Bobby Garrett. I can't get away

Tezcaine

20 hours ago, tezcaine said:

Hi just bought Bobby Garrett I can't get away. On original mirwood,all looks right styrene -I think and stamps in dead wax. But recording is quiet ,any input appreciated. Atb tez

Hi Tez

Iv'e got the Purple label issue on styrene & its loud as hell

Also found an old thread from 2007 may help you

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Added old thread that may help the original auther
Social source share

I got caught decades ago with this, looks OK but it's a boot, they copied the matrix details as best they could...well, 3am at a dark niter, how was I to know...:-)

"counterfeited as a blue stock copy using very flexible VINYL (you can do a Rolf Harris impression with it) and copying DELTA # 59636 and lots of other very unconvincing squiggles and numbers etc. "

Social source share

On 29 septembre 2016 at 23:08, tezcaine said:

Hi just bought Bobby Garrett I can't get away. On original mirwood,all looks right styrene -I think and stamps in dead wax. But recording is quiet ,any input appreciated. Atb tez

Can you provide us with a good scan or picture of that copy you're talking about ?

Social source share

On 9/30/2016 at 22:08, Jerry Hipkiss said:

I got caught decades ago with this, looks OK but it's a boot, they copied the matrix details as best they could...well, 3am at a dark niter, how was I to know...:-)

"counterfeited as a blue stock copy using very flexible VINYL (you can do a Rolf Harris impression with it) and copying DELTA # 59636 and lots of other very unconvincing squiggles and numbers etc. "

In the mid 1970s there was a whole gaggle of these made & sold, I can't remember the name of the shop, I think it was in Leighton Buzzard, anyway they made/sold Richard Temple, Jimmy Conwell, Bobby Garrett and others. At the time it was very difficult to tell from originals, I have been sold many by people who swear they're originals based on the fact it had been in their collection since the 1970s :pirate:  If it's styrene you're OK, pity about the sound quality.

Social source share

All originals Styrene , all counterfeits thin flexible Vinyl , both promos and stock.

Original ... "hold the 65-1037 @ 6'o'clock , @ 4'o' clock is a faint empty "ring" of an MR stamp.

Boot ...."hold 65-1037-A at 6'o' clock ... follow deadwax anti-clockwise to the matrix reads jT "vocal" Ci (no dot)  an encircled 8 then delta #59636.

The Ci is an attempt to replicate the faint empty MR stamp on the originals.

Details courtesy of Mr Manships 5th edition.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks, have the book but it is still unclear.....it has a feint empty 'incomplete' ring, the bit that is the i (no dot) is quite rounded, not like an i.....as if a segment of the circle is missing ( or feint)  The encircled 8 is more like a P or a R with a continuous line making the circle.....

Have asked a few people, who give me contradicting opinions and a difficult one to judge. Bought from a reputable source as an original but I have my doubts. 

Once again, apologies, but how do you tell the difference between styrene and vinyl? Any simple guidelines?

Thanks if anyone can assist.....

Social source share

1 hour ago, Fishdockroad said:

Isn't styrene a 'reddy' colour when held up to the light as opposed to vinyl being black?

Nope. Styrene is light, stiff and always has a 90° outer edge where vinyl is heavier, souple and has most of the time a round or sharper outer edge. Some pressing plants in the 8T's made some vinyl 45's with a straight 90° outer edge though...

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi ,ended up getting a refund from seller, genuine mistake I think ,it was vinyl ,more flexible than my other mirwood tracks,label looked stuck on,rather than molded on.so I thought it was styrene. If the sound quality had been a bit louder,I would never have questioned it. A shame,brilliant record.  Atb tez

Social source share

Reading this has made me question my copy of ICGA, bought in eighties from Tim A, fiver I think (it was a gift) pretty sure it's gonna be one of those boots! To be frank it's one of my most prized possessions, boot or no, have no care or idea about the originality/value, I can't tell, it's pretty loud though! These days I don't play it now having got it on Kent.

Best of luck acquiring a genuine ICGA, joint top of my list with The Belles 'Don't pretend'. When folks ask me what NS is I play those two sides, if they don't like them then they don't 'get' Northern soul imo, plus there is something wrong with their ears!

Talking about Bob Garrett/Relf here:

Social source share

On 02/10/2016 at 15:04, Fishdockroad said:

Isn't styrene a 'reddy' colour when held up to the light as opposed to vinyl being black?

Styrene sounds tinny if you flick it with a fingernail. Greater probability of sound distortion with styrene, especially on the higher notes and particularly on well played copies. Probably lighter. Can sometimes see the join in the material when cooled in the press. A poor substitute for vinyl but if you want an original record, you may only get one on styrene so you're stuck with the inferior medium. Mirwood boots sadly all too common as LA was boosters paradise back in the early days.

Social source share

1 hour ago, ljblanken said:

As you bought it from Mike and Michelle there's no doubt in my mind that it's an original

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!