• Replies 208
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest cheekydi

Well seeing as its so quiet on the prestatyn front who is goin then,we will be there opening up the queen vic on the fri 12am till 11 30pm as usual,we being the middleton crew which will be

soul sam

carl fortnum

flanny

nick hacket

john weston

bob hinsley

neil jones and dolly

colin wood

ged parker

pete hulatt

mick howard

sue and geoff claxton

dave rivers

and playing a bit of sca and reggae robbo and tim fletcher

and a bit of modern from eddie batton jayne carter

So who else is makeing an apperance now we know its not for everyone but some great artists with a good live band the way it should be,and good djs in all rooms should make for a cracker of a week

Spoke to kev myself this morning and he said he has no problem being associated with these comments which is fair enough as that is his opinion.Personaly i think all the big weekenders are pretty much the same go if you like them and dont if you dont.

This is all strange and doesn't add up to me. Kev phoned us on tuesday, I was out but he told my wife that he hadn't posted these comments and someone was using his ID.

Ive known Kev for more years than I care to mention; and I wouldn't have any reason to doubt his word.

This is all strange and doesn't add up to me. Kev phoned us on tuesday, I was out but he told my wife that he hadn't posted these comments and someone was using his ID.

Ive known Kev for more years than I care to mention; and I wouldn't have any reason to doubt his word.

I said he has no problem being associated with these comments now,dont doubt you mickoo strange world of northern soul.

The tables and chairs are removed to stop people bringing records in and setting up. The stallholders pay over £100 (Inc VAT) per table. Nobody objects to people bringing 50 count boxes in, but when the tables were in the records bar area people were bringing two double row boxes in and setting a stall up on them, and that's taking the piss. So the tables were removed at the request of the stallholders. In fact last year there were less stall holders than ever before because when the first hundred quid profit (And don't forget to make a hundred quid profit you have to sell a lot more than a hundred quids worth of records) goes straight to Pontins it becomes hard work to justify selling records.

i was told last year by Pontis staff it was to do with fire regs and thats also the reason the curtains in the main room were open to the bar area ????

must say i have never seen many people setting up stall big time on the tables that were there , some with 50 or 100 box, but there was a lack of seats in the main area and the promotors should be looking in to this

maybe the tables and chairs could be put in after 3am when it thins out a bit and the legs need a rest ????

... is it Pomtins that get the £100 ???? is this weekend a pontins weekend or the midnight crew promotion ????

I've known Kev as long as I've known most people on the Northern scene, and to me the posts made under 'madkev' didn't sound true to me - they were far too literate for that pudding! (joke). In my experience he says as he sees and doesn't fanny around - but only if it concerns him personally.

The postings under the id 'madkev' are far more personal and far more political than I would have expected from him, which meant I've left off from challenging him on them.. after all he's an ugly fat bastard who makes me look like a matinee idol... but that goes without saying...

and if the person has posted these things is Kev he can tell me how much he sold me 'Wherever You Were' for at Canklow in 1994...

And you can F**K off Dutton, you always were a spawnny B*****D

Bud Harper, can't even remember sellimg it you :ohmy: Its a crap record anyway !! You probably pinches it off me too cheap !! send me your phone number and I'll put you straight as to whats what! :lol:

Mad Kev

Hello Mick

yes I had a chat to Maxine, are you on here because John Poole has asked you to stir it up a bit mate !! :ohmy:

Have your records been taken off the decks recently mate :lol::lol::lol:

I'll see you soon ,get the kettle on

Kev

I have to say this post from 'madkev' does not add up...

I have spoken to John Poole who has had a call from an outraged and bemused Kev Thomas who uses the sign on 'madkev'. He is adamant that he hasn't written this post,

This is not true-see post above its me Kev and thats Bo***ks

John Poole RANG ME !!

he gets invited to the weekender as a guest anyway so has no interest in the costs of staying

inflationary or otherwise!

Paid for a pass last time,and worked for my keep in the past doing radio

You don't pay for yours do you ??

are honest enough to post under their own usernames - it appears that this post doesn't fall into that category.......... :ohmy:

This is my log on Mad Kev No F***ker has my password and where i log on and use it is my business not anyone else's .END OF.

flamin' hell kev what they putting in the tea these days up your way ????...... :lol::ohmy:

Thing is though, reading through this thread, I cant help but wonder why do we put up with all this crap from venues and promotors??? Ok its nice to see old mates and catch up etc etc etc, hardly anybody has mentioned the music, which must mean its not really on the top of peoples lists, so if thats the case I for one wont be going, cos that aint what my scene is about. And as for having to stump up all that cash for a bloody dodgy dreary chalet or cell,gonna save my dosh and spend it on having fantastic weekenders away at Skeggy, Cleethorpes and Bridlington where nice seaside landladies cook ya a nice breakfast..... and the promotors care about the music and its delivery to us soulies, and guess what!! for the price of two tickets for Prestatyn, I'll still have enough left for me bus fare home. :lol:

I have spoken to John Poole who has had a call from an outraged and bemused Kev Thomas who uses the sign on 'madkev'. He is adamant that he hasn't written this post,

This is not true-see post above its me Kev and thats Bo***ks

John Poole RANG ME !!

he gets invited to the weekender as a guest anyway so has no interest in the costs of staying

inflationary or otherwise!

Paid for a pass last time,and worked for my keep in the past doing radio

You don't pay for yours do you ??

are honest enough to post under their own usernames - it appears that this post doesn't fall into that category.......... :ohmy:

This is my log on Mad Kev No F***ker has my password and where i log on and use it is my business not anyone else's .END OF.

Guest toffee lady

Dont know about boreing paul more variety hear than anywere else john weston and keith money in the pub last year were superb,with 5 rooms would have thought a lot of stuff to listen to .

I agree, musc in the pub is always the best for me but I think its time the 'rarer side' got a proper room of their own for the night ( not the pub) with a decent dancefloor, oldies get 2 rooms, main hall and redemption

belle x

Edited by toffee lady

I agree, musc in the pub is always the best for me but I think its time the 'rarer side' got a proper room of their own for the night ( not the pub) with a decent dancefloor, oldies get 2 rooms, main hall and redemption

belle x

about time someone suggested this, too much time given over to the overplayed oldies,lets have one night in the main room dedicated to the lesser known, but not lesser quality tunes. :thumbsup:

about time someone suggested this, too much time given over to the overplayed oldies,lets have one night in the main room dedicated to the lesser known, but not lesser quality tunes. :thumbsup:

don't think you could do it in the main room, but the room they use for the oldies could be oldies one night and lesser know the next ???? .. thought there was an upstairs room that's not used ? if there is, could this not be used as a lesser know room ?

don't think you could do it in the main room, but the room they use for the oldies could be oldies one night and lesser know the next ???? .. thought there was an upstairs room that's not used ? if there is, could this not be used as a lesser know room ?

think that room was used one year for the soulful house ? from what i can remember was small and very very hot!!!!!!!

Correct...........I did the first spot in there that night.

Cheers,

Mark R

on the positive side some fantastic tunes played in there just too small,but still think there is room for someone with a box of good quality sounds to play outside of the pub, yes it is pretty easy when you dont have a large dancefloor to fill, but some of the dj,s, like one year, when the guys from bisley did it, played good stuff some from way back in the wigan days that i aint heard for ages.

Would have to say some of the criticisms are valid because to be honest the chalets are shite,if i thought good friends of mine had been treated badly i wouldnt attend either and its freezing at this time of year as well.That said the comments about hand bagging sheep comparisons to similar weekenders are total bollocks,ALL VENUE OWNERS that hold weekenders on their sites hotels or whatever the venue do it for profit and if you can find one that doesnt let me know were it is i will run it for free.ALL the big weekenders have record stalls,which i totally agree are vastly over priced,book memorabilia and general tat stalls and the same ones that are at prestatyn will be at cleethorpes blackpool and every were else personaly i would have record stalls only and they should be free imho.I cant comment on the price of the weekender as i work in the queen vic with the middleton djs on the fri so get a free chalet,but the fact that thousands come every year must indicate that the price is worth it to an awful lot of people.The music in the main room at most of the big weekenders isnt great same stuff to many repeats but these rooms are always busy so the vast majority must be enjoying it,and prestatyn offers a great selection of soul to suit all tastes in its five rooms.The artists and the band are as good as any event running in this country and for many are worth the admission price alone.Pontins may be the hosts but the guys running it are true soul fans and are just as commited as any of the other weekender promoters who to be honest all desrve a medal to put up the shite that gets thrown at em.99 percent of people attending venues dont and shouldnt give a shite who runs it whos fallen out with who or why,they go to enjoy it if they dont they wont go back.So for john poole and fish who are running it on there own now, and thru no fault of there own, i hope its a good un and that all the hard work pays off boys.

Andy,

Out of interest, is there going to be music in the pub on the saturday afternoon this year. To me the pub has the best atmosphere and music of the weekend and it all seemed to go a little flat on the sat afternoon last year with just the telly's showing rugby/football etc?

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Guest toffee lady

about time someone suggested this, too much time given over to the overplayed oldies,lets have one night in the main room dedicated to the lesser known, but not lesser quality tunes. :ohmy:

I suggested this last year along with a question about seating..........got no reply

looks like we're in the pub again then

belle x

I suggested this last year along with a question about seating..........got no reply

looks like we're in the pub again then

belle x

And didnt we have a laugh in the pub.......remember Sunday evening and the truth about the pasties......lol

Kev's face was a picture :ohmy:

Back on topic, one of the reasons I decided not to attend this year was the lack of a designated rare room. Lifeline was superb on the Saturday afternoon last year and the music in the pub was great everytime I was in there, but the tiny dance floor is not adequate.

