Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Not at all.

What had been happening was that anything with my name on seemed to get a lot of criticism particularly here on Soul Source.

I kept away from it, and watched for years as people pre-judged without listening.

What seems to have happened is that after I finally plucked up the courage to come on here in person, and reason with people (most people can be reasoned with, although a few are beyond discussion), and people actually looked at some of what I had been doing, people realised they quite liked some of it after all.

And now, Gary The Master Blaster and Freda Payne and J.J. Barnes, are all going massive on the Northern Scene, following in the footsteps of Sidney Barnes, and the old few who slagged off every Ian Levine production, are now not being listened to by the majority here on Soul Source, which is a wonderful thing, and the dawning of a whole new day, especially after the monumental amount of work that has gone into the 200 DVD Box Set.

Hi Ian,

Do you have anything more with Marvin Cotterell?. I can't help being curious about what the reaction would be to that track - 'try walking in my shoes' in the northern room. I'm sure you could have another 'Sidney Barnes' there. Is it available on vinyl?.

Thanks

Jayne.

Social source share

Hi Ian,

Do you have anything more with Marvin Cotterell?. I can't help being curious about what the reaction would be to that track - 'try walking in my shoes' in the northern room. I'm sure you could have another 'Sidney Barnes' there. Is it available on vinyl?.

Thanks

Jayne.

For some reason I got logged out and had to change my password to get back in.

Anyway......

I wish it were on vinyl. I believe it could indeed be another Sidney Barnes.

Maybe if you ask Ady Croasdell nicely, he'll agree to put the seven inch out on Kent.

Social source share

And now, Gary The Master Blaster and Freda Payne and J.J. Barnes, are all going massive on the Northern Scene,

How can the former be going massive on the northern scene when nobody has got it to play out, you mean "it's had a bit of interest on soul source" you old exagerrator... :huh:

Social source share

How can the former be going massive on the northern scene when nobody has got it to play out, you mean "it's had a bit of interest on soul source" you old exagerrator...

Don't you mean exaggerator ???

Ian Dewhirst seems to think it's bigger than you think it is.

Blaster envy.

Social source share

Don't you mean exaggerator ???

Ian Dewhirst seems to think it's bigger than you think it is.

Blaster envy.

Don't know what blaster envy is but I don't think I have it.

All I said was I don't see how a record which does not exist as a record can be a massive northern sound within 7 days of it being posted up on a forum.

I am allowed to disagree with you now and then biggrin.gif

Social source share

Don't know what blaster envy is but I don't think I have it.

All I said was I don't see how a record which does not exist as a record can be a massive northern sound within 7 days of it being posted up on a forum.

I am allowed to disagree with you now and then

Because, my dearest Smiffy, the record came out in 1999 on SWONS and was part of the CD that was given away with the first videos, in July 1999.

Then it was on the Goldmine CD the next year, in 2000, on "You Didn't Say A Word".

And that album came out on vinyl as well, and several tracks got played off the vinyl album, which is quite rare now. I never even had a copy for myself, although I have seen it.

And lots of smaller gigs around the country do play CDs as well as vinyl. And it has had some play for nine years now, off both the vinyl album and off the CD. And lately this has escalated, which is why Ian Dewhirst picked up on it.

Social source share

Because, my dearest Smiffy, the record came out in 1999 on SWONS and was part of the CD that was given away with the first videos, in July 1999.

Then it was on the Goldmine CD the next year, in 2000, on "You Didn't Say A Word".

And that album came out on vinyl as well, and several tracks got played off the vinyl album, which is quite rare now. I never even had a copy for myself, although I have seen it.

And lots of smaller gigs around the country do play CDs as well as vinyl. And it has had some play for nine years now, off both the vinyl album and off the CD. And lately this has escalated, which is why Ian Dewhirst picked up on it.

In that case, I apologise unreservedly.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Ian, i have had the"Never said a Word" C.D. since about 1999 (i think) but at the time used to buy boat loads of C.D.,s ,and never really played it , but after reading with interest on this site about --Gary and "Cafe"--i have given it a lot of airp;ay in my car and as well the aforementioned --i also love--"My heart keeps beatin faster"---Look back over your shoulder"---"Talk of the Grapevine"--but my fave has to be --"Fire Alarm" ---superb.

On another note the other week ,whilst out walking,(with i-pod on ) as i walked along in front of St.Johns Row in Langcliffe,--Cafe reggios(??) came on ------intresting or what.

Best

N.B.

Love Ebony Allayne also. Tony COLEBY.

Social source share

memories and souvenirs is total class what a fantastic piece of soul music is it on 45? if not it should be and it should be getting plays all over superb

If a couple of kind souls on here do as promised, then it may be coming soon.

Social source share

Ian, i have had the"Never said a Word" C.D. since about 1999 (i think) but at the time used to buy boat loads of C.D.,s ,and never really played it , but after reading with interest on this site about --Gary and "Cafe"--i have given it a lot of airplay in my car and as well the aforementioned --i also love--"My heart keeps beatin faster"---Look back over your shoulder"---"Talk of the Grapevine"--but my fave has to be --"Fire Alarm" ---superb. On another note the other week ,whilst out walking,(with i-pod on ) as i walked along in front of St.Johns Row in Langcliffe,--Cafe reggios(??) came on ------intresting or what. Best N.B. Love Ebony Allayne also. Tony COLEBY.
Thankyou Tony. All I have been asking all along is for people on here to listen with open minds, not closed ears, and just give the stuff a chance and judge it on its own merits. Hitsville Chalky will be DELIRIOUS that you're enjoying The Lovetones. He's been championing it for years. Here they are - the only time it was ever performed, and most of the group have passed away now, apart from the lead singer. And the lyrics were written by the legendary Sylvia Moy. <!--id1-->

">

Social source share

Thankyou Tony.

All I have been asking all along is for people on here to listen with open minds, not closed ears, and just give the stuff a chance and judge it on its own merits.

Hitsville Chalky will be DELIRIOUS that you're enjoying The Lovetones. He's been championing it for years. Here they are - the only time it was ever performed, and most of the group have passed away now, apart from the lead singer. And the lyrics were written by the legendary Sylvia Moy.

YES AGREE TONY WHAT A FABULOUS TRACK ! TO ME THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST VOCAL SOUL TRACKS EVER , IN FACT I PLAYED IT TONIGHT AND 3 SOULIES ASKED WHERE THEY COULD GET A COPY , IAN LEVINE AND SYLVIA MOY AT THEIR BEST , THIS SHOULD BE PLAYED OUT RIGHT AT ANY VENUE . AND I LOVE FAB THE LEAD SINGER LIKE A BROTHER .

Social source share

YES AGREE TONY WHAT A FABULOUS TRACK ! TO ME THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST VOCAL SOUL TRACKS EVER , IN FACT I PLAYED IT TONIGHT AND 3 SOULIES ASKED WHERE THEY COULD GET A COPY , IAN LEVINE AND SYLVIA MOY AT THEIR BEST , THIS SHOULD BE PLAYED OUT RIGHT AT ANY VENUE . AND I LOVE FAB THE LEAD SINGER LIKE A BROTHER .

Decent track, I'll give you that. Better than most on this Sales thread, but "one of the best soul tracks ever"? Steady!

And stop shouting!

Social source share

Decent track, I'll give you that. Better than most on this Sales thread, but "one of the best soul tracks ever"? Steady!

And stop shouting!

To be fair to him, he has consistently always championed it for years now, and before that, Simon White championed it for longer than I can care to remember.

When he says "one of the best soul tracks ever", he has been saying this consistently for many years now, honest he has.

Social source share

To be fair to him, he has consistently always championed it for years now, and before that, Simon White championed it for longer than I can care to remember.

When he says "one of the best soul tracks ever", he has been saying this consistently for many years now, honest he has.

Yes I Have Ian Thank you , also Bill has , like he stated pity you didn't have the support for these Motorcity recording at the time , years down the line the Northern DJ's will pick these type of tracks up.

Social source share

I know it seems wrong to rave over one's own work, but doesn't it sound phucking WONDERFUL.

ian you should shout from the rafters about how good this is it sounds bloody amazing when it is belting out my hifi at full pitch would love to here this belting out full pelt at a club for me it has to be the best tune i have heard this year .

Social source share

I know it seems wrong to rave over one's own work, but doesn't it sound phucking WONDERFUL.

Sure does wise one!

Sounded brilliant @ Essex t'other week and sounded brilliant on the radio this afternoon! One of her best ever vocal performances IMO - she sounds better than many of her Invictus recordings and was obviously right at the top of her game when she did this! Great stuff!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

ian you should shout from the rafters about how good this is it sounds bloody amazing when it is belting out my hifi at full pitch would love to here this belting out full pelt at a club for me it has to be the best tune i have heard this year .

Thankyou.

It was made in 1991, and there are plenty of others never got discovered. Pat Lewis "Moving On" is every bit as good, for example.

It's seventeen years old.

Social source share

Thankyou.

It was made in 1991, and there are plenty of others never got discovered. Pat Lewis "Moving On" is every bit as good, for example.

It's seventeen years old.

ian,do you have a sound bite of pet lewis ?would love to here it ,wish i had discovered your motorcity output years ago some amazing soul you wrote and produced

Social source share

ian,do you have a sound bite of pet lewis ?would love to here it ,wish i had discovered your motorcity output years ago some amazing soul you wrote and produced

Thankyou.

I'm proud to have you as a new friend.

What's your name and where are you from ??

I gave Ian Dewhirst most of the "Best Of Motorcity" CDs. The Pat Lewis "Moving On" track is on one of them, and hopefully he will post us up a nice sound clip to listen to.

In the meantime, although I posted it ages back, did you hear my personal favourite Motorcity song ???

Social source share

quote name='Alan Pollard' post='862985' date='Sep 7 08, 12:49 PM' Really love this one Ian, is it available to buy on any format ?

Regards

Alan

Which one's this you're referring to ???

Social source share

I totally agree, can't stop watching it from my new DVD, makes me feel good all over. Also really chuffed that Frankie Gaye was on there, love that plus loads of others... Sorry to keep going on..!! I feel envious of you to be there doing that...

I'm very excited that you bought the DVD set of "Don't Forget The Motorcity".

Please give us all a review of it on here, and point out which tracks you like. It might help anyone else who is debating whether to buy it or not.

It's more effective if it comes from someone else other than me. I think you're great.

post-13099-1222096558_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I'm very excited that you bought the DVD set of "Don't Forget The Motorcity".

Please give us all a review of it on here, and point out which tracks you like. It might help anyone else who is debating whether to buy it or not.

It's more effective if it comes from someone else other than me. I think you're great.

If you want / need just ONE reason for buying " DFTMC " , that reason is Earl Van Dyke and " 6 x 6 " ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

If you want / need just ONE reason for buying " DFTMC " , that reason is Earl Van Dyke and " 6 x 6 " ........

Malc Burton

Yes I'm quite proud we shot all that footage of him before he died. The man was a legend and had died before the Funk Brothers movie, "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown", and I even gave them some footage for that, and have a thankyou credit at the end of it.

Social source share

When Ian Dewhirst watched through the five discs of the "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers", he had never even heard of this wonderful Blackpool Mecca classic, a record which, I notice, Smiffy has for sale currently at the OUTRAGEOUSLY cheap price of £40 on an Imperial demo. A steal at twice the price.

Social source share

I just stumbled across this purely by accident.

Now THIS is what DJs should be playing if they have an open mind. My GOD, this is mindblowing. The best new record of someone else's that I have heard for years. It put all the Sharon Jones stuff in the shade. STUNNING AND AWESOME.

I know nothing about this record. Can someone please please fill me in on who is behind it, PLEASE.

BEST NEW RECORD (THAT I DIDN'T PRODUCE) FOR TEN YEARS (That's not meant to sound arrogant, it's just that for obvious reasons, I do like my stuff). But THIS gives me goosebumps.

Social source share

Wow.

That was July 1989.

Both Marv and Syreeta are dead now.

Yes, and she signed her card for me.

When I was watching through the Motorcity DVD, Willie Hutch came on, 'Love Runs Out' (lovely), my non-northern soul family said - "your phones going".... It comes on every morning as my alarm call. What better way to wake up!

P :thumbup:

post-9683-1222120267_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

I just stumbled across this purely by accident.

Now THIS is what DJs should be playing if they have an open mind. My GOD, this is mindblowing. The best new record of someone else's that I have heard for years. It put all the Sharon Jones stuff in the shade. STUNNING AND AWESOME.

I know nothing about this record. Can someone please please fill me in on who is behind it, PLEASE.

BEST NEW RECORD (THAT I DIDN'T PRODUCE) FOR TEN YEARS (That's not meant to sound arrogant, it's just that for obvious reasons, I do like my stuff). But THIS gives me goosebumps.

been getting radio 2 plays apparently -https://www.de-angelisrecords.com/

there was a thread on ems a while ago about it

Social source share

Yes, and she signed her card for me.

Syreeta died so young of cancer.

She was so elegant and classy and sophisticated and vibrant and talented.

I got her on the Geraldo show in New York in 1990, when they did the Ladies Of Motown Special, and after the filming we went for lunch, her then husband Torrence Mathison, and me and Syreeta. They chose a mainly vegetarian restaurant and the only non vegan thing on the menu was a swordfish steak, which was actually rather tasty.

Did anyone ever see the Channel 4 program about my Motorcity reunion, a one hour program in 1989, called "The Second Time Around", and Syreeta said such wonderful things about me on it. There's a lovely shot as I remember of me helping Marv Johnson tie his bow tie. I haven't seen the program for many years now but have it somewhere. It ended up being shown three times, the original broadcast, and two later repeats.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Syreeta died so young of cancer.

She was so elegant and classy and sophisticated and vibrant and talented.

I got her on the Geraldo show in New York in 1990, when they did the Ladies Of Motown Special, and after the filming we went for lunch, her then husband Torrence Mathison, and me and Syreeta. They chose a mainly vegetarian restaurant and the only non vegan thing on the menu was a swordfish steak, which was actually rather tasty.

Did anyone ever see the Channel 4 program about my Motorcity reunion, a one hour program in 1989, called "The Second Time Around", and Syreeta said such wonderful things about me on it. There's a lovely shot as I remember of me helping Marv Johnson tie his bow tie. I haven't seen the program for many years now but have it somewhere. It ended up being shown three times, the original broadcast, and two later repeats.

======

so sad when she died...

remember an old soul mag saying when diana ross left motown she said she hoped that they would invest in her instead

dont think they ever did...

wasnt she married to stevie wonder?

Social source share