Two Bass Hits

Guest hammy

Just finished listening to one of my favourite crossover tracks, the magnificent Sonny Til - Tears and Misery on RCA. Now in Hammy's opinion, this record has a bassline so sturdy that you could hang a thousand rain drenched duffle coats on it .... that's a complement btw ! lol

Sooooooo.... out of all your soul faves, what are your favourite basslines - it doesn't matter if these are on northern or rare soul tunes. For example, another track which I think has a fantastic bass and rhythm section is James Carr's - Stronger Than Love, I think the bassline can 'make' a track almost ( I did say almost !) as much as the vocal ... and on STL you get a heavenly marriage of both.

Opinions/ thoughts?

Hammy

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just finished listening to one of my favourite crossover tracks, the magnificent Sonny Til - Tears and Misery on RCA. Now in Hammy's opinion, this record has a bassline so sturdy that you could hang a thousand rain drenched duffle coats on it .... that's a complement btw ! lol

Sooooooo.... out of all your soul faves, what are your favourite basslines - it doesn't matter if these are on northern or rare soul tunes. For example, another track which I think has a fantastic bass and rhythm section is James Carr's - Stronger Than Love, I think the bassline can 'make' a track almost ( I did say almost !) as much as the vocal ... and on STL you get a heavenly marriage of both.

Opinions/ thoughts?

Hammy

Great topic Hammy,

The greatest bassline for me is on one of the cheapest records we all own. It ranks up with any 'classical' music or anything I've ever heard recorded in any style or genre. It is of course......

Stevie Wonder - UPIGHT! - Tamla

There are a couple of others I think are fantastic but I'll not hog your thread. Back later with a couple more.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Ohh er, loads really, i suppose Nsoul is very base driven so could choose any number.

Was listening to 7th Avenue Aviators as i read this thread & noticed the base lines are more intricate than i would have thought on that record.

I would say base lines got more pronounced & intricate as the decades moved on, one of my favourites from the 70's is 'Hokis Pokis - Swing' the whole song is woven around the base on that one, as if 'the base came first & we'll write a song around it' if you get what i mean ?

Social source share

Oooh.. I love a good bass line. For me, favourite has to be Vibrations - Cause You're Mine! Just had a listen to Lancers - Bassology (thank you search) - cool instrumental!

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

What about.... something a bit more soul-agit-punk-rock-tastic... e.g.

Vickie Baines - Country Girl

OOOhhhh or what about The Embers - Aware of Love. Don't let the image of everyone's favourite North Carolinian "weatherman lookalikes" deceive you! Some bass line on that !

And finally a song I really dislike. Karmello Brooks - Tell Me Baby ... oddly popular and worthy only because of the nimble fretwork in the bass register... lol

Hammy

Social source share

I'll beat Mr Moore to it with Bernadette. A bass line so complex that no one, I think I am right in saying, has managed to actually perform it the way James Jamerson did.

A virtuoso performance from the undoubted master.

Good Call Brian,

One of the enigmas that is Jamerson imo is how he can be so aggressive on one song and yet so delicate on another. Take for instance his contributions to the two songs here:

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Jackie_Wils..._And_Higher.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Marvin_Gaye...ing_Brother.ram

First one it's as though he and the drummer (Benjamin?) are the amost 'dragging' everyone else along. Only Jackie Wilson could compete with them on this track. Anyone else would have been smotherd by them imo.

Second one, you can hardly spot his Fender at all, but it's as vital to the whole sound as much as Marvin's vocal.

Maestro indeed.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Have to say... it's this one for me... just awesome!! thumbsup.gif

ASK FOR ONE GOOD REASON - larry williams - okeh

14061 refosoul

Superb choice from the first lady of soul there - that one bobs along sweet as a nut. Notice how the bassist never loses control of it. He keeps the whole track simmering, and yet never once does it boil over. The key is tasteful restraint - wish I could apply it to my dress sense ;-)

hammy

Social source share

Now this is how to build a track round a bassline.

Use this to blow the cobwebs away when we set our equipment up.

Prominent - Step Into My World

10153 refosoul

You're right about the build! Lottie loved it.

Social source share

When I saw the title Two Bass Hit I thought you were on about this......which just happens to contain the brilliant jazz choon Milestones....'kin awsome thumbsup.gif

I just remembered something....Gavin do you remember playing Milestones at a soul do...I think it was in Derby in a basement somewhere....I think you drove me and Cliff there....and as I remember right you were a mad driver cool.gif Val

post-646-1170103057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chunky
Social source share

Hi Chunky - a fellow Miles fan eh ? Must confess it was a play on words. Glad you picked up on it. thumbsup.gif

I'll say one thing. Miles could teach today's youngsters how to dress. No hoodies for the prince of darkness !

Hammy

Social source share

My fave bassline is def. 2001: Black Essence "Change in my life" (JWJ)

Midtempo crossover heaven with HEAVY bass guitar..

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Now this is how to build a track round a bassline.

Use this to blow the cobwebs away when we set our equipment up.

Prominent - Step Into My World

10153 refosoul

Agree, the above is a killer tune.

One of my favourite plays at the moment is The Imports 'I'm not ashamed of loving you'. Love the haunting bassline.

My kids love listening to Mike Jame's Kirklands 'O Me O My (I'm a fool for you baby)' at the moment and this has some great bass on it too.

Social source share

Intro and bass line in Fontella Bass - Rescue me- bliss

Lofty

OOH YES!!...anyone know the bass player on this session?...so solid.....and talking of solid, give James a listen as he lays down some serious bass on The Isley's "This Old Heart of Mine"....Top Man.

Social source share

For me:

Everything by James Jamerson (Jnr)

Also, James Jemerson Jnr (Jnr, Jnr) (check out Marlena Shaw - I just want this feeling to last)

Tracks:

Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You

Free - All Right Now

Plus ought by:

Bruce Foxton, The Jam

Andy Rourke, The Smiths

Rob Jones 'The Bass Thing', The Wonderstuff

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!