Lil'lavair And The Fabulous Jades-i'd Be So Happy

arnie j

hi all, just listened to this on cd, brill tune in m opinion, remember it being played in the early 80s but cant remember where, leicester oddfellows ? anyway, i love it, which jades is it ? the same guys as im where its at ? think there was a couple of groups with this name, what label and how rare how much etc ? any info appreciated{wheres boba ? bet he would know}ps, whos lil' lavair ?

cheers

jason

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi all, just listened to this on cd, brill tune in m opinion, remember it being played in the early 80s but cant remember where, leicester oddfellows ? anyway, i love it, which jades is it ? the same guys as im where its at ? think there was a couple of groups with this name, what label and how rare how much etc ? any info appreciated{wheres boba ? bet he would know}ps, whos lil' lavair ?

cheers

jason

Actually they're from outside of LA. The funk side "Cold heat" was reissued by Now Again (associated with Stones Throw). The reissue had the mono cut of "Cold heat" on the flip, not "I'll be so happy". Here's the full story:

https://www.nowagainrecords.com/lil_lavair_...jades_cold_heat

Photos of the band and a black & white scan of the original are here (the original label is red):

https://www.nowagainrecords.com/lil_lavair_...us_jades_photos

- honky

Social source share

Actually they're from outside of LA. The funk side "Cold heat" was reissued by Now Again (associated with Stones Throw). The reissue had the mono cut of "Cold heat" on the flip, not "I'll be so happy". Here's the full story:

Photos of the band and a black & white scan of the original are here (the original label is red):

- honky

Right on, Honky.

They were from Upland, Ca. (next to Pomona, 50 miles East of Los Angeles). The label (Lennan) made very small local pressings of country, polka, and square dance 45s...Lil' Lavair is one of maybe 5 or 6 contemporary releases. And all are very rare.

All the band members were supposedly tracked by Eothan (from Stones Throw records) and not ONE had a decent copy to master the re- release from (the tapes are MIA). The Lennan label owner's only copy of "I'd be so happy" was ruined on that side, so it wasn't used for the reissue. This explains why only the b-side, "cold heat", was used.

I would have loaned em' my copy, which is M-. Too late now, oh well.

I have only found it three times in 25 years...the other 2 copies belong to members on this forum now :elvis: You know who you are...

I left something out.....The label owner threw away all the stock sitting in his garage 15 years ago. He kept one copy of everything so I was told..

That has a lot to do with it never popping up for sale.

I have never seen it on Ebay or any lists in the last several years...

Anyone?

Edited by MikeVague
Social source share

- honky

Fabulous uplifting record. One of the many stand out tracks from Honky's wonderful CD's.

Can we expect another serving? :elvis:

Social source share

Right on, Honky.

They were from Upland, Ca. (next to Pomona, 50 miles East of Los Angeles). The label (Lennan) made very small local pressings of country, polka, and square dance 45s...Lil' Lavair is one of maybe 5 or 6 contemporary releases. And all are very rare.

All the band members were supposedly tracked by Eothan (from Stones Throw records) and not ONE had a decent copy to master the re- release from (the tapes are MIA). The Lennan label owner's only copy of "I'd be so happy" was ruined on that side, so it wasn't used for the reissue. This explains why only the b-side, "cold heat", was used.

I would have loaned em' my copy, which is M-. Too late now, oh well.

I have only found it three times in 25 years...the other 2 copies belong to members on this forum now :elvis: You know who you are...

I left something out.....The label owner threw away all the stock sitting in his garage 15 years ago. He kept one copy of everything so I was told..

That has a lot to do with it never popping up for sale.

I have never seen it on Ebay or any lists in the last several years...

Anyone?

i think kevin cox had one on ebay in the last few years but i could be remembering wrong

Social source share

thanks for the brill info guys, does anyone know who discovered it and where was it found etc ? who played it first and where ?

I think my first memory was Gary Rushbrooke, top dj, occasional plays about 80ish?? Assume it may have been played before him though

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The history of the band has been pretty well researched, thanks to the work of the guys in the US, but I'd be interested to know more about it's 'scene history'. I've asked a few folk about the records history and those that know it all seem to give different opinions ranging from "Richard Searling spin", "Stafford spin", to "it's a bit of an oldie, but I can't remember ever hearing it out". I guess it's rarity got in the way of it ever becoming popular? Someone mentioned Tim Brown put it on a Wigan CD? Did it ever get played at Wigan?

From a musical point of view, in my opinion, it's one of the best double siders around. The funk side, Cold Heat, is without doubt one of the top 10 funk 45s. It's outstanding. Maybe only the Groove Merchants on Suimi and Carleen and The Groovers 'Can We Rap' pip it to the top spot for me.

If it was as common as Jo Jama the flip side 'I'll Be So Happy', which is a similar sort of bouncey up lifting style to Jo Jama, would be huge on the northern scene. Surely? It pisses all over My Life IMO.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

fabulous tune...........so it must have been you played it at rugby then.

I can't remember, I was royally drunk. But probably, yeah :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Hi guys. I know someone who has an Emidisc of this backed with a Lesley Gore track.

Credited to The Fabulous Jades.Purchased back in the day,but probably not a Searling spin.

My buddy will come on SS later to fill in details,date/cost/who purchased from.,,Kev :lol:

btw ,great tune James.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi guys. I know someone who has an Emidisc of this backed with a Lesley Gore track.

Credited to The Fabulous Jades.Purchased back in the day,but probably not a Searling spin.

My buddy will come on SS later to fill in details,date/cost/who purchased from.,,Kev :lol:

btw ,great tune James.

So what did Tim Brown put it on a Wigan CD for? :D

Social source share

I think my first memory was Gary Rushbrooke, top dj, occasional plays about 80ish?? Assume it may have been played before him though

think you are spot on there mate, gary rushbrooke at leicester early 80s, thats where i first heard it anyway

Social source share

Guest Dark Horse

big record for Gary Spencer too towards end of 80's.
Chalky,wasn't Jerry & the Uniques also on the same label,titled(Yes he Will) wasn't this played c/u? at some time.

Regards.

Social source share

Totally agree Ted...."Lonely man" the official A side is in my all time top 10. An absolute belter of a side with some driving brass.....which always reminds me of the brass section in the "Pinkertones - It's not the way you walk" on Queen G records. Sides like "lonely man" are the essence of northern. This and The Pinkertones are never far from my decks....be great for someone to play these out again...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert