Little Anthony

4 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Same source as the recent Arthur Prysock 45 , looks a decidedly iffy set-up to me but I'm sure someone knows different as they're both still available on D'cogs.

Oh yeah deffo looks crooked.

Social source share

Many thanks!

It does sound like Little Anthony. Yet in parts the vocals sound a bit too fast. Like it was speeded up. I'm not sure it's him.

Anyway, nice recording. But no Northern Soul appeal in my opinion. Like  right in the middle between Kiki Dee and Derek Martin

Social source share

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Many thanks!

It does sound like Little Anthony. Yet in parts the vocals sound a bit too fast. Like it was speeded up. I'm not sure it's him.

Anyway, nice recording. But no Northern Soul appeal in my opinion. Like  right in the middle between Kiki Dee and Derek Martin

Sounds like Mel Torme as well, around the time he did "Better Use Your Head" 1966

Social source share

Posted (edited)

That definitely sounds like Little Anthony, late in his career.  It sounds like New York songwriters, with a touch of Thom Bell & Linda Creed.  What made someone think it was a Canadian production?  

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

That definitely sounds like Little Anthony, late in his career.  It sounds like New York songwriters, with a touch of Thom Bell & Linda Creed.  What made someone think it was a Canadian production?  

Listed on Discogs as a Canadian pressing , not a Canadian production ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Woodbutcher said:

Listed on Discogs as a Canadian pressing , not a Canadian production ... :rolleyes:

I meant the pressing as the bootleg of Canadian origin , not the recording .I think a slight confusion, I said one seller on eBay claimed pressing of Canadian origin , another on Google says Sonic Wax . 

Social source share

6 hours ago, Robbk said:

3 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

I meant the pressing as the bootleg of Canadian origin , not the recording .I think a slight confusion, I said one seller on eBay claimed pressing of Canadian origin , another on Google says Sonic Wax . 

Same label as the made up Arthur Prysock "I Was A Boy" which is not Arthur but Allan Scott "You Were A Girl When I Needed A Woman" taken from his LP on Tower. All copies are for sale in the UK.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)

Here's the original sale of the acetate, from back in 2008:
https://www.popsike.com/Little-Anthony-Gourdine-On-A-Magic-Carpet-Ride/330218343808.html

The auction description was:

Little Anthony Gourdine (??) - On A Magic Carpet Ride .

Original UK 7" 45rpm "Unreleased" Single Sided Emidisc Acetate.

This Acetate came with a collection of others that were once the property of Mike Vickers. Mike Vickers was responsible for the arrangements on Kiki Dee's version of this track that was released in the UK on Fontana Records.

As far as I can ascertain apart from Kiki Dee's version of this, the only other version that is known of was recorded for Roulette Records in the USA by Derek Martin and that remained unreleased until recently. This appears to have been recorded for Demonstration purposes only and was sent to the UK on tape and then cut to this acetate for reference.

I'm not 100% sure the vocal is by Anthony Gourdine but it sounds just like him and I'd imagine this track would have been offered to him first as Teddy Randazzo and Victoria Pike wrote a huge amount of material for Little Anthony and The Imperials. The label and sleeve are stamped "Franklyn Boyd Music Ltd" who were Teddy Randazzo and Victoria Pike's Publishers in the UK.

In VG+ Condition.

little anthony.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Wakey , wakey , those details were posted up here on Wednesday ... :facepalm:

Judging by the posts made after yours on Wednesday, not everyone clicks on a refosoul link. It’s good to have all relevant info spelled out in a thread for clarity. But I can see how you think my post is redundant. 

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!