Barry Young - Show Me The Way.

Davidc
Go to solution Solved by Tiggerwoods,

Cannot remember where but someone on here said he played it out, maybe about three years ago. Seem to remember he said it got quite a good reaction. I actually like the tune, won't claim it to be soul and I did buy a copy. Playing the A side someone must have been doing some serious digging to flip it over.

Memory is sketchy but I think he said he played it at an all nighter in the Midlands possibly. Again not sure but he might have posted either a play list or a podcast with it on. I definitely remember the comment though. 

Edited by Twoshoes
Additional info, spelling error.
Social source share

5 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Cannot remember where but someone on here said he played it out, maybe about three years ago. Seem to remember he said it got quite a good reaction. I actually like the tune, won't claim it to be soul and I did buy a copy. Playing the A side someone must have been doing some serious digging to flip it over.

Memory is sketchy but I think he said he played it at an all nighter in the Midlands possibly. Again not sure but he might have posted either a play list or a podcast with it on. I definitely remember the comment though. 

Yep, I remember the comment too. I had a look on YouTube out of interest and saw the 'live' performance. I then bought copy of the record - just because I liked it and it was no more than the price of a pint.

As has already been said, he does sound similar to Dean Martin.

Social source share

A new one for me - and I like it!

A big city soul arrangement with a big-voiced blue-eyed singer. It's got all the drama you would want from such a tune.

It sounds so brilliantly pop-soul crossover 1960s and evokes the likes of British artists like Tony Colton, Bobby Sansom, and particularly Robert Henry and his stunning 'Walk away like a winner'.

Whether Barry Young was played out or not, it's a big thumbs up from me! :thumbup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 04/02/2022 at 19:25, Hill868 said:

sad indictment of how low the rare soul scene can sink at times

I don't think the playing of questionable records is exclusively the domain of the rare soul scene. When you see a group of knowledgeable long time devotees of the scene dancing in a circle with arms waving in the air to Petula Clarke that for me was baffling. They were enjoying themselves so I suppose as always it comes down to one man's meat, to each his own etc. I don't consider it as sinking low , whether you like the record or not it does have its merits as a good tune of its kind and if someone considers it worthy of playing out fair play to them.

Edited by Twoshoes
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Found some copies while digging in the US 20 years ago. Sounded dodgy to me but we thought there might be a market somewhere and sold them immediate on return to Blighty. 

Suppose it would appeal to those more in line with Popcorn. Never a soul record for me.

definitely a popcorn kinda sound.. if it were ever gonna be popular it woulda been at those types of venues 20 odd years ago

Social source share

Sure someone spun it ..............sad indictment of how low the rare soul scene can sink at times ........

Sure someone spun it ..............sad indictment of how low the rare soul scene can sink at times ........

I was given that once and promptly gave it to someone else…..if DJs are playing that we’re in trouble

Social source share

Ian Levine used the word STRANGE.

Probably the best description of the world of Northern Soul, without insulting different tastes, so to say.

Some records you just like, with no logical reason.

Not a fan myself of this particular tune, but I can live with Wombat and Travis Wamack.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!