Eddie Regan - Will you please stand up

Blackpoolsoul

I remember this from my youth club days, but can't find much about Eddie. (please direct me if I missed it)

He "appears" to have been the manager of this group in Brooklyn around 1965 when a deal was hooked with Kapp

"We Sang Under Various "Group" Names , Such As
"The Destinations", "The Hamilton's", "The Tip Tops" and "The Groove"
Each having a "story" behind them"

http://www.derotoypoodles.com/THETIPTOPS2.html

3rd column on left is  a small article about R&W productions and Eddie Regan

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Magazines/Archive-Channels-IDX/IDX/CB-1965-11-27-OCR-Page-0035.pdf

Joe Scott, Bill Ramal and Marty Wilson are all connected through Eddie Regan and Eddie Bishop

Eddie regan.jpg

Eddie.jpg

Tip Tops.jpg

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 24/12/2021 at 01:29, Benji said:

I bet there is.

Don't know how accurate it is, but according to Discogs United Artists purchased DCP in 1966.

Am no liker of the said record so I've only been following the talk on here from far but that info arose my interest. And so I took my first little dive on it as I am sometimes drawn and astonished to see major labels with little twist stories like that... Taken (copy & pate) from discogs as well;

DCP International was started by Don Costa after leaving ABC-Paramount in 1964. United Artists Records purchased the label in 1966 and the name was changed to Veep.

Could it be that Don Costa produced that Eddie Regan 45 scheduled for an up-coming DCP release then this UA deal came along and the Veep change had no room for Eddie Regan. Don Costa could then have brought the reels with him back to good ol' ABC that he left 2 years prior. Could it be ?

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Don Costa productions for other companies were still happening even when he had the DCP label.

Reading the articles from the day, Don Costa it appeared had very little if nothing to do with Eddie Regan release, it's not one of his productions.  It would appear he leased or sold it on after purchase to ABC.  Likely the purchased of R&W done after the sale of DCP?

Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Don Costa productions for other companies were still happening even when he had the DCP label.

Reading the articles from the day, Don Costa it appeared had very little if nothing to do with Eddie Regan release, it's not one of his productions.  It would appear he leased or sold it on after purchase to ABC.  Likely the purchased of R&W done after the sale of DCP?

1582605662_Capturedecran2021-12-27a15_07_10.png.69aacf5be02b5a4543d11c1b56fb4d45.png

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

1582605662_Capturedecran2021-12-27a15_07_10.png.69aacf5be02b5a4543d11c1b56fb4d45.png

I read what it says,  "for Don Costa Prod" but it was a Ramal-Wilson production, the line above just in case you missed it.  Again I doubt Don Costa had very little to do with the production rather he simply acquired the masters when he bought Ramal Wilson Associates in 1966.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, The Yank said:

I'm not sure what you're getting. I'm reading that info as Ramal-Wilson produced the 45 for Don Costa Productions aka DCP.

DCP, the label was sold in early 1966, my guess is he used the funds to purchase R-W?  Just a guess mind as there is nothing concrete anywhere.  But I still maintain Don Costa had nothing to do with the production of Eddie Regan other than acquire the master from R-W?

Social source share

11 minutes ago, The Yank said:

To make things even  more confusing, I found this article in Record World that was published a week before the Eddie Regan article that was in Cashbox.  I would guess Costa took the Eddie Regan master with him when he went to ABC - 

ABC.jpg

what was the date?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Garethx said:

Also Eddie Bishop would appear to be a pseudonym for Bill Ramal himself, who was a tenor saxophonist in addition to an arranger/producer.

Superb input, thanks

On this link it mentions Bobby moonlighting as a producer

https://tims.blackcat.nl/messages/bobby_pedrick_jr.htm

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

22 hours ago, Chalky said:

I read what it says,  "for Don Costa Prod" but it was a Ramal-Wilson production, the line above just in case you missed it.  Again I doubt Don Costa had very little to do with the production rather he simply acquired the masters when he bought Ramal Wilson Associates in 1966.

Yes, I'm fine with what you imply, I'm only guessing. But this at least explains how this Eddie Regan came about to be released on ABC. That through Don Costa after the dismissal of his label DCP (where it could have been release if not for the sale-out of the label) and the following migration of Little Anthony & the Imperials on Veep...

Don Costa making his come back on ABC wanting his name to be the man making this possible. Indeed by purchasing the masters but not twinkering in the actual recording or even prior, that I can believe. Yet a Producer with means to make the release possible on a major label maybe hoping for big promotion but to no avail...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!