70's Dancers

Guest mel brat

I'm Gonna Get Your Love - charles jackson - capitol

16048 refosoul

A bit tricky to pick up on 7" but not expensive.

The album that this was taken from is fabulous too! Far better than his first one I think, with both 70's dancers and soulful ballads aplenty. I think this came out on US 12" also, and Capitol UK imported a loads of copies of the album in 1979 I recall, but it wasn't released here otherwise. Highly recommended!

(For those who don't know, Charles (Chuck) Jackson was formerly a member of 70's The Independants, very highly rated at the time for their soulful ballads. The group Independant Movement on Polydor of "Slipping Away" fame are the remainder of the group after Jackson left apparently!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• Replies 119
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest mel brat

Derek, used to play t'other side at Absott/Newbury, since flipped it couple o years ago & what a splendid choon, adds a completely different dimension to the backing track IMO...........fantastic choice my friend & one that deserves more action methinks.

Kick ass dancefloor soul with an attitude & them some.

Russ

Lee Fields "Take me back" (Angle 3)

Yes, it's me as usual, reminding everyone that Lee Fields was another Mecca spin in 1975! rolleyes.gif:unsure:

Great tips so far! Keep it up!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

great choon......and here's the picture sleeve

I picked up this Honey Cone side "blind" back in the day and loved it! I tried to get 'em to give it a spin, but nobody was interested then, perhaps because Honey Cone had gone out of fashion somewhat by 1973/4, or more likely the record wasn't considered to be "rare" enough. Perhaps now is the time for a rethink? - I've never seen the picture sleeve though!

I agree that "Somebody Is Always Messing Up A Good Thing" is worth a play or two also. (Very like the Emotions on that one!)

(...and Edna Wright is none other than Sandy Wynns of course, so no excuses!)

https://www.answers.com/topic/edna-wright

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

VERNON BURCH - FRAME OF MIND

CRYSTAL MOTION - YOUR'E MY MAIN SQUEEZE

SANDRA RICHARDSON - STAY HERE WITH ME

And Vernon Burch "I'll Be Your Sunshine" from the album...?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Keep On Running Away - bits'n pieces - nasco

16071 refosoul

....they don't come much better than this mutha!

No they sure don't! - This is still in my "best box" after 31 years! (Oh! the memories!)

Fantastic, Terrific, Amazing etc. etc.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

If anyone would like to send me 70's Cds - I'll love you forever thumbsup.gif

I'm picturing skinny youths literally bouncing around on sprung dancefloors....

Social source share

What about 7ts instrumentals ????. I came across my copy of Disco Connection by the Isaac Hayes Movement the other day & gave it a spin, it sounds dated these day's & probably isnt right for today, but what made me smile to myself was the fact that I knew this record from Mr M's !!!!. Never really remember hearing it anywhere else since either. So it was a big oldie the first time I ever heard it !.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

What about 7ts instrumentals ????. I came across my copy of Disco Connection by the Isaac Hayes Movement the other day & gave it a spin, it sounds dated these day's & probably isnt right for today, but what made me smile to myself was the fact that I knew this record from Mr M's !!!!. Never really remember hearing it anywhere else since either. So it was a big oldie the first time I ever heard it !.

Russ

Liberty... Girl You better Wake Up

Pop A Groove...Dance your Ass Off :dance:

Social source share

Russ

Funny isn't it, it used to stop Wigan dead at the height of it's plays - first record to use a straight up 'scratch' noise in it that I can think of too.

Cracker!!

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Spring Rain - silvetti - salsoul

16115 refosoul

Edited by Neil-ok
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Who is this love affair posted on here, the song clip has a female singer but only love affair i know of was the 60's group who actually were a mod band and recorded a version of 60 minutes of your love.

The band to me are one of the best but can't imagine too many soul fans liking them.

a song which i think would be great today is Alex Brown's version of Love Really Hurts Without You. it's much better then Billy Ocean's version

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Who is this love affair posted on here, the song clip has a female singer but only love affair i know of was the 60's group who actually were a mod band and recorded a version of 60 minutes of your love.

The band to me are one of the best but can't imagine too many soul fans liking them.

a song which i think would be great today is Alex Brown's version of Love Really Hurts Without You. it's much better then Billy Ocean's version

This is an American group with the same name from the 'Seventies. Fantastic record that would have been formerly regarded as a semi-ballad! My kind of music. (The song has the same backing track as Bobby McClure "You Bring Out The Love In Me" on UK Island by the way, which is equally magnificent)

Paul, you're thinking of the UK Love Affair of "Everlasting Love" fame/imfamy (depending on your point of view!) I actually bought their version of that song though (originally done by Robert Knight), so I remember them with some affection...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Liberty... Girl You better Wake Up

Pop A Groove...Dance your Ass Off :dance:

"Dance your ASS off, 'Frisco Disco..." ha ha!

This was originally brought back by Ian Levine I think (from San Fancisco presumably!) and it was especially recorded to promote a particular discotheque there. I think initially there were only demo copies for that reason, with the "ass" word censored out by a "beep" on the other side!

(Though I can't imagine a Radio station in the Bible belt picking up on it whatever steps they took to make it more palatable!)

Blackpool Mecca monster in 1976 naturally, as was Jobell & his Orchestra, Isaac Hayes, Liberty (in 1975) - and Bits n' Pieces, Lee Fields and Magic Night too! - while L. J. Johnson was an Ian Levine production of course. Enchantment are one of my favourite groups from the period, and I suspect that was spun at Blackpool as well as a new release. It was certainly known.

(Y'all should join my imaginary "Mecca Appreciation Society" - I could do with the moral support!) :rolleyes:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Tell Me That I'm Wrong - blood sweat & tears - columbia

16100 refosoul

Heres one from a great Funk band that i have been playing out lately, i reckon it's a great crossover style 45. cheers Ruffsounds

More of a jazz rock band rather than funk, but good record thats had a few plays in recent years.

Social source share

This was originally brought back by Ian Levine I think (from San Fancisco presumably!) and it was especially recorded to promote a particular discotheque there. I think initially there were only demo copies for that reason, with the "ass" word censored out by a "beep" on the other side!

(Though I can't imagine a Radio station in the Bible belt picking up on it whatever steps they took to make it more palatable!)

Blackpool Mecca monster in 1976 naturally, as was Jobell & his Orchestra, Isaac Hayes, Liberty (in 1975) - and Bits n' Pieces, Lee Fields and Magic Night too! (Y'all should join my imaginary "Mecca Appreciation Society" - I could do with the moral support!)

All the above were big records at Samanthas and Cleethorpes as well, after the intial Mecca plays. Due to Frank and John Vincents open minded outlook.

Social source share

(Y'all should join my imaginary "Mecca Appreciation Society" - I could do with the moral support!) :D

it wasnt actually a record to promote the club it was their theme tune kind of like a 3 before 8 type of thing i suppose.

i once asked a gay friend of mine who lived in s.f at the time what the dance your ass off was like his reply was 'i put my head in the door once but it was straight straight straight so i left' so i never got to find out laugh.gif though i remember black echoes printed a picture once.

mel brat ill join your imaginary mecca appreciation society :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

it wasnt actually a record to promote the club it was their theme tune kind of like a 3 before 8 type of thing i suppose.

i once asked a gay friend of mine who lived in s.f at the time what the dance your ass off was like his reply was 'i put my head in the door once but it was straight straight straight so i left' so i never got to find out :D though i remember black echoes printed a picture once.

mel brat ill join your imaginary mecca appreciation society :rolleyes:

I was basing my comments on something I read back in 1976/77 and haven't read since, and even MY awesome memory for dross and trivia ain't that reliable! biggrin.gif

I'll send you an imaginary membership card for the IMAS when I don't get them printed.

(Don't forget - the first 50 members of IMAS get this wonderful imaginary SOUL PATCH absolutely FREE, which you can sew onto your invisible bag and will probably be able to auction on ebay for ££££ in 30 years time...or not)

post-4950-1173835060_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Spring Rain - silvetti - salsoul

16115 refosoul

Remember all those Spanish P/S of this going around at Wigan when this was a rather large choon !!!!.

Russ

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Remember all those Spanish P/S of this going around at Wigan when this was a rather large choon !!!!.

Russ

Just recently had a conversation about Silvetti on 12"s thread. I'd always assumed he was Italian, probably because of his name - but apparently he was Argentinian! Yet another Blackpool Mecca tune from 1977 (Sorry, I just can't stop doing that!)

One forgotten instrumental from... well, you know where, was The Gaturs "Yeah You're Right, You Know You're Right" (GATUR)

Also known as "A Hunk Of Funk" because the first batch to turn up had the labels reversed(!) it's a great piano led instrumental which could have been tailor made for the Highland Room, but wasn't. Spun towards the end of 1975 if my memory serves, or perhaps early '76, I haven't heard it played since! (apart from my own which I got from Soul Bowl, naturally) However I noticed that it's recently been issued as part of a compilation CD of Gatur recordings which also includes several in-demand Willie Tee sides.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Just recently had a conversation about Silvetti on 12"s thread. I'd always assumed he was Italian, probably because of his name - but apparently he was Argentinian! Yet another Blackpool Mecca tune from 1977 (Sorry, I just can't stop doing that!)

One forgotten instrumental from... well, you know where, was The Gaturs "Yeah You're Right, You Know Your're Right" (GATOR)

Also known as "A Hunk Of Funk" because the first batch to turn up had the labels reversed(!) it's a great piano led instrumental which could have been tailor made for the Highland Room, but wasn't. Spun towards the end of 1975 if my memory serves, or perhaps early '76, I haven't heard it played since! (apart from my own which I got from Soul Bowl, naturally) However I noticed that it's recently been issued as part of a compilation CD of Gatur recordings which also includes several in-demand Willie Tee sides.

Curtis used to play it last hour & call it "Hunk Of Funk" - quality instrumental.

Social source share

2 class tunes for me at the mecca was -Norma Jenkins - Can you imagine that -on Desert Moon

and - Esther Williams - You gotta let me show you - Friends & co

Love both of these - also quite partial to "Last Night Changed It All" by Ms Williams - far better than her swimming films I think you will find. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

I like to get near you - richard caiton - up tight

16061 refosoul

My favourite tune - period.

thanks for posting this!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Love both of these - also quite partial to "Last Night Changed It All" by Ms Williams - far better than her swimming films I think you will find. :thumbsup:

Oooh, I liked "her swimming films" :thumbsup:

"Last Night Changed It All" is the flip side to "You Got To Let Me Show You" (Mecca again, 1976!) - so you get both for the price of one!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

2 class tunes for me at the mecca was -Norma Jenkins - Can you imagine that -on Desert Moon

and - Esther Williams - You gotta let me show you - Friends & co

How come you never hear Willie Hobbs' "Till I Get It Right" (played 1974) anymore?

One of my all-time faves was/is this one, both vocal and instrumental, which appears to be "too funky" for some nowadays. (Even Ian Levine had forgotten all about playing it!) I think it still sounds brilliant, though perhaps I'd be the only one on the dancefloor (not for the first time!):

post-4950-1173904765_thumb.jpg

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...i&img=20714

Also from the same period Clyde Brown "You Call Me Back" (ATLANTIC) sums up the sheer quality of records spun at the Mecca in those far off days. Imagine the impact today if this were a "newly discovered" side!

Deniece Chandler (Later to become better known as Deniece Williams!) "Mama, I Wish I'd Stayed At Home" (LOCK), first heard alongside Bobby Hutton and World Column in mid-1975.

Flora Wilson "Dancing On A Daydream" (Soulvation Army) 1974. Beautiful sound that oozes nostalgia for lost Summers, and that you rarely hear the likes of. The instrumental version by the wonderfully named Soulvation Army Band got most, if not all, of the action. But why?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

How come you never hear Willie Hobbs' "Till I Get It Right" (played 1974) anymore?

One of my all-time faves was/is this one, both vocal and instrumental, which appears to be "too funky" for some nowadays. (Even Ian Levine had forgotten all about playing it!) I think it still sounds brilliant, though perhaps I'd be the only one on the dancefloor (not for the first time!):

post-4950-1173904765_thumb.jpg

==========

never liked danny hunt...love willie hobbs but not heard since keele days...got a nice gold issue of this..

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Blackpool Mecca tune from 1977 (Sorry, I just can't stop doing that!)

One forgotten instrumental from... well, you know where, was The Gaturs "Yeah You're Right, You Know You're Right" (GATOR)

Surprised they ever had the time to play the same record twice as it seems every record ever played on the scene was first played at the Mecca :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Surprised they ever had the time to play the same record twice as it seems every record ever played on the scene was first played at the Mecca :D:thumbsup:

Yes, in regard to The Wigan and Cleethorpes 70's playlists, it DOES seem that way doesn't it??! :thumbsup:

(Dispute it at your peril!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Ramses Theme - ramses ballet - rkm

16097 refosoul

70s instrumentals... how about this one... better known perhaps as the instrumental to The Two Man Sound's "Que Tal America". Sounds amazing over a good sound system!

post-1392-1173792420_thumb.jpg

My flabber has never been so ghasted. I never knew this record existed. Nice one Sebastian !

"This Love Affair' ...Gloria Gaynor ?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Love Knocked You Down - the nights - abc lp

16217 refosoul

(when you dropped your guard)....also on Little Star.....a Doris tune ..feets dont fail me now......

That "M" word springs to mind again (1976). And I ain't talkin' 'Mister Ms' ! laugh.gif:thumbsup:

(Honorary IMAS badge and membership card waiting for you if you want 'em)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

JACK IN A BOX - david morris jnr - buddah

16215 refosoul

The flip side of this ("Midnight Lady") make it a worthy double-header.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

What about 7ts instrumentals ????....

Here's one of my old favourites that I think would have gone down well (at that B.M. place anyway!), but has been completely overlooked to this day, as far as I know. Perhaps the peculiar title is offputting, but I think it's a more than worthy side. Semi-instrumental, and not so jazzy that it would overly upset anyone!

Taj Mahal - "Why, And We Repeat, Why..." (COLUMBIA) 1976

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Here's one of my old favourites that I think would have gone down well (at that B.M. place anyway!), but has been completely overlooked to this day, as far as I know. Perhaps the peculiar title is offputting, but I think it's a more than worthy side. Semi-instrumental, and not so jazzy that it would overly upset anyone!

Taj Mahal - "Why, And We Repeat, Why..." (COLUMBIA) 1976

instrumentals

how about tradewinds - strange, another mecca one

can i have a membership please

Social source share

Good on yer platters81

The Nights - Love Knocked You Down!!

Fantastic.

Got a great picture at home of Levine and Curtis on stage at the Mecca circa 1975ish. In the box behind them you can clearly see The Nights on an import single. Used to have a copy of said single but it's gone now.

While we are talking about 70s stormers - what about Dee Dee Sharp - Happy Bout The Whole Thing (TSOP).WOW!!!

Hardly ever played even back in the day. Hope she does it at Prestatyn.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Good on yer platters81

Fantastic.

Got a great picture at home of Levine and Curtis on stage at the Mecca circa 1975ish. In the box behind them you can clearly see The Nights on an import single. Used to have a copy of said single but it's gone now.

While we are talking about 70s stormers - what about Dee Dee Sharp - Happy Bout The Whole Thing (TSOP).WOW!!!

I think the whole Dee Dee Sharp album is fabulous, and "Happy Bout The Whole Thing" is a lot longer too! (plus it's still quite cheap!)

(Can you post that picture up for us?)

PS. welcome to IMAS mark.b and davenowell...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Mar 15 2007, 11:23 AM) link
instrumentals

"The Stranger" - C Henry Woods Troupe - another weird & wonderful instrumental played somewhere along Central Drive.

"Sex Trip" - Crown Heights Affair

"What Makes Her A Woman" - Danny Reed (Voc & Instr.)

Social source share

=======

hi kirsty

ive just compiled my 16th 70's and 80's CD...

let me know if want some copies

regards

mark

thanks luvvie

will PM you :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think the whole Dee Dee Sharp album is fabulous, and "Happy Bout The Whole Thing" is a lot longer too! (plus it's still quite cheap!)

(Can you post that picture up for us?)

PS. welcome to IMAS mark.b and davenowell...

I would, mate, if I knew how!! :thumbsup:

I'm at work now. Will see if someone with a brain can guide me through it tonight.

Same pic is also in my book Too Darn Soulful - it was kindly donated to me by Colin himself. It literally came off the wall of his house in Stoke. After trying for years to return it to him, he said we could keep it!

Dave

Social source share

Good on yer platters81

Fantastic.

DITTO :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

cool.gif -->
QUOTE(mark.b @ Mar 15 2007, 11:23 AM) link
<!--quotec-->instrumentals

"The Stranger" - C Henry Woods Troupe - another weird & wonderful instrumental played somewhere along Central Drive.

"Sex Trip" - Crown Heights Affair

"What Makes Her A Woman" - Danny Reed (Voc & Instr.)

Yes, the man was obviously there! (Collect your imaginary patch from the management!)

"The Stranger" still sounds great, especially the long guitar break (which is very reminiscent of that on "Find My Way" by The Players/Cameo).

"Sex Trip" (played 1975) is on their RCA album - ("Streakin" had been played a month or two earlier on 45, - much to the disgust of Soul Sam I recall!) Remember him slagging it off in Black Music magazine? :rolleyes:

I still have a copy of Danny Reed, (naturally!) but it's almost completely forgotten now.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Yes, the man was obviously there! (Collect your imaginary patch from the management!)

"The Stranger" still sounds great, especially the long guitar break (which is very reminiscent of that on "Find My Way" by The Players/Cameo).

"Sex Trip" (played 1975) is on their RCA album - ("Streakin" had been played a month or two earlier on 45, - much to the disgust of Soul Sam I recall!) Remember him slagging it off in Black Music magazine? :rolleyes:

I still have a copy of Danny Reed, (naturally!) but it's almost completely forgotten now.

i still have my copy of danny reed and of other mecca plays california playboys album a colin play, and lots of others too numerous to think about.

i will sport my imaginary membership with pride,

i was indeed there from 1973 till it finished, blackpool mecca and sale mecca were my favourites also tiffany's in newcastle the stoke one on a sunday night with colin curtis.

mark

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Mar 15 2007, 09:30 PM) link
i still have my copy of danny reed and of other mecca plays california playboys album a colin play, and lots of others too numerous to think about.

i will sport my imaginary membership with pride,

i was indeed there from 1973 till it finished, blackpool mecca and sale mecca were my favourites also tiffany's in newcastle the stoke one on a sunday night with colin curtis.

mark

GOOD STUFF MARK WENT TO MECCA AND NEWCASTLE BUT NEVER MADE THE BLUE ROOM BUT DAVE'ZOONIE'BROWN USED TO GIVE US THE LOW-DOWN ON WHAT WAS PLAYED BRINGING BACK LOADS OF STUFF HE'D BOUGHT THEN WE'D TRY AND BUY IT OFF HIM.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert