Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Bus Pass Dancer

Haven’t heard this for years!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bus Pass Dancer said:

Local do last night at Rushden....

A GOOD THING GOING- Phil Coulter........

Happy Days!

 

 

Never heard this one before plus I was far too young to attend  Wigan Casino!

Definitely wouldn't call it a Northern Soul tune on first impression,it reminded me more of Billy Taylor covering a Righteous Brothers song.  

Nice piano arrangement, too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bus Pass Dancer said:

I know what you’re all thinking.....

not really a northern tune- a ballad and as someone described it a ‘guilty pleasure ‘ but it brings back memories of Wigan and whoever thought to play it thank you 

It was my brother in law, Dean (Olphert) who played this 45 - at the Soul In The Attic gig in Rushden last night. He's not on Soul Source but asks me to pass on his thanks for your comments and so pleased it helped you relive some old memories. Apparently it filled the floor! and was a good choice at the time. He included it in his playbox as it's one of his wife's (Marion) faves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FickleFingers said:

 YouYou're right Steve - had to be there, and all that.. Just a bit suprised you can remember ANYTHING before New Years Eve !! 😎

I actually stayed in mate. Leave NYE to all the dickheads. Look forward to catching up with you hopefully at Rugby in February 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought it blind on Inferno clear vinyl in the late 70s.... always enjoyed listening to it, good tune.

He wrote hits for the Bay City Rollers and puppet on a string.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

It's one of those you had to be there records.  I was there and like many records that the soul police have decided that you can't play or even listen to these days brings back memories of the Casino and the greatest time of my life 

Steve 

Massive record in its time, just like this :

 

 

Both very much part of the Northern Soul fraternity... 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Phil Coulter tune is very similar to Sounds Orchestral 'Cast Your Fate To The Wind'...

Was Sounds Orchestral ever played in the early days? I know their 'Have Faith In Your Love' was.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 01/01/2019 at 15:16, tomangoes said:

Massive record in its time, just like this :

 

 

Both very much part of the Northern Soul fraternity... 

Ed

 Never a real "monster" sound pre 75, but played just about everywhere in the early seventies, as a new release. Initially covered up, but I can't recall as what! 

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

Obviously there were many instrumentals played in that 75 to 79 era that filled the floors then but are frowned upon now.

Nostalgia prevails and Phil Coulter is one of them.

More Northern than Soul for sure but from personal experience they were great and many had the yearned for 'clap' break, where literally everybody in the room joined in.

Al de Lory being a perfect example.

A few years earlier ' Double Cooking ' was even bigger!

My favourite was this:

 

Happy youthful days indeed.

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Joey said:

 Never a real "monster" sound pre 75, but played just about everywhere in the early seventies, as a new release. Initially covered up, but I can't recall as what! 

Pete Smith recently sent out a load of live tapes from WC. Various years one of them opened with Al D'lory the clapping was brilliant and the atmosphere could be felt again. Fantastic. You DID have to be there to fully appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve Foran said:

Pete Smith recently sent out a load of live tapes from WC. Various years one of them opened with Al D'lory the clapping was brilliant and the atmosphere could be felt again. Fantastic. You DID have to be there to fully appreciate it.

As I've mentioned several times, in several different threads, no matter what went before it, the atmosphere at the Casino in its first 12-15 months was better than could ever have been imagined, and second to none. Especially when certain instrumentals were played. And many of those instrumentals are no longer deemed as being worthy of playing, with many snobs and chinstrokers deriding their merit and value, and chiding any who say otherwise. As you say, you really did have to be there to appreciate it. Happy days indeed. I can't actually recall "Right On" being that big back then, although it did indeed get played, but then again, I stopped going at the end of '75, so haven't a clue as to what filled the floor afterwards. I do recall it being played at various venues between 72 and 74, but again, there were so many top notch instrumentals being played back then that any tune had to be REALLY good to be viewed as a top sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Joey said:

 Never a real "monster" sound pre 75, but played just about everywhere in the early seventies, as a new release. Initially covered up, but I can't recall as what! 

It was covered as the Don Costa strings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joey said:

As I've mentioned several times, in several different threads, no matter what went before it, the atmosphere at the Casino in its first 12-15 months was better than could ever have been imagined, and second to none. Especially when certain instrumentals were played. And many of those instrumentals are no longer deemed as being worthy of playing, with many snobs and chinstrokers deriding their merit and value, and chiding any who say otherwise. As you say, you really did have to be there to appreciate it. Happy days indeed. I can't actually recall "Right On" being that big back then, although it did indeed get played, but then again, I stopped going at the end of '75, so haven't a clue as to what filled the floor afterwards. I do recall it being played at various venues between 72 and 74, but again, there were so many top notch instrumentals being played back then that any tune had to be REALLY good to be viewed as a top sound.

Afternoon of the Rhino springs to mind Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this off JM and covered it up as Al de Lory 

got Richard Searling to play at wigan.....didnt flop but never really made it

Sold to Dave Thorley if i remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve Foran said:

Afternoon of the Rhino springs to mind Joey

That's the VERY one that springs to mind. Had several "discussions" with various members about it, and to hear them speak you'd think NO-ONE ever liked it!! Neither is it politically correct to even think of asking for it to be played out. But, if you were there in the summer of 74, it created an atmosphere never replicated. As did the clapping to Electric Indian's "Land of 1000 Dances". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.