O.v.o And C.r.&.p Venues

Steve G

Thanks, Kev.

Either that or "Catching Up On Time".

Those MFP and Starline albums were so cheap, less than a pound each. Even schoolkids could afford to buy them.

Music For Pleasure???

More like Music For People-with-less-than-one-pound-to-spare!

wink.gif

Paul

Yeah but they f*cked them up - horrible stereo tracking on them. :shades: They always sounded awful on a home stereo

Social source share

Thanks, Kev.

Either that or "Catching Up On Time".

Those MFP and Starline albums were so cheap, less than a pound each. Even schoolkids could afford to buy them.

Music For Pleasure???

More like Music For People-with-less-than-one-pound-to-spare!

wink.gif

Paul

Yeah but they f*cked them up - horrible stereo tracking on them. :shades: They always sounded awful on a home stereo

Social source share

"Electronically-reprocessed-stereo" or something like that. I think they were trying for an artificially wide sound. "Stereo enhanced mono" would have been better.

I loved all those "warnings" on the sleeves.

WARNING: Do not swallow this record! If swallowed, please consult your nearest hi-fi dealer.

wink.gif

Paul

Social source share

The only MFP album which had a rare Northern track on it was the R.Dean Taylor album with "There's A Ghost In My House"

I'm sorrry to be of thread but when was this tune ever rare, back on thread I would say that this track is OVO Ordinary Very Ordinary.

Chris

When was this tune ever rare? Are you serious? :shades:

When TAGIMH was first found there was only one known U.S. V.I.P. copy in the UK and it was the biggest record on the Northern Soul that year (1973 I think)! In fact it was so popular as a direct result of being discovered on the Northern Soul scene that it eventually got released in the U.K. and made No.3 in the UK chart in May 1974.

It's a tremendous record! Produced by Holland, Dozier, Holland it's still the epitome of perfect Northern Soul record.

I guess you had to be there!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

When TAGIMH was first there was only one known U.S. V.I.P. copy in the UK and it was the biggest record on the Northern Soul that year (1973 I think)! In fact it was so popular as a direct result of being discovered on the Northern Soul scene that it eventually got released in the U.K. and made No.3 in the UK chart in May 1974.

It's a tremendous record! Produced by Holland, Dozier, Holland it's still the epitome of perfect Northern Soul record.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Errhh I was, just a pop record Ian imo,

Chris

Social source share

Chris

Well, if you were there, then you'll know that despite being issued on a Motown subsidiary it did jack shit in the U.S. and only became a 'pop' record AFTER it broke on the Northern scene.

Would it still be a pop record if the Isleys or Four Tops had done it? Or is 'cos R. Dean Taylor was white that you're classifying it as a pop record?

Is it so different from the other Holland-Dozier-Holland classics? Just curious as to why you think it's a pop record.........?

Ian D :shades:

Social source share

Chris

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion ...unless you're a girl of course.

I think these debates are best settled by men.

:shades:

Paul

Social source share

When TAGIMH was first found there was only one known U.S. V.I.P. copy in the UK and it was the biggest record on the Northern Soul that year (1973 I think)! In fact it was so popular as a direct result of being discovered on the Northern Soul scene that it eventually got released in the U.K. and made No.3 in the UK chart in May 1974.

Ian D biggrin.gif

The MFP album by R Dean Taylor "Indiana wants me" with a map as a background was directly as a result of the success of "There's a "ghoostie in ma hoosie". But that was the worst one of the lot. I remember playing it and thinking "Oh my God this Motown stuiff ain't all good". Even the Supremes one (the next worst one) had "He's all I got" on it - one of their finest moments. How do I know all this? - well as a 14 year old these LPs seemed like a good way of finding out about Motown and soul for 99p - pocket money and all that. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Well, if you were there, then you'll know that despite being issued on a Motown subsidiary it did jack shit in the U.S. and only became a 'pop' record AFTER it broke on the Northern scene.

Would it still be a pop record if the Isleys or Four Tops had done it? Or is 'cos R. Dean Taylor was white that you're classifying it as a pop record?

Is it so different from the other Holland-Dozier-Holland classics? Just curious as to why you think it's a pop record.........?

Yeah I have some sympathy for it. It was one of the first "northern" sounds I ever heard - something very exciting, dark and underground about it that went against the grain of what Stevie Wonder etc was doing caused me to dig deeper and find out more. Sure it sounds pretty naff now, but back in the day it was quite an influencial side.

Social source share

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion ...unless you're a girl of course.

I think these debates are best settled by men.

Paul

Apologies for my ignorance, I trust you'll apologise for your stupid remarks? Non the less rare or not it is still a pop tune and bieng white as absolutely nothing to do with it, there are plenty of blue eyed soul tunes around as i'm sure you are aware, . the tune was released for the pop market as were most of them the idea to make a bit of cash. the fact that it was latched on by the N/scene doesn't change that and it's subsequent success in the charts proves it. Now I'll get my coat, cause I'm of topic.

Edited by bridget
Social source share

The MFP album by R Dean Taylor "Indiana wants me" with a map as a background was directly as a result of the success of "There's a "ghoostie in ma hoosie". But that was the worst one of the lot. I remember playing it and thinking "Oh my God this Motown stuiff ain't all good". Even the Supremes one (the next worst one) had "He's all I got" on it - one of their finest moments. How do I know all this? - well as a 14 year old these LPs seemed like a good way of finding out about Motown and soul for 99p - pocket money and all that. :shades:

Actually that's wrong Steve!

The "Indiana Wants Me" album was in every Newsagent in the county BEFORE Levine found the U.S. V.I.P. 45. Thus we had a situation where literally every DJ at the time was desperate to get hold of the record and it was literally right under everyones noses without 'em realising it! Myself included until the word got out

The exact opposite to what happened with "Baby Hit & Run" in fact!

Good era for 'unknown' Motown whatever the merits though!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Apologies for my ignorance, I trust you'll apologise for your stupid remarks? Non the less rare or not it is still a pop tune and bieng white as absolutely nothing to do with it, there are plenty of blue eyed soul tunes around as i'm sure you are aware, . the tune was released for the pop market as were most of them the idea to make a bit of cash. the fact that it was latched on by the N/scene doesn't change that and it's subsequent success in the charts proves it. Now I'll get my coat.

It was a harmless joke, as indicated by the :shades: icon.

Take your coat back off, everyone is welcome here.

Paul

Social source share

The "Indiana Wants Me" album was in every Newsagent in the county BEFORE Levine found the U.S. V.I.P. 45. Thus we had a situation where literally every DJ at the time was desperate to get hold of the record and it was literally right under everyones noses without 'em realising it! Myself included until the word got out

I think you're right, Ian.

I remember the word going around at school. Everyone rushed out and bought the LP. The single came later.

Paul

Social source share

...as a 14 year old these LPs seemed like a good way of finding out about Motown and soul for 99p - pocket money and all that. :shades:

99p or five school dinner tickets for those who didn't get much pocket money.

No wonder we were all so thin.

Social source share

Apologies for my ignorance, I trust you'll apologise for your stupid remarks? Non the less rare or not it is still a pop tune and bieng white as absolutely nothing to do with it, there are plenty of blue eyed soul tunes around as i'm sure you are aware, . the tune was released for the pop market as were most of them the idea to make a bit of cash. the fact that it was latched on by the N/scene doesn't change that and it's subsequent success in the charts proves it. Now I'll get my coat, cause I'm of topic.

All records are released for the Pop market surely? Especially Motown ones above most others. My point was that Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote a pantheon of great songs and I don't necessarily see TAGIMH as being any different from say, "I Can't Help Myself", "Nowhere To Run", "You Keep Me Hangin' On" etc, etc. Or were ALL Holland-Dozier-Holland songs pop? I just don't get why TAGIMH is that different Bridget/Chris..........

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I think you're right, Ian.

I remember the word going around at school. Everyone rushed out and bought the LP. The single came later.

Paul

Course I'm right Paul! This was pre-drugs........... :shades:

Plus I ran round and bought every copy I could lay my hands on and flogged 'em @ Wigan that weekend.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

All records are released for the Pop market surely? Especially Motown ones above most others. My point was that Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote a pantheon of great songs and I don't necessarily see TAGIMH as being any different from say, "I Can't Help Myself", "Nowhere To Run", "You Keep Me Hangin' On" etc, etc. Or were ALL Holland-Dozier-Holland songs pop? I just don't get why TAGIMH is that different Bridget/Chris..........

I remember club adverts in B&S where they listed the top sounds but in the case of R Dean Taylor they emphasised that they were playing it on a SINGLE, not the cheap LP.

If it wasn't R Dean Taylor, it may have been the Isley Brothers or another MFP album track.

Was that the birth of the OVO brigade?

Social source share

I guess its all down to personal taste, mind you tagimh still gets the floor moving in a quite a few places around here.

Social source share

I often played "One Way Out" in the north east, long before it was played at Wigan. I think I tipped it in Black Echoes and Alan Rhodes was the first to play it at Wigan, probably around 1977.

Whatever happen to Alan, by the way?

And lots of people had played "My Love Is Your Love (Forever)" before it became really popualr. I also remember playing another track from the same MFP album but I can't recall which one.

Paul

Nah Paul... I was playing "One Way Out" locally when it first came out on the Sounds Superb / Mfp "Dancing In the Street" LP. Got to be around 73?

It was soon after I heard it played at Wigan and announced as being by someone else - I dunno who was the DJ - may have been Dave Evison?

Certainly it became very Big a few years later.

But in this case the Suvverners definitely beat you to it!

biggrin.gif

Can we have an MFP thread?

Sean

Social source share

I guess its all down to personal taste, mind you tagimh still gets the floor moving in a quite a few places around here.

It's typical of those instantly catchy songs.

They can quickly become annoying if you hear them too often but they can sound great if you haven't heard them for years.

Paul

Social source share

Ha ha. We've cleared a lot of stuff up on this, LP tracks, CDs / MP3s for modern soul, UK issues, previously unissued stuff, legitimate reissues...................but one thing still sticks - BOOTLEGS ARE FOR CISSYS* wink.gif

*apart from sean who collects them

You're a Cad Mr G....

.... I only collect Soul Sounds and OOTP because they are a Bona Fide part of our History.

Guess that's my problem... I collect every darn thing! huh.gif

US / UK / Oz / EU / 60's / 70's / 80's / 90's / Y2K / LP's / CD's / Acetates / Test Pressings / Tapes / 8 Tracks.... etc!

Great for those quiet nights in though! :shades:

Social source share

Nah Paul... I was playing "One Way Out" locally when it first came out on the Sounds Superb / Mfp "Dancing In the Street" LP. Got to be around 73?

It was soon after I heard it played at Wigan and announced as being by someone else - I dunno who was the DJ - may have been Dave Evison?

Certainly it became very Big a few years later.

But in this case the Suvverners definitely beat you to it!

biggrin.gif

Can we have an MFP thread?

Sean

As long as we can also include related EMI labels such as Starline and Sounds Superb.

Sounds Superb? I wonder who came up with that name?? And would anyone admit to it???

Brilliant.

Social source share

I remember club adverts in B&S where they listed the top sounds but in the case of R Dean Taylor they emphasised that they were playing it on a SINGLE, not the cheap LP.

If it wasn't R Dean Taylor, it may have been the Isley Brothers or another MFP album track.

Was that the birth of the OVO brigade?

Haha LOL! It probably was Paul!

However it doesn't look too sexy for the OVO crew knowing that "There's A Ghost In My House" - a No.3 Pop hit selling almost 500,000 copies, triggered one of the first OVO debates does it? :shades:

Thinking about it, had the OVO debate been as rigerous back then as it is now, then TAGIMH would never have become a hit as there was only the one original known US copy back then........until everyone found the album for under a quid!

I'm trying to think of another example of early OVO situations and I can't think of too many before R. Dean Taylor funnily enough.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Haha LOL! It probably was Paul!

However it doesn't look too sexy for the OVO crew knowing that "There's A Ghost In My House" - a No.3 Pop hit selling almost 500,000 copies, triggered one of the first OVO debates does it? :shades:

Thinking about it, had the OVO debate been as rigerous back then as it is now, then TAGIMH would never have become a hit as there was only the one original known US copy back then........until everyone found the album for under a quid!

I'm trying to think of another example of early OVO situations and I can't think of too many before R. Dean Taylor funnily enough.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian,

Do you realise it has taken 21 pages for us to get to the roots of this OVO phenomenon?

I think it would have been easier to discuss the history of the world.

But less fun.

wink.gif

Paul

Social source share

Ian D :thumbsup:

OK, I'll take your word on that as I was a nipper then, but why would MFP / Sounds Superb put out an album by R Dean Taylor - most odd, as hardly anyone would have heard of him.

Social source share

Think that logic is flawed Ian. If Levine played it, others would have searched out copies and the demand would still have built up - same as with other Motown things that became northern hits.

Social source share

but why would MFP / Sounds Superb put out an album by R Dean Taylor - most odd, as hardly anyone would have heard of him.

he'd had biggish hits in the 60s with Indiana Wants Me and Gotta See Jane - in fact aren't one or both of those tracks on the Motown Chartbusters LP?

MFP was EMI's budget label, and were just chucking stuff out there that they had the rights to - in this case hoping people would remember a hit or two (would only have been 5 or so years earlier) and buy the compilation LP since it was cheap.

tapes sitting in the archive aren't generating revenue, so there was plenty of this kind of activity going on at the time, to get money from old material, often using contemporary photos of the artists to add to the confusion...

Social source share

OK, I'll take your word on that as I was a nipper then, but why would MFP / Sounds Superb put out an album by R Dean Taylor - most odd, as hardly anyone would have heard of him.

Steve, Both "Indiana Wants Me" and "Gotta see Jane" were big hits in the UK and constant Radio spins at the time. That's why the "Indiana" MFP was released. Every Pop & Soul fan knew who R Dean Taylor was.

:thumbsup: S'true!

Social source share

Ian D :thumbup:

agreed an excellent tune...dont get me wrong cant remember the last time i played it and if i heard it out would walk off the floor cos i like most of you am bored with it but along with 'out on the floor' tainted love' etc it is a great tune...and once when you werent all so judgemental,didnt have the choice of today and were just out to dance and have a good time most of you thought so too...although now it seems cool to deny it ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

soulfusion had a room playing all this type of motown,atlantic etc on saturday and although i only passed through it to get to the toilet it was verry busy all night !!...so some people still love it and fair play to them ...its all soul at the end of the day and still better than alot of the shit made today !.....or am i just getting old cos i sound like me mum when i was a kid ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

LOL, I hate to shoot you down Steve, but I've just realised that if there's any gaps in your knowledge then they're from this era which, as you quite rightly point out, was when you were a nipper. So since this is probably one of the few times I'll be able to contradict your good self by saying that in actual fact, R. Dean Taylor WAS a household name in the U.K. by the early 70's as he'd already had two Top 20 UK hits by 1971:-

19/6/68 Gotta See Jane No.17 TMG656

3/4/71 Indiana Wants Me No.2 TMG763

This explains the significance of TAGIMH when it was found in '73. It SHOULD have been known as R. Dean Taylor was essentially a hit act in the UK. But it wasn't KNOWN at all plus the song was written by H-D-H and was a pounding stomper hence the excitement when the record was unveiled on the Northern scene. Plus there was only one known OV which added to the buzz!

I do of course defer to you on most Rare Soul matters post '76! :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Think that logic is flawed Ian. If Levine played it, others would have searched out copies and the demand would still have built up - same as with other Motown things that became northern hits.

Maybe, but isn't TAGIMH on U.S. V.I.P. still incredibly rare? I've got a feeling that this was one of the rarer ones 'cos no one could find it at the time, however I take your point. The record would have had a longer lifespan and possibly not become a hit had the the MFP album not been found......

Social source share

Maybe, but isn't TAGIMH on U.S. V.I.P. still incredibly rare? I've got a feeling that this was one of the rarer ones 'cos no one could find it at the time, however I take your point. The record would have had a longer lifespan and possibly not become a hit had the the MFP album not been found......

From the website "Don't Forget The Motor City".......

There's A Ghost In My House (Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr-R. Dean Taylor) publ. Jobete

R. Dean Taylor; rec 26-Oct-66 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier

30-Mar-67; 45 (M): V.I.P. 25042 A

Oct-68; LP (M): Tamla Motown TML11077 Motown Memories Vol. 2 [ UK ]

09-Jul-01; CD (S): Spectrum 544 515 2 Essential Collection [ UK ]

25-May-07; CD (M): Hip O Select B0008993-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 7 1967

Social source share

John Anderson turned some up mid/late 70,s only £4 each if i remember.

P. S. I still like this record, but i wouldn,t want to hear it out.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

The MFP album by R Dean Taylor "Indiana wants me" with a map as a background was directly as a result of the success of "There's a "ghoostie in ma hoosie". But that was the worst one of the lot. I remember playing it and thinking "Oh my God this Motown stuiff ain't all good". Even the Supremes one (the next worst one) had "He's all I got" on it - one of their finest moments. How do I know all this? - well as a 14 year old these LPs seemed like a good way of finding out about Motown and soul for 99p - pocket money and all that. :thumbsup:

Hi Steve, if you were only 14 in 73, it explains how you could have bootlegs at school.

That means the school leaving age had gone up to 16 by than so you left school in 76.

In my earlier post i said i didn,t no what a bootleg was when i was at school, but i was 18 in 73 and left school at the age of 15.

Dave

Social source share

When was this tune ever rare? Are you serious? :thumbsup:

100% Agree, "looking down in my coffee cup" and than the clapping fantistic you had to be there.

Same with the Velvets, "oops" than all the arms in the air, great times.

Social source share

100% Agree, "looking down in my coffee cup" and than the clapping fantistic you had to be there.

Same with the Velvets, "oops" than all the arms in the air, great times.

Aw the Velvets! Did you see the clip on Youtube? I was gutted that they didn't put their hands up on the "Wooh" bit :thumbsup:

Social source share

I know that buddy!

Think the thread would have died a death though, if I hadn't brought 'Soul Sounds' 'Reissues' and 'MFP' to the party!

Far more interesting than boring OVO!

:thumbup:

talking of MFP albums'..............another track on the Isley's MFP LP is "Born to love you".Sounds just about right for now for certain venues.Any history on this one Sean?.Is it on a Tamla single?...KEV :thumbsup:

Social source share

OK chaps/chapettes got a question for you all...................I think this has been done before on SS before as a separate thread but is very relevant to this thread imho-

How would a jock playing 'The Belles - Let me do it - Soul Fox' be viewed in the OVO debate? Would it qualify as say, playing a Grapevine 2000 unreleased track or carving an unreleased CD track would be?

Think there was some discussion of whether it was them and I think Kent reissued it on CD by someone else? (sorry forgot the details!)

'If' Mr Soul Fox 'legally' released this via the guy who owned the Mirwood masters would the playing of this brilliant 60's Northern dancer be allowed on the pink Soul Fox label :rolleyes:

Thoughts please?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

OK chaps/chapettes got a question for you all...................I think this has been done before on SS before as a separate thread but is very relevant to this thread imho-

How would a jock playing 'The Belles - Let me do it - Soul Fox' be viewed in the OVO debate? Would it qualify as say, playing a Grapevine 2000 unreleased track or carving an unreleased CD track would be?

Think there was some discussion of whether it was them and I think Kent reissued it on CD by someone else? (sorry forgot the details!)

'If' Mr Soul Fox 'legally' released this via the guy who owned the Mirwood masters would the playing of this brilliant 60's Northern dancer be allowed on the pink Soul Fox label :rolleyes:

Thoughts please?

Cheers

Steve

might have to take a vote :no::D:lol: on that one

Social source share

Hi Steve, if you were only 14 in 73, it explains how you could have bootlegs at school.

That means the school leaving age had gone up to 16 by than so you left school in 76.

In my earlier post i said i didn,t no what a bootleg was when i was at school, but i was 18 in 73 and left school at the age of 15.

Dave

I left school in 77, but by then had done the Wigan thing, bought pressings and discovered original vinyl. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!