Top Singers

don't know if it's been done before,but who would you say was your favorite singer, lead vocal or man/woman that to you typifies what a true soul singer should sound like. Post some files sos we can here them. I would but don't know how to do it.

so for me its Levi Stubbs, David ruffin and the lead singer on the Imaginations, 'Strange Nieghbourhood', don't know who he is, oh yeah Millie Jackson, wow so good.

Chris15_1_141.gif

Edited by bridget
Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

JUNIOR LEWIS CHUCK JACKSON MARV JOHNSON ERNESTINE ANDERSON(THATS FROM TWO TRACKS THAT I KNOW BY HER.....ONE WAS ENOUGH THOUGH..YOU'RE NOT THE GUY FOR ME SUE) LOU JOHNSON ROY HAMILTON (THINK THERE'S A BIT OF A CROONER IN ME) LEVI STUBBS YOUNG JESSIE GARNET MIMMS

ONLY ONE LADY AT THE MO...HAVE TO DO SOME CHIN STROKING AND GET BACK TO YOU ON THE FEMALE SIDE OF THINGS......OOH GLADYS KNIGHT, BUT MORE FOR HER STYLE IN THE FURY,MAXX DAYS.

MIKE

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

My all time favourite Soul vocalists are:

Margie Joseph

Jackie Wilson

Terry Callier

Tyrone Davis

Teddy Pendergass

Edwin Starr

Esther Phillips

Fred Hughes

Otis Leavill

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Major Lance, Gene Chandler, Chuck Jackson, Walter Jackson, Lou Johnson, Roy Hamilton.

Maxine Brown batting for the ladies.

Men win 6-1.

In favour of male voices wub.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Lads:

Lee Jones

J Blackfoot

Marvin Junior

Sam Dees

Bobby Bland

Lasses:

Linda Jones

Tammi Terrell

Big Maybelle

Etta James

Brenda Holloway

Cant argue with any of those choices.

I'd also put forward OV Wright his Backbeat material stands up to any of the other lauded southern artists.

Social source share

Men

Marvin Gaye

Curtis Mayfield

Chuck Jackson

David Ruffin

Jerry Butler

Jackie Wilson

Walter Jackson

Al Green

Ladies

Maxine Brown (numero uno for me)

closely followed by Tammi Terrell

Gladys Knight

Etta James

Marie Knight

Brenda Holloway

Edited by reg
Social source share

Otis, James Carr, Bobby Bland,Tommy Tate, Aretha, Bill Brandon, Sam Dees.

Just as I expected Mr Webb!! Well, atleast with the first 3 names....but rather pleased with your inclusion of Mr Brandon and Mr Dees....choice.

For me, predictably 1st in the lads spot is Mr Jackie Wilson. 1st for the lasses Ms Maxine Brown. Oh christ I am late for work!

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Just as I expected Mr Webb!! Well, atleast with the first 3 names....but rather pleased with your inclusion of Mr Brandon and Mr Dees....choice.

For me, predictably 1st in the lads spot is Mr Jackie Wilson. 1st for the lasses Ms Maxine Brown. Oh christ I am late for work!

I remember our Jackie vs Otis discussions vividly laugh.gifwink.gif

Social source share

while they may not have sang my favourite tracks i think the most soulful voices have got to be....otis redding and bobby bland

and for the ladies...aretha.....no competition

competition....there's plenty. Both Aretha and Otis (Aretha especially) way down the list for me. As is Edwin Starr soeone mentioned, might have put on a good show but he's far from one of the best singers....all IMHO of course :thumbsup:

Social source share

I suppose if its the numbers of 45s I've got, then its Dee Dee Warwick - she pips Patti Austin on penalties as LPs count as away goals.

Bloke-wise its Big Walt for his range - although Big John Hamilton is never off the decks at the moment.

Groups - The Dells. No argument.

Bear in mind it will be different next week -especially as 'How big is big' has thrown the group decision wide open :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I suppose if its the numbers of 45s I've got, then its Dee Dee Warwick - she pips Patti Austin on penalties as LPs count as away goals.

Bloke-wise its Big Walt for his range - although Big John Hamilton is never off the decks at the moment.

Bear in mind it will be different next week -especially as 'How big is big' has thrown the group decision wide open :thumbsup:

B.J. Hamilton's minaret recordings are truly wonderful , he possesed a subtle and elegant vocal range.

Social source share

Chuck Jackson - Any of his Wand recordings

Jack Montgomery - "Don't Turn Your Back On Me" - Detroit perfection

Maxine Brown, "Yesterday's Kisses" - just blows me away, awsome vocal performance

Linda Jones - "Your Precious Love" - One of the finest soul recordings I've ever heard

Andy

Social source share

Marvin Gaye-no.1

Jackie Wilson,Curtis Mayfield,Otis Redding,Major Lance,Luthur Ingram,Chuck Jackson,

Authur Alexander,Terry Callier,Don Covay,Tommy Tate,JJ Barnes,William Bell,David Sea.

Betty Everett,Maxine Brown,Esther Phillips,Doris Troy,Big Maybelle,Etta James,PP Arnold,

Jackie Ross, Angie Stone.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Sam cooke - the greatest ever soul singer i think

Jackie Wilson

Tammi Terrell

Whitney Houston

Lou Rawles

Luther Vandross

They are my personal fav's

Social source share

Bear in mind it will be different next week -especially as 'How big is big' has thrown the group decision wide open :ohmy:

Certainly agree with Dee Dee but shows the standard when The Wicked Pickett ain't gorra menshun yet!!!!!
Social source share

don't know if it's been done before,but who would you say was your favorite singer, lead vocal or man/woman that to you typifies what a true soul singer should sound like. Post some files sos we can here them. I would but don't know how to do it.

so for me its Levi Stubbs, David ruffin and the lead singer on the Imaginations, 'Strange Nieghbourhood', don't know who he is, oh yeah Millie Jackson, wow so good.

Chris15_1_141.gif

Tough one Chris cos I bet everyone who has answered has remembered someone else later on, anyway there is my excuse in early, here goes

Bobby Womack

David Ruffin

Marvin Junior, Chuck Barksdale and Johnny Carter from The Dells

Lee Jones ( Masqueraders )

Teddy P

Willie Hutch

Lamont Dozier

Leroy Hutson

Rance Allan

Paul Williams ( Temps )

Lenny Williams ( some of the ballads from his albums are breathtaking )

Marvin Gaye

And the girls

Shirley Brown

Aretha

Linda Jones

Gladys Knight

Millie Jackson ( check out Lovingly Yours album amongst others )

Laura Lee

There goes, like I said probably think of others later

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert