Goodbye Brighouse Ritz

Kathryn Magson

Yesterday a friend and I took up the invitation to have a last look around the iconic Ritz in Brighouse - sadly, only a small handful of us were there. 

We had no idea just what to expect - we thought the place would be something of a building site - but even then, we were both shocked & saddened by the sight that greeted us. From the outside, at first glance The Ritz doesn't really appear much different - a bit unloved & unkempt, run-down & in need of a bit of tlc - but otherwise no great change.  However, on entering the foyer we were in for a huge shock, with dirt, litter & rubble strewn everywhere & an overpowering smell of damp. mould & decay. Once inside the room there was no lighting, so we found ourselves in total darkness & were shown around by flashlight.  

The current owner told us that they'd had very little interest from potential buyers, as both the business rates & insurance were so high that buyers were immediately put off. There have also been numerous burglaries, with lighting; sound system & copper piping all stripped out,. The most recent burglars had clearly spent quite some time there - helped themselves to drinks from the bar & left a few personal items - shoes etc - even a pair of nail clippers, so bizarrely someone must have found time for a bit of a pedicure!

Even now, in a corner of the room there stands a boiler & more copper piping awaiting collection by the burglars (apparently the most recent burglary has resulted in 4 men in police custody - I'd already seen in the local paper a few days ago that they'd been arrested, all armed with machetes).

It was so sad to see this once great venue reduced to this sorry state - I think many of us have fond memories of those storming nights at The Ritz & would love to see the place rise from the ashes, but any such hopes were thoroughly crushed as soon as we entered the building. 

I thought some of you might be interested to see a few photos that were taken yesterday.

369785958_10232735141421109_8143042441894316726_n.jpg

370771817_10232735139261055_7000388250774154650_n.jpg

370791247_10232735140741092_7273904739806631882_n.jpg

370701841_10232735118340532_6921200658595153098_n.jpg

370918998_10232735130620839_8087003997882818493_n (1).jpg

370785735_10232735102860145_1427477931866066929_n.jpg

Edited by Kathryn Magson
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Kathryn Magson said:

Yesterday a friend and I took up the invitation to have a last look around the iconic Ritz in Brighouse - sadly, only a small handful of us were there. 

We had no idea just what to expect - we thought the place would be something of a building site - but even then, we were both shocked & saddened by the sight that greeted us. From the outside, at first glance The Ritz doesn't really appear much different - a bit unloved & unkempt, run-down & in need of a bit of tlc - but otherwise no great change.  However, on entering the foyer we were in for a huge shock, with dirt, litter & rubble strewn everywhere & an overpowering smell of damp. mould & decay. Once inside the room there was no lighting, so we found ourselves in total darkness & were shown around by flashlight.  

The current owner told us that they'd had very little interest from potential buyers, as both the business rates & insurance were so high that buyers were immediately put off. There have also been numerous burglaries, with lighting; sound system & copper piping all stripped out,. The most recent burglars had clearly spent quite some time there - helped themselves to drinks from the bar & left a few personal items - shoes etc - even a pair of nail clippers, so bizarrely someone must have found time for a bit of a pedicure!

Even now, in a corner of the room there stands a boiler & more copper piping awaiting collection by the burglars (apparently the most recent burglary has resulted in 4 men in police custody - I'd already seen in the local paper a few days ago that they'd been arrested, all armed with machetes).

It was so sad to see this once great venue reduced to this sorry state - I think many of us have fond memories of those storming nights at The Ritz & would love to see the place rise from the ashes, but any such hopes were thoroughly crushed as soon as we entered the building. 

I thought some of you might be interested to see a few photos that were taken yesterday.

Wow, thats very sad to see. I used to go there a lot when i was living in Wakefield. Had some great nights...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Wouldn't it be nice to win the lottery and buy it and make it rise from the ashes again if only

It certainly would Stephen - it would take a massive win! We could maybe do with a few rich mates willing to club together & bail it out......how many millionaires do you know? 'Fraid I don't think I know any unless they're keeping it secret lol.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Sad to see, are the bats still in the roof or have the thieves nicked them too. 

Great memories of the first venue on my return to the scene in 2013.  Loved the Repossessed events, the music, the people the dancing.  I was hoping we could move to the civic hall again....but not this time. 

Hope to be back for a shuffle at the Mead Hall in the autumn.

Richard

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Kathryn Magson said:

It certainly would Stephen - it would take a massive win! We could maybe do with a few rich mates willing to club together & bail it out......how many millionaires do you know? 'Fraid I don't think I know any unless they're keeping it secret lol.

Millionaires 

Craig Charles is an English actor, comedian, author, poet, DJ, and television presenter who has a net worth of $2.5 million.

Stuart Maconie Networth 2023  2.85 Million - plus maybe tap 

John Manship & Kev Roberts up 🤔

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Another one bites the dust. Had some great Friday nights there back in the day.  I remember queuing up for quite some time on occasions. Lowton, The Longfield Suite, Brighouse  all gone along with a host of other venues never to be repeated. Thank god for memories while we still have them.

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/08/2023 at 11:47, Kathryn Magson said:

Heartbroken, Drove from Notts for over 7  years every Friday night it was on, Sat at the front table 3rd from the  left looking at the stage from the Bar, Henry selling his records in the bottom corner and the amazing dance floor with the worst toilets ever ! My Favourite Northern Soul Venue ever ! The only place in Midern Days you queued every month without fail ! 

Simon Richard.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

16 hours ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

Millionaires 

Craig Charles is an English actor, comedian, author, poet, DJ, and television presenter who has a net worth of $2.5 million.

Stuart Maconie Networth 2023  2.85 Million - plus maybe tap 

John Manship & Kev Roberts up 🤔

Looking for support from some of the rich guys would be a great idea & has already crossed my mind. I've asked around, but nobody seems to know just who currently owns The Ritz, let alone their contact details. I thought it sounded on Friday that it won't be very long at all before the bulldozers move in.  😢

Social source share

This unfortunately is a bulldozer that has been waiting to move in for some years.  I am not sure if there is a will to keep this building and I believe Brighouse Civic Society and/or some private individuals have tried but failed for heritage funding.  Without heritage funding as a privately owned site this is going to be a a demolition.

The last I heard the site was part sold to the Venue Group during the row about the "Ritz" name.  Perhaps someone could save the dance floor.... but it will need some polish and tlc in its new home.  If I'm honest it needed some tlc last time I went. 

It almost feels like this building will burn to the ground soon to allow the redevelopment to proceed, a bit like the wonkey pub in the midlands.  I dont think there is enough money in this for the private intestors... there appears to be too much damage now.....

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 28/08/2023 at 22:02, Rabsurf said:

This unfortunately is a bulldozer that has been waiting to move in for some years.  I am not sure if there is a will to keep this building and I believe Brighouse Civic Society and/or some private individuals have tried but failed for heritage funding.  Without heritage funding as a privately owned site this is going to be a a demolition.

The last I heard the site was part sold to the Venue Group during the row about the "Ritz" name.  Perhaps someone could save the dance floor.... but it will need some polish and tlc in its new home.  If I'm honest it needed some tlc last time I went. 

It almost feels like this building will burn to the ground soon to allow the redevelopment to proceed, a bit like the wonkey pub in the midlands.  I dont think there is enough money in this for the private intestors... there appears to be too much damage now.....

Hasn’t the exterior had Grade 11 listed status- or just wishful thinking ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Andybellwood said:

Hasn’t the exterior had Grade 11 listed status- or just wishful thinking ?

"Fraid not Andy - would be great if it was! I think The Ritz was considered for listing at some point, but for some reason it wasn't granted listed status. 😢

Edited by Kathryn Magson
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kathryn Magson said:

"Fraid not Andy - would be great if it was! I think The Ritz it was considered for listing at some point, but for some reason it wasn't granted listed status. 😢

Remember many a night queuing to get in . Where did it all fall apart?

Edited by Andybellwood
Social source share

Remember when Dj Tony (Mr Soul Banks) was mine host , being picked up on route on a regular basis by him & his wife Anne (now both sadly deceased), dancing the night away on the maple dance floor in great company and then heading back over to his pad in Leeds and listening/chatting about Records to 5/6 in the morning, then Tony would drop me back home about ten miles away just in time for breakfast...proper dedicated soulies and a venue which will indeed be sadly missed.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Kathryn Magson said:

I've just been into Brighouse this aft & went past The Ritz. The bulldozers haven't moved in yet, but there's all sorts of stuff piled up in the car park - it looks as though they're gutting the place before demolition. 😢

Oh dear. Shame the current owner isn’t being very transparent in their plans for the site?

Social source share

On 01/09/2023 at 16:52, Andybellwood said:

Oh dear. Shame the current owner isn’t being very transparent in their plans for the site?

When we looked round The Ritz a couple of weeks ago, I think the person that showed us around was the owner (or co-owner). She told us that they had tried absolutely everything they could think of - the local council to see if any help was available - reduced rates etc - heritage funding had also been tried & refused - listed building status - but nothing was forthcoming. She seemed really frustrated & disappointed at the lack of response from the authorities - it must have cost the current owners a small fortune in rates & insurance alone to keep things going while they tried for help with funding & that they had now run out of options. It was costing too much to keep on flogging the proverbial "dead horse" & now - sadly - demolition seems to be the only option. The place is in such a sad, sorry state that I reckon the cost of restoration would be prohibitive anyway. 😢

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Bit of an update on the Ritz......I went past it this afternoon - the place was all taped off & surrounded by police vans! My thoughts were later confirmed by a report in the local evening paper........somebody has been using the building to grow something they shouldn't have been growing.........

I'm surprised the place is still standing - the way the owner was talking last year, it sounded as though the bulldozers would be moving in the following week! So sad to see what was once such a cracking venue come to this 😢

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!