Please promoters, give us a rare & underplayed room for more than just a couple of hours over the whole weekend :ohmy:

Back on topic, one of the reasons I decided not to attend this year was the lack of a designated rare room. Lifeline was superb on the Saturday afternoon last year and the music in the pub was great everytime I was in there, but the tiny dance floor is not adequate.

Please promoters, give us a rare & underplayed room for more than just a couple of hours over the whole weekend :ohmy:

Totally agree, it's really disappointing that there's no "rare soul room", Lifeline or otherwise. I also really enjoyed the Saturday afternoon session. It was good to hear something different and fresher from that played in both of the oldies rooms, particulary since the trend for the main room has been to feature less and less fresher 60's and 70's sides. :ohmy:

And didnt we have a laugh in the pub.......remember Sunday evening and the truth about the pasties......lol

Kev's face was a picture laugh.gif

cmon it is what the scene was originally about, breaking great tunes and dipping back to the oldies every now and then.

Totally agree, it's really disappointing that there's no "rare soul room", Lifeline or otherwise. I also really enjoyed the Saturday afternoon session. It was good to hear something different and fresher from that played in both of the oldies rooms, particulary since the trend for the main room has been to feature less and less fresher 60's and 70's sides. angry.gif

Maybe they don't want to step on the toes of a certain upcoming weekender that does that so well? :P

However, I never understand why they sneak such DJ's (call them "upfront" or whatever) in the Redemption Room on a Saturday afternoon. Many people ignored that column and missed out - and it makes it look unpopular. I remember one year on a Saturday afternoon, Sam went on after Arthur and insisted on playing his full spot - even though the baggies and patches brigade moved in a bit early to take over (might have been a misprint in the programme with one finishing after another was meant to start). He stood his ground :ohmy:

That crossover room would make a great room for all the good stuff over the weekend - but that's just my opinion.

...as is the fact that I really can't understand the reggae and ska being played in the pub too. Are they worried they'll run out of soul records over the weekend if they play them early on?

m

Maybe they don't want to step on the toes of a certain upcoming weekender that does that so well? :ohmy:

However, I never understand why they sneak such DJ's (call them "upfront" or whatever) in the Redemption Room on a Saturday afternoon. Many people ignored that column and missed out - and it makes it look unpopular. I remember one year on a Saturday afternoon, Sam went on after Arthur and insisted on playing his full spot - even though the baggies and patches brigade moved in a bit early to take over (might have been a misprint in the programme with one finishing after another was meant to start). He stood his ground laugh.gif

That crossover room would make a great room for all the good stuff over the weekend - but that's just my opinion.

...as is the fact that I really can't understand the reggae and ska being played in the pub too. Are they worried they'll run out of soul records over the weekend if they play them early on?

m

bloody hell have to agree with you about reggae and ska,i like both but its a northern and modern weekender!

Hey there Soulies!

Karen here, Linda's daughter. Was just wondering if anyone had any spare armbands pls? 2 if possible. I don't want to stay over at Pontin's, as I only live in Warrington now. But i obviously want to join in the usual Prestatyn fun. This time I'll be with my 6month old daughter (gotta start them young) and my boyfriend. Also, does anyone know if you have to get an armband for a baby pls?

Send me a message to my inbox pls, or let my Mum know pls, she's chaoswomanuk on here.

Thanks

KTF

Crazyfool

xxx

The reggae and ska spots by robbo and tim will total an hour and a half and as last year have been requested by dozens of peps,but dont worry will post times so no one will be offended as there are 4 other rooms so must be something of interest on in one of em.I doubt the middleton residents and guests on in the queen vic will be running out of soul records.

Guest Lydia H

Sorted now..Thanks for reply.... :huh:

Thank you to whoever sorted out the passes for myself and Steve. All last minute as usual but that only adds to the fun (honest)! Looking forward to my second year of soul weekends and seeing all you mad crazy lot there. Counting down the days now :ohmy:

x

Lydia

Guest kid mohair

Thank you to whoever sorted out the passes for myself and Steve. All last minute as usual but that only adds to the fun (honest)! Looking forward to my second year of soul weekends and seeing all you mad crazy lot there. Counting down the days now :ohmy:

x

Lydia

Not like you pair to leave it to last minute,next time we see you it will be..... prestatyn....... :ohmy:

Is there anyone else pls who have 2 wristbands???? Still not got any yet. This is Chaoswomanuk's daughter! Please, please, please. Getting desperate now!!!!!! ha ha

Thanks

Karen

Source Advert