Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Hi,

Thank you,

P :lol:

Pauline.

When someone like you is GENUINELY interested in what I have done, it makes it all worth while. You don't need to thank me. I am grateful that people like you are open minded and eager to learn and discover records they never knew existed, and it is my joy and pleasure to be able to point them out to you. You and Billy Freemantle and a few others give me joy and justify my existence, against so much negativity, and when I see people appreciating artists like Hattie Littles, who never had a chance to shine, then it reaffirms my faith in what I try to do.

People who come on here, or post on Amazon, and say "Levine rubbish" - "all fake" - "all tailor made" - "all garbage" - "all synthetic disco pop" - "no-one can make real Northern Soul" - "all Levine's songs are rubbish", etc etc etc etc, like some horrific broken record, have no concept of how soul destroying it can be. Or if they do, life becomes even crueller.

Pauline, you are fantastic, and I mean this more than you can know.

Social source share

Pauline.

When someone like you is GENUINELY interested in what I have done, it makes it all worth while. You don't need to thank me. I am grateful that people like you are open minded and eager to learn and discover records they never knew existed, and it is my joy and pleasure to be able to point them out to you. You and Billy Freemantle and a few others give me joy and justify my existence, against so much negativity, and when I see people appreciating artists like Hattie Littles, who never had a chance to shine, then it reaffirms my faith in what I try to do.

People who come on here, or post on Amazon, and say "Levine rubbish" - "all fake" - "all tailor made" - "all garbage" - "all synthetic disco pop" - "no-one can make real Northern Soul" - "all Levine's songs are rubbish", etc etc etc etc, like some horrific broken record, have no concept of how soul destroying it can be. Or if they do, life becomes even crueller.

Pauline, you are fantastic, and I mean this more than you can know.

Hi Ian,

Thats very nice of you to say so.

I look at the broad picture. I will always love my northern/motown/soul records. I use to collect many years ago, and will probably always keep them. But I do get fed up playing the same stuff all of the time. Its my nature, and I like to listen to new stuff for a change. I buy a few compilation CDs, I don't always like every one listed, but thats the way it goes. Its nice to hear the ones you don't know, or don't have, and for the price you pay, if you only like two or three its still worth it.

Just had 2 of yours, and I am enjoying them.

Thank you very much,

Pauline :lol:

Social source share

Pauline.

You and Billy Freemantle and a few others give me joy and justify my existence, against so much negativity, and when I see people appreciating artists like Hattie Littles, who never had a chance to shine, then it reaffirms my faith in what I try to do.

There have been many who never had a chance to shine. The fact is that that you have given many of those another chance and few can have merited this opportunity more than Hattie Littles. I suppose the bluesiness of her voice didn't fit with the sound that Motown wanted, and I must admit that when I used to listen to those Motown compilation albums many years ago I didn't particularly enjoy her voice. I had to grow into her. But her talent was such that people will be listening to Hattie Littles when a lot of the current big names have become footnotes in the history books.

Social source share

I do get fed up playing the same stuff all of the time. Its my nature, and I like to listen to new stuff for a change. I buy a few compilation CDs, I don't always like every one listed, but thats the way it goes. Its nice to hear the ones you don't know, or don't have, and for the price you pay, if you only like two or three its still worth it.

Just had 2 of yours, and I am enjoying them.

Fantastic.

Please report back and tell me which ones stand out to you.

I need feedback and would really appreciate it. And it may help others to choose as well, if you have particular tracks to recommend.

Social source share

There have been many who never had a chance to shine. The fact is that that you have given many of those another chance and few can have merited this opportunity more than Hattie Littles. I suppose the bluesiness of her voice didn't fit with the sound that Motown wanted, and I must admit that when I used to listen to those Motown compilation albums many years ago I didn't particularly enjoy her voice. I had to grow into her. But her talent was such that people will be listening to Hattie Littles when a lot of the current big names have become footnotes in the history books.

I so agree.

I also treasure the stuff I cut with Barbara Randolph, Barbara McNair, and P.J., all three of whom are no longer with us.

Here's Barbara Randolph, and it's particularly touching in that she's singing the song to Eddie Singleton, and they're both gone now.

">
Social source share

Hattie Littles

First album - The Right Direction

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Right-direction-Ha...2303&sr=1-2

Second album - Borderline

https://ianlevine.jetshop.se/ProductPopup.a...derline_363.jpg

Best Of Hattie Littles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Best-Hattie-L...2349&sr=1-1

Social source share

I love Hattie Littles, the earlier stuff especially :thumbsup: .

Btw Ian you didn't answer me about Estelle? her album is great and not a bit like the US type of R&B...more retro soul. This is a good one

Hope you like it!

"> Edited by Reg
Social source share

I so agree.

I also treasure the stuff I cut with Barbara Randolph, Barbara McNair, and P.J., all three of whom are no longer with us.

Here's Barbara Randolph, and it's particularly touching in that she's singing the song to Eddie Singleton, and they're both gone now.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

I so agree.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

I love Hattie Littles, the earlier stuff especially :thumbsup: .

Btw Ian you didn't answer me about Estelle? her album is great and not a bit like the US type of R&B...more retro soul. This is a good one

Hope you like it!

Steve Guarnori said that America wasn't interested in retro soul.

Duffy, Amy, Estelle, and Raphael. Not to mention John Legend.

IT'S BLOODY OBVIOUS NOW THAT SOMETHING IS GOING ON.

Social source share

============

who was pj ian??..she do tlc?

Patti Jerome

Married to Harry Balk who owned Impact and Inferno Records.

She died and he was heartbroken.

She was also the Patti in Patti and Mickey, with Mickey Denton, on Impact.

She was Patti Jerome on Audio Arts.

And P.J. for two wonderful singles, one on Tamla and one on V.I.P.

Social source share

I so agree.

">

Social source share

:thumbup:

Duffy and Amy not my idea of soul Ian. :unsure:

Raphael - I'll need to listen to his new CD, but his one a few years ago had a fabulous track on it but it didn't sell.

Legend - yes good.

HOWEVER I am still not convinced that this is the second coming of soul music. There has always been good new release soul - just not so much of it compatred to the 60s / 70s.

Social source share

I'm not a fan of Amy Winehouse or Duffy, that's well documented on this site. The Duffy single was quite catchy but anything that AW does sends me slightly cold as I think her singing style is very false and no better than the likes of Joss Stone.

But Estelle is fab-a proper UK young soul artist to be proud of I think :thumbup:

Social source share

:D

Duffy and Amy not my idea of soul Ian. :)

Raphael - I'll need to listen to his new CD, but his one a few years ago had a fabulous track on it but it didn't sell.

Legend - yes good.

HOWEVER I am still not convinced that this is the second coming of soul music. There has always been good new release soul - just not so much of it compatred to the 60s / 70s.

And I respectfully think you're wrong, and something amazing is stirring itself.

Social source share

Going to the studio today, to write a new song with Jimmy James for our next album, "Soul Steppers", an all brand new album of mid-tempo 1970s style classic soul (Al Green, Marvin Gaye type style).

Last night, I showed Ian Dewhirst the five preview discs of Northern Soul's Greatest Floorfillers, and he watched a snatch of all 200 songs.

">
Social source share

I love Hattie Littles, the earlier stuff especially :unsure: .

Hope you like it!

">

Social source share

The fact is that that you have given many of those another chance and few can have merited this opportunity more than Hattie Littles.

You might enjoy seeing this piece of ancient history.

post-13099-1221681991_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Here it is, my dear.

But there only seems to be one available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Into-Hear...524&sr=8-10

Ian, me not knowing much about your recordings, can I ask you if you have ever recorded anything by Patrice Holloway ?

I love all the 60s recordings I have "Ectsasy" "Stolen Hours" "Love and desire" "Stay with your own kind"

But I cant recall hearing / viewing anything you have produced by her ?

If not why not ?

Cheers M

Social source share

Going to the studio today, to write a new song with Jimmy James for our next album, "Soul Steppers", an all brand new album of mid-tempo 1970s style classic soul (Al Green, Marvin Gaye type style).

Last night, I showed Ian Dewhirst the five preview discs of Northern Soul's Greatest Floorfillers, and he watched a snatch of all 200 songs.

">

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I highly recommend it and suggest that it should be watched within the confines of one's own home and preferably without the producer yelling like a foghorn at the intro of every song! :thumbup:

Ian D biggrin.gif

I bet that was funny!!

P :unsure:

It was LOL..... :D

He's never changed as long as I've know him. But his passion is beyond doubt and so I've learned to quite enjoy watching the Ian Levine show when he splutters out amazing stories and other stuff almost without realising he's doing it. I'd be worried if he wasn't like he is to be honest. Rather Ian at his foghorn-blasting best than someone BORING for heaven's sake. God help him if he ever took acid....

Actually what he should do is have a film crew filming HIM for a day or two. Now that would be a show worth watching........ :D

Got back at 3.00am this morning covered with white dog and cat hair with Hattie Littles embedded in my head and then fell into a deep sleep with my dreams punctuated with visions of Bobby Paris removing my intestines.......

Not for the faint-hearted Pauline......

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

It was LOL..... :thumbup:

He's never changed as long as I've know him. But his passion is beyond doubt and so I've learned to quite enjoy watching the Ian Levine show when he splutters out amazing stories and other stuff almost without realising he's doing it. I'd be worried if he wasn't like he is to be honest. Rather Ian at his foghorn-blasting best than someone BORING for heaven's sake. God help him if he ever took acid....

Actually what he should do is have a film crew filming HIM for a day or two. Now that would be a show worth watching........ :D

Got back at 3.00am this morning covered with white dog and cat hair with Hattie Littles embedded in my head and then fell into a deep sleep with my dreams punctuated with visions of Bobby Paris removing my intestines.......

Not for the faint-hearted Pauline......

Ian D :unsure:

I can only imagine it was all great fun, something we all need these days!!

P :D

Social source share

You can get the album here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Look-Back-Eb...2930&sr=8-1

There is a seven inch of "Second Look" on the Okeh label, all official, but there were only 100 copies ever pressed and I don't have a clue where you'd find one. I searched, but there are none for sale on either Amazon or E-Bay.

IAN

MANY THANKS FOR THAT.. :wicked:

YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT'S IN PETE SMITHS BOX :lol:

SWO :D

Social source share

Ian, me not knowing much about your recordings, can I ask you if you have ever recorded anything by Patrice Holloway ?

I love all the 60s recordings I have "Ectsasy" "Stolen Hours" "Love and desire" "Stay with your own kind"

But I cant recall hearing / viewing anything you have produced by her ?

If not why not ?

Cheers M

I tried so hard, so many times, but she spent years between drug rehabilitation clinics and mental institutions.

When we were filming SWONS, Brenda actually got her almost ready, but she was just too ill when the time came.

And now she's dead. Tragic.

Social source share

So my audio-visual experience was punctuated with Ian Levine sat in his control chair somewhere behind me bellowing the following comments - "What!!!! You didn't know that was Hattie Littles????", "Are you seriously telling me that you don't know Les Cokell's favourite Jay & The Techniques track????? and "Shame on you! How could you not recognise Sam Ward?????" etc, etc.....

There is no Hattie Littles track in the entire 200.

You're hallucinating.

Actually, going from our conversation, you've mixed her up with Irma Thomas.

Social source share

123 downloads and rising!

Plus I've had responses like this following playing it on the show on Sunday:

"Ian, What a tune ! You MUST send me a copy ! Alan Champ (Starpoint Radio)"

Sounds better and better............

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Reggio's"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/183698315b8bc59d/

All the more reason why it desperately needs to be on a seven inch single.

Social source share

I tried so hard, so many times, but she spent years between drug rehabilitation clinics and mental institutions.

When we were filming SWONS, Brenda actually got her almost ready, but she was just too ill when the time came.

And now she's dead. Tragic.

I did notice ! What a fecking shame !!!!!

Ah well ..... we will all end up there !

Thanks for that Ian.

It makes me really sad to known this was the case !

I will play "stolen hours" loud tonight !

Thank you.

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I did notice ! What a fecking shame !!!!!

Ah well ..... we will all end up there !

Thanks for that Ian.

It makes me really sad to known this was the case !

I will play "stolen hours" loud tonight !

Thank you.

Ian - please shed some background information on Karen Pree .........

" Girl With A Broken Heart " is an excellent recording ; are you planning anthing else with her ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Fantastic.

Please report back and tell me which ones stand out to you.

I need feedback and would really appreciate it. And it may help others to choose as well, if you have particular tracks to recommend.

So far, loving Angelo Starr, he's cool. Voice just like Edwin. And Vanessa Haynes,, she looks great. Ebony has a lush lush voice & Voices With Soul - Like A Lady - I like that...

P :lol:

Social source share

Ian - please shed some background information on Karen Pree .........

" Girl With A Broken Heart " is an excellent recording ; are you planning anthing else with her ? ........

Malc Burton

I did another song with her called "Higher Than A Mountain".

She once duetted with Marvin Gaye at Motown.

She is singing lead on Carl Dixon's new stuff.

Social source share

I did another song with her called "Higher Than A Mountain".

She once duetted with Marvin Gaye at Motown.

She is singing lead on Carl Dixon's new stuff.

That's interesting to know. 'Make Love Last' on Casablanca is one of my favourite feelgood 70s tracks :lol: Knew she'd recorded some stuff a few years back (just calling herself 'Pree' I think?) but didn't know she was still recording.

Social source share

That's interesting to know. 'Make Love Last' on Casablanca is one of my favourite feelgood 70s tracks :lol: Knew she'd recorded some stuff a few years back (just calling herself 'Pree' I think?) but didn't know she was still recording.

She was the lead singer of the Pree Sisters on Capitol.

They made two Northern Soul classics, both of which we played at The Mecca.

"Lets Get Together", and "You Got To Use What You Got".

Social source share

She was the lead singer of the Pree Sisters on Capitol.

They made two Northern Soul classics, both of which we played at The Mecca.

"Lets Get Together", and "You Got To Use What You Got".

Hello,

I recently heard a couple of unissued tracks from those sessions. Interesting stuff.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

There is no Hattie Littles track in the entire 200.

You're hallucinating.

Is it any wonder when you've been bombarded with 200 Northern Soul acts, a none-stop 3 hour running commentary courtesy of yourself piledriving into the back of my head whilst being simultaneously assualted by 4 humongous dogs and a bizarre cat?

Phew. And people think I'm weird............

Social source share

That was quick.

I am so glad I could find one for you. It has been deleted for the last twelve years now.

And Colin Curtis is now really championing "I've Seen The Light"

">

Social source share

Hi All,

Thanks to young Sean Livesey for playing the J J Barnes track - "I've seen the light" for me at the Village Soul tuscany weekender,

As I suspected it sounds even better over a big system and filled the floor!. :rolleyes:

I couldn't help smiling when a couple of DJ's went over to ask what it was too. A definate winner!.

Many thanks

Jayne.x.

So let's hear it then.....coming to a dancefloor near you soon hopefully........if anyone can find it that is! JJ's in phenomenal voice......

J.J. Barnes "I've Seen The Light"

https://www.zshare.net/download/189941188d98b7ca/

Have permission to post Mods! Enjoy!

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Is it any wonder when you've been bombarded with 200 Northern Soul acts, a none-stop 3 hour running commentary courtesy of yourself piledriving into the back of my head whilst being simultaneously assualted by 4 humongous dogs and a bizarre cat?

Phew. And people think I'm weird............

Yes but the running order is ten hours long.

I thought I did brilliantly getting the idea across in less than three hours.

Social source share