Guest rickthick

• Replies 72
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

That's worth jack-shit then and I should go to spec-savers.. or the Old People home.

Now here's the question who now owns the original 1966 press with the Wylie credit..??

Com'on someone must have it..

Sorry Pete you caught me pre-coffee

No, my mistake John, obviously someone switched the picture but it does now say Wylie :D I'll buy one of your new books as way of apology :D

Social source share

That's worth jack-shit then and I should go to spec-savers.. or the Old People home.

Now here's the question who now owns the original 1966 press with the Wylie credit..??

Com'on someone must have it..

Sorry Pete you caught me pre-coffee

Edited post-I really should go to spec savers ,I might be able to read all the posts before replying !

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Alan,

Peter should do a little homework before he throws around his witty comments.

As far as I'm aware, you perhaps own the ONLY copy of an original 1966 vinyl press with an orange label! Orange label crediting WYLIE with a different layout for the credits. First copy was found by Nancy Yahiro at Pasadena Record meet in 1998-ish before then it was not known to exist.

I sold it to Steve Foran, I think it was the same copy that eventually ended up with you. I personally have not had a copy, since.

Thanks for verifying that for me John, I thought it was the original and it's nice to know to full story behind it, hope the pm I sent is ok, if not get back to me.

Pete is does say Wylie and not Wylia if you look carefully.

Regards

Alan

Nancy pointed it out to me. I bought it for $15 and off the stallholder as Nancy passed on it, thinking it was a second press.

I think at auction with the correct description it would easily reach £750 and some.

Let's get away from scratchy, beat-up copies with worn labels selling @ £150. They sell at that price because 90% of serious collectors would rather spend £150 on a mint vinyl in the form of other titles, than own a record in less than Mint minus condition they've gotta replace. Most collectors have their own "Acceptable Condition Line" and don't drop below it. Peter "Condition is everything" and the ORANGE 1966 is by far and away the rarest format of an iconic disc.

And no doubt just like the Len Barry LP thread we'll have a flood of "My mate, his aunty and by Sisters boyfriend from Luxenburg had one and sold it for 17/6p"

Thanks for verifying that for me John, I thought it was the original and it's nice to know to full story behind it, hope the pm I sent is ok, if not get back to me.

Pete is does say Wylie and not Wylia if you look carefully.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I am sure John M had a WD for auction a few months ago that was a local copy. That is, not distributed by ATCO and with HIB across the top of the label, similar to the green issue copies. Most WD copies are like my own having the more usual ATCO distribution and HIB down the side, as 45 cellar's scan shows.

This is my vinyl WD which is ATCO distributed and also has the Detroit address ph34r.gif (not the one from JM's auction by the way).

Cheers

Richard

premium_stuff@hotmail.com

post-12286-1224445365_thumb.jpg

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

LUTHER INGRAM (originals)

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 DJ Detroit address 500.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 DJ Atco distributed 400.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 green label styrene with raised X in the deadwax 450.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 light green label vinyl 550.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 orange label "wylie credit" 750.00+

original 1966 Atco press with different text on label layout. Easiest way to tell is WYLIE is credited as the writer. 1973 issue reads WYLIA ...

Any other additions will be most welcome, for a book I'm working on.

Scans and info to john@raresoulman.co.uk

Without being able to check the deadwax of all of these various 45s, but going on label layout/print alone, is it not the case that:

• the Atco distributed vinyl WD without the Detroit address and with HIB Records down the left hand side of the label is the promo equivalent of the light green vinyl issue?
  • the WD shown in my previous post above with the Detroit address with HIB records along the top of the label is the promo equivalent of the original 1966 orange vinyl issue with the Wylie credit as posted by Alan?

Alan - if you could let me have the deadwax markings of your '66 orange issue please I will be able to check against my detroit address WD.

I also have the non-Detroit address WD, so if someone could please let me have the deadwax details for that one I will have a look at that too.

NB - There are two label variations of the green styrene Detroit issue with the Parker Street address - one had Distributed by ATCO record Sales Co. underneath the artist's name, the other version did not.

I have a few scans of the various boots and the originals, including a green-labelled styrene Parker Street copy with the words Promotional Not For Sale and PLUG SIDE on :D which got a mention above or elsewhere as a possible original.

Looking forward to details on those deadwax markings :(

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Quote:

I can't argue with the raised "X" in the Deadwax. My Green Stock Copy was "Styrene"

I thought that they all were.

After checking Manships Bootleg Guide, you're right, the "Styrene" copies are Detroit Issues.

SHELLEY PRODUCTS LTD. LONG ISLAND NEW YORK. RAISED X

The styrene pressing plant that used the raised X was on the east coast, not Detroit.

They pressed records up for hundreds of labels from all over the States.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Without being able to check the deadwax of all of these various 45s, but going on label layout/print alone, is it not the case that:

• the Atco distributed vinyl WD without the Detroit address and with HIB Records down the left hand side of the label is the promo equivalent of the light green vinyl issue?
  • the WD shown in my previous post above with the Detroit address with HIB records along the top of the label is the promo equivalent of the original 1966 orange vinyl issue with the Wylie credit as posted by Alan?

Alan - if you could let me have the deadwax markings of your '66 orange issue please I will be able to check against my detroit address WD.

I also have the non-Detroit address WD, so if someone could please let me have the deadwax details for that one I will have a look at that too.

NB - There are two label variations of the green styrene Detroit issue with the Parker Street address - one had Distributed by ATCO record Sales Co. underneath the artist's name, the other version did not.

I have a few scans of the various boots and the originals, including a green-labelled styrene Parker Street copy with the words Promotional Not For Sale and PLUG SIDE on :lol: which got a mention above or elsewhere as a possible original.

Looking forward to details on those deadwax markings :wicked:

Cheers

Richard

post-4912-1224527778_thumb.jpg

Here's the deadwax markings on my Atco distributed orange label. Bought this off Ian Clarke about 10 years ago for £25. scratched in:

HB - 11335 - 11 AT (very small) W (very small)

Social source share

Thats right, they are from LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK.

Here's a bit more from Dave Flynn's site (cheers Dave! :wicked: ).

"Shelley Products, Ltd", New York.

Based in Huntingdon Station, Long Island, near to NYC, they pressed for many East Coast major labels such as Liberty, Imperial and World Pacific, alongside cult independent ones, such as the Red Bird family and the infamous Shrine label. Their "X" mark is raised rather than etched into the styrene pressings they used, and often the actual record labels seem to come adrift from the discs due to poor quality adhesives used...this improved post-67. During 1969, the "X" was replaced with a backwards "S" withina circle. This company also owned the Golden Crest label.

Cheers

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Luther ingram originals info with values

LUTHER INGRAM (originals)

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 DJ Detroit address 500.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 DJ Atco distributed 400.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 green label styrene with raised X in the deadwax 450.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 light green label vinyl 550.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 orange label "wylie credit" 750.00+

original 1966 Atco press with different text on label layout. Easiest way to tell is WYLIE is credited as the writer. 1973 issue reads WYLIA

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 orange "wylia credit" this is the 1973 Atco re-issue 50.00

LUTHER INGRAM (bootlegs)

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 Vinyl bootleg HIB vertical logo left-hand side of label. Detroit addresss green label SCRATCHED IN X in the deadwax 25.00

IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE EXUS TREK HIB RECORDS 698 orange label HIB at the top of the label. Vinyl bootleg with awful sound quality 15.00

Any other additions will be most welcome, for a book I'm working on.

Scans and info to john@raresoulman.co.uk

Hi John

Does this have Distributed by ATCO Record Sales Co under artist name????

Like the one below

Thanks

post-3008-1225559859_thumb.jpg

Dave

Social source share

Hi John

Does this have Distributed by ATCO Record Sales Co under artist name????

Like the one below

Thanks

post-3008-1225559859_thumb.jpg

Dave

Dave,

The relevent info on the Luther Ingram's HIB 45 in in the new guide edition 5.

8 different indepth entries, cross-referenced with 8 full colour label scans.

We start mailing the PG5 on Monday. I think you've ordered one, haven't you?

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert