Whats This Film Called?

Guest tonytone

Guest tonytone

:lol: Does anyone know the name of the film, based on an up and coming 60's soul (fictious) group, similar to the Temptations, that was shown on tv around the late 90's,

I would love to see or even get hold of the dvd if out there to buy?

It had a similar story line, ie getting rid of David Ruffin because of his drugs and drinking, with him trying to get back etc!

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:unsure: Does anyone know the name of the film, based on an up and coming 60's soul (fictious) group, similar to the Temptations, that was shown on tv around the late 90's,

It had a similar story line, ie getting rid of David Ruffin because of his drugs and drinking, with him trying to get back etc!

got a copy of the dvd from amazon usa which also included a cd of the soundtrack and out takes

Social source share

:unsure: Does anyone know the name of the film, based on an up and coming 60's soul (fictious) group, similar to the Temptations, that was shown on tv around the late 90's,

If the film is the Five Heartbeats, it was supposed to be losely based on the Dells. During it's release there were comments in the soul music press that the Dells had a cameo apprearence, but their bit was left on the cutting floor for the final cut.

I think its a cracking film and the screen version of A heart Is A House For Love is very good.

Social source share

doesn't the film take it's inspiration for the fictional group in the film from a number of real life groups in particular the Dells who acted as consultants?

The Dells were consultants in that Robert Townend (writer and director) went on tour with them. But given The Dells hold the record as the group with the same line up for the longest period I would not say it was based on them. Nobody left the Dells or died of drugs. If you watch the film the group that springs to mind is the Temptations.

All Movie guide says this

Plot Synopsisby Hal EricksonLoosely based on the life and times of several R&B artists (The Dells, The Temptations, Frankie Lymon, Sam Cooke and others) The Five Heartbeats traces the rise and fall of a popular African-American 1950s singing aggregation. The story is told from the point of view of one of the "Heartbeats," played by Robert Townsend (who also co-produced, directed and co-wrote the script with Keenan Ivory Waynans). The film is an amalgam of anecdotes drawn from real-life experiences: the long struggle upward, the first rush of success, the dishonest record-company executives, the hard-nosed but nurturing managers, the sex, the drugs, the isolation and the precipitous downward slide. The film begins and ends in the 1990s, as the middle-aged "Duck" (Townsend) ruminates on the past and makes the best of the present.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert