Silks-wellingborough Soul Night Last Night

Guest nubes

Guest nubes

Well what a plush setting for a soul night....the loverly comfy sofas was better than we have got at home....musically i really thought it was spot on...all the local DJs held their own against the guest DJs Mark Bicknell and John Manship. who really did play blinding spots...such a shame about the low numbers though...but despite this...there was still a good atmosphere. I must say that the one thing about the music threads on here is that it has broadened my mind and expanded my own knowledge about the varying styles within our scene...anyway i digress... after the Grand Finale of the Embankment Club... i felt that it is such a shame that a first night like this didn't see more in the way of local support....Nina, great chatting to my dear...hope to see you real soon...Mark.what a lovely long hug...was it good for you as well :secret: and Mark B....hope to see you South again..was nice to catch up with you though....one thing i know for sure...i wont be sitting on those sofas again...they were so comfy i was a bit reluctant to get off them!!!! by and large not a bad night at all...let's hope that there is more support in future because these guys deserve it....Delxx

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Tabs and myself both agreed that it was one of the best Soul nights we've been to for years , lovely little plush club , great company and some fantastic underplayed and super rare Soul , I left with a mile long mental wants list .Well done to all the DJ's for some inspirational sets , we'll def . be coming back again , Best Wishes ,Eddie

Thanks for your kind words guys! It does seem funny that most people there had travelled a good way and not so many local soulies. But hey, what a cracking night!

Many thanks to John Manship and Mark B. Not only was it a pleasure to listen to the ultimate tunes from you both but what nice guys! Hows your head this morning Mark?

I think it also proves that rare soul nights needn't be dull and dirgy. Like everyone else, I went away with a brain overload trying to take in the great sounds we heard. Everyone I spoke to said it was musically one of the best nights they had been to. As far as I'm concerned this makes it all worthwhile. After all we've got the Pemberton events for the big numbers! Roll on May 11th when we meet up with Woody and Dave Rimmer for what promises to be another cracker. Will post up a thread for that one soon!

Thanks again everyone, Steve B.

The music quality can only be described as excellent.

I didn't hear a bad sound all night.

Whilst the numbers were low they were an increase on the first Silk.

A venue with this type of music policy has the potential to become one of the greats.

It just needs supporting.

My memory is not as good as Eddie's so playlists would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

The tune that sticks in my head is The very next time, The Marlynns on Daran.

Currently up for auction on John's site but will probably go outside of my price range.

If anyone has an mp3 can the put it up or send it to me please.

Superb night al round and will definitely be back.

Great to meet everyone but especially Dave Greet who I haven't seen in a while.

Congratulations to Len and all who are involved in Silk.

Stick with it boys.

ATB

Tabs

Guest nubes

The music quality can only be described as excellent.

I didn't hear a bad sound all night.

Whilst the numbers were low they were an increase on the first Silk.

A venue with this type of music policy has the potential to become one of the greats.

It just needs supporting.

My memory is not as good as Eddie's so playlists would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

The tune that sticks in my head is The very next time, The Marlynns on Daran.

Currently up for auction on John's site but will probably go outside of my price range.

If anyone has an mp3 can the put it up or send it to me please.

Superb night al round and will definitely be back.

Great to meet everyone but especially Dave Greet who I haven't seen in a while.

with it boysCongratulations to Len and all who are involved in Silk.

Stick .

ATB

Tabs

Couldnt agree more darling..couldnt agree more :thumbsup: Delxxx

WHAT A BRILL NIGHT, ALTHOUGH AS WITH SO MANY GREAT VENUES NOWADAYS MUSICALLY NUMBERS DWINDLE ,BUT THOSE THAT WERE THERE WERE TREATED TO A REAL TREAT,A RARE APPEARANCE BY MR MANSHIP WHO PLAYED SOME STUNNING PIECES OF RARE WEST COAST SOUL OF THE HIGHEST ORDER AND 2 BLINDIN SPOTS BY MARK BICKNELL ABLY ASSISTED BY THE RESIDENTS JEM,STEVE,AND LEN IT'S A PITY SOME OF THE LOCAL SOULIES DON'T CHECK THIS OUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR MISSING ROLL ON THE NEXT ONE SEE YOU SOON WOODY

Thanks for your kind words guys! It does seem funny that most people there had travelled a good way and not so many local soulies. But hey, what a cracking night!

Many thanks to John Manship and Mark B. Not only was it a pleasure to listen to the ultimate tunes from you both but what nice guys! Hows your head this morning Mark?

I think it also proves that rare soul nights needn't be dull and dirgy. Like everyone else, I went away with a brain overload trying to take in the great sounds we heard. Everyone I spoke to said it was musically one of the best nights they had been to. As far as I'm concerned this makes it all worthwhile. After all we've got the Pemberton events for the big numbers! Roll on May 11th when we meet up with Woody and Dave Rimmer for what promises to be another cracker. Will post up a thread for that one soon!

Thanks again everyone, Steve B.

The fact that it's 5 in the afternoon and I've just got on here may give you a clue, Luther! wacko.gif Yea, was rather drunk, but what a cracking night! Musically bloody perfect and heard loadsa stuff that I kept saying "I don't know this, but I like it!" Loveley hug thanks Del and I apoligize for cracking the ribs of some young lady, esp as I can't remember who it was! I was in a huggy mood!

But well done to all the DJ's and personally, I'm not too bothered that the place isn't full of locals cos it felt like I was somewhere alot further away but without the hassle of travelling!

WHAT A BRILL NIGHT, ALTHOUGH AS WITH SO MANY GREAT VENUES NOWADAYS MUSICALLY NUMBERS DWINDLE ,BUT THOSE THAT WERE THERE WERE TREATED TO A REAL TREAT,A RARE APPEARANCE BY MR MANSHIP WHO PLAYED SOME STUNNING PIECES OF RARE WEST COAST SOUL OF THE HIGHEST ORDER AND 2 BLINDIN SPOTS BY MARK BICKNELL ABLY ASSISTED BY THE RESIDENTS JEM,STEVE,AND LEN IT'S A PITY SOME OF THE LOCAL SOULIES DON'T CHECK THIS OUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR MISSING ROLL ON THE NEXT ONE SEE YOU SOON WOODY

glad you all had a good night how about some playlists from the resident djs to see what rare and underplayed sounds the locals are missing

Edited by Tony Parker

Hi Tony Parker!!! (See you are reading) Glad Bedford went well. Hope you and a few others will come to the next Silks as I think you'll enjoy it. Shame about the clash, still it won't happen again!

Thanks peeps for messages of support for our music polocy, it was great to DJ to people who were all interested in hearing something a little different. As John said it's a bit like playing records in your living room to all ya mates.

Until next time,

Len.

Guest nubes

Hi Tony Parker!!! (See you are reading) Glad Bedford went well. Hope you and a few others will come to the next Silks as I think you'll enjoy it. Shame about the clash, still it won't happen again!

Thanks peeps for messages of support for our music polocy, it was great to DJ to people who were all interested in hearing something a little different. As John said it's a bit like playing records in your living room to all ya mates.

Until next time,

Len.

Are your sofas as soft and comfy???...if so...i will provide nibbles..you provide music... thumbsup.gif cya round Len's peeps okay :rolleyes: Delxx

Guest nubes

The fact that it's 5 in the afternoon and I've just got on here may give you a clue, Luther! wacko.gif Yea, was rather drunk, but what a cracking night! Musically bloody perfect and heard loadsa stuff that I kept saying "I don't know this, but I like it!" Loveley hug thanks Del and I apoligize for cracking the ribs of some young lady, esp as I can't remember who it was! I was in a huggy mood!

You bluebeard...that was me :D:rolleyes: the audacicty!!!!!!

But well done to all the DJ's and personally, I'm not too bothered that the place isn't full of locals cos it felt like I was somewhere alot further away but without the hassle of travelling!

here here hot lips :rolleyes:rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif Delxxx( bet thats frit ya)xx)

Guest nubes

Eight hours on trains and buses out of the last twenty four, just landed back home now and i'm totally whacked and i don't know how much more of these long haul gigs i can do and it's becoming really hard work but always a pleasure to play tunes to a small but mighty crowd, good company, Mr and Mrs Dopson are simply perfect hosts, thanks to Jem Britton for the booking, nice to see Eddie Hubbard, Tabs, Dave Greet, Andy and Paula Krane, Del, Maxine and Keith Woon, friends old and new, nice venue, good sound system, nice pint and a joy to play a few tunes alongside John Manship, Steve, Jem and Len, it's a shame that numbers were a little low but this seems to be a national problem basically down to the huge amount of events on week in week out, i do not envy anyone who has a go a promoting an event these days, i know i'm gonna space out my involvement and try and restore and refresh my interest in the scene, still have a passion for the tunes but keeping a positive atttidude towards attending and DJ'ing at venues is proving a little more difficult to sustain.

I did one 30 minute set and then a later 60 min set can't remember the running order but heres the selections as requested.

Roy (Cortez) Butler - A Dream - Boo

The Cashmeres - Don't Let The Door Hit You Back - Hem

The Cashmeres - Show Stopper - Hem

Oliver Joy - Keep Love Growing - Big Deal

Continental Showstoppers - "Not Too Young" - Seventy Seven DJ

The Stratoliners - What Do You Want With My Love - Federal

Minnie Jones and Minuettes - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar

Patti Austin - (I've Given) All My Love - Coral DJ

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me - Veep DJ

Four Tracks - Lie My Love For You - Mandingo

Jimmy Burns - I Really Love You - Erica

Silhouettes - Not Me Baby - Goodway Promotion

George Blackwell - Can't Lose My Head - Smoke

Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back - Alpha

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back - Up Look

The Constellations - I Don't Know About You - Gemini Star

Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love - Whip

Skip Jackson And The Shantons - I'm Onto You Girl - Dot-Mar

Lee Williams And The Cymbals - It's Everything About You (That I Love) Carnival

Freddie Houston - If I Had Known - Old Town DJ

The Hytones - "Bigger And Better" - A-Bet

Rufus Wood - Before 2001 - Espanola

Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember - Duke

The Hestitations - Wait A Minute - Kapp DJ

The Hestitations - She Won't Come Back - Kapp

Garland Green - Girl I Love You - Revue

Troy Dodds - TryMy Love - El Camino DJ

Ty Karim - You Really Made It Good To Me - Senator

Monique - If You Love Me (Show Me) Maurci

The Inspirations - You Wish Is My Command - Midas

Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB

Melvin Davis - Find A Quiet Place (And Be Lonely) Wheel City

Matthew Barnett - If Your Love Is Real - Puff

The Four Sonics - Eaiser Said Than Done - Sport

The Dynamics - Yes I Love You Baby - Top Ten

The O'Jays - I'll Never Forget You - Imperial DJ

The Masqyeraders - How - La Beat

Johnny Rodgers With The Nu Tones - Make A Change - Amon

Steve Mancha - Friday Night - Groovesville DJ

Seminoles - You Can Lump It - Mid Town

The Inverts - Time Will Change - Broadway DJ

it was a pleasure to do.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Pleasure to hear your spot.....my soul king...glad you have got home safe and sound..Delxx

As promised here are my play lists from last night.

Tony correct me if I'm wrong, but I sensed a bit of sarcasm in your last statement i.e - 'Let's see what the locals are missing'. I hope not mate as the rare soul scene is so small now , any back biting etc will make it implode and I for one will just through the towel in!

FIRST SET.

KING WILLIAMS - FIGHT FOR YOUR GIRL - M.G.M

THE MOMENTS - I WON'T DO ANYTHING - STANG

BULL AND THE MATADORS - IF YOU DECIDE - TODDLIN' TOWN

LITTLE HANK - TRY TO UNDERSTAND - SS7

THE LOVELITES - MY CONSCIENCE - LOVELITE

WILLIE TEE - FIRST TASTE OF HURT - GATUR

NANCY BUTTS - I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND - FLAMING ARROW

MAURICE JACKSON - LUCKY FELLOW - CANDLE LITE

MAXINE CRAYTON - DON'T TAKE YOUR LOVE - STEELTOWN

SHIRLEY WAHLS - I'M CRYING - KING

LARRY REYNOLDS - SWEET TOOTH - TRI-STAR

SECOND SET.

SONJI CLAY - I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I SEE MY BABY'S FACE - SONGEE

SEA SHELLS - QUIET HOME - VILLIGE

RUBY - FEMININE INGENUITY - TOKEN

SEPTEMBER JONES - I'M COMING HOME - KAPP

OTHELLO ROBINSON - SO IN LOVE - ERA

TOMMY FRONTERA - LEADING LADY - HI-LITE

THE EXITS - ANOTHER SUNDOWN IN WATTS - KAPP

DARROW FLETCHER - WHAT GOOD AM I WITHOUT YOU - JACKLYN

LIMITATIONS - I'M LONELY, I'M TROUBLED - BACONE

SUNDAY - AIN'T GOT NO PROBLEMS - ALTEEN

JO ANN GARRETT - A WHOLE NEW PLAN - CHESS

OTIS LEE - HARD ROW TO HOE - QUAINT

WALTER AND THE ADMIRATIONS - STOP - C/U

NICOLE WILLIS - IF THIS AIN'T LOVE - TIMMION

LAVERN BAKER - WRAPPED, TIED AND TANGLED - BRUNSWICK

THE PARISIANS - TWINKLE LITTLE STAR - DEMON HOT

THE EMBERS - FIRST TIME - J.C.P

Some rare, some not so rare - but all quality chunes!!!

Thanks again to John and Mark for coming down. John can certainly still 'Cut the Mustard!!!'

Len.

i was quoting woody who said the local soulies didnt know what they were missing so by posting playlists len it will help promote the venue

Guest nubes

As promised here are my play lists from last night.

Tony correct me if I'm wrong, but I sensed a bit of sarcasm in your last statement i.e - 'Let's see what the locals are missing'. I hope not mate as the rare soul scene is so small now , any back biting etc will make it implode and I for one will just through the towel in!

You Bloody Well Wont ohmy.gifblink.gif you have worked too bleeding hard to put a do on....you will not give up..Ma D has spoken :D .......Delxx

FIRST SET.

KING WILLIAMS - FIGHT FOR YOUR GIRL - M.G.M

THE MOMENTS - I WON'T DO ANYTHING - STANG

BULL AND THE MATADORS - IF YOU DECIDE - TODDLIN' TOWN

LITTLE HANK - TRY TO UNDERSTAND - SS7

THE LOVELITES - MY CONSCIENCE - LOVELITE

WILLIE TEE - FIRST TASTE OF HURT - GATUR

NANCY BUTTS - I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND - FLAMING ARROW

MAURICE JACKSON - LUCKY FELLOW - CANDLE LITE

MAXINE CRAYTON - DON'T TAKE YOUR LOVE - STEELTOWN

SHIRLEY WAHLS - I'M CRYING - KING

LARRY REYNOLDS - SWEET TOOTH - TRI-STAR

SECOND SET.

SONJI CLAY - I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I SEE MY BABY'S FACE - SONGEE

SEA SHELLS - QUIET HOME - VILLIGE

RUBY - FEMININE INGENUITY - TOKEN

SEPTEMBER JONES - I'M COMING HOME - KAPP

OTHELLO ROBINSON - SO IN LOVE - ERA

TOMMY FRONTERA - LEADING LADY - HI-LITE

THE EXITS - ANOTHER SUNDOWN IN WATTS - KAPP

DARROW FLETCHER - WHAT GOOD AM I WITHOUT YOU - JACKLYN

LIMITATIONS - I'M LONELY, I'M TROUBLED - BACONE

SUNDAY - AIN'T GOT NO PROBLEMS - ALTEEN

JO ANN GARRETT - A WHOLE NEW PLAN - CHESS

OTIS LEE - HARD ROW TO HOE - QUAINT

WALTER AND THE ADMIRATIONS - STOP - C/U

NICOLE WILLIS - IF THIS AIN'T LOVE - TIMMION

LAVERN BAKER - WRAPPED, TIED AND TANGLED - BRUNSWICK

THE PARISIANS - TWINKLE LITTLE STAR - DEMON HOT

THE EMBERS - FIRST TIME - J.C.P

Some rare, some not so rare - but all quality chunes!!!

Thanks again to John and Mark for coming down. John can certainly still 'Cut the Mustard!!!'

Len.

Choons....Choons..Choons...what more can you ask eh...looking forward to the next one already babes... i so needed a good night of northern and it was provided what with the very comfy seating...all i needed was some fancy crisps and guacamole and salsa dips then i wouldve been really happy. oh a a drop of cava..i think you could take a leaf from the Rugby soul nights and provide peeps with sweets and snacks.... :rolleyes: Delxx

i was quoting woody who said the local soulies didnt know what they were missing so by posting playlists len it will help promote the venue

Fair enough mate... As I said the rare soul scene's getting smaller all the time and we all need to work together. Hopefully have you DJing for me again at Silks next year?

Hi Mark,

Glad you got home ok, enjoyed talking b*llocks till the early hours...I finally feel like another cold one!!! See you around,

Len.

Guest nubes

..i think you could take a leaf from the Rugby soul nights and provide peeps with sweets and snacks.... :D Delxx

Welll.....what grub are you going to provide then :rolleyes:whistling.gif waiting..... whistling.gif Delxx

Fair enough mate... As I said the rare soul scene's getting smaller all the time and we all need to work together. Hopefully have you DJing for me again at Silks next year?

Hi Mark,

Glad you got home ok, enjoyed talking b*llocks till the early hours...I finally feel like another cold one!!! See you around,

Len.

Thanks Len, loved your company and yes we did talk some bollocks but it was good bollocks mate, took me four hours to get home, will defo see you around,

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thanks for all those that attended last night especially those who travelled, i have to say musically the night was sublime! to say the least , Mark Bicknell just so many great tunes and a great guy as well..respect to you sir....John Manship what can i say , dont think i have ever heard so many rounds of applause from a crowd even when they werent dancing....dissapointing numbers were a bit low but the crowd that were there were very enthusiastic and made a great atmosphere as a result ...thanks again!! :thumbsup:

As i have already touched upon it was very dissapointing there was not more local support....for crying out loud , how many times do Mark and John dj in Northants....where were all the moaners ...no decent nights on in the area etc...i know there was another similar night on not to far away , but frankly i think it bordered on shameful that more people did not attend this night or at least give it a try!

I understand that one of the reasons is due to a local conspiracy involving people that belong to the "who the f**k does Jem Brittin think he is" society (i know who you are guys).....so with this in mind i have decided to step down as promoter for this event Len will be carrying on........if you locals , cant or dont want to support me then at least support Len this is a great venue with much potential....Good Luck Len :D ........incidentley i am just Mr. Average who wanted to try and put some good nights on in the area....for those that were asking the question........will post playlist up for last night later.

A big thanks to all those that have and i hope will continue to support SILKS

Why the sudden intrest Tony , (think you were right the first time Len) you and the local "Soul Critics" aint shown a bit of intrest untill now, you could'nt even be bothered to post up one bit of encouragement on the thread leading up to this event, funny that was'nt it youself , Baz Bond and the like that were moaning at length and with great detail on this site about the lack of quality nights on in the area not so long a go :thumbsup: by the way if Baz is still hanging out of your a**e, please tell him thanks for all the kind words he has passed around locally about myself and tell him that i look forward to seeing him soon :D

I really hope you are all able to sort out your differences in the area, i had no idea there seems to be a problem and simply was asked to come down and play a few tunes which i was happy to do, i was a little shocked at the turn out to say the least but shit happens and you get on with it, the people that were there seemed to enjoy the night and from my perspective that's all that really matters, i think the only loser in the long run if there is conflict between rival factions in one area is the music, far better to perhaps unite the whole thing rather than clash, remember no one person or their ego is bigger than the music and i think now Jem has desided to step down that you can now all put this behind you, i don't know the full story here nor do i wish to as i don't really know any of you too well and at the end of the day i'm not too interested or bothered if you have some pesonal differences or problems but when this becomes public on here with a gig that i have been involved with from a DJ pespective then it makes me feel a little uneasy as i have no agenda other than being asked to DJ.

You really need to work this out guys as i'm sure you don't really need the hassel or bad vibes going on, i really hope you can put this situation to bed and move on.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Nothing to worry about with that playlist mate! Can't remember most of what I played as only warm up man for the main guys but did do a 15min 'cameo in the middle,

Keep on talking James Barnet

Take a chance on me Arabians

I didn't try Chubby and the Turnpikes

No part time love Martha Starr

Window shopping on girls avenue Vala-quons

Don't come running to me Sissie Houston

I'm in love with you Bobby Patterson

plus some nice R&B at the end.

Jem, very sad that it has to come to this but know exactly where you're coming from. Maybe we should all wear coloured ribbons 'Keep politics out of Northern Soul'. Just remember mate, it's only a small minority and it's refreshing to talk to the country's top guys who share our views and dislike of all the bitchiness!

Len, please pick up the baton and take Silk forward. The event and it's supporters deserve it!

Anyway Jem, you can come round and put the gloves on in the garage. Lets see how quick the hand speed is. I'll put the trainer on full speed to see if you can keep up! :thumbsup:

Hope you have recovered from your travels Mark, and really do hope to see you again soon mate! You and John M were a breath of fresh air!

Thats it from me. Cheers, Steve.

Nothing to worry about with that playlist mate! Can't remember most of what I played as only warm up man for the main guys but did do a 15min 'cameo in the middle,

Keep on talking James Barnet

Take a chance on me Arabians

I didn't try Chubby and the Turnpikes

No part time love Martha Starr

Window shopping on girls avenue Vala-quons

Don't come running to me Sissie Houston

I'm in love with you Bobby Patterson

plus some nice R&B at the end.

Jem, very sad that it has to come to this but know exactly where you're coming from. Maybe we should all wear coloured ribbons 'Keep politics out of Northern Soul'. Just remember mate, it's only a small minority and it's refreshing to talk to the country's top guys who share our views and dislike of all the bitchiness!

Len, please pick up the baton and take Silk forward. The event and it's supporters deserve it!

Anyway Jem, you can come round and put the gloves on in the garage. Lets see how quick the hand speed is. I'll put the trainer on full speed to see if you can keep up! :thumbsup:

Hope you have recovered from your travels Mark, and really do hope to see you again soon mate! You and John M were a breath of fresh air!

Thats it from me. Cheers, Steve.

Cheers Steve, good to meet you mate and thank you for your kind words, just recovered from the devil journey back home, took a little over four hours! just glad i've got a couple of days off work as that would be a little too much if i had to go in today...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Why the sudden intrest Tony , (think you were right the first time Len) you and the local "Soul Critics" aint shown a bit of intrest untill now, you could'nt even be bothered to post up one bit of encouragement on the thread leading up to this event, funny that was'nt it youself , Baz Bond and the like that were moaning at length and with great detail on this site about the lack of quality nights on in the area not so long a go :thumbsup: by the way if Baz is still hanging out of your a**e, please tell him thanks for all the kind words he has passed around locally about myself and tell him that i look forward to seeing him soon :D

:sleep3:

Give it a rest. no point in moaning about no local support, when you clash with a well established running night.

So come on, whats the score with the rest? start accusing me of shite like that wanna have good reason to back it up.

I don't know you personally and I have no interest in local "northants" politics, but some of the comments you have been directing at Baz and Tony all seem very childish and are doing the case for "Silks" no favours.

My question to you is, if you have such a problem with local soulies going to an alternative event in the local(ish) area on Saturday why did you book an event on the same night as an established well supported event? The dates for the Ath were posted on Soul Source long before any dates for Silks were announced. Did you check to see if there was any dos on that could be seen to clash?

Your opinion that because there is an event in a local area soulies from the area SHOULD attend, I find this very disturbing, people have the right to choose where they go and should not feel obliged to attend an event because it is in "their back yard" and will as they always have done, vote with their feet.

I know Hammie went to a great deal of trouble when booking dates for the Ath this year not to clash with anyone within the "local" area as he has no interest in upsetting any other promoters. And like Hammie and many others from the Bedford/Northants area I probably would of made the trip up the A6 to hear two well respected DJs such as Mark and John.

QoFxx

I don't know you personally and I have no interest in local "northants" politics, but some of the comments you have been directing at Baz and Tony all seem very childish and are doing the case for "Silks" no favours.

My question to you is, if you have such a problem with local soulies going to an alternative event in the local(ish) area on Saturday why did you book an event on the same night as an established well supported event? The dates for the Ath were posted on Soul Source long before any dates for Silks were announced. Did you check to see if there was any dos on that could be seen to clash?

Your opinion that because there is an event in a local area soulies from the area SHOULD attend, I find this very disturbing, people have the right to choose where they go and should not feel obliged to attend an event because it is in "their back yard" and will as they always have done, vote with their feet.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!! Please!!!

That's enough now! Just wanted to say Jem, along with me and Steve were just disappointed mainly for John Manship and Mark Bicknell as they deserved a better turn out. In saying this, lets face it there was a 'do' on Friday in Wellingborough and of course The Ath in Bedford the same night which was a very similar night so somewhere is bound to suffer. Hammie, bless him had Arthur Fenn on last year and only 30 people came (Due to clashes) No one can complain about clashes as we're all still putting on the events!!! - So with that in mind ALSO I don't want any part of 'bad vibes', I have decided to cancel the next 'SILK' night (Sat June 23rd)

I have also spoken with Jem and Steve and am now running 'SILKS' on my own. The next one will be Saturday August 25th with Dave Thorley, Roger Banks and now Pete Burton. I'd appreciate everyone's support in this as the music will be quality. (Also it's my 37th birthday!!!) - Hammie you are on the guest list mate!

Lets get back to what's important - The Music - we were disappointed with the turn out and maybe some people have thought Jem was putting too many events on etc, but honestly the guy just wanted a quality night so if anyone felt 'Put out' by him, please keep it to your self because honestly he had the best intensions and 'Bad vibes' can kill a night.

Anyway 'This thing of ours' is precious and needs looking after!!!

See you on 25th August!

Len.

"SILK" Rare Soul Nights Midland Road, Wellingborough Northants NN8 1HF NEXT RARE SOUL NIGHT Saturday 25th August 2007 GUEST DJS. FOR THE NIGHT- DAVE THORLEY, ROGER BANKS, PETE BURTON- PLUS RESIDENT LENNY DOPSON-FOR INFO CONTACT LEN 07970 361216 EMAIL len@ldfabrications.co.uk

I have`been watching the 2 threads for some time now and can honestly say that I have never heard anything like it before. I can't believe we have warring factions on the Northern soul scene and all in such a localised area. I would love to have made silks this past friday and have had an excitement about the event since seeing the first flyer, but due to circumstances beyond my control i could'nt, and now` I feel bad for it, following some of the comments regarding 'locals'. I have really enjoyed the local do's organised by all parties involved but this situation really needs sorting out or it will start turning people off.

Len, good on you for keeping silks on, i am sure if rivalries can be sorted, it will be a huge success as was the Embankment (apart from the management). thumbsup.gif

Please. Tony, Baz, Jem, Chrisseo and Steve, sort out your differences and make the Northamptonshire Northern scene a scene to be proud of. The following is not massive so lets all work together in keeping it ours! :thumbsup:

I have`been watching the 2 threads for some time now and can honestly say that I have never heard anything like it before. I can't believe we have warring factions on the Northern soul scene and all in such a localised area. I would love to have made silks this past friday and have had an excitement about the event since seeing the first flyer, but due to circumstances beyond my control i could'nt, and now` I feel bad for it, following some of the comments regarding 'locals'. I have really enjoyed the local do's organised by all parties involved but this situation really needs sorting out or it will start turning people off.

Len, good on you for keeping silks on, i am sure if rivalries can be sorted, it will be a huge success as was the Embankment (apart from the management). thumbsup.gif

Please. Tony, Baz, Jem, Chrisseo and Steve, sort out your differences and make the Northamptonshire Northern scene a scene to be proud of. The following is not massive so lets all work together in keeping it ours! :thumbsup:

I was going to reply but I just can't be bothered, I have PMd Jem and explained to him my thoughts, hopefully all is now put to bed, well it is as far as I am concerned and we can get on with enjoying ourselves.

QoFxx

I was going to reply but I just can't be bothered, I have PMd Jem and explained to him my thoughts, hopefully all is now put to bed, well it is as far as I am concerned and we can get on with enjoying ourselves.

QoFxx

Yep same here , thanks for reply to pm chrissieo ,think thats cleared that up...as you say onward thumbsup.gif

Top quote!!!! could not agree more with the sentiment of what you have said :thumbsup: ....all i and Steve have ever wanted to achieve is to contribute to a healthy scene in Northants, not be THE SCENE IN NORTHANTS , for those that have accused us of putting on events every where, here are the facts....stopped doing the events at Higham WMC last year because of managment issues , booked the Pemberton Centre Rushden , to continue these kind of nights in the meantime was approached by the Diamonds regards putting on some kind of soulnight there , we decided to give both the Pemberton and the Diamonds a try to see which suited best and have decided for various reasons the Pemberton came out tops ....so wont be holding anymore at the Diamonds and will only be doing 3 maybe 4 a year at the Pemberton trying to put the emphasis on a bigger across the board night....REF. SILKS the idea behind this was to continue on where the Embankment left off with the consent and involvement of Lenny Dopson + its the kind of night myself and Steve are keen to see prosper in ther area.......so add it up we actually now promote 1 event in the area + untill yesterday co promote another...take a look at other promoters in the area and see how many they are doing you will be suprised .....not that i am criticizing them its there choice etc.

Cheers Jem. I do not envy your role as a promoter, I much rather enjoy being the paying punter but do admire you all for doing it (without you all that I mentioned in my previous post we would'nt still be knackering ourselves out on a Friday/Saturday night, although with great pleasure! :thumbsup: !) I Have been regularly to both the Diamonds and the Pemberton and have to say that I really enjoyed all. Really looking forward to the 11th May! See you there.

Rob. thumbsup.gif

Why the sudden intrest Tony , (think you were right the first time Len) you and the local "Soul Critics" aint shown a bit of intrest untill now, you could'nt even be bothered to post up one bit of encouragement on the thread leading up to this event, funny that was'nt it youself , Baz Bond and the like that were moaning at length and with great detail on this site about the lack of quality nights on in the area not so long a go :thumbsup: by the way if Baz is still hanging out of your a**e, please tell him thanks for all the kind words he has passed around locally about myself and tell him that i look forward to seeing him soon :lol:

interesting words from someone who was not interested in the soul scene locally or otherwise until he started promoting 2-3 years ago

:lol: well, anyway......

what a fantastic nite I had, bloody hell!!!Mr manship , just totally blew my mind away, I have never heard such fantastic music, I just sat there , totally taking in the sounds, he played stuff, I think for the first time, sat nite, and it was a pleasure talking to him later.. :thumbsup:

mark bicknell..what a play list indeed, you made me dance, more sat nite, than I have all year, you said to me, that you could see that I like quality, yep I do, I appreciate it, in fact I respect it !!!! :lol: I will lookout for where you DJ, next , and I hope these guys have you back pretty soon.

Len, beautiful house beautiful wife, and some dam good pretty tunes aswell, same to jem and Luther, keep up the good work, its a quality nite, which I will come back to again and again, in fact their where more people there than the last time, it takes time to build a venue up, and its not easy . :lol:

It was great to meet Mark with the 2 a,s ? and the others as-well, I really had a great time, and look forward to the next one.I am not interested in the politics, I am only interested in the music, and as long as my enthusiasm lasts ,then so will I, keep going up and down the motorway to hear it, and to feel the buzz, so many venues , not enough time to go to them all. :P

thank you all for making us feel so welcome, and thats what I look for, that northern soul family, hospitality. :lol: mrs soulxx

interesting words from someone who was not interested in the soul scene locally or otherwise until he started promoting 2-3 years ago

Not gonna get into a public slanging match with you on this ,as you and the like have caused enough damage as it is , if you wanna take it further pm me or come and see me you know where i am, however think you have answered your own point , why wasnt i interested in what was going on locally 2 or 3 years ago.....answer not much was happening as i recall , but i did'nt feel the need to bad mouth events that were happening i just started my own....judging by numbers we have had at most subsequent events, seems i was'nt the only one feeling this way

Why dont you answer this question , T.Parker and others moan about lack of local do's playing "quality" rarer uynderplayed sounds , one gets put on at Silk and they cant even be bothered to say good luck! let alone attend....disgraceful!

Take it these kind words i've been passing about localy were aload of bolox then?

Do us a favour dont publicly make out im trying to sabotage your event with out posting any facts.

what a fantastic nite I had, bloody hell!!!Mr manship , just totally blew my mind away, I have never heard such fantastic music, I just sat there , totally taking in the sounds, he played stuff, I think for the first time, sat nite, and it was a pleasure talking to him later.. :thumbsup:

mark bicknell..what a play list indeed, you made me dance, more sat nite, than I have all year, you said to me, that you could see that I like quality, yep I do, I appreciate it, in fact I respect it !!!! :lol: I will lookout for where you DJ, next , and I hope these guys have you back pretty soon.

Len, beautiful house beautiful wife, and some dam good pretty tunes aswell, same to jem and Luther, keep up the good work, its a quality nite, which I will come back to again and again, in fact their where more people there than the last time, it takes time to build a venue up, and its not easy . :lol:

It was great to meet Mark with the 2 a,s ? and the others as-well, I really had a great time, and look forward to the next one.I am not interested in the politics, I am only interested in the music, and as long as my enthusiasm lasts ,then so will I, keep going up and down the motorway to hear it, and to feel the buzz, so many venues , not enough time to go to them all. :P

thank you all for making us feel so welcome, and thats what I look for, that northern soul family, hospitality. :lol: mrs soulxx

I have no 'Hesitation' get it? lol in thanking you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to meet you and play a few tunes you enjoyed which is basically what this DJ lark is all about, Len has invited me down sometime in the future which i will do no problem, i'm sure all the problems will be worked out very soon....John blew me away too and we could do with him DJ'ing on a far more regular basis nationwide...top top tunes and a top bloke, thanks again for your support and kind words, it means a lot.

Hope to see you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell

Take it these kind words i've been passing about localy were aload of bolox then?

Do us a favour dont publicly make out im trying to sabotage your event with out posting any facts.

You tell me Baz they were'nt my words ,havent implied any one has sabotaged any of my events just dissapionted that you were one of those moaning about the lack of quality do's locally and yet cant find it within yourself to give any support....why is that ?

Edited by jemco
Guest nubes

mark bicknell..what a play list indeed, you made me dance, more sat nite, than I have all year, you said to me, that you could see that I like quality, yep I do, I appreciate it, in fact I respect it !!!! :lol: I will lookout for where you DJ, next , and I hope these guys have you back pretty soon. Len, beautiful house beautiful wife, and some dam good pretty tunes aswell, same to jem and Luther, keep up the good work, its a quality nite, which I will come back to again and again, in fact their where more people there than the last time, it takes time to build a venue up, and its not easy . :thumbsup:

It was great to meet Mark with the 2 a,s ? and the others as-well, I really had a great time, and look forward to the next one.I am not interested in the politics, I am only interested in the music, and as long as my enthusiasm lasts ,then so will I, keep going up and down the motorway to hear it, and to feel the buzz, so many venues , not enough time to go to them all. :lol:

Totally agree with what you have said there babes....i am so sick of the constant backbiting...my hubbie Rob and i really enjoyed Silk after what was one of the most stressed weeks we had ever had...i was just happy to get out...the music didnt dissapoint at all...i am really pleased that i recognised quite a few tunes!!!!but most of all ii think that those people there really did enjoy it...no pretence at all and i am sorry that it has come to the next Silk being cancelled and people pulling out of promoting it...the scene is big enough for all of us....it doesnt belong to one faction or the other....just enjoy what we have..there will be a time that we are all unable to do that..and that will be a very sad day indeed.....Delxx

I have no 'Hesitation' get it? lol in thanking you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to meet you and play a few tunes you enjoyed which is basically what this DJ lark is all about, Len has invited me down sometime in the future which i will do no problem, i'm sure all the problems will be worked out very soon....John blew me away too and we could do with him DJ'ing on a far more regular basis nationwide...top top tunes and a top bloke, thanks again for your support and kind words, it means a lot.

Hope to see you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

oh you. I was not gonna meantion that. hesitations .lol. your more than welcome mark , not kind words , just the plain truth, I think you are brilliant, as for manship, yes I agree , he should dj nationwide, he said over the mike that he was a crap dj, not at all, he made my nite actually, I managed to locate a record that he said, he has only ever seen once or twice, and said the next day at home he was going to have look through his drawers,, ha ha ha a very lol ..to see if he can find the one he had, cant rememeber if he sold it :thumbsup: please tell me where you are due to dj next, if we can , we will come to support you..

Not gonna get into a public slanging match with you on this ,as you and the like have caused enough damage as it is , if you wanna take it further pm me or come and see me you know where i am, however think you have answered your own point , why wasnt i interested in what was going on locally 2 or 3 years ago.....answer not much was happening as i recall , but i did'nt feel the need to bad mouth events that were happening i just started my own....judging by numbers we have had at most subsequent events, seems i was'nt the only one feeling this way

Why dont you answer this question , T.Parker and others moan about lack of local do's playing "quality" rarer uynderplayed sounds , one gets put on at Silk and they cant even be bothered to say good luck! let alone attend....disgraceful!

let me verify in the 30 years ive known you i can count on one hand the number of times ive seen you at any local soul nights and never out of northants , until you started promoting you just were not interested in the 80s and 90 s i would send you tapes and also flyers for local events many of which were well attended did you ever show - dont think so , we all have a choice what venues we support but dont tell me its disgracefull because i dont support yours when i travel all over the country to support venues unlike yourself .

Guest gibber

You tell me Baz they were'nt my words ,havent implied any one has sabotaged any of my events just dissapionted that you were one of those moaning about the lack of quality do's locally and yet cant find it within yourself to give any support....why is that ?

sorry to hijack .

Felt that way with the Lel club mate .Just to much on .got to pick and choose. Simple , just cant get back to all of my favourites myself , love to , feel real guilty sometimes.

I do what most people do have great night put some good feedback on here.

Plan to go again but end up going some where else .

Someone recommended burnley to me on saturday. next on my list. its nothing personal its just the ways it is.

I will get to silks when i can.

let me verify in the 30 years ive known you i can count on one hand the number of times ive seen you at any local soul nights and never out of northants , until you started promoting you just were not interested in the 80s and 90 s i would send you tapes and also flyers for local events many of which were well attended did you ever show - dont think so , we all have a choice what venues we support but dont tell me its disgracefull because i dont support yours when i travel all over the country to support venues unlike yourself .

still not answering the rellevant question though are you , why moan about lack of quality dos in the area? then when one is promoted by myself Len and Steve do you not even offer a word of encouragment seems very odd to me.....ref 80s 90s etc. not rellevant if someone chooses not to go out thats up to them , did'nt hear me criticising any of them though did you.....the fact you travel up and down the country and i dont is again not rellevant the subject of this thread is a local do at Silks

thank you all for making us feel so welcome, and thats what I look for, that northern soul family, hospitality. :P mrs soulxx

Lovely to meet you too Mrs Soul! We had a good night didn't we? :lol: I gutted that the next one has been cancelled because I really like everthing about Silks.