• Replies 26
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest mel brat

Can anyone confirm which is the original US release? Marc? White Whale?

cheers

Lofty

I always believed that Marc was the original label, but I notice that Pat Brady currently has a copy on White Whale listed as such...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I always believed that Marc was the original label, but I notice that Pat Brady currently has a copy on White Whale listed as such...

It's miles rarer on WW than it is on Marc, but Marc is most definitely the first label - by about 5-6 years! Sorry, Pat...

Social source share

It's miles rarer on WW than it is on Marc, but Marc is most definitely the first label - by about 5-6 years! Sorry, Pat...

You beat me to it Tony, no prizes for this quiz though , it was easy .....

Let's continue this thread on a different tack , how about worthy cover versions of "Harlem Shuffle" ?

I'll start with the Traits version on Garrison :huh: also released Down Under on a beautiful Scepter 45

(PS Please nobody mention Mick Jagger ... :thumbup: )

Social source share

You beat me to it Tony, no prizes for this quiz though , it was easy .....

Let's continue this thread on a different tack , how about worthy cover versions of "Harlem Shuffle" ?

I'll start with the Traits version on Garrison :huh: also released Down Under on a beautiful Scepter 45

(PS Please nobody mention Mick Jagger ... :thumbup: )

Mick Jagger :huh:
Social source share

was the faster later ('66) Bob & Earl version on 45 and if so what label? i have it on that Bob & Earl LP that got issued by various labels in the UK, but it's not on most copies of that. also have it on a Goldmine CD somewhere...

got the Traits the other day, a nice version. also Wayne Cochran on Mercury...

(not sure i've ever heard the Rolling Stones version. heard them butcher High Heel Sneakers and that was bad enough)

Social source share

was the faster later ('66) Bob & Earl version on 45 and if so what label? i have it on that Bob & Earl LP that got issued by various labels in the UK, but it's not on most copies of that. also have it on a Goldmine CD somewhere...

Sure the fast version came out as a 45 on Jay Boy. Years ago I did detail the differences between the B & C UK album and the Crestview US one, e.g. one has the vocal of "My little girl" while t'other has the instrumental. I'll try to find my post sometime but it's probably lost in the ether!

Social source share

Presumably, the White Whale copy was issued on the back of the popularity of the track in Europe and its various releases on Island records (UK, German and Dutch spring to mind).

That makes sense - I always think of White Whale as a late 60's operation, anyone know how long the label was in existence for?

Social source share

Sure the fast version came out as a 45 on Jay Boy. Years ago I did detail the differences between the B & C UK album and the Crestview US one, e.g. one has the vocal of "My little girl" while t'other has the instrumental. I'll try to find my post sometime but it's probably lost in the ether!

Yes, the fast version did come out on Jay Boy, credited to "Bob & Earl" though it is so obviously a Jackie Lee solo - Jackie Lee a.k.a Earl Nelson (being one half of Bob & Earl, "Bob" being Bob Relf and I think a 3rd vocalist took the place of one or t'other at some stage, but don't recall who it was)

Social source share

Yes, the fast version did come out on Jay Boy, credited to "Bob & Earl" though it is so obviously a Jackie Lee solo - Jackie Lee a.k.a Earl Nelson (being one half of Bob & Earl, "Bob" being Bob Relf and I think a 3rd vocalist took the place of one or t'other at some stage, but don't recall who it was)

that was my next question, why it was only a solo version! i'd forgotten he was Jackie Lee, that makes much more sense now. probably skipped past those Jay Boy ones thinking it was just a reissue of the original...

as for the LP, i've seen it on about 4 different UK labels, think mine is the B&C one, although i saw a B&C copy without the track. very confusing

Social source share

My little lad likes playing records (well putting them on), I let him have a pile of old knackered ones to mess about with, he put on Harlem Shuffle by Bob & Earl on the Trip label (bootleg?) and it sounded different to both the original and the Mirwood one - it did sound similar to the Mirwood one but a different version.

I'm probably imagining it

Social source share

Guest Bogue

'Bob Kuban & the In men' did an ok version too on the 'Look out for the cheater' album. Was a faster version bit like the Harlem Shuffle 66 release.

Social source share

My little lad likes playing records (well putting them on), I let him have a pile of old knackered ones to mess about with, he put on Harlem Shuffle by Bob & Earl on the Trip label (bootleg?) and it sounded different to both the original and the Mirwood one - it did sound similar to the Mirwood one but a different version.

I'm probably imagining it

i think the trip one was a boot

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

You sure Puppet on a string is the same backing track Bogue? Have to drag my copy out now :thumbsup::wicked:

Value on that BTW please anyone? More than the £5 I paid for it? :wicked:

Social source share

Not sure what label it's on but wasn't there a revised version of Harlem Shuffle, released circa 1968?

'Bob Kuban & the In men' did an ok version too on the 'Look out for the cheater' album. Was a faster version bit like the Harlem Shuffle 66 release.

Or 66 maybe..?

Social source share

Guest Bogue

You sure Puppet on a string is the same backing track Bogue? Have to drag my copy out now :lol::lol:

Value on that BTW please anyone? More than the £5 I paid for it? :yes:

Pretty much the same if i recall F.B. , think i put it up on the Refosoul at one point, will have a look in a mo.

Or 66 maybe..?

Sorry Simsy i didn't notice that, was 66 yes.gif Funnily enough i had been listening to it on my ipod just before this thread started.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert