Babinski

Favorite two-step tracks/artists?

Hello everyone!

As somewhat of a soul newbie I'm strill struggling a bit with soul subgenre classification, but apparenly I love what's referred to as two step soul or "steppers". I'm not really a dancer but I guess it's that smooth, laidback and funky sound I'm looking for.

Anyways, feel free to share one or a couple of your favorite tracks/45s or if there are any specifik artists I really should dig into.

A couple of examples that I really dig are Jeffree - Loves gonna last, Paris - I choose you, Keni Burke - Risin to the top.

Any tips will be much appreciated!

A lot of misconceptions on what a 2 step record is . They are slow tunes not midtempo with walking basslines . The original scene was made up of records that were played at reggae functions / blues party's and fitted in with that tempo . The 45's below represent some of type that were played -

Keith Barrow / You know you want to be loved

Rita Wright / Touch me , take me

Josie James / Win your love

having looked on youtube at what is categorised as "2 steppers" i'm going to remove this post

Edited by gogs
misunderstanding

Im no authority on this genre but I came across the Chicago Stepping Dance scene a few years ago which Ive posted on my Pinterest Boards. Its roots are said to have evolved from the 1970's Disco dance 'The Bop' and were popularised by Chicago DJ Sam Chatman . Its got some slick moves commonly delivered by couples .. not always male - female to tunes that might be considered Two Step ? It reminds me a bit of the 'Beach Music Scene ' from the Carolina's and like that it is still active with its own competition's , reunions and compilation LP's for folks of a certain age. Sounds familiar. !! 🙂 Here's an example , the tune is Steve Butler's 'Shakedown' . (2005) 

Just noted shades of the moves from LJ Reynolds track posted above by BlackpoolSoul . Sam Chatman still organises Chicago events via Facebook apparently. Here's another clip .(2010)   I understand its not a Gay couple .. not that it matters .. ,and the 2nd track is Mario's 'Call the Cops'. .Some slick moves here guys . 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.