotten assetts but to me they will always have my complete respect and admiration for their absolute dedication to the scene and to the music

however it is good to hear from you and should you ever be up here id be glad to have you visit. i hope that Bankhall Miners will stay as a firm favourite of yours and thanks again

for your support then and now my best regards Pat Allen (Bankhall Miners Burnley)

Social source share

Yes i was there a few times in the mid 80s with Bob Monkhouse from Huddersfiels,whats become of that bloke..I have some photos some place,just like i have for Warrington and many other places blush.gif ,will have to sort them all out one day and scan them onto here,would be good to see who knows who...Bank hall was a big deal for us going into red rose land,we called it going over the top laugh.gif ...Happy days indeed...

Bob Still lives in Huddersfield actually Dalton he hasnt been to a soul venue for quite a while but will be in the near future

Fred ward

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

Hi Pat,

Good luck with the Cricket Club Mate. You may well need it. Last time I was there when Phil K ran it there were more DJs than punters. Have you tried upstairs at Co-Cos? Just a thought. Town Centre location, modern facilities, in house quality speaker system.

personell

Think the Cricket Club may have had it's day Mate. Christ....Moses was Ginger and Eddie's first guest there! laugh.gif

Good luck with it though. I'll drop in when I'm in town to catch the Mighty Clarets campaign en route to the European Cup Final!

Take Care....

Dave,

Im just re reading your threads on the proposed use of the cricket club at Burnley, and yes i know that its had a varied history of attempts at the scene but

whilst there is a history there we should also allow for the fact that there can and will be a future there too.Thanks for the suggestion about KO KO's and i suppose that really

i ought to look at it but it just goes agin all that i was brought up on the music wasnt played in fancy venues in the past and to me thats where im at i imagine that you're correct

in assessing that somewhere like that club is probably a choice that some people would prefer as the scene now has its affluent personnel who want that alas however id be pushed

to justify my use of that venue. Its great to hear from you again really hope your ok. do please come to any of the events that i may be fortunate to run and i hope to hear from you again regards and best wishes Pat

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bankhallman

Maybe Pat would be able to recall how many niters ran at BHM - I can only recall 2 or even 3.

HIYA NICK well i recall 5 allnighters at BHM but these were nearly curtailed by a few idiots local so called MODS who tried to crash the events and we had the FEDS on the door silly people luckily though we had a very liberal minded Chief Inspector at Burnley HQ and he saw through the yobs and how we policed the event and didnt object to the nighters reason for ending them was hiring charges they were unbelievable and that was sad as the events were gathering momentum and a great reputation alas thats the way it goes people view success and want their pounds of flesh anyway thanks for your support your one of the chosen regards and best wishes Pat

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

HIYA NICK well i recall 5 allnighters at BHM but these were nearly curtailed by a few idiots local so called MODS who tried to crash the events and we had the FEDS on the door silly people luckily though we had a very liberal minded Chief Inspector at Burnley HQ and he saw through the yobs and how we policed the event and didnt object to the nighters reason for ending them was hiring charges they were unbelievable and that was sad as the events were gathering momentum and a great reputation alas thats the way it goes people view success and want their pounds of flesh anyway thanks for your support your one of the chosen regards and best wishes Pat

Pat,you need a eary doors dj ?

ATB Salmon

Social source share

Hi Pat

Last time I was down the BHM was when me and our Dave did the last alldayer there. I think you'd gone back to Ireland by then. It was an OK day but I got the impression that some people didn't turn up out of loyalty to you (which I can sort of understand). ...and it pissed down all day.

I was also there the night Jr Walker was due to play. I came up from London with a bunch of friends. Shame that night, it had so much going for it then so much lost!

I've got great memoties of BHM. I remember arguing like a gud 'un with Tim Brown about how he wouldn't lend me a few records to listen to when he had suitcases full of them. Fighting with George Sharp cos he wouldn't do me a deal with £2.00 off £35 worth of records. Trying to get Pat Brady into a vodka session (just for fun).Great days.

I was talking to Arthur Fenn about how I used to spend lots of time in the Modern room and asked him if it was always empty (the music was fantastic). I'd never seen more than 5 people in there. He said they'd had some chocker do's in there. maybe I missed the more popular sessions somehow. Always loved that modern room with Sam, Arthur and Pete Haigh.

All the best for the future.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hello Pat, I maybe a little wayward with me' memory, but of the 5 nites "not" all featured the back room (modern room).

wink.gif Nick.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bankhallman

Great to read all of the above comments, The Miners hosted many cracking nites, nighters and of course the Boxing Day all dayers, this was the only place to be on Boxing Day, after visiting that other institution "Turf Moor".

Great soul folks in Burnley - who remembers the Thompson Centre Nighter (S). laugh.gif .

Thanks.

Yes I remember the Thompson centre Nick as me and Ivor Allen ran it and it was a real good venue thanks for your query Pat Allen

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ScooterNik

Hello lad,

It was good to read your recollections of your visits to the old club i had the privilige to run back in the halcyon days of soul sanity,

and especially gratified to see that Bankhall had that satisfying and lasting effect on your good taste in music. It was a geat era and it was lads like yourself and many many

others that made that the institution you so rightly thought it was although i prefer to consider it as haven of my personal soul music education as i was always astounded at

what these lads could teach me, some of the jocks and they know who they are had such a profound effect on my charactor and musical taste that i owe them a great deal of gratitude.

Seems sometimes that these are forgotten assetts but to me they will always have my complete respect and admiration for their absolute dedication to the scene and to the music

however it is good to hear from you and should you ever be up here id be glad to have you visit. i hope that Bankhall Miners will stay as a firm favourite of yours and thanks again

for your support then and now my best regards Pat Allen (Bankhall Miners Burnley)

Thanks for the reply Pat, I really did enjoy those days. A few of us used to travel over from Clitheroe on a regular basis, think there was me, Grim and a lad called Brian who was a few years older than us. Damned if I can remember his last name though, but do remember he lent me a load of records over a period of time and guided my introduction the soul scene.

Also thanks for calling me 'lad'. Especially as you made that post on my 45th birthday...

Thanks again.

Nik

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

a lad called Brian who was a few years older than us. Damned if I can remember his last name though, but do remember he lent me a load of records over a period of time and guided my introduction the soul scene.

Thanks again.

Nik

Brian Waterhouse.................ring any bells - Nik.

Social source share

Guest colin brown

Used to go to the Bank Hall Miners Club when there was 2 Rooms.Soul Sam and Arthur Fenn were the main Djs I used to like then-top Tunes.Never heard anything like it in London.Always worth the travelling.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Used to go to the Bank Hall Miners Club when there was 2 Rooms.Soul Sam and Arthur Fenn were the main Djs I used to like then-top Tunes.Never heard anything like it in London.Always worth the travelling.thumbsup.gif

You're right Colin. I couldn't believe the quality of the tunes they played in the Modern Room. Nearest I've got to it recently was when Dave Thorley did the Aston Villa Football Club event. Bloody fantastic night that.

Kev

Social source share

Guest colin brown

You're right Colin. I couldn't believe the quality of the tunes they played in the Modern Room. Nearest I've got to it recently was when Dave Thorley did the Aston Villa Football Club event. Bloody fantastic night that.

Kev

Heard it was good one.Will Dave be having anymore there,Kev?

PS Sorry about the Hesitations-at Prestatyn-better times in October.wink.gif

Social source share

Heard it was good one.Will Dave be having anymore there,Kev?

PS Sorry about the Hesitations-at Prestatyn-better times in October.wink.gif

No worries Colin-I would have liked to have been there for the end of The Hesitations set but really enjoyed doing the radio show. There is an old thread about Aston Villa FC night. It was about 4yrs ago. Everyone who attended really experienced a great night but Dave needed a lot more numbers to break even. Shame as it could have really taken off imo. Quality night throughout.

Best

Kev

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

No worries Colin-I would have liked to have been there for the end of The Hesitations set but really enjoyed doing the radio show. There is an old thread about Aston Villa FC night. It was about 4yrs ago. Everyone who attended really experienced a great night but Dave needed a lot more numbers to break even. Shame as it could have really taken off imo. Quality night throughout.

Best

Kev

I went a couple of times to Burnley.

one all dayer seem to remember i went with a mate who drove me up from Manchester.

He was not well halfway through the dayer,and said he wanted to leave early.

I was enjoying it so much, i said you go and i will catch the last bus back to Manchester.

Well you can guess what happened.

I missed the last bus and had to sleep in the bus station all night.

I am not sure what time of year it was but i remember it was freezing.

Too cold and uncomfortable to sleep,and ihad to go into work in the morning.

I was Knackered.

But looking back it was all worth it,cause it was a fantastic venue.

Stu

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest bankhallman

Hiya Julie,

You make me smile when I read your comments and thats good hope you're ok love? listen give my regards to anyone you're in contact with and may remember me ???????????????

take care best regards lol Pat (Burnley)

Hi there folks ,

have great memories of the bankhall miners too:thumbup: have to agree with most previous comments ..went to every boxing day one plus the easter mondays ..also very fond memories of mr pat allen lived on dall st off parliment street..great bloke and quite witty when really pushed :laugh: always remember our kev buying me a ticket to see the awesome mr jr walker ..i had only been out of hossy a couple of days and couldnt really walk but made the effort only to get there and be told he wouldn`t entertain us cause the money was`nt enough :wanker: also remember concorde as our dave ran it for a few years :thumbup: circ was great and the kestral suite was pretty awesome :thumbup: went to the allnighter back in may was a bit rare for me but had a great night and catch up with ppl:good: some one asked about mick moore ? well what can i say still a soulie at heart but not on the scene personal responsibilities and all that .....see gaz taylor at prestatyn every year ...thanx for listening to my drabble whistling all is left to say is must have been some of the best soul nights the scene has seen in good old BURNLEY ...........GREAT PPL GREAT MUSIC AND LOTS AND LOTS OF SOUL.....and phil keep the kestral suite going mate ...good reviews on all forums that i frequent .well thats my twopennieth imput hope i have`nt bored you too much:sleep3:

regards

julie moore

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest bankhallman

Hi l,

Great to see the old pics of BHM in the early days, we had some excellent events there and I know lots of you have good memories of the place which is a credit to the club as anyone could expect. myself well I have my own memories and mostly they coincide with the general consensus, it was an extrodinary venue and many big names these days cut their milk teeth there and that alone is a joy to me as that was part and parcel of the policy of the club.

The other thing that I'm proud of is the fact that we established one of the best Modern Soul Rooms of the time, and still command great comments from people who attended the events. The Main Room was the focal point and we played a lot of stuff there thats was I'm sure ahead of its time, But forgive me I digress the point of this post was to try and help a talented up and coming young guy that should be doing big events here in uk but he's living in Ireland and somewhat restricted to the small but growing scene over there.

H'es a very good friend of mine and immensly enthusiastic and loves the scene we ran a club together in Cork City, which was a brilliant success but too small.I'm introducing Phil Hope, and I can and do recommend him to any adventurous promoter (if there are any left) or some one who wants to widen their outlook on the scene he has a very competent collection and ive watched him collect for the last 4/5 years so i know he would enhance any venue in the north here and be a popular jock.

And as most people know I'm not a person who throws out recommendations like that willy nilly so if you want a potential up and coming youngish star of the future you can contact me at this site or you can contact Phil directly here's his address details=== "Phil Hope" groovywoovy@hotmail.com and you wont be dissapointed as this lads going to be a force to deal with so a window of opportunity for a promoter to set the standards for the scene in the future.well you guys you are now aware of this guy so come on you lads running all the events do something to make your mark on the scene get him on Cheers to you all and good luck. Regards Pat Allen (Burnley)

Pat & Steve Ray Pat & Frank Elson & a full dance floor Bankhall Miners early 80's

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

Hi Nick,

Well you're only a lad to me, and im sure I remember the crew from Clitheroe, we all had great nights there and you were one of the lucky ones to have been there. as far as it being your 45th birthday its a long time ago since my 45th so you are a lad (he he ha ) remember i was a mod in the sixties and thoroughly enjoyed it Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're ever in the area do call take care \\\\\\\\\\\regards Pat Allen

Thanks for the reply Pat, I really did enjoy those days. A few of us used to travel over from Clitheroe on a regular basis, think there was me, Grim and a lad called Brian who was a few years older than us. Damned if I can remember his last name though, but do remember he lent me a load of records over a period of time and guided my introduction the soul scene.

Also thanks for calling me 'lad'. Especially as you made that post on my 45th birthday...

Thanks again.

Nik

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Thats the lad! Not seen him in years though...

I am in touch with Brian & his brother Fred.

You will see them both at the Clitheroe Grand Sunday soul sessions ..last Sunday of the month 3 through 8 pm

David

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Bob Monkhouse

Bob Still lives in Huddersfield actually Dalton he hasnt been to a soul venue for quite a while but will be in the near future

Fred ward

Don't know whether this will come up or not but yes, I'm still around though me and Sue have only just started going out again to Bar11 in Halifax- which is a day event, next one sunday 28th November2010 1pm onwards. We don't really do evening Northern do's as I had a severe head injury in1999 and I'm knacked all the time. Still in love with our music(and each other) though. If anyone wants to get in touch with us then I'm on Facebook or contact me at bobmonkhouse50@hotmail.com. Still Keeping The Faith, Bob and Sue Monkhouse.

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

I have to say that I'm eternally grateful to Cliff and stuart for inviting me to visit the kestrel suite allnighter it was excelent, even though I had not long been off the flight from Ireland to Manchester and tired I thoroughly enjoyed the event.Fred Kroll, did an amazing spot full of class and dancers,he;s very underated and if I manage to organise another event here in Burnley he will definitely feature.also cliff and stuart were outstanding in their choice of sounds they played, I was thoroughly pleased at the reaction from old friends and people who were introduced to me excellent and I was amazed at the comments I got from people who I didnt know saying such good things about the old venue of Bankhall Miners.

and meeting Salmon again Barry Wadd, Steve Green and mate all the way up from Gloucester thats dedication, well done lads and Steve we had a great time in the states and we were very lucky finding all the sounds we found. it was great to see all the old faces there again Dave Ferguson Brad, and many more,the only sad thing was that i had to leave so early around 5 am as I had to fly back again at 9 am the same day and try and get some rest very upsetting for me as I was enjoying great musics and magic people so to say MANY , MANY, THANKS TO THE BOYS and to all the friends and people that I met and to the jocks taste and quality will always have the magical effect for an excellent event Well Done all.

My Best regards to you all Pat Allen

Yes, great night at the Kestrel Suite. Pat with Cliff Camfield and Stu Bennett.

post-1903-1216280031_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bankhallman

Dear Nick,

I, remember it acutely as myself and Ivor Allen put it together reat place sadly no longer due to the useless and conceited Labour Council that was in power and completely ruined the towns venue facilities. Moronic the lot of them I thoroughly enjoyed them and the crowds couldnt get enough. yes Nick it was a great venue and one very sadly missed. however that hasnt deterred me whatsoever I'm searching the area for another place and "Itll Come Good" you wait and see. we will have another well aced venue where you can get great music and not pay the earth to get in and with quality Jocks and uys who are exciting and adventurous yet keeping their heads and playing music the punters want.

Thats my ambition and goal and I'll do it you wait and see. thanks for your great enthusiastic comments Pat Allen.

Great to read all of the above comments, The Miners hosted many cracking nites, nighters and of course the Boxing Day all dayers, this was the only place to be on Boxing Day, after visiting that other institution "Turf Moor".

Great soul folks in Burnley - who remembers the Thompson Centre Nighter (S). :lol: .

Thanks.

Social source share

Guest DaveSwift

Hi Pat

Thanks for orgainising a great venue. Loved the music in Modern room for alldayers.

The place typified what we want in a venue: no stupid palm trees, simple but sufficient seating, good dancefloor,reasonable bar (timothy taylor's would have been nice but guiness would suffice) and quality music.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bankhallman

Hiya Dave,

Its great to read your threads on what you thought of the Miners Club, and it was my pleasure to be able to give the crowds what they wanted.you are right in your description of the place and facilities but thats a real venue we dont want fancy arsed decor or pseudo sophisticated furniture we want a place with heart and a great atmosphere and good dancefloor with a good supply of ale at reasonable prices.thats whats missing today but I'm ever looking for another place that will kindle an old love and have another good "Real Northern/Modern Soul Venue".

And it will happen lad you wait and see I will find the panaseer and have exciting events on again. in the meantime keep in touch and great to hear from you. Pat

Hi Pat

Thanks for orgainising a great venue. Loved the music in Modern room for alldayers.

The place typified what we want in a venue: no stupid palm trees, simple but sufficient seating, good dancefloor,reasonable bar (timothy taylor's would have been nice but guiness would suffice) and quality music.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert