Played Out Oldies

Drew3

Followed many of the debates on here with great interest and clearly what is one person's 'played out oldlie' is not so for another.

What is also clear is that what is being played in one area might be a 'poo' (sorry :D ) elsewhere.

So, what are the present 'played out oldies' for you?

Mine would be (and not to say they arn't great records):

Better Use Your Dead - Little Anthony & The Imperials.

You Don't Love Me - Epitome of Sound.

One of these two seems to be played each time I go out! unsure.gif

Not looking to start any sort of debate just interested to see if what is new to me etc.is someone else's poo? thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• Replies 279
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Followed many of the debates on here with great interest and clearly what is one person's 'played out oldlie' is not so for another.

What is also clear is that what is being played in one area might be a 'poo' (sorry :D ) elsewhere.

So, what are the present 'played out oldies' for you?

Mine would be (and not to say they arn't great records):

Better Use Your Dead - Little Anthony & The Imperials.

You Don't Love Me - Epitome of Sound.

One of these two seems to be played each time I go out! unsure.gif

Not looking to start any sort of debate just interested to see if what is new to me etc.is someone else's poo? thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Hi Drew, tunes for home consumption IMO.ATB STeve

Social source share

HI Drew

As a promoter of the Fez an Oldies Only Venue my answer to this question is

If you put a record on the decks thats new!!! out of ten would get up and dance?

But if you put say a burnt out oldie on such as Frank Wilson Do I love, no matter what venue you are at out of ten would get up. I can only say there are 1000's of oldies records that are still played at the Fez there are four dj's on you might get a record played twice but not often so thats 100+ in one night some say same old same old songs but we like them and the floor proves that but if a venue or promoter are turning to cross the board policy then you would hear less of the oldies and more of the modern but i would not knock them because they are pleasing the other soulies

but burnt out oldies never i cut my first teeth on them

but Drew good question

dendog

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

HI Drew

As a promoter of the Fez an Oldies Only Venue my answer to this question is

If you put a record on the decks thats new!!! out of ten would get up and dance?

But if you put say a burnt out oldie on such as Frank Wilson Do I love, no matter what venue you are at out of ten would get up. I can only say there are 1000's of oldies records that are still played at the Fez there are four dj's on you might get a record played twice but not often so thats 100+ in one night some say same old same old songs but we like them and the floor proves that but if a venue or promoter are turning to cross the board policy then you would hear less of the oldies and more of the modern but i would not knock them because they are pleasing the other soulies

but burnt out oldies never i cut my first teeth on them

but Drew good question

dendog

"'A'cross the board policy then you would hear less of the oldies and more of the modern"

Just as a matter of interest what would constitute a 'modern' record to you? As I have had many discussions with people regarding what they would say is a modern record when in fact its as old as the hills but has not been heard by them before and has a slightly different sound to it!

There is in fact far too much elitism and sectarianism in my opinion in the scene. If you are going to try and give a name to a section of the scene such as 'modern' then I think there needs to be some clarification as to what is actually meant. I have my opinion of what 'modern' means and I know that I would not hear that at our night but we would say that we play Across the board. A comment such as that highlighted just serves to create a greater sense of division.

Social source share

This has always puzzled me, who decides what is or isn't a played out oldie? huh.gif

And why is it, that in some cases the played out oldies still go for quite large sums of money? huh.gif

thats a good one ask any dj to sell there oldies because they dont play them any more watch ther faces

dendog

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

"'A'cross the board policy then you would hear less of the oldies and more of the modern"

Just as a matter of interest what would constitute a 'modern' record to you? As I have had many discussions with people regarding what they would say is a modern record when in fact its as old as the hills but has not been heard by them before and has a slightly different sound to it!

There is in fact far too much elitism and sectarianism in my opinion in the scene. If you are going to try and give a name to a section of the scene such as 'modern' then I think there needs to be some clarification as to what is actually meant. I have my opinion of what 'modern' means and I know that I would not hear that at our night but we would say that we play Across the board. A comment such as that highlighted just serves to create a greater sense of division.

Modern, crossover, you tell me ?? but in my youth you would not get

Pressure or Party Time Man, Third Window & so on even though they are good tunes

elitism and sectarianism

donnt let us get teco

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

The Epitome Of Sound must have been played at more or less every venue since it was first discovered in 73. And rightly so! There are probably only 3 or 4 better Northern records ever made. So no wonder people want to hear it and dance to it. I don't play my records very often byut when I do, I always play that...and Little Anthony...and maybe 30 or 40 more, but it'll always be the same ones I keep going back to because asically - they are the best records!

Social source share

Modern, crossover, you tell me ?? but in my youth you would not get

Pressure or Party Time Man, Third Window & so on even though they are good tunes

elitism and sectarianism

donnt let us get teco

I think you were the one who mentioned 'modern' so the onus is really on you I think to clarify what you mean. Sorry don't quite understand the term 'TECO' either. Is that some type of 'Oldie' I've yet to have the pleasure of hearing??If we guess that your 'youth' was mid 1960's to mid 70's then do mid to late 70's tunes constitute modern to you? Anything that wasn't heard by you in your youth is modern then?

Just really trying to see what is behind all this oldies and modern talk. Even though I think the whole subject has been done to death on here.

Social source share

I had hoped to avoid such a discussion, but I suppose it was inevitable. :D

What I was looking for from the post was records to be named.

Purpose is to simply see what the choices would be.

I'm discovering 'new to me' sounds all the time and it would be interesting to see if any of them fit the bill as someone else's 'played out' record?

Easier to ask what yours are as opposed to me trying to list, as there are so many 'new to me' records that are 'old' sounds to someone else, if you see what I mean?

Go on. Name your 'played out oldies' for me.

It's all part of my education! :lol:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

The actual definition is: "shit records that don't sound like 60's soul"

What are you trying to say Pete ?

did you miss the 70`s and 80`s in your quest for quality black soul music from the 60`s era

:lol::D:D

Social source share

Drew I am removing 20 records from my own collection box, I haven't got many, maybe 100 or so of my favourites, 10 are played out oldies, 10 are not played out oldies, I wonder if people will think the same way..

bear in mind this isn't actually a playlist, they are just some my favourite records

BOBBY REED - I'LL FIND A WAY

INNOCENT BYSTANDERS - FRANTIC ESCAPE

DEL ROYALS - MAN OF VALUE

STER PHONICS - DON'T LEAVE ME

EMANUEL LASKEY - LUCKY TO BE LOVED

HONEY BEES - NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS

PATTI AUSTIN - HE'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

MONIQUE - IF YOU LOVE ME

LANDY - DOCTOR GOOD SOUL

LITTLE ANN - WHEN HE'S NOT AROUND (WHAT SHOULD I DO)

JJ BARNES - PLEASE LET ME IN

RICHARD TEMPLE - THAT BEATIN RHYTHM

NATURAL FOUR - I THOUGHT YOU WERE MINE

FRANKIE CROCKER - TON OF DYNAMITE

JOANIE SOMERS - DON'T PITY ME

VOLCANOS - THE LAWS OF LOVE

YUM YUMS - GONNA BE A BIG THING

COASTERS - CRAZY BABY

DYNAMICS - I NEED YOUR LOVE

DETROIT EXECUTIVES - COOL OFF

mix them all together though and you have a half decent hour of listening

Social source share

The Epitome Of Sound must have been played at more or less every venue since it was first discovered in 73. And rightly so! There are probably only 3 or 4 better Northern records ever made. So no wonder people want to hear it and dance to it. I don't play my records very often byut when I do, I always play that...and Little Anthony...and maybe 30 or 40 more, but it'll always be the same ones I keep going back to because asically - they are the best records!

BUT Pete you play them at HOME.......ATB Steve

Social source share

What are you trying to say Pete ?

did you miss the 70`s and 80`s in your quest for quality black soul music from the 60`s era

:lol::D:D

I remain uninterested in the sound of the 70's and 80's my friend. Apart from a few.

Well thats because I don't dj Steve...where else am I supposed to play them?

Social source share

I think you were the one who mentioned 'modern' so the onus is really on you I think to clarify what you mean. Sorry don't quite understand the term 'TECO' either. Is that some type of 'Oldie' I've yet to have the pleasure of hearing??If we guess that your 'youth' was mid 1960's to mid 70's then do mid to late 70's tunes constitute modern to you? Anything that wasn't heard by you in your youth is modern then?

Just really trying to see what is behind all this oldies and modern talk. Even though I think the whole subject has been done to death on here.

sharon

my youth!!!! i loved it soul was here and we can say its to stay do you agree on that the beat is what its all about sharon

dendog

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

Drew I am removing 20 records from my own collection box, I haven't got many, maybe 100 or so of my favourites, 10 are played out oldies, 10 are not played out oldies, I wonder if people will think the same way..

bear in mind this isn't actually a playlist, they are just some my favourite records

MONIQUE - IF YOU LOVE ME

LANDY - DOCTOR GOOD SOUL

COASTERS - CRAZY BABY

Hi Pete ,BIG toe and all that :lol: THEY ARE DEFINATELY ...ALL OLDIES....ATB STEVE

Social source share

I mentioned on another topic on here recently that a favourite tune of mine is, Ruby Andrews - Just loving you, and someone kindly posted in no uncertain words that it was an overplayed piece of shite,

When i have played it out the floor reaction has always been superb and many have even requested it as they know i always carry it in my box,

If anyone has an overplayed box of oldies that they no longer want i have cash waiting for your scrap but only if they are in mint condition as you would never of played them and obviously cheap as they must be worthless.

:lol:

Social source share

If you were locked in a room for 2 hours with Kiss FM blasting out, then any of the above came on .. I for one would be doing f***ing flips & twists! :D

All good soul in the mix (ish). :lol:

It's the modern played out oldies .. That's the thing.. :secret:

Social source share

MONIQUE - IF YOU LOVE ME

LANDY - DOCTOR GOOD SOUL

COASTERS - CRAZY BABY

they are all Over played shite Pete. how much for all of them in a job lot :lol:

Bearsy :D

Social source share

Hi Pete ,BIG toe and all that :lol: THEY ARE DEFINATELY ...ALL OLDIES....ATB STEVE

Maybe they are oldies Steve but where are they played out reguarly enough for someone to have a legit moan that they're 'played out'?

I know Pete's list are oldies but the only one from it that I can say I've have heard out reasonably regular is the Emanuel Laskey.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

I had hoped to avoid such a discussion, but I suppose it was inevitable. :D

What I was looking for from the post was records to be named.

Purpose is to simply see what the choices would be.

I'm discovering 'new to me' sounds all the time and it would be interesting to see if any of them fit the bill as someone else's 'played out' record?

Easier to ask what yours are as opposed to me trying to list, as there are so many 'new to me' records that are 'old' sounds to someone else, if you see what I mean?

Go on. Name your 'played out oldies' for me.

It's all part of my education! :D

KTF.

Drew.

The list for me would include:

What

I ain't going nowhere

Talk of the grapevine

You didn't say a word

I've got to find me somebody

Time

Call me(??)

ANY Tommy Hunt stuff

My weakness is you

Wade in the water

Baby hit and run

+ others but its giving me a head ache to think about them :lol:

Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)

Social source share

they are all Over played shite Pete. how much for all of them in a job lot :lol:

Bearsy :D

You don't want to start buying pressings mate :lol:

What

I ain't going nowhere

Talk of the grapevine

You didn't say a word

Time

Call me(??)

ANY Tommy Hunt stuff

My weakness is you

Wade in the water

Baby hit and run

+ others but its giving me a head ache to think about them :D

You're spot on with that list...local youth club back in the 70's, now local soul club!

Social source share

You don't want to start buying pressings mate :D

You're spot on with that list...local youth club back in the 70's, now local soul club!

Pete now you know that is another subject altogether :D ,

BTW i love the Joannie Sommers :lol:

Social source share

I'm intrigued enough to ask Steve, you have a one hour spot 11pm at the infamous Right Track Club Peterborough, 300+ in, go on what would YOU play???

Social source share

This whole conversation is a red herring, a record only comes across as an oldie if the dj doesn't use his imagination & instinct.

Take Frank Wilson for instance, this will probably to your average punter sound fairly boring when played amongst a bunch of obvious records but played in amongst some more enlightening choices it will sound fresh & vibrant.

It's not the records that are played out oldies but infact the djs who don't use any imagination & the dancers who blank anything apart from the obvious, all IMHO of course.

Simon

Social source share

What

I ain't going nowhere

Talk of the grapevine

You didn't say a word

Time

Call me(??)

ANY Tommy Hunt stuff

My weakness is you

Wade in the water

Baby hit and run

play this little lot at any venue then watch the floor

Social source share

What

I ain't going nowhere

Talk of the grapevine

You didn't say a word

Time

Call me(??)

ANY Tommy Hunt stuff

My weakness is you

Wade in the water

Baby hit and run

From my trips out Bridget, on your list I'd count:

Baby Hit And Run

and of course; how could I not have said origionally, Do I love You, which is the ultimate 'poo'. :D

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

This whole conversation is a red herring, a record only comes across as an oldie if the dj doesn't use his imagination & instinct.

Take Frank Wilson for instance, this will probably to your average punter sound fairly boring when played amongst a bunch of obvious records but played in amongst some more enlightening choices it will sound fresh & vibrant.

Simon

Would it, not to me it wouldn't :D:lol::D

Social source share

Let me say something controversial here then, this works both ways, one of the reasons I've stopped going out round here is because it's usually the same people dj-ing at every venue. Now don't get me wrong, these guys are really good and they have brilliant records - but they do tend to play the same records most of the time. And here's the twist. These records often include records with an average price of £500 upwards. So while these records may not be played at all venues, they do seem to be played round here too much, so just because you pay tons of money for a record, does that mean it has to be played at every event?

Empty :yes::lol:

:D:D:lol:

Social source share

Let me say something controversial here then, this works both ways, one of the reasons I've stopped going out round here is because it's usually the same people dj-ing at every venue. Now don't get me wrong, these guys are really good and they have brilliant records - but they do tend to play the same records most of the time. And here's the twist. These records often include records with an average price of £500 upwards. So while these records may not be played at all venues, they do seem to be played round here too much, so just because you pay tons of money for a record, does that mean it has to be played at every event?

That also includes the quality of the £500 + tune too,

at least overplayed oldies are still being talked about and the reason maybe being is that they may not want to be heard when you go out but they are still liked very much by most.

great point of view that Pete. :lol:

Social source share

Exactly...wheres the imagination? :lol:

Ok I'll say my bit now the missus has said hers,,,

First if its in the groove that counts then there is no such thing as an oldie, modern tune , cross over or what, because all that counts is in the groove, secondly if its all that is in the groove, why do people run 'oldies nights' and advertise them as for 'soulies only' as if they are the only people who know what soul music is.

again there is no such thing as an oldie because just about everything we play is old and when we went to our youth clubs and early soul nights weren't we in fact listening to modern music????, well we didn't know what it was and we had never heard it before, so at best it had to be crossover.

No, oldies are to do with nostalgia and going out and listening to them again is a nostalgia trip. To be true to northern soul you have to remember what northern soul was about and that was discovering 'new music' rare and obscure records, the rarer the better. That remains for me the heart of northern soul. I love my oldies and I do like to hear them but going to some soul nights is like listening to the oldies radio stations.

We can keep the oldies (played out tunes) but we need to rediscover some of the excellent oldies never or hardly ever played whilst remaining true to the desire to discover new music.

Social source share

Tis a good point the money thing & a very easy trap to fall into, obviously if people have shelled out a large wedge for a tune they are gonna want to play it even if it's not appropriate to do it for that particular set/do but because you've laid out so much for it you feel compelled to play it.

If people could get over this money hurdle i think you'd start to hear a lot morre varied sets & different tunes being played.

Simon

Social source share

I love my oldies and I do like to hear them but going to some soul nights is like listening to the oldies radio stations.

I agree with this but it's not just the oldies some tunes that have gone big in the last 5 years have been hammered to death as though they were oldies, yer 'Deep dark secret', JW's 'Because of you' etc.

As i said before a serious lack of imagination from both the DJs & dancers alike.

Simon

Social source share

Here is some for the bonfire Nov 5th they will be well burnt out

Cottonmouth - Treat You Kindly

C B Overton - If I Can't Stop You

Mangetic Touch - Will You Stay With Me

Chapter Three - I'll Never Be The Same Again

font=Times]Driza-Bone - Rear Love

font=Times]Driza-Bone - Pressure

Benny troy - Stranger in Paradise

Paulette Reeves - Jazz freak

Any one of Sister Sledge I Have

AND SOME -----STAIT ON THE FIRE

dendog

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

Back to the original topic my 4 overplayed (but still great) records are:

Dana Valery - You don't know where your interest lies.

Johnny Caswell - You don't love me anymore

Eddie parker - I'm gone

Rita and the Tiara's - Gone with the wind

Social source share

dendog

I quite like that Pressure track and I think Thinking Of You by Sister Sledge is one of the best records ever made, but I'll give you some petrol to pour on the rest of them, despite me never having heard any of them :lol:

Social source share

dendog

Don't think I've heard any of these Dendog, let alone played out, which sort of proves the point of 'one man's played out....... is another man's' etc.etc.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

what about that sad sack record by T.J Williams -

& Pat & The Blenders - Just Because

can i put these on your fire please dendog

drew some digs me i dig them back

dendog

Can't think why you'd want to put Pat & the Blenders on the bonfire, for sure it's overplayed but brilliant nonetheleess!

Simon

Social source share

I'm intrigued enough to ask Steve, you have a one hour spot 11pm at the infamous Right Track Club Peterborough, 300+ in, go on what would YOU play???
sorry just had to answer this one, and no disrespect to any dj, promoters etc :lol:

right, got my cd box, bootlegs, vinyl carvers, reissues, etc plus my one and only original

- interplay on orange rca :D yes ready to go, need say no more :D but the 300+

crowd love it........theres your answer paul :lol:

russ

ps, before anyone asks its a joke regards interplay, original etc

Social source share

I know Pete's list are oldies but the only one from it that I can say I've have heard out reasonably regular is the Emanuel Laskey.

KTF.

Drew.

Lucky chap - what a great record :lol: Can't remember when I last heard it out - although it gets a regular play on my personal squawk box.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert