• Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ANY ONE Know current prices of

GWENN DOUGLASS----Picture on the wall

i think this is top quality keith

manship sold one for £300+ last auction, i think it's a £300 record myself but only an opinion

dan

Social source share

Manships gwenn douglass finished at 381 pounds and the one on ebay a few days before finished at 387 i think--- great double sider --i love it

link

do you know what jo i've never actually played the other side

will do so now

often do this, very stupid, could have some great sounds tucked away on other sides of things i don't even like any more!

Social source share

Gwenn Douglas can't sing to save her life IMHO  :thumbsup: 3-400 quid.  Biggie for Gary Spencer once upon a time, long time ago  :D

link

you need to get that cloth out of your ears chalky

Social source share

ANY ONE Know current prices of

GWENN DOUGLASS----Picture on the wall

SEMENOLES--i cant stand it-----HI-LITE

BERNICE HOLLAND---ive got to love you---ECLIPCE

Hello Keith

Trust you are well my man.

Bernice Holland around 300-350 but saw one sold for 80 dollars

Dazz

Social source share

here's a gwenn douglass soundfile

sounds awesome played loud

so where does everyone stand...

(don't say 'on the fucking thing' because that would be lame and predictable)

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

link

Bloody hell! My mum sings better than that, seriously. That is absolutely terrible singing "the picture on my waaaauuuahhhuuuallll.

Makes Tobi Legend sound like a singer.

Horses for courses mind you.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Bloody hell! My mum sings better than that, seriously. That is absolutely terrible singing "the picture on my waaaauuuahhhuuuallll.

Makes Tobi Legend sound like a singer.

Horses for courses mind you.

:thumbsup:

link

unbelievable...who's your mum?

Social source share

I think Gwenn Douglas is shit. A really poor record with nothing good about it IMO. One of many that gives northern soul a bad name and make you feel embarassed to be into northern in case some unsuspecting person who didn't know better would hear this and think this was what you were into.

Social source share

I think Gwenn Douglas is shit. A really poor record with nothing good about it IMO. One of many that gives northern soul a bad name and make you feel embarassed to be into northern in case some unsuspecting person who didn't know better would hear this and think this was what you were into.

link

same could be said of Lynne Randell

Social source share

Guest hammy

link

I like it - sold my copy a year or so ago for £350.

No one's saying it's the greatest northern track of all time but there's nothing wrong with it. Incredible how such a record can inspire insanely negative opinions... :shades::thumbsup:

Hammy - pissed off at having to work {at very short notice} on a Sunday and thus missing Sheridans!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest Dan

i think there might be something else behind at least one of the opinions posted, hammy...

like you say, not the greatest record ever, and she isn't aretha franklin, but certainly not as bad as some suggest and as i say it is one of those records which climbs a notch or two in quality when played loud

Social source share

Nothing else behind my post, I just feel this record is so criminally bad I could not keep my feelings to myself. Why play or listen to anything but great music? Or at least half decent music? There is plenty to choose from. The thing that brought me in to northern in the first place was that the music was great, better than anything I had heard, and it still is, but when you hear records like this you just become depressed. What is it that people like about it? The comically poor vocals? The dated and quirky beat and production? The overall corny lyrics and approach? I really wonder. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest hammy

It's getting to the point on here that you can predict who will lampoon a particular record down to the exact language they're gonna use!!!!! :shades::thumbsup:

I just played the mp3 again - and I'll say it again: it's not exceptional, but it's nothing like as crap as certain people are making out. If I thought it was great, I wouldn't have sold it and if I thought it was crapola I would never have taken it in a trade.

Hammy

Social source share

I liked it very much when Gary Spencer was still playing this covered up about 12 years ago now and always thought it was by Otheia Barnes on Mickays...which of course poofed wrong the day I had that Mickays 45. I still wouldn`t rush to the toilet if the michelle 45 would be played but wouldn`t like to have it myself these days.

What I do not understand is why people are still paying so much for it as it sure is not "hot" and also is around in quantity lately...

Marc

Social source share

Seminoles is rare on that label but hard to sell, I think I took about £70 for one in the end, probably books at £125

link

I would also always go for the Checkmate release as it is on good old vinyl while the Hi Lite is on styrene. Maybe that is also what makes it not so easy to sell ?

Marc

Social source share

SIT ON THE FENCE WITH THE GWENN DOUGLAS TRACK - QUIRKY AND LISTENABLE - BUT NOT SURE IF I WOULD PLAY IT PLAY IT OUT IF I HAD ONE - CERTAINLY WOULDNT PAY THE ASKING PRICE OF £300 OR MORE FOR IT - £20 TOPS

Social source share

Guest Dan

What is it that people like about it? The comically poor vocals? The dated and quirky beat and production? The overall corny lyrics and approach? I really wonder. :wicked:

link

who said i was talking about you?

but since you mention it:

vocals...we'll agree to disagree but i think they're not bad at all and at the end of the day it's in the ear of the beholder

the dated beat and production...well i kinda like that sort of thing, being mainly into 60s and 70s soul

and the lyrics...not really any less corny than a thousand other 'northern soul' songs. It's a girl in love with a bloke trying to express it...though i agree the line about spending ages on his nose is quite amusing)

overall, it's a soul record from the 60s by a struggling artist on a budget label...it's not 'shit' even if you don't like it

anyway, i couldn't give a toss, i didn't write or record it, you're entitled to your opinion dude

Social source share

Guest Dan

It's getting to the point on here that you can predict who will lampoon a particular record down to the exact language they're gonna use!!!!!  :wicked:   :shades:

I just played the mp3 again - and I'll say it again: it's not exceptional, but it's nothing like as crap as certain people are making out.  If I thought it was great, I wouldn't have sold it and if I thought it was crapola I would never have taken it in a trade.

Hammy

link

so true on every point hammy

Social source share

Guest Dan

it's good

it's crap

it's good

it's crap

it's good

it's crap

it's good

it's crap

it's good

it's crap

it's good

it's crap

it's good

mum...she's pulling my hair

she started it

no i didn't, she did

she did

she did

didn't

did

didn't

did

didn't

she's pulling my hair again

somebody is going to be sent to their room soon

i will agree to agree with everybody

Social source share

link

Haven't you just sold one one ebay Christian? Didn't make anywhere near the £387 someone stated though if I remember rightly.

I think this is the first time I've disagreed with Dan as we seem to have very similar tastes, but I really can't see the attraction with this record. Flip's not bad though :wicked:

Social source share

link

Dreadful. What has this got to do with soul?

Social source share

I would disagree with this point as well.

link

Me too, nothing soul about it IMO. Not just a matter of opinion either I think, does an old pop record become a soul record if some people think it is soul? I don't think so anyway.

Social source share

No, I did. And I'm quite happy with the outcome to say the least.  :thumbsup:

link

Exactly, I have so far never had this record and therefore never sold it either. I would like to have a few copies to sell though. The last one on ebay that Sebastian sold made over $700 and it was in shit condition with lots of hiss too. Truly amazing.

Social source share

Guest hammy

Dreadful. What has this got to do with soul?

link

Posts like this do amuse me.

I know we all have our own opinions but the internet seems to be full of people who claim they know what 'soul' is, but can only define it by saying what it 'isn't' :shhh::lol:wink.gif

Hammy

Social source share

Soul is black american music originating in gospel, often with a highly emotional vocal performance and strong rhythm, i.e. nothing like Gwen Douglas and other crap like it.

Social source share

Soul is black american music, blues is black american music, jazz is black american music, hip hop is black american music, and so on. :shhh:

Social source share

Soul is black american music, blues is black american music, jazz is black american music, hip hop is black american music, and so on. :shhh:

link

:lol:thumbsup.gif Utter bollocks Christian. So your saying that if the artist isn't black it ain't soul???

Social source share

What is bollocks? Are you suggesting soul is white american music? Or maybe white german music? Soul is black american music, period. Various white and other artists have recorded in the black american musical style of soul with varying degrees of success and authenticity, but that doesn't change the fact that soul is black american music. You know what I think on the subject, I think most people on the planet should know by now. I don't see the point in having yet another 'debate' where countless of 'soul fans' will rise to defend the white cause with a passion you simply never see in any other soul related context. Soo boring by now. :shhh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert