70's Dancers

I really like some of the slightly more funky 7ts/8ts tunes that are coming thru these days Ellipsis/Ice/Mixed Emotions etc etc. I dont like straight up funk its not really my bag.........but if it has a good soul vocal & its not too syncopated then Im all for it. Got me to thinking that over the years there have been some fantastic 7ts tunes played on the scene, but other than the really obvious, we dont seem to talk about these as much as the 6ts tunes.

I was listening to Jobell and the Orchestra De Salsa - Never Gonna Let You Go - Jan & I think that it really stands up to todays more recent 7ts/8ts discoveries, what do you think ??????? What are your favourite forgotten 7ts/8ts dancers...........no crossover kids, staight up dancers.

BTW I cant do sound files so would appreciate it if any one could add a sound file of the Jobell for me, thank you.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 119
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bogue

I really like some of the slightly more funky 7ts/8ts tunes that are coming thru these days Ellipsis/Ice/Mixed Emotions etc etc. I dont like straight up funk its not really my bag.........but if it has a good soul vocal & its not too syncopated then Im all for it. Got me to thinking that over the years there have been some fantastic 7ts tunes played on the scene, but other than the really obvious, we dont seem to talk about these as much as the 6ts tunes.

I was listening to Jobell and the Orchestra De Salsa - Never Gonna Let You Go - Jan & I think that it really stands up to todays more recent 7ts/8ts discoveries, what do you think ??????? What are your favourite forgotten 7ts/8ts dancers...........no crossover kids, staight up dancers.

BTW I cant do sound files so would appreciate it if any one could add a sound file of the Jobell for me, thank you.

Russ

If you like em a bit funky you might like this one by Marva Whitney that i put up in a thread a while back Russ.

12504 refosoul

Another old favourite of mine along those lines is 'Bobby Franklin's - Ladies Choice'

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

If you like em a bit funky you might like this one by Marva Whitney that i put up in a thread a while back Russ.

12504 refosoul

Another old favourite of mine along those lines is 'Bobby Franklin's - Ladies Choice'

Great tune buddy, lets have a few more.................Sean H you must have a plethora of forgotten 7ts gems ???.

Russ

Social source share

I'm Gonna Get Your Thing (Get You) - lee harris - forte

16047 refosoul

Here's an alternative version of the Marva Whitney tune, with different lyrics and vocals by Lee Harris instead. I think the Lee Harris take on this backing track is the best one out there, it was re-used at least 5 times by different artists on the Forte label. Lee Harris put out a tune called "I'm Gonna Get You" on SWAN under the name of Leroy Harris which has got the same lyrics as in this clip but a very different backing track.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Paradise - Jewel - Jewel productions

16053 refosoul

From 1981 - but sounds more 70s

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Russ

Hiya Russ,

Was gonna put up soundfile of Jobell up for you but it's already been done. The track has certainly 'got it'. Dolly has a copy and it's one of those sounds that 'infects' you - In fact, it's now stuck on repeat in my brain...AAARRRRGHHHH - Turn it off!!!!

Here's one for ya - will post a soundfile later when I get home.

Ronnie 'Loveman' Stokes - "Touch You Again" - Philly City

Murderous pace for the dance floor at my age but hell of a tune!!

ATB, Neil Jones thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hiya Russ,

Was gonna put up soundfile of Jobell up for you but it's already been done. The track has certainly 'got it'. Dolly has a copy and it's one of those sounds that 'infects' you - In fact, it's now stuck on repeat in my brain...AAARRRRGHHHH - Turn it off!!!!

ATB, Neil Jones thumbsup.gif

Was posted up a while back Neil,

Here's the link

Social source share

What a varied selections of sounds in this thread....many of which...i can remember first time around!!!!...but nevertheless some still sounding as fresh as spring tulips..bringing back some good long forgotten memories...Magic Night.one of my all time favs....right get digging them 70s gems out okay...and all those listening..get rating....please....right as you were troops..Delxxxx

Social source share

Seven The Loser - eric lomax - columbia

16030 refosoul

Jesusssssssssssssss........................forgotten what a fantastic choon this is, thats the essence of a great oldie I spose, cant remember the last time I heard this played out to be honest.............great choice.

Russ

Social source share

Hiya Russ,

ATB, Neil Jones :thumbsup:

Outstanding tune Neil.............anyone have a current price for this pse & availability (need one.anyone ???).

Big thanks to everyone posting on the thread, some great tunes, you could do an awesome set from some of the tunes posted. Please keep em coming, real interesting stuff & as already observed earlier a lot of this stuff sounds sooooo fresh now.

What about Deliah Moore on Middle earth, fantastic fogotten Mecca tune ( need one of these too ). Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but can anyone post a sound file, this beaut definitely has loads of spins left in it.

Im sure that there are other SS members who have an opinion of the relevance of these tunes today & also there own favourites, so lets hear them guy's n gal's.

Would you enjoy a set of this kinda of up tempo 7ts/8ts in the main room at a Nighter ????..............I think I would TBH..........not all night but either mixed in or one or two DJ's that play this kinda thing thru out the night would be good.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Outstanding tune Neil.............anyone have a current price for this pse & availability (need one.anyone ???).

Big thanks to everyone posting on the thread, some great tunes, you could do an awesome set from some of the tunes posted. Please keep em coming, real interesting stuff & as already observed earlier a lot of this stuff sounds sooooo fresh now.

What about Deliah Moore on Middle earth, fantastic fogotten Mecca tune ( need one of these too ). Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but can anyone post a sound file, this beaut definitely has loads of spins left in it.

Im sure that there are other SS members who have an opinion of the relevance of these tunes today & also there own favourites, so lets hear them guy's n gal's.

Would you enjoy a set of this kinda of up tempo 7ts/8ts in the main room at a Nighter ????..............I think I would TBH..........not all night but either mixed in or one or two DJ's that play this kinda thing thru out the night would be good.

Russ

Ronnie Stokes. Think the recent copy on Manship's went comparatively 'cheaply' - about £125 (?) - has been known to go for twice that

I was toying with selling mine recently as I did a re-edit to 'fix' the dodgy intro - and fit it on a 7" :thumbsup: . Memories of Deep Funk for me in this one - we were pretty spoilt in the last hour with stuff of this ilk in those days :thumbsup:

Our lad Peter plays that Deliah Moore sometimes - magnificent record that one

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

that's what's needed...more members participation and appreciation :thumbsup:

Im sure that there are other SS members who have an opinion of the relevance of these tunes today & also there own favourites, so lets hear them guy's n gal's.W

Russ

Yes..i totally agree...keep playin them choons...... don't be shy peeps.... :thumbsup: Delxx

Social source share

SIR HENRY IVY indeed .....not that easy to find anymore......all came from mr fenn or mr godfrey if i remember correctly! along with family of eve...

ace tunes chunkster! :thumbsup:

Wouldn't expect anything less from a Northampton Soul man..... eh Val :thumbsup: .... killa dilla choons....Delxx

Social source share

Ronnie Stokes. Think the recent copy on Manship's went comparatively 'cheaply' - about £125 (?) - has been known to go for twice that

I was toying with selling mine recently as I did a re-edit to 'fix' the dodgy intro - and fit it on a 7" :thumbsup: . Memories of Deep Funk for me in this one - we were pretty spoilt in the last hour with stuff of this ilk in those days :thumbsup:

Our lad Peter plays that Deliah Moore sometimes - magnificent record that one

Cheers J.................

Russ

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Well - that's it from me for tonight, going to power down and watch a bit of telly.

Back soon with some more I hope - I'll have a rummage through some of the 70s stuff bought way back when that haven't seen light of day for years - never know what I might dig up!!

Cheers

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

played Lee Fields' "Take me back" in the DDA room @ Lowton last Friday and 2 people asked me what it was. Angle 3 is the label and it's rather wonderful in my mind.

onwards, derek

Derek, used to play t'other side at Absott/Newbury, since flipped it couple o years ago & what a splendid choon, adds a completely different dimension to the backing track IMO...........fantastic choice my friend & one that deserves more action methinks.

Kick ass dancefloor soul with an attitude & them some.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!