Brenton Wood

57 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Love this track off the above CD, also done by Major Lance.

Got a seventies Miami groove to it.

I always play this when I spin 70s stuff, not enough fuss made about it and actually tops the Majors performance. Actually ended up in a back and forth with someone on Facebook who said it was just a disco tune but Majors is more typically disco where Brendon’s is a proper soulful rendition.

One of his lesser known tunes I keep toying with getting a copy to play out is this… Really good RnB / 6Ts kinda thing.

Think he’s a bit overlooked really due to his pop success with some of the other tunes mentioned but have seen countless people say they covered up his tracks at little local clubs in the 70s…

Edited by Clee93
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Clee93 said:

I always play this when I spin 70s stuff, not enough fuss made about it and actually tops the Majors performance. Actually ended up in a back and forth with someone on Facebook who said it was just a disco tune.

It is on the pop side but hardly disco but sometimes I like to listen to records that just flow along and brighten the day especially on a summers day.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Clee - your last para sums it up. I was 18 years old in 1969 and just got into Soul the previous year. Used to go to Locarno in Glasgow where “Gimme” was played incessantly by the in house band due to radio popularity. Being a teenage Soul extremist meant that Brenton got dumped until only a few years ago when I saw that cd on YouTube. Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks to everyone for seventies tips which I will play this weekend.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, David Meikle said:

Clee - your last para sums it up. I was 18 years old in 1969 and just got into Soul the previous year. Used to go to Locarno in Glasgow where “Gimme” was played incessantly by the in house band due to radio popularity. Being a teenage Soul extremist meant that Brenton got dumped until only a few years ago when I saw that cd on YouTube. Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks to everyone for seventies tips which I will play this weekend.

Yeah totally can see why as well, he is just outright fab though, properly has his own style where most of his stuff sounds similar to the last one you heard which makes it all the more infectious. Might not be the edgiest geezer but he is still touring by the looks of things which is great to see and I’ll be he still gives it some when he dances, can’t find it right now but there’s that ace video of him dancing on stage. Love to see it!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Very underrated West Coast singer. A great voice that has emotion and feeling rather than histrionics. His vocal on The Newports "Dixie women" is superb and I love "Cross the bridge" on Brent. Alfred Smith is still a legend around the West Coast club circuit.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/04/2024 at 12:10, Kesalocasoul said:

I particularly like his later sides, including "Better Believe It" (link attached), "Just Like The First Time" and the ballad "Bless Your Little Heart".  There was a great compilation called Better Believe It: The Cream Of The 70s Sides issued by Westside in 2000, which included the bizarrely titled "Watchin' Johnny Carson Thru' My Toes"

BetterBelieveIt2.thumb.jpg.bafa91485d29f027551439a0521911e2.jpg

One I bought, great record.

Peter

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!