Cody Black interview

G F

Cody did visit the UK and perform, and no doubt that was a positive, life-affirming experience for him. 

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview - listening to him speak makes the words more powerful.

The next one coming online will be Melvin Davis. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

53 minutes ago, G F said:

Cody did visit the UK and perform, and no doubt that was a positive, life-affirming experience for him. 

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview - listening to him speak makes the words more powerful.

The next one coming online will be Melvin Davis

EXACTLY. Will find the time to take another more dedicated "religious" listening to it. 

Another firm favorite true soul hero coming... WOW ! Waiting with great expectation !

Social source share

It's great to get different people's takes on Berry Gordy, Robert West, Sax Kari, Ed Wingate, Wilbur Golden, Don Davis, Dave Hamilton, Hazel & Robert Coleman, Diamond Jim Riley, Joe Battle, Johnnie Mae Matthews, Carmen Murphy, Rev. James Hendrix, Harry Balk, Devora & Jack Brown, Armen Boladian, Lou Beatty, Sam Motley, Joe Hunter, Fred Brown, Popcorn Wylie, etc.  It would be nice if we could have a repository of Detroit music industry personality interviews as extensive as Bob A. had for Chicago.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

It's great to get different people's takes on Berry Gordy, Robert West, Sax Kari, Ed Wingate, Wilbur Golden, Don Davis, Dave Hamilton, Hazel & Robert Coleman, Diamond Jim Riley, Joe Battle, Johnnie Mae Matthews, Carmen Murphy, Rev. James Hendrix, Harry Balk, Devora & Jack Brown, Armen Boladian, Lou Beatty, Sam Motley, Joe Hunter, Fred Brown, Popcorn Wylie, etc.  It would be nice if we could have a repository of Detroit music industry personality interviews as extensive as Bob A. had for Chicago.

What a great idea Robb.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Robbk said:

Cheers, Robb

I will add some other interviews to YouTube before too long.

The problem is the poor sound quality of many that I taped, and not all the interviewees are as  good at storytelling as Melvin and Cody. I've just listened to the Emanuel Laskey interview I did and his voice sounds weak - he was too far from the microphone, but I will see if I can enhance it with the aid of software. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 11/09/2021 at 16:32, G F said:

Cheers, Robb

I will add some other interviews to YouTube before too long.

The problem is the poor sound quality of many that I taped, and not all the interviewees are as  good at storytelling as Melvin and Cody. I've just listened to the Emanuel Laskey interview I did and his voice sounds weak - he was too far from the microphone, but I will see if I can enhance it with the aid of software. 

Emanuel Lasky, too!!!  Great news!!!  It's such a shame that we had so many posts by people from The Detroit Music business back in the 60s on Soulful Detroit Forum, telling us about the main characters, and their own stories; but most of them got lost in the transfer from platform to platform.  There were also links to interviews that we lost, as well.

It's also a shame that I didn't tape conversations I had with people back in the day.  But, I didn't want to bother them with such formalities, and I might have heard a lot less. I didn't want to come across as a "fanboy", or a reporter, or invade people's privacy.  There are fewer of those elderly music makers of the 60s left.  We should hear what they've got to say before it's too late.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 11/09/2021 at 05:17, G F said:

The next one coming online will be Melvin Davis. 

I saw him on his visit at Prestatyn, he wasn't in the best of health and the sound system IMO let him and Baby Washington down.  I could hardly hear BW and I was in a pretty decent spot as well. 

Social source share

On 12/09/2021 at 08:57, Chalky said:

I saw him on his visit at Prestatyn, he wasn't in the best of health and the sound system IMO let him and Baby Washington down.  I could hardly hear BW and I was in a pretty decent spot as well. 

REMIND AN OLD MAN WHAT YEAR THAT WAS CHALKIE???

HERE IS THE GREAT MAN770521161_CODYBLACK20210913_11201780.thumb.jpg.92cdeaadcc53ce9da0e312ad07e7dc81.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Stevecee said:

Thanks for the upload, loved the interview and funnily enought recently re-aquired Going, Going, Gone, how its still so cheap to pick up is a mystery!

I'm now editing my interview with Calvin Stephenson, who recorded with The Magic Tones on Ram-Brock - and other labels such as Wheelsville USA and Westbound.  Hopefully Part 1 should be done by the weekend.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!