O.v.o And C.r.&.p Venues

Steve G

Where do all the boot-leggs come from, is from a few sources or are many people knocking them out??? Is it a uk thing or do they come from America/Europe????

There are only a few sources and they know who they are :thumbsup:.One day might go up to a bootleg seller and tip his boots on the floor. When he says "Oi that's my property you maniac", I'll go "No it ain't, they're bootlegs". :thumbup::(:)

Social source share

I think that was Soul Town [orange label]. Weren't they US re-issues maybe legit,maybe not. Like Trip or Million Seller.

There was that BJD. Was that Alexander Patten? First things I remember were "Let the good times roll" on French Stateside, Formations on blue MGM, "Hey girl don't bother me" on a later ABC design from original release.

Long time ago now so memory a bit hazy.

ROD

I bought Chubby Checkers- At The Discotheque on BJD early 70's -not sure if this was anything to do with Soul Sounds or Simon Soussan.

Was Baby Reconsider one of the very earliest bootlegs to be made?

Steve

Social source share

I think that was Soul Town [orange label]. Weren't they US re-issues maybe legit,maybe not. Like Trip or Million Seller.

There was that BJD. Was that Alexander Patten? First things I remember were "Let the good times roll" on French Stateside, Formations on blue MGM, "Hey girl don't bother me" on a later ABC design from original release.

Long time ago now so memory a bit hazy.

ROD

You are possibly/probably correct Rod. My memory seems to recall a light blue colour though. Probably an example of how poor these pressings were in those days simple black righting and no info at all on them!!!

Social source share

You are possibly/probably correct Rod. My memory seems to recall a light blue colour though. Probably an example of how poor these pressings were in those days simple black righting and no info at all on them!!!

From memory...

BJD included

Mary Love "Bitter Into Sweet" / "Lay This Burden Down"

Alexander Patton "A Little Loving Sometimes" / Inez & Charlie Foxx "Tightrope"

Green Light included

A Band Of Angels "Invitation" / Soul Sisters "Good Time Tonight"

Soul Sounds

01 LEON HAYWOOD. BABY RECONCIDER.

02 DONALD HEIGHT. TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE.

03 JIMMY HOLIDAY & CLYDIE KING. READY WILLING AND ABLE.

04 SHIRLEY ELLIS. SOUL TIME.

05 HUMAN BEINZ. NOBODY BUT ME.

06 TAMMI LYNN. I'M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU.

07 GENE CHANDLER. THERE WAS A TIME.

08 ROUND ROBIN. KICK THAT LITTLE FOOT SALLY ANN.

09 INVITATIONS. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME BABY.

10 EARL HARRISON. HUMPHREY STOMP.

11 ALEXANDER PATTON. A LIL' LOVIN SOMETIMES.

12 CHUCK JACKSON. CHAINS OF LOVE.

13 DEAN PARRISH. DETERMINATION.

14 PEACHES AND HERB. WE'RE IN THIS THING TOGETHER.

15 MARY LOVE. YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET.

16 BARBARA LEWIS. SOMEDAY WE'RE GONNA LOVE AGAIN.

17 MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS. BREAK OUT.

18 BLENDELLS. DANCE WITH ME.

19 SOUL SISTERS. GOOD TIME TONIGHT.

20 DEAN PARRISH. TELL HER.

21 LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS. GONNA FIX YOU GOOD.

22 CHUBBY CHECKER. (AT THE) DISCOTEQUE.

23 THE SHARPEES. TIRED OF BEING LONELY.

24 ROSCOE ROBINSON. THAT'S ENOUGH.

25 INCREDIBLES. THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY.

26 HOMER BANKS. HOOKED BY LOVE.

27 MARGIE HENDRIX. RESTLESS.

28 BOBBY SHEEN. DR. LOVE.

29 RONNIE MILSAP. AIN'T NO SOUL (LEFT IN THESE OLD SHOES).

30 DOBIE GRAY. OUT ON THE FLOOR.

Ok... I didn't do the Soul Sounds from memory!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

There are only a few sources and they know who they are :thumbsup: .One day might go up to a bootleg seller and tip his boots on the floor. When he says "Oi that's my property you maniac", I'll go "No it ain't, they're bootlegs". :unsure::P:huh:

LOL, I did exactly the same thing in 1993 when I was struggling with a TV advertised Al Green album which I put out and needed to sell around 30K copies to make it worthwhile.

I went down to Camden and saw a stall selling a bootleg CD of the same album using MY artwork etc. So I went up and asked the guy how much for the Al Green CD, he said, "a fiver mate" so I just took it. As I was about to leave he asked me if I was going to pay for it and I said "it's my album and I'm taking this to trading standards 'cos you're selling bootlegs". He then started coming around the stall, so I upended the whole stall and spilt his entire stock all over the main road. We then got into a major fight which I only lost because he had two other stall-holders help him! The cops turned up and very nearly arrested ME even though this guy was plainly selling bootlegs!

That was when I realised that bootlegs just aren't taken seriously by the authorities. I guess they have other priorities. This filters through to the present day, when I can walk into virtually any high street music chain and confidentally pick up bootlegs from their own shelves and this is 2008 I'm talking about! Hence the reason I've kinda given up on the whole bootleg thing........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Hi Ian,i always associate Contours "BHAR" with Johnny Williams " Just a little misunderstanding".Maybe someone at Tamla went thru the back catalog of CONTOURS, cos of JW getting plays, and re- discovered "Baby hit and run"?

I think the LP was just put together with unissueds to make up the numbers and because they turned out to be good. Dave Burton and others picked up on the tracks and started playing them, EMI certainly didn't cater for the Northern crowd with the LP, it was the DJs that made it big.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Think I paid less than that for mine earlier in the year, just proves quality doesn't have to be expensive and I think it was in the 2008 MP top 100, play it out quite often :thumbsup:

QoFxx

and dont forget to flip it over, the other sides eve BETTER!!!!

Social source share

Didn't it come out on a MFP (Music for Pleasure) 99p LP first, or is my mind playing tricks?

Not to my knowledge and I never heard ANYONE play it before the 7" release. If it did, then I stand corrected but I'd love someone to confirm with the release information. There would have been no reason to issue a Contours album on MFP as there was no public knowledge of the Contours in the UK market back then, as there isn't nowdays either.

Also I remember the buzz that went around the scene when the 7" was issued and could be bought in any record shop. It would have been known if it had been previously released on an MFP album I'm sure.

The only MFP album which had a rare Northern track on it was the R.Dean Taylor album with "There's A Ghost In My House" which has been written about before on here.

So come on Dave, let's have the release info on this Contours MFP album mate, otherwise I'll be accused of being a drug-addled forgetfull zombie again by certain people!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Totally agree that lumping reissues and bootlegs together is not only wrong but potentially harmful in that if punters start to see Kent/Grapevine/Goldmine etc as no better than bootlegs they'll just go for the cheaper knock-off-nigel option rather than supporting the hard work of the reissue labels, leading to fewer sales = fewer issues = music doesn't get heard etc and so forth. I know a number of people involved directly in the reissue biz are on here and I'd be interested to hear their thoughts as to whether this has an impact already?

By the way, at the last venue I was on at one of the DJs on before me played a Kent reissue of a tune that I have a rather expensive original of in my box - guess how I reacted?

I DANCED TO IT

As it takes time and effort and money to locate a true label owner it is very often the case that the bootleggers have gone ahead and done it before we can get all the connections and paperwork in place. So when we make a deal we have to take into consideration that it's already been booted and the sales will therefore be less so we can only offer a smaller advance than if it was first time available. In a few cases it won't be worth doing because of the boot.

However we have a very loyal set of customers who invariably would rather have a sound on a legit label in the best possible quality so luckily most things come out in the end. I think you may have put a deliberate mistake in your first paragraph; I don't think even the UK label owners would claim that all of their reissues are licensed correctly! It's tough for a collector to know who is right and who is wrong but over the years I think it's become clear. Let's face it if you were licensing a label from Simon Soussain would you expect the deal to be legitimate?

Social source share

Not to my knowledge and I never heard ANYONE play it before the 7" release. If it did, then I stand corrected but I'd love someone to confirm with the release information. There would have been no reason to issue a Contours album on MFP as there was no public knowledge of the Contours in the UK market back then, as there isn't nowdays either.

Also I remember the buzz that went around the scene when the 7" was issued and could be bought in any record shop. It would have been known if it had been previously released on an MFP album I'm sure.

The only MFP album which had a rare Northern track on it was the R.Dean Taylor album with "There's A Ghost In My House" which has been written about before on here.

So come on Dave, let's have the release info on this Contours MFP album mate, otherwise I'll be accused of being a drug-addled forgetfull zombie again by certain people!

Actually dear DAFZ I may be of the same ilk as I can picture a Starline LP but then again it might have been the Isleys one with summat unissued on. I'm still pretty sure the Contours was LP first though. The bloke on that other thread should remember if someone wants to give him a nudge and get him away from his love-in.

Social source share

most of this is exactly what i was trying to say on a diferent page ............ and thats the same reason i mentiond having mixed feelings . i couldent agree more my issues are simple after spending fortunes on records i like the punters to know the diference but its down to them what club they decide to go to, & unlike others on here am not going to keep crying and moaning about it .to listen to the big promotors and dj's that blame monthly soul nights all the time get over it people are geting old and for whatever reason's cant be botherd to go to yet another big do miles away .weather you like it or not its a fact . at my place i think i can say with my hand on my heart most if not all would not go further than 30 miles and if ther is nothing on they stay at home and watch telly ............i wish it was diferent we play originals all the time but the punters couldent give a flying fig or most of um dont , another thing they tel me is they see the scene now as full of politics & arsholes somthing am begining to agree with and if it gets any worse on here i will be looking for another site

Hear,hear! This whole thread is bollocks. Serves no purpose whatsoever other than to give the SOUL knobs a platform to impose their pathetic attitudes on others. If you don't like a venue for playing boots etc,DON'T GO. If you know a Dj plays boots DON'T book him/her. But for f**k sake shut up and get on with it.

STOP MOANING :thumbsup:

Edited by Nik Mak
Social source share

I think the LP was just put together with unissueds to make up the numbers and because they turned out to be good. Dave Burton and others picked up on the tracks and started playing them, EMI certainly didn't cater for the Northern crowd with the LP, it was the DJs that made it big.

OK, just checked out the release dates for "Baby Hit And Run" - The Contours and they are as follows:

7" Single

TMG 886 The Contours "Baby Hit & Run"/"Can You Jerk Like Me" February 1974

MFP LP

MFP 50054 The Contours "Baby Hit & Run" May 1974

Nowt up with my memory lads! All portions of humble pie can be sent to me now LOL!

Social source share

Actually dear DAFZ I may be of the same ilk as I can picture a Starline LP but then again it might have been the Isleys one with summat unissued on. I'm still pretty sure the Contours was LP first though. The bloke on that other thread should remember if someone wants to give him a nudge and get him away from his love-in.

ot home

Not home at present but I have a red cover Contours LP but unsure whether on MFP or Starline.

I think Baby Hit and Run is the last track on side one, and I think I bought this for BHAR before the single was available.Other tracks include Misunderstanding and Hard Been A Loser.

From memory I think an Isleys LP with Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby came out about the same time but that memory fades with old father time.

Steve

Social source share

When a record becomes available (via a licensed re-issue) there`s no need to promote it any further as obviously already has gained by then its following. Otherwise it wouldn`t have been licensed to be reissued. So it should be dropped really from playlists and make space for new and far more enjoyable stuff IMO.

Marc

Ah but there are different reasons for a company to reissue a 45. In some cases like say The Magic Touch, it's to satisfy demand, in others like the recent Millie Jacksons it's to make LP tracks available on 45 and in others like Luther Ingram or Danny Cobus it's to get a previously unissued track onto vinyl so DJs other than the ones who have had the exclusive acetates can play it out and popularise the music more, thereby upping demand for the recording and getting artists, writers (and us) more income. In the case of the 100 Club anniversary singles it is promotional for the forthcoming CD and a thank you and a memento for the customers who take the trouble to support our venue and label. Invariably the buzz from being on a collectible anniversary vinyl 45 improves sales in the long run on CD and sometimes reissued vinyl.

Social source share

From memory...

BJD included

Green Light included

Soul Sounds

Sean

BJD also did Chubby Checker - Discotheque / Cum a la be stay

Social source share

OK, just checked out the release dates for "Baby Hit And Run" - The Contours and they are as follows:

7" Single

MFP LP

Nowt up with my memory lads! All portions of humble pie can be sent to me now LOL!

I bow to your superior reference books, I was thinking of Tell Me It Is Just A Rumour Baby. There was plenty of awareness of Northern at Motown then and a couple of blokes who had half an idea so perhaps they came across the tapes in researching the LP and put it out as a punt? 3 months isn't long between releases so it's doubtful that it wasn't already scheduled for LP release by the time of its 45 debut.

Social source share

7" Single

MFP LP

Ian D :unsure:

Sorry Ian

What flavour do you want? :huh:

At least i got the the Bottle LP date right :thumbsup:

Dave

Edited by davetay
Social source share

I bow to your superior reference books, I was thinking of Tell Me It Is Just A Rumour Baby. There was plenty of awareness of Northern at Motown then and a couple of blokes who had half an idea so perhaps they came across the tapes in researching the LP and put it out as a punt? 3 months isn't long between releases so it's doubtful that it wasn't already scheduled for LP release by the time of its 45 debut.

Yep, that Sharon Davis Motown book with all the UK releases and Comps has been worth it weight in gold over the years...... :thumbsup:

And, yes, I'm pretty sure that "Baby Hit & Run" was a punt. I wonder who was responsible for it? Anyone we know....?

Social source share

Sorry Pete, I missed this post.....and no, not really just replying to you. Quite a few others defending the play owt DJ's....I know I'll never change the way it is...but this is a forum, and I'm a grumpy old man... :thumbsup: ...what can you do.... :unsure:

Phil.

Fair do's Phil, but just for the record i am not defending the 'play anything DJ's' i'm merely pointing out that theres nothing to be gained (by me) by worrying about them, just the way i see it, personally, i wouldn't choose to attend Biffo's night, nor if i was a promoter would i choose to book him, but if he carries on doing what he's doing and people carry on paying to see/listen to him, then theres nothing anyone can do about it, so for me the best attitude is let em get on with it,

Pete

Social source share

.....the only one apart from the massive (and sadly,overplayed),Isley's - My love is your love" :thumbsup:

Social source share

.....the only one apart from the massive (and sadly,overplayed),Isley's - My love is your love" whistling.gif

Might be hammered a bit too much these days, but to think it sat on the shelf for decades until Kev Briscoe blew the dust off it at PITCHES.

A classic example of the evolution of the Northern scene - so strange that it was a 'wouldn't touch it with a BargePole' kinda thing - ignored for all those years - and is now 'overplayed'.

Continuing Ian's post, I do remember the Isleys 'Trouble' off the Starline LP getting played round my way. In fact there's quite a few previously unreleased and pretty wonderful tracks on there!

Also... remember playing locally the Martha Reeves track "One Way Out" off the MFP LP - blew me away when I heard it at Wigan covered up! :D Anyone remember who it was covered as?

Think if you look back (listen back) at the MFP Motown albums there's some fabulous stuff on there!

:boxing:

Sean

Social source share

From memory...

BJD included

Green Light included

Soul Sounds

rolleyes.gif

Sean

Thank God for that Sean, I started to feel quite inadequte after reading down that list :D:boxing::lol::shades:

Social source share

Might be hammered a bit too much these days, but to think it sat on the shelf for decades until Kev Briscoe blew the dust off it at PITCHES.

A classic example of the evolution of the Northern scene - so strange that it was a 'wouldn't touch it with a BargePole' kinda thing - ignored for all those years - and is now 'overplayed'.

Continuing Ian's post, I do remember the Isleys 'Trouble' off the Starline LP getting played round my way. In fact there's quite a few previously unreleased and pretty wonderful tracks on there!

Also... remember playing locally the Martha Reeves track "One Way Out" off the MFP LP - blew me away when I heard it at Wigan covered up! ohmy.gif Anyone remember who it was covered as?

Think if you look back (listen back) at the MFP Motown albums there's some fabulous stuff on there!

:D

Sean

I can honestly say that I only ever heard One Way Out played as being by Martha & The Vandellas at Wigan

Social source share

Hear,hear! This whole thread is bollocks. Serves no purpose whatsoever other than to give the SOUL knobs a platform to impose their pathetic attitudes on others. If you don't like a venue for playing boots etc,DON'T GO. If you know a Dj plays boots DON'T book him/her. But for f**k sake shut up and get on with it.

STOP MOANING :D

Nick that wasn't the approach you had at Yate was it????? :boxing: Don't remember any DJs playing bootlegs there.

Please spare us the "soul knobs" stuff to describe people who have higher standards than you obviously do. Advocating not playing bootlegs in your world is a "pathetic attitude" is it now? Wow!!!! - perhaps you need to catch up a bit after your 20 years off of the scene fella. boxing.gif

Social source share

g.gif

Sean

Sorry Mr Hampsey, have to pull you up on this one, was a staple play in last hour at Shotts all nighter late 80's and that was about as Northern a do as you could get, think fair to say that was where it got started, a tip from Jim O'Hara, it was you boys down South that took a while to catch up (for once! :D )

Social source share

Sorry Mr Hampsey, have to pull you up on this one, was a staple play in last hour at Shotts all nighter late 80's and that was about as Northern a do as you could get, think fair to say that was where it got started, a tip from Jim O'Hara, it was you boys down South that took a while to catch up (for once! :D )

That's you told, Hampsey!

You bloody southerner.

wink.gif

Paul

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

this started has a OVO thread now it seems 20 pages later and it turns out OVO can mean anything copies off albums and cd's pressings issues second issues etc etc, give it another few pages and i'm sure OVO will also cover boots wink.gif

lists are for old people OVO (Old Very Old) :D

Social source share

That's you told, Hampsey!

You bloody southerner.

Paul

Rooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllll Outtttttttttttt the Barrrrrrrrrel..... apples & pears..... diamond geezer!

OK - things aint been quite the same since I moved out of Yorkshire...

...all the way down to Derbyshire! :boxing:

Right, who's round is it for the Shandy's!

laugh.gif

Social source share

Rooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllll Outtttttttttttt the Barrrrrrrrrel..... apples & pears..... diamond geezer!

OK - things aint been quite the same since I moved out of Yorkshire...

...all the way down to Derbyshire! :D

Right, who's round is it for the Shandy's!

laugh.gif

Mad, innit?

Eh?

Cor blimey.

Social source share

Sorry Mr Hampsey, have to pull you up on this one, was a staple play in last hour at Shotts all nighter late 80's and that was about as Northern a do as you could get, think fair to say that was where it got started, a tip from Jim O'Hara, it was you boys down South that took a while to catch up (for once! biggrin.gif )

Hiya Jock... even late 80's is well after its issue (15 + years?).

Certainly wasn't a popular play down here until early/mid 90's, but either way... the point is that it was more of an 'Oxfam Shop find' for years... as opposed to a dancefloor favourite!

Just wouldn't have fit the bill before then...

...but I accept that the Scots beat the Anglo Saxons to it!

Slainte!

Social source share

this started has a OVO thread now it seems 20 pages later and it turns out OVO can mean anything copies off albums and cd's pressings issues second issues etc etc, give it another few pages and i'm sure OVO will also cover boots :shades:

lists are for old people OVO (Old Very Old) tongue.gif

Ha ha. We've cleared a lot of stuff up on this, LP tracks, CDs / MP3s for modern soul, UK issues, previously unissued stuff, legitimate reissues...................but one thing still sticks - BOOTLEGS ARE FOR CISSYS* wink.gif

*apart from sean who collects them

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Also... remember playing locally the Martha Reeves track "One Way Out" off the MFP LP - blew me away when I heard it at Wigan covered up! :shades: Anyone remember who it was covered as?

g.gif

Sean

I often played "One Way Out" in the north east, long before it was played at Wigan. I think I tipped it in Black Echoes and Alan Rhodes was the first to play it at Wigan, probably around 1977.

Whatever happen to Alan, by the way?

And lots of people had played "My Love Is Your Love (Forever)" before it became really popualr. I also remember playing another track from the same MFP album but I can't recall which one.

Paul

Social source share

Sean says it was played at wigan 73/74. Cracking piece of Motown too.

Don't listen to Sean, his memory isn't what it used to be. :shades:

Seriously, I didn't start with Black Echoes until 1976. And I remember playing it before Alan started to play it at Wigan.

Maybe it had been played earlier at Wigan by another jock?

Or maybe I'm a few years older than I thought I was?

No, that can't be right because I still look so young.

wink.gif

Social source share

I often played "One Way Out" in the north east, long before it was played at Wigan. I think I tipped it in Black Echoes and Alan Rhodes was the first to play it at Wigan, probably around 1977.

Whatever happen to Alan, by the way?

And lots of people had played "My Love Is Your Love (Forever)" before it became really popualr. I also remember playing another track from the same MFP album but I can't recall which one.

Paul

the other track is "Its out of the question" Paul,,,KEV. :shades:

Social source share

the other track is "Its out of the question" Paul,,,KEV. :shades:

Thanks, Kev.

Either that or "Catching Up On Time".

Those MFP and Starline albums were so cheap, less than a pound each. Even schoolkids could afford to buy them.

Music For Pleasure???

More like Music For People-with-less-than-one-pound-to-spare!

wink.gif

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!