Mill Evans - Constellation recording, poss unreleased

Souljer6

32 minutes ago, The Yank said:

There was a topic on this website about an acetate from 2012. It's described as an alternate vocal to "Just Like The Weather" but never mentions the title  of the song. It also said the acetate was sold on e-bay but I can't find any info on it. 

That was probably the Mill Edwards test pressing of JLTW that Butch has.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Souljer6 said:

Does anyone have any information of a recording by Mill entitled "Things are gonna change" or maybe "Things have gotta change" which has the same backing as Just like the weather/ A love Reputation?   It's not "Things won't be the same" btw.  TIA

Slightly off topic,you mention denise laselle a love reputation,ive just noticed that her version on tarpon is different from the chess release? No girl backing on the chess release! The tarpon release is closer to the “just like the weather” version!

Social source share

Thanks for your responses guys. I was asking on behalf of a friend whose one off carver of the track was cut from a 10" Constellation acetate and has gone missing. He thinks it was probably 2014 when he acquired it. If anyone hears it played out perhaps you could let me know.

Social source share

On 07/02/2022 at 20:17, Dobber said:

Slightly off topic,you mention denise laselle a love reputation,ive just noticed that her version on tarpon is different from the chess release? No girl backing on the chess release! The tarpon release is closer to the “just like the weather” version!

I think (only that because if I love 'just like the weather' as Nolan Chance for that matter I never digged 'a love reputation' nor much more Lasalle's material in general (now waiting for the 'backlash' returns 🙀)) so I think that there are even two versions on Tarpon. Yes there are at leat two mixes or takes on Tarpon (regarless of the blue or green label I remember but surely the matrixes) and that the Chess release I believe should be the same as one of the two mixes/take (once again I've tried to study some the thing but not with the actual discs in hands so it was not so conclusive or decisive if their were only different mixes or takes) I remember. But there  is indeed at leat two versions on Tarpon. If not three all in all with a maybe even different version on the Chess release if ever...

Social source share

Think this was the original acetate which I downloaded when it was on ebay, it is dated 9th March 2009, but dont have the information from the seller, I seem to remember there was a sound byte. The original acetate which is just about readable says Mill Edwards as commented above!

Just like the weather.jpg

Social source share

5 hours ago, ronniesoul said:

Think this was the original acetate which I downloaded when it was on ebay, it is dated 9th March 2009, but dont have the information from the seller, I seem to remember there was a sound byte. The original acetate which is just about readable says Mill Edwards as commented above!

Just like the weather.jpg

Its a test press if I remember rightly not an acetate, but I could be wrong, had it in me hands as well 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, ronniesoul said:

Clicking link to Popsike says was released on the Exodus label, which is a semi independent Chicago label started in 1966 which was dependent on Vee-Jay Records for Masters &  sleeves (Wikipedia). So interesting. Chalky yes it is a test press

it was never released, it must have been planned though if a test press was done 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Simon T said:

Comparing the two sound files, the instrumentation and female backing seem to be the same to my ears.

the MH is about 15 seconds shorter than NC, but this just might be that it goes straight to the first verse.

The first verse on ME and NC are different lyrics

Is that the eBay sound file...that is shorter but it was edited

Social source share

14 minutes ago, ronniesoul said:

The strange thing is that above Souljer6 mentioned a Constellation acetate is there a photo of this acetate would interesting to see what details, if any are on this?

Also that it’s 10” not 7” 

Social source share

On 07/02/2022 at 18:20, The Yank said:

There was a topic on this website about an acetate from 2012. It's described as an alternate vocal to "Just Like The Weather" but never mentions the title  of the song. It also said the acetate was sold on e-bay but I can't find any info on it. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

think the acetate maybe the Richie Parker/Aaron Neville one Poke used to play, pretty poor if memory serves? 

I remember it being 10" voc / instr. Nowt special. I have both sides on a cassette somewhere, but not good enough to warrant the time to look through 1000's of tapes to find it.

I think NCFC on here used to own it

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

15 hours ago, Chalky said:

Is that the eBay sound file...that is shorter but it was edited

That scan looks like the time is 2:36. The sound file I have is 2:16 as it's missing the 15 second intro. As the backing track is the same as NC, I'd just need to copy the intro on to ME. Otherwise i think there pretty much the same except the lyrics of the first verse. I wonder which came first?

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Simon T said:

That scan looks like the time is 2:36. The sound file I have is 2:16 as it's missing the 15 second intro. As the backing track is the same as NC, I'd just need to copy the intro on to ME. Otherwise i think there pretty much the same except the lyrics of the first verse. I wonder which came first?

The one I have is about 2.32, the 2.16 one is edited down and the 1.50 or so is the ebay sound file.

32 minutes ago, Simon T said:

I remember it being 10" voc / instr. Nowt special. I have both sides on a cassette somewhere, but not good enough to warrant the time to look through 1000's of tapes to find it.

Listening to what I think it is now, eek

Social source share

Yes! That's the one. My mate bought the carver from Gary Holiman who made him promise not to make further copies. He didn't but now the carver has gone missing from his house. I used to know Gary but no one seems to have seen him recently. Do you know whether or not he's still around? I hear that he sold all his records a while back.

Social source share

On 13/02/2022 at 13:57, Simon T said:

Found the tape, labelled 16/05/87

? / Just Like The Weather / HDH 10" studio acetate voc & instr

• Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Souljer6 said:

Yes! That's the one. My mate bought the carver from Gary Holiman who made him promise not to make further copies. He didn't but now the carver has gone missing from his house. I used to know Gary but no one seems to have seen him recently. Do you know whether or not he's still around? I hear that he sold all his records a while back.

Not seen Gary since the last time i did some record swaps with him...probably 2004, i got a Connie Stevens demo off him " Tick Tock " which of course has had some action in that time.

Very knowledgeable bloke, and very likeable. I was looking this afternoon, at the playlist for for the last All Nighter at Trentham Gardens ( which i compiled - its on Dave Rimmers site ), he and Jordi Ripolles did a two hour set together...its amazing what was big back then, crossover wise. I looked to see if that had been included, but sadly not.

Social source share

So there's ?

1. NC released

2. ME unreleased 7" test press (Butch) different 1st verse

3. RP / AN 10"  HDH acetate voc & instrumental

4. RP / AN 10" HDH acetate vocal both sides (Cunnie)

5. 10" acetate version (missing carver taken from)

6. another 10" acetate (Constellation) ??? version

Social source share

3 hours ago, Agentsmith said:

Not seen Gary since the last time i did some record swaps with him...probably 2004, i got a Connie Stevens demo off him " Tick Tock " which of course has had some action in that time.

Very knowledgeable bloke, and very likeable. I was looking this afternoon, at the playlist for for the last All Nighter at Trentham Gardens ( which i compiled - its on Dave Rimmers site ), he and Jordi Ripolles did a two hour set together...its amazing what was big back then, crossover wise. I looked to see if that had been included, but sadly not.

Thanks. Last time I saw him was at Prestatyn I think 10- 15 years ago. Bought a Philip James on UK Island from him. Nice guy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